Author Topic: Quitting for the 100th time  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Jman

• Quitter
  • Interests: Fishing, Golf, Grilling, Family, Cycling
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Quitting for the 100th time
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 06:45:00 AM »
Well, I am doing this for the second time. I quit on January 6, 2011 and made it to HOF. I continued to post for another month or so and thought I had this addiction under control. Long story short, went hunting in November and decided to have just one.... before I really paid attention to what I was doing I was back to a half can a day. There isnt just one. You either quit or you use.

My use started when I was around 14 or 15 years old playing baseball. I started off dipping SKOAL wintergreen (my favorite) and eventually moved into Copenhagen. At one point, I dipped a can a day regularly. This habit has gone on for about 24 years and I know if I dont quit, it is going to kill me. By the way, tobacco has taken the life of my Uncle and Grandaddy... Pancreatic and bladder cancer is an ugly way to die.

I am certainly not a wealth of information here but if I have learned anything... you have to post daily and make that promise to your quit brothers that you will not use that day. Dont worry about tomorrow or 2 years from now... just worry about today. When you cant handle it, jump on the site and talk to someone or read about someone who is going through exactly what you are experiencing. I am doing this again and on Day 3... it sucks and I get to do it all over again. The good news is that it can be done and you will start feeling better but you cant lose sight of the fact that the NIC bitch will strike when you least expect. Use this group ... it will be one of the best decisions you have made.

Offline lospenguinos

• Quitter
  • Interests: CrossFit, rugby, hockey
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Quote from: SCHogfan
The wife just bought the P90X, may need to give that a try
Can't say how it it affect the quit, but purely on the fitness level, know some people that have had great results on the P90X.

To help the craving in the moment and can't go workout, already did, etc you might want to try just stretching. Check out mobilitywod.blogspot.com. This guy puts up a new stretching bit every day, each is about 10 mins. Browse thru old ones if you get multiple craves / day.
Gosh, Mister, my teeth feel cleaner. But what about the hole in the wall?

Offline Maverick55

• Quitter
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Quote from: mclovin
Actually you did the best thing by staying so busy. Yes, it will get better.
Wow!!! Hey there little buddy! I've been looking for you Mclovin! You haven't posted in the April group for DAYS! What's up, you trollin'? You just fuckin' around? Post role or get the hell out of here!

I gotta itch in my craw for this guy... something about 'em - "Mclovin"...
Quit Date: 11/06/10
HOF Date: 02/14/11
2nd Floor: 05/25/11
3rd Floor: 09/02/11
4th Floor: 12/12/11
5th Floor: 03/19/12
6th Floor: 06/27/12

Offline SCHogfan

• Quitter
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Quote from: Jman
The wife just bought the P90X, may need to give that a try.
Depending on your current fitness you may want to start with the "Lean" program. The classic is a bitch. I did classic for about 45 days before time away from home gave me an excuse to stop. I just started back up Sunday on "Classic" and quickly decided I was scaling back to "Lean" for 90 days.
I ride the painted whore. She gives good universal screams.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

QUIT DATE 1/6/11

Offline Maverick55

• Quitter
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Quote from: jcook
Quote from: Greg5280
Quote from: Maverick55
Hey JMan - I'm in sales as well and found two things of utter importance - working out - for all the reasons below, but honestly I just felt better and it cleared my head every time.  I work out at night and can honestly see/feel the difference during the day.  Second, stay away from alcohol.  I replaced dip with alcohol early on in my quit and it only increased the fog and made it last longer.  The fog should lift for you soon, it may come and go for short periods over the next few weeks, but I have not seen the fog since ~ day 30 or so - which coincided with me starting the workout and foregoing the liquor!
Yea. I biked about 20 miles last night and only had a beer. Feel pretty strong, time to go make some calls!
Working out is a great way to kill craves, reduce anxiety, and overall just feel much better. I started doing P90X and feel better than I have in years.

You do not have to do anything extreme, just get your heart rate up for 30 mins a day. You will feel much better !!
Working out is a great way to deal with the dip-rage that comes as well. I had, and still have, severe dip-rage that comes on. It is getting better and they come less and less, but working out is a great way to deal with them without taking anything out on your family. Great job guys!
Man, I cant believe how pissed off you can get quitting. I'm pretty high strung anyways but the rage has been strong. Cycling with some intensity seems to help a little. Interestingly enough, I feel better right now than I have felt in several years.

I've been on the P90X program for the past few weeks - if you want something to get your mind off of dipping, that will sure as hell do it! Post up how you feel after your first round of Plyo and again after your first Legs and Back routine!! Holy shit!

Offline shortround

• Quitter
  • Interests: Quitting. Quit. Quitition. Quitocracy. Quitorama. Quitography. Quit-a-lit-a-ding-dong. And finally, your mom.
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
No doubt about it, exercise helps a lot. I started lifting again and it has been a huge stress relief. Just go in there grunt, yell and throw some weights around. I love running too but it's a little cold for me now, and I get too bored on treadmills.
Freedom - 8 January 2011
HOF Date - 17 April 2011, 2nd Floor - 26 July 2011, 3rd Floor - 3 November 2011, 4th Floor - 11 February 2012

How bad do you want to quit? - posted by NOLAQ
"I'm an F-18 nic bitch, and I'll destroy you in the air." - The Sheen

"The truth, when you finally chase it down, is almost always far worse than your darkest visions and fears." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
I run a lot and it does relieve the stress, but, I still get dip rage. I had a bout Friday night. Embarrassing. I just hate it. They are coming less frequently though.

Offline Jman

• Quitter
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Quote from: jcook
Hey JMan - I'm in sales as well and found two things of utter importance - working out - for all the reasons below, but honestly I just felt better and it cleared my head every time.  I work out at night and can honestly see/feel the difference during the day.  Second, stay away from alcohol.  I replaced dip with alcohol early on in my quit and it only increased the fog and made it last longer.  The fog should lift for you soon, it may come and go for short periods over the next few weeks, but I have not seen the fog since ~ day 30 or so - which coincided with me starting the workout and foregoing the liquor!
Yea. I biked about 20 miles last night and only had a beer. Feel pretty strong, time to go make some calls!
Working out is a great way to kill craves, reduce anxiety, and overall just feel much better. I started doing P90X and feel better than I have in years.

You do not have to do anything extreme, just get your heart rate up for 30 mins a day. You will feel much better !!
Working out is a great way to deal with the dip-rage that comes as well. I had, and still have, severe dip-rage that comes on. It is getting better and they come less and less, but working out is a great way to deal with them without taking anything out on your family. Great job guys!
Man, I cant believe how pissed off you can get quitting. I'm pretty high strung anyways but the rage has been strong. Cycling with some intensity seems to help a little. Interestingly enough, I feel better right now than I have felt in several years.

Offline jcook

• Quitter
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »

"I like a man who grins when he fights." - Winston Churchill

Day 1: 11-28-10
HOF : 03-07-11

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »

Offline Jman

• Quitter
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Hey JMan - I'm in sales as well and found two things of utter importance - working out - for all the reasons below, but honestly I just felt better and it cleared my head every time. I work out at night and can honestly see/feel the difference during the day. Second, stay away from alcohol. I replaced dip with alcohol early on in my quit and it only increased the fog and made it last longer. The fog should lift for you soon, it may come and go for short periods over the next few weeks, but I have not seen the fog since ~ day 30 or so - which coincided with me starting the workout and foregoing the liquor!

Offline Maverick55

• Quitter
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Hey JMan - I'm in sales as well and found two things of utter importance - working out - for all the reasons below, but honestly I just felt better and it cleared my head every time. I work out at night and can honestly see/feel the difference during the day. Second, stay away from alcohol. I replaced dip with alcohol early on in my quit and it only increased the fog and made it last longer. The fog should lift for you soon, it may come and go for short periods over the next few weeks, but I have not seen the fog since ~ day 30 or so - which coincided with me starting the workout and foregoing the liquor!

Offline Jman

• Quitter
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Quote from: Scowick65
I think is sort of compressed it. After a run, I could feel the fog and then it would clear. It certainly helped me through the first three days. I ran a half marathon hard 12 hours in, sweated a boatload and rehydrated. I probably cleared a lot of nicotine.

Overall, I think running helps with the stress levels and such, but you still experience all of the symptoms of the quit.
Thanks. Have a good night.

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
I think is sort of compressed it. After a run, I could feel the fog and then it would clear. It certainly helped me through the first three days. I ran a half marathon hard 12 hours in, sweated a boatload and rehydrated. I probably cleared a lot of nicotine.

Overall, I think running helps with the stress levels and such, but you still experience all of the symptoms of the quit.

Offline Jman

• Quitter
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Quote from: Scowick65
It took me a good three weeks to clear much of the clutter. There is still some clutter, but not like the first three weeks. Keep going. You only have to quit one time in your life.
Scowick,
Does running help you with the "head games"?