Author Topic: This one time at band camp  (Read 6735 times)

Offline T-Cell

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2012-02-10
  • Interests: Flyfishing, ice hockey (go Avs, go Pioneers!).Wife Sandra, 2 adult kids.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: This one time at band camp
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
Quote from: Nolaq
Quote from: Evil_Won
Quote from: Scowick65
Quote from: Minny
Quote from: jost2brown
Quote from: Coach
Quote from: Kubiak
Thanks to all those sweethearts below, that made me blush.

Here's a thought... Can everyone ask themselves, "how important is my quit"?  What are you willing to sacrifice in the best interest of staying quit?

Let me give an example... I played rugby full-time for 7 years, four in college and three after, until I got tired of icing all the time and my ankles/knees/back affecting my ability to walk around a jobsite.  I would still play a game or two a year, whether it was an alumni game at college, or a mens game locally.  There was nothing better than having a dip after getting off the pitch.  Fat lip, exhausted lungs, bruises all over my body... it was the first thing I would think about when walking off.  Well, a dip and a beer, they went together. 

Since being quit for 501 days, I have not dared risk my quit by playing rugby.  I miss it.  There have been two alumni matches that I've avoided because of this.  I'm able to keep in touch with the sport by coaching youth now, but I can't tell you how much I miss playing.  I would like to think that the Fall of 2014 will be a good time to play, because I will be two years quit by then.  But you know what?  If I don't trust myself, I wont.

My quit is that important.

This quit gets easier, but we're still human and still addicts.  Craves like eating used to come every fucking day, sometimes every hour; now, they are maybe once a week, or after a restaurant I haven't been to in ages. 

So ask yourself... how important is your quit?  What are you willing to give up in order to avoid dipping?  Are there any craves that you don't trust yourself around yet?  If there are, it's okay.  A bigger man will recognize this and stay away from it, than the caver that uses it as a shitty excuse to cave.
I think it's time you face that demon. I admire your willingness to give up something you love to preserve your quit. However, there comes a time in every quitter's life where we must do those things that we once associated with dipping, be it mowing the lawn, work, driving, playing rugby, etc. I think you'll get more satisfaction from playing rugby and staying quit than you will from avoiding it all together.
^^ what the dick with teeth said.

I avoided a lot of shit in my first year, but i wish I had not in retrospect. Especially considering all the stuff that happened that I couldnt avoid (kids birth/hospitalization, dads hospitalization/death, etc).

I think had I pushed through the triggering events in a more controlled, planned fashion (like the barner and his game, or planning to go fishing and stocking up on seeds/fireballs and letting some quit brothers know, etc) it would have made the unplanned events that were completely out of my control easier.

Either way, the message of your quit being the priority and not putting it at danger is a good one. But life WILL happen, and it WILL happen on its own terms and in my opinion its better to have some firing range time under your belt before you are truly tested.
Have no fear: no one is going to force you to dip. And (to paraphrase another quitter much smarter than I) you are an intelligent human and it is a plant. My bet is on you.

I love facing "trigger events" and winning because it makes me stronger. THE trigger event is approaching: the annual fly in duck hunt with the guys. I can't wait to enjoy the trip sans nic.
Yep. The nic bitch can get a little cocky. She thinks she owns a rugby field or a deer stand or a gas station. Sometimes it's fun just to walk in her "house", take a shit on the carpet, give her the finger and leave. If you see her, tell her you own this house as well.

:)
The Nic-Bitch will forever be a hellhound on your heels. Addicts can't forget that. Congrats on 500 and 501.
Print this out and carry it in your pocket:
FREEDOM!!!!!  -primal scream as I rip the patch off my shoulder

OK now I will try to post for real
That was the moment you took her head on. Own it. Don't let the bitch win, whether its a Rugby field, or a long drive, or after Christmas dinner.

Fuck her.
Couldn't agree more. Take her on and kick her ass everywhere you want to be. I wouldn't recommend that for someone with 20 days in, but once a quitter has some winning experiences it shouldn't be that difficult. Simply be prepared, you have the quit savvy to win again every time.
Fish, eat, sleep. Repeat.
quit date 2/10/12
HOF date 5/19/12
1 Year 2/10/13
2 Years 2/10/14
8th Floor 4/19/14

Offline Nolaq

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
Quote from: Evil_Won

Here's a thought... Can everyone ask themselves, "how important is my quit"?  What are you willing to sacrifice in the best interest of staying quit?

Let me give an example... I played rugby full-time for 7 years, four in college and three after, until I got tired of icing all the time and my ankles/knees/back affecting my ability to walk around a jobsite.  I would still play a game or two a year, whether it was an alumni game at college, or a mens game locally.  There was nothing better than having a dip after getting off the pitch.  Fat lip, exhausted lungs, bruises all over my body... it was the first thing I would think about when walking off.  Well, a dip and a beer, they went together. 

Since being quit for 501 days, I have not dared risk my quit by playing rugby.  I miss it.  There have been two alumni matches that I've avoided because of this.  I'm able to keep in touch with the sport by coaching youth now, but I can't tell you how much I miss playing.  I would like to think that the Fall of 2014 will be a good time to play, because I will be two years quit by then.  But you know what?  If I don't trust myself, I wont.

This quit gets easier, but we're still human and still addicts.  Craves like eating used to come every fucking day, sometimes every hour; now, they are maybe once a week, or after a restaurant I haven't been to in ages. 

So ask yourself... how important is your quit?  What are you willing to give up in order to avoid dipping?  Are there any craves that you don't trust yourself around yet?  If there are, it's okay.  A bigger man will recognize this and stay away from it, than the caver that uses it as a shitty excuse to cave.
I think it's time you face that demon. I admire your willingness to give up something you love to preserve your quit. However, there comes a time in every quitter's life where we must do those things that we once associated with dipping, be it mowing the lawn, work, driving, playing rugby, etc. I think you'll get more satisfaction from playing rugby and staying quit than you will from avoiding it all together.

I avoided a lot of shit in my first year, but i wish I had not in retrospect. Especially considering all the stuff that happened that I couldnt avoid (kids birth/hospitalization, dads hospitalization/death, etc).

I think had I pushed through the triggering events in a more controlled, planned fashion (like the barner and his game, or planning to go fishing and stocking up on seeds/fireballs and letting some quit brothers know, etc) it would have made the unplanned events that were completely out of my control easier.

Either way, the message of your quit being the priority and not putting it at danger is a good one. But life WILL happen, and it WILL happen on its own terms and in my opinion its better to have some firing range time under your belt before you are truly tested.
Have no fear: no one is going to force you to dip. And (to paraphrase another quitter much smarter than I) you are an intelligent human and it is a plant. My bet is on you.

I love facing "trigger events" and winning because it makes me stronger. THE trigger event is approaching: the annual fly in duck hunt with the guys. I can't wait to enjoy the trip sans nic.
Yep. The nic bitch can get a little cocky. She thinks she owns a rugby field or a deer stand or a gas station. Sometimes it's fun just to walk in her "house", take a shit on the carpet, give her the finger and leave. If you see her, tell her you own this house as well.

The Nic-Bitch will forever be a hellhound on your heels. Addicts can't forget that. Congrats on 500 and 501.
Print this out and carry it in your pocket:
FREEDOM!!!!!  -primal scream as I rip the patch off my shoulder

OK now I will try to post for real
That was the moment you took her head on. Own it. Don't let the bitch win, whether its a Rugby field, or a long drive, or after Christmas dinner.

Fuck her.
What is your major malfunction?!?!?!?!

Offline Evil_Won

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: none
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »

"Dunno about you HP, but LOOT doesn't like getting assfucked, by anyone....and certainly won't chalk it up to 'shit happens'."

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »

Offline Minny

• Quitter
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »

Quit Date 7/12/13
HOF Date 10/19/13

My HOF Speech

Offline J2b

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
    • May 11
  • Quit Date: 01/23/2011
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »

The problem is not the problem.  The problem is your attitude about the problem.  Do you understand?

Draw Fire

If its too much trouble to post roll call, you could always fuck off.

Quit Group: May 11 3 Balled Quitters

• Quit: 01/23/11

Offline Coach Steve

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Being quit. Staying quit. Pretty much just quitting like fuck.
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »

Here's a thought... Can everyone ask themselves, "how important is my quit"? What are you willing to sacrifice in the best interest of staying quit?

Let me give an example... I played rugby full-time for 7 years, four in college and three after, until I got tired of icing all the time and my ankles/knees/back affecting my ability to walk around a jobsite. I would still play a game or two a year, whether it was an alumni game at college, or a mens game locally. There was nothing better than having a dip after getting off the pitch. Fat lip, exhausted lungs, bruises all over my body... it was the first thing I would think about when walking off. Well, a dip and a beer, they went together.

Since being quit for 501 days, I have not dared risk my quit by playing rugby. I miss it. There have been two alumni matches that I've avoided because of this. I'm able to keep in touch with the sport by coaching youth now, but I can't tell you how much I miss playing. I would like to think that the Fall of 2014 will be a good time to play, because I will be two years quit by then. But you know what? If I don't trust myself, I wont.

This quit gets easier, but we're still human and still addicts. Craves like eating used to come every fucking day, sometimes every hour; now, they are maybe once a week, or after a restaurant I haven't been to in ages.

So ask yourself... how important is your quit? What are you willing to give up in order to avoid dipping? Are there any craves that you don't trust yourself around yet? If there are, it's okay. A bigger man will recognize this and stay away from it, than the caver that uses it as a shitty excuse to cave.
Make Your Decision

Offline duathman

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 6-5-2013
  • Interests: Running, cycling
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »

Here's a thought... Can everyone ask themselves, "how important is my quit"? What are you willing to sacrifice in the best interest of staying quit?

Let me give an example... I played rugby full-time for 7 years, four in college and three after, until I got tired of icing all the time and my ankles/knees/back affecting my ability to walk around a jobsite. I would still play a game or two a year, whether it was an alumni game at college, or a mens game locally. There was nothing better than having a dip after getting off the pitch. Fat lip, exhausted lungs, bruises all over my body... it was the first thing I would think about when walking off. Well, a dip and a beer, they went together.

Since being quit for 501 days, I have not dared risk my quit by playing rugby. I miss it. There have been two alumni matches that I've avoided because of this. I'm able to keep in touch with the sport by coaching youth now, but I can't tell you how much I miss playing. I would like to think that the Fall of 2014 will be a good time to play, because I will be two years quit by then. But you know what? If I don't trust myself, I wont.

This quit gets easier, but we're still human and still addicts. Craves like eating used to come every fucking day, sometimes every hour; now, they are maybe once a week, or after a restaurant I haven't been to in ages.

So ask yourself... how important is your quit? What are you willing to give up in order to avoid dipping? Are there any craves that you don't trust yourself around yet? If there are, it's okay. A bigger man will recognize this and stay away from it, than the caver that uses it as a shitty excuse to cave.
I faced my biggest crave (at least I thought it was going to be) to date the other day. I knew that day was coming since the my last dip 191 days ago. It was the Auburn/ Alabama game. Every year I go with my best friend. He introduced me to dip and he still does it. I have been to every Iron Bowl since 1989 and I wasn't about to miss this one.

I was ready for the challenge. He refused to make the 2 hour ride in my car without a dip so he drove separately. At the game he popped in a dip and I just popped in some seeds. We chatted some but I had been planning for the event since day1.

My quit was on my mind all day. Being around it didn't bother me because I had prepared even though my phone was useless (no service at the game). I couldn't call for support even if I needed to.

It was a great feeling to be quit and seeing him powerless having a dip in almost the entire game. BTW He is a bammer

Offline Kubiak

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »

Offline 30isEnuff

• Quitter
  • Keeping my jaw and tongue, I like them.
    • I'm The Owner of this Place.
  • Quit Date: May 25, 2012
  • Interests: "Being Quit" Today, just Today.Moving on to more of life before the light is gone.
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
Quote from: KKLJINC
Quote from: jaynellie
Quote from: Diesel2112
Quote from: razd611
Quote from: Its_Got2Happen
493 is huge and so is my quit wood.  Not a troll in a lonely quit group,  not a bunch of assholes in a new one, not someone lying to us our whole HOF, not anything is gonna stop my quit. Not family, not friends, not work, nothing will make me a Slave to the can again. Not my stress, my weight, my back spasms, not how much I miss rugby, not a professional or collegiate sports team, nothing will make me cave. I am in control of my actions,  and I have quitters I can lean on. In fact, it's an insult to them if I cave and not reach out.

I am quit.
Perfect and well done. Thanks for being here.
Awesome Kubiak. Thanks for being there during my early days. I needed you and you came thru BIGTIME. Your avatar and your positive encouragement helped me thru FO SHO.

Congrats man, keep it up.
Atta Boy Luther!!!
That's how you do it, boys and girls.
Well said Bad Ass......NAFAR!!!!!
'oh yeah'
Inspiring!
Wood is good. As long as it's quit.
Quit with you Kubs.
Keeping my jaw and tongue...I like them.
It's poison I tell ya, You wouldn't drink Liquid Drano, would ya?

Offline kkljinc

• Quitter
  • Interests: I love to workout, RUN, and Weights. Hunter and a Fisherman. Golf is my passion.Wife and kids keep me busy.
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Quote from: jaynellie
493 is huge and so is my quit wood.  Not a troll in a lonely quit group,  not a bunch of assholes in a new one, not someone lying to us our whole HOF, not anything is gonna stop my quit. Not family, not friends, not work, nothing will make me a Slave to the can again. Not my stress, my weight, my back spasms, not how much I miss rugby, not a professional or collegiate sports team, nothing will make me cave. I am in control of my actions,  and I have quitters I can lean on. In fact, it's an insult to them if I cave and not reach out.

I am quit.
Awesome Kubiak. Thanks for being there during my early days. I needed you and you came thru BIGTIME. Your avatar and your positive encouragement helped me thru FO SHO.

Atta Boy Luther!!!
'oh yeah'

Offline jaynellie

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: being a good husband a good dad, riding our quads at the dunes, watching my children turn into adults
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »

I am quit.

Atta Boy Luther!!!
"You never have to remember what you said, if you always tell the truth"

"Post roll everyday and your chances of staying quit goes up 100%" --mememe

Offline Diesel2112

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »

I am quit.

Atta Boy Luther!!!
Quit 06/04/12
HOF 9/11/12
2nd floor 12/20/12
3rd floor 03/30/13
4th floor 07/08/13
5th floor 10/16/13
6th floor 01/24/14
7th floor 05/04/14
8th floor 08/12/14
9th floor 10/20/14
Comma 02/28/15
11th floor 06/08/15
12th floor 09/16/15
13th floor 12/25/15
14th floor 04/03/16
15th floor 7/11/16
16th floor 10/20/16
17th floor 01/27/17
18th floor 05/08/17
19th floor 08/14/17
20th floor 11/27/17
21st floor 03/11/18

"Celebrate the moment as it turns into one more"..
"You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win, win without a fight".
"Onion rings...funyons. A connection? Yeah. I fucking think so."
"Honest Abe had a fake jaw".
"In a world that seems so small, I can't stop thinking big"
"Someone set a bad example. Made surrender seem all right
The act of a noble warrior. Who lost the will to fight."

Offline RAZD611

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Untied and Unfiltered
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, Hunting, Sports.
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »

I am quit.

Atta Boy Luther!!!
Never Again For Any Reason

Hurt Feelings Report
https://ibb.co/NCwvw7t

Offline Its_Got2Happen

• Quitter
  • Interests: Staying Quit!!
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »

I am quit.