Author Topic: New guy that wants to quit..Hope I can  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New guy that wants to quit..Hope I can
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
vette- as an example check the thread here in intro called Cancer? Probably. its just a couple above this one.

This guys scared to death that he has mouth cancer, I pm'd him a few times and actually took the time to talk to my dentist about his situation. I was able to line up a free look see for him, but he evaporated. Did he learn that he didn't have cancer? Maybe. Did he start dipping again after two weeks? Maybe. We'll have to see (if he even reappears) . Hurt fades, fear fades, addiction is forever.

Keep strong

sM
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline mvvette97

« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
I never did say it was easy for everybody. It was hard the first several times and I failed. With me I didn't have my mind set on quitting, that was with me. Now the last time it was easy for what reason I don't know but I'm glad because it is easier on me and my family. Oh I did toss that can about a week ago in the wood furnace so it's gone. I felt I didn't need it setting around anymore. When I say I will never chew again I mean it. Just like I said I'll never smoke again. It's been years and I'm around smokers all day and never even thought about having one. With me it's more of a habit no matter what some of you say. Like I said I was never much of a chewer at all and I really didn't enjoy it very much. I would have to say for me that quitting smoking was more of a challenge. I will say again that not every person is the same and it affects everybody in a different way. I think alot of it is how much you smoke or chew and how bad you really want to quit depending on the person. It sounds like to me that alot of people struggle during the quit and I feel bed for you guys. I had the same problem with smoking. As I said though maybe it has to do with that I never really did like chewing very much. I never did but as you know by now i started it so I could have a new habit to take the place of smoking. I don't know but I feel confident I can quit this forever.

Offline ChoosingIntegrity

• Quitter
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Quote from: mvvette97
I first signed up on here thinking it would help to hear from people that had the same habit as me. Well when I first joined I didn't last long before I cheated so I pretty much said fuck it and left the forum. Then some things changed in my life and I thought i would give it another throw. Yes I thought I had cancer but even worse was the thing about my child. So since I have quit I am happy for myself so I thought I would share and then a few of the negative haters had to start their shit. so really no I don't think I'm an addict because if I were I would think I would be having some kind of withdrawls but I'm not. I didn't chew very much so maybe that's what is helping me, I don't know..
mvvette97...

Bro, I'm a newbie too, so take this for what it's worth ---

There is a huge difference between "haters" and those who hold themselves accountable; and by accountable I mean both to themselves and others.

That's responsibility (response-ability)

Five days ago I had to pick a screen name for this site. "ChoosingIntegrity" came out of the fact that I've learned that integrity at its most basic level means doing what you say you're going to do when you say you're going to do it. And... it's all about keeping your word. Integrity doesn't promise anything. It sure as hell won't promise that I don't get cancer, but it might open the opportunity for newness and positive potential. Now, every day that I tap into roll call I remind myself that I'm here with a purpose of choosing integrity and I glimpse a tidbit of my history as I type in my password. Once I get into this site, my history is urged to transform by a bunch of folks who've walked the firewalk, have learned from experience, and are seemingly commited to sharing, well-being, evolution, and liberation.

Man... I'm glad you're not craving. Everybody's glad you're not craving. It seems to me that what GROUP is evidencing for INDIVIDUAL is that NOT CRAVING is NOT SYNONYMOUS with NOT CAVING.

There are different levels of responsibility. Operating at the level of "I" keeps you responsible for yourself. Operating at the level of "Group" keeps you responsible for yourself and your group and makes you accountable for more than just "I".

There's no hatred in that Bro... not the way I see it anyway.

I'm glad you're here. I'm glad this whole conversation has been part of the game. It's opening my mind.

Offline cdforecheck

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Buckeye Football, Ice Hockey
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
fine, all i think any of these asses are saying is to watch your back the nic bitch can get you at anytime/anywhere. the crave'll come and you may find yourself planning on how to get some, fight it for all it's worth. i hope you get rid of that trophy can, i think you said you did. do me a favor, make it tough to get some, make sure you avoid places where you'd buy unless a quitting support is there (my kids loved being my support to stop daddy). also, don't be afraid to post up right in here if you're in trouble, we might seem like asses but we are really only asses about protecting peoples quits. your post struck many as this isn't so hard, why can't you guys do it. if i could have i would have quit 26 years ago, i couldn't, i tried and i failed over and over again, my health, my wife, my kids, nothing could make me stop, until my 11 yo telling me i was a bad influence on him, don't why that moment it hit and stuck, not the first time but by god it was going to be the last. on july 17 i ended my usage but not my addiction, i still crave, i still want...maybe a trauma does different things to a quit but the rawness of the trauma does end and will dip/smokes re-enter your life? this is what this ass is thinking and i see some heavy quitters coming in here trying to help you see that addiction is one tricky bitch, she'll tell you it's a habit, you can stop whenever see you did that for two weeks there....now celebrate with me tonight at the club...and then you fall and the habit just starts again. i hope we addicts that had to do it day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute, second by second, meet more like you to show us the mind over matter technique because we learned all about neurotransmitters being out of whack because of nicotine suppression and how our brain has to rewire itself from a nicotine brain, figure this out and you will be the bestseller of self help books of all time good luck and stay quit

where ever you go in life never burn the bridges, they may be the only way to truly get home
Go Bucks! Quit Date: 12-23-2011

Offline mvvette97

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
I first signed up on here thinking it would help to hear from people that had the same habit as me. Well when I first joined I didn't last long before I cheated so I pretty much said fuck it and left the forum. Then some things changed in my life and I thought i would give it another throw. Yes I thought I had cancer but even worse was the thing about my child. So since I have quit I am happy for myself so I thought I would share and then a few of the negative haters had to start their shit. so really no I don't think I'm an addict because if I were I would think I would be having some kind of withdrawls but I'm not. I didn't chew very much so maybe that's what is helping me, I don't know..

Offline RAZD611

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Untied and Unfiltered
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, Hunting, Sports.
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Quote from: Skoal

Vette, You were spitting blood when you were brushing your teeth and waking up with blood on the pillow. But you continued to dip. That doesn't sound like a habit that sounds like an addiction. Just because I am a nicotine addict doesn't mean I NEED IT to function normally. In fact it is the last thing I need. I am past the physical and mental dependance on dip or smokes. However, I still get the urge to dip. It pops up all the time. Celebration dip, bummed out dip, life sucks dip, great meal dip, long drive, short drive, wake up , shower, shave, tv, and on it goes. 23 years is a long time to undo. I failed 100 times before because I thought I could control it. I thought I could have just one. Maybe one can, maybe dip for a weekend, then BAM right back to 2 cans a day like I never stopped. I can NEVER have another dip or smoke, or cigar, or snus, or nicotine gum, or any other nicotine product. If I do I'll be back to my old tricks faster than you can say UST. Got news for ya buddy, your closer to me than you think. I know that you smoked for a long time. I know you couldn't kick it easily. I know you then chewed to quit the smokes and that you tried and failed at least once to quit that. What does that tell you? Your answer is that you weren't ready to quit right? Man, I wish it were that easy. I can remember being 15 and literally praying to God to help me stop, I can remember giving up and accepting the fact that chew would eventually kill me because I couldnt stop. I can remember telling myself it was more of a habit than an addiction. I never wanted to stop something more in my life. I was ready, I just didn't know how.

When I did quit, it was alot like you, I just stopped one day. I had dipped a log in 4 days . I set the last can down and never had another. Like you it was easy at first, but I had moments later when this place saved my ass. I'm glad your kicking its ass, but don't speculate about the nature of others addictions. You mentioned that I would be better putting it out of my life. What you don't get is that I can't do that. As soon as I forget what it took to get me to a point where I could try to quit and then what it has cost to stay quit for 315 days I will start again. You wonder why I called myself Skoal Monster? Its not because I am glamorizing my favorite chew. It's because thats what I am/was. I was a monster, I was no different than a heroin addict except my drug of choice was skoal. I would have stole from my 3 year olds piggy bank to buy a dip. I'd lie cheat or steal to satisfy my habit. I'd stay up late to dip, I'd dip at work, Id avoid dinners, or any social occasion where I couldn't dip, Dip fucked up my marriage because I put it before my wife. I'm sure it jacked up other relationships as well. I didn't care. God forbid I ran out, I could out mean just about anything on the planet when I was in withdrawl. Ealry quit attempts my wife actually begged me to start chewing again. Go figure. Thing was , ultimately I was always in withdrawl. Even 2 cans a day I was never satisfied. I would be chewing and have a craving. The dip quit working. I couldn't physically chew any more and switching to cope , kodiak, didnt help either. I was fucking miserable ALL the time because of chew. and yet I kept dipping. That was my blood on the pillow. At some point I realized that if I felt shitty and craved all the time I might as well be quit. I literally never felt different before and after physical withdrawls. Yes I had nic rage ( BAD) and I had a couple of panic attacks, one I drove to the hospital because I actually thought I was having a heart attack.
I had a hard time, but it was worth it.

Long story I know, but the point is, I see alot of my past self in your arguments about habit vs addiction, about not really considering myself an addict, about getting the substance out of my life and then being in good shape. Your walking on a razor blade and you don't even know it. I'm glad your in a posistion of strength right now, but there WILL come a time when you are sorely tempted. When will power in and of itself wont save you from yourself. I wonder what you will do. I know what I will do .

sM
I can't do all the fancy cut out quotes, so I will try it like this. I am very sorry to hear your loss and that is the utmost reason to stay quit. I don't believe anyone here intentionally tries to be an ass. You just have a collection of individuals that have accomplished what less than 10% of the addicted population can do. They must know something and have firm belief in thier conviction. Vette I hope you are listening to SM on this one.

You see SM's story is me to a tee, except for the fact I never even tried to stop untill now. His story and his conviction is what this place is about and hopefully you can take something from all of this and see what works for others ( all times will not be good and there will be that time in the middle of the night where you think just one will help whatever the situation is ). It might just help in a moment of need. No one here wants that to happen to them or you. If someone being a full blown ass and it keeps you or anyone else for starting again, then let them be an ass. It is nothing personal.

You see I quit 85 days ago. I set it down and walked away, but I know I must watch my back every day. I don't know how many years I never even felt a withdrawl - why you ask- because I never went long enough without a dip in to experience a withdrawl. Maybe that is why I haven't had a good nights sleep in the last 20+ years. I did my withdrawls at night. Anyway after only 85 days I had forgotten some of the reasons why I quit and reading SM's last two posts reminded me of what I left behind and why I can never go back. Please take it for what is worth.

And to SM : thank you for reminding me who I was and who I cannot and will not ever be again.
Never Again For Any Reason

Hurt Feelings Report
https://ibb.co/NCwvw7t

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
This is ridiculous so its the last Im gonna post in here then this thread can sink below the line where it belongs. Mvette, my condolences on your loss. No one is being a dick to you and believe me we understand what it is to hate tobacco. ALL anybody here is trying to do is warn you that your far from quit. Get on line and look at the failure rates for this shit. Its horrible. People here with thousands of days quit have warned you. People with 100's of days quit have warned you. If you wanna be a dumbass ostrich and stick your head in the sand and believe your quit is invincible then great. I can't "help" somebody that doesn't want to be helped. Your a fucking addict like the rest of us. You don't beleive that now, but you will, and I am afraid that you may learn it the hard way.

II hope your special I really do, but you would be the first. Stay quit

SM
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline redtrain14

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Family, hunting, fishing, running, mountain biking, swimming, building shit, and anything else that sounds like fun.
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
First off, sorry to hear about your son.

You're right, maybe if one of us lost a child to tobacco, we would understand.

So.........we are all ears.

Secondly, I would be curious to know how much you actually understand about how this place works. I read through this little gem of a thread and I can certainly see why you've ruffled some feathers. Have you poked around here enough to see why that may be happening? The answer is there, you should take a look.

Or might it be that we are just a site full of assholes that don't quite think you are telling us the whole story?

Offline cdforecheck

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Buckeye Football, Ice Hockey
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
so.....is it the cancer scare or what happened to your child?

and i am the one that's messed up?

keep the quit
Go Bucks! Quit Date: 12-23-2011

Offline GlennFtheKodiak

• Quitter
  • Interests: Gym and Coaching and Running Pop Warner Program. I'll fuck all you mother fuckers up.
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
Quote from: greg40
Quote from: russjns
Quote from: Rawaldem
If some of you are so damn smart then expplain to me why when I tried to quit several times before I failed but after I was scared for my life of cancer then I was about to not chew and have had no withdrawls? Please explain!! I can't explain it but all I know after several failures I was able to quit with no cravings all because I thought I had mouth cancer.
To answer your question, no one said that your quit has to be hard. I agree that stopping nicotine is a hell of a lot easier when you have your mind is right. What people are saying is that you are an addict. None of us, as addicts can ever really say we are done for good. We can only say we stopped using right now. You and I are just as addicted to nicotine right now as we were when we dipped full time, regardless of withdrawal symptoms or ease of nicotine cessation.

What people are trying to make you understand is that this is a commitment we make daily for a lifetime, not one that you make once and move on from. The reason the daily commitment is so important is because your life will change, your attitude will change, and the memory of your "blood on the pillow" will fade. But your addiction to this drug will ALWAYS stay. If you do not accept that you are an addict and always will be, there will come a point that you will think you have it all figured out and you can handle it. Just like I (and about a million others) did.
The reason people are angry is that you not only do not realize this, but you have an attitude that addiction is weakness and not just being able to quit at will is a weakness. You are like a rookie pro athlete talking about how great their career will be. You can only live and quit today everything else is speculation.
Long story short. Just because the act of stopping nicotine was easy for you does not mean shit, the end game here is not quitting it is staying quit. How you will do at that remains to be seen.
I'm going to be honest, I honestly think alot of it is mind set depending on how much you chew. I feel some people can be an addict and some may not. I think it affects everybody different. I guess I am thinking different about being an addict. For me no I don't and will never accept that I may be an addict because then that would always be in my mind that reminding me that my body may need nicotine to function right. To me that would make it harder to quit I would think. I just put it out of my life accepting nothing other than the fact that I don't need that stuff. Yea being scared and my daughter made it easy for me to quit, not sure why but it did. I think I just realized what my future was going to be if I would keep chewing. For a while I would just think of all the good things that would result in quitting and think of all the bad if I kept chewing. I wish there was a way to prove to you people that I will still be chew free years down the road but there isn't. It doesn't matter though because I'm doing this for my daughter as well as myself. I'm calmer now and gums are healed and just feel so much better since I quit. Made a promise to my daughter and late son that I'll never ever touch that shit again. My daughter is all I have left so there is no way I will let her down.
It's fantastic that you are so firm in your quit.

But what happens when the intensity of the cancer scare subsides? What tools will you have at your disposal to keep your quit strong?

It is dangerous to feel overconfident in your quit. If you have never been able to quit until now, then you are indeed an addict. Otherwise you would have been able to quit at the first personal desire to quit. I'm not trying to make you feel crappy, I'm just trying to open your eyes to a differenct perspective...one that can hopefully prevent a future cave (one that may or may not be in the making) The fact that you hit rock bottom and are riding that intensity right now is great for your quit. But it's not so great for your quit 3 years down the road. Even 200 days down the road. Because that intensity will most definitely fade.

We all felt invincible when we were younger, that's why we started this habit in the first place. The feeling that we are the one exception to the rule has kept us playing caner roulette all these years. So it's in our wiring to feel like we are the unique one where the rules don't apply. But they apply here. We ALL have the same story....to a scary degree, we are ALL the same. If I were you, I would seek out and identify the similarities, rather than point out your differences to the people here. It might just make your quit that much stronger.
what tools will I use to stay quit you ask? An honest to god promise I made to my daughter and dead son. I have developed a hatred for tobacco products that you all would never believe. Lose a child over that fuckin shit and see what you think of it. You guys made some smart comments about me having some super powers and bullshit like that well in a funny way maybe I do. If you guys have ever lost a child because of tobacco then you would understand. You know people maybe it's the guilt of my son's death that has gave me the mid set to never ever have anything to do with tobacco ever again. Because of this I will never chew or smoke again and that is a fact. Even if I do have an addiction it will never over power the anger. I don't know what else to say other than I will never have any tobacco in my life again. I don't even know why I am even tryin to convince you guys because it doesn't matter really. My friends and family have faith in me and that's all that matters. I just don't understand something, this is supposed to be a support forum but mostly all I have seen are insults and negative support. If people keep telling other people that they will fail then in fact they most likely will. I feel an important part of quitting is feeling proud of yourself for what you have currently done. Then there comes people that just try to beat you down. And just because some guy says "well I was just like you and I failed" does not mean another person will.
Look, mvette...congrats on your quit. Sounds like you got the nic bitch by the ass hairs. I just have one question....Why do you come to a "support" site to quit nicotine when you imply you don't need any support? You're not an internet troll, are you?? I'm not trying to be an asshole here...just wondering.
yeah really, what was the point?

Also, be aware, my quit was super easy too the first 75 days or so. Some people have an easier time at the beginning. I was one of them. Granted, it got much worse, many, many times, the next 175 days, and you can be sure that trophy case would have been tapped into.
football rules, soccer drools

HOF: July 7th, 2009

Offline greg40

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
If some of you are so damn smart then expplain to me why when I tried to quit several times before I failed but after I was scared for my life of cancer then I was about to not chew and have had no withdrawls? Please explain!! I can't explain it but all I know after several failures I was able to quit with no cravings all because I thought I had mouth cancer.
To answer your question, no one said that your quit has to be hard. I agree that stopping nicotine is a hell of a lot easier when you have your mind is right. What people are saying is that you are an addict. None of us, as addicts can ever really say we are done for good. We can only say we stopped using right now. You and I are just as addicted to nicotine right now as we were when we dipped full time, regardless of withdrawal symptoms or ease of nicotine cessation.

What people are trying to make you understand is that this is a commitment we make daily for a lifetime, not one that you make once and move on from. The reason the daily commitment is so important is because your life will change, your attitude will change, and the memory of your "blood on the pillow" will fade. But your addiction to this drug will ALWAYS stay. If you do not accept that you are an addict and always will be, there will come a point that you will think you have it all figured out and you can handle it. Just like I (and about a million others) did.
The reason people are angry is that you not only do not realize this, but you have an attitude that addiction is weakness and not just being able to quit at will is a weakness. You are like a rookie pro athlete talking about how great their career will be. You can only live and quit today everything else is speculation.
Long story short. Just because the act of stopping nicotine was easy for you does not mean shit, the end game here is not quitting it is staying quit. How you will do at that remains to be seen.
I'm going to be honest, I honestly think alot of it is mind set depending on how much you chew. I feel some people can be an addict and some may not. I think it affects everybody different. I guess I am thinking different about being an addict. For me no I don't and will never accept that I may be an addict because then that would always be in my mind that reminding me that my body may need nicotine to function right. To me that would make it harder to quit I would think. I just put it out of my life accepting nothing other than the fact that I don't need that stuff. Yea being scared and my daughter made it easy for me to quit, not sure why but it did. I think I just realized what my future was going to be if I would keep chewing. For a while I would just think of all the good things that would result in quitting and think of all the bad if I kept chewing. I wish there was a way to prove to you people that I will still be chew free years down the road but there isn't. It doesn't matter though because I'm doing this for my daughter as well as myself. I'm calmer now and gums are healed and just feel so much better since I quit. Made a promise to my daughter and late son that I'll never ever touch that shit again. My daughter is all I have left so there is no way I will let her down.

But what happens when the intensity of the cancer scare subsides? What tools will you have at your disposal to keep your quit strong?

It is dangerous to feel overconfident in your quit. If you have never been able to quit until now, then you are indeed an addict. Otherwise you would have been able to quit at the first personal desire to quit. I'm not trying to make you feel crappy, I'm just trying to open your eyes to a differenct perspective...one that can hopefully prevent a future cave (one that may or may not be in the making) The fact that you hit rock bottom and are riding that intensity right now is great for your quit. But it's not so great for your quit 3 years down the road. Even 200 days down the road. Because that intensity will most definitely fade.

We all felt invincible when we were younger, that's why we started this habit in the first place. The feeling that we are the one exception to the rule has kept us playing caner roulette all these years. So it's in our wiring to feel like we are the unique one where the rules don't apply. But they apply here. We ALL have the same story....to a scary degree, we are ALL the same. If I were you, I would seek out and identify the similarities, rather than point out your differences to the people here. It might just make your quit that much stronger.
what tools will I use to stay quit you ask? An honest to god promise I made to my daughter and dead son. I have developed a hatred for tobacco products that you all would never believe. Lose a child over that fuckin shit and see what you think of it. You guys made some smart comments about me having some super powers and bullshit like that well in a funny way maybe I do. If you guys have ever lost a child because of tobacco then you would understand. You know people maybe it's the guilt of my son's death that has gave me the mid set to never ever have anything to do with tobacco ever again. Because of this I will never chew or smoke again and that is a fact. Even if I do have an addiction it will never over power the anger. I don't know what else to say other than I will never have any tobacco in my life again. I don't even know why I am even tryin to convince you guys because it doesn't matter really. My friends and family have faith in me and that's all that matters. I just don't understand something, this is supposed to be a support forum but mostly all I have seen are insults and negative support. If people keep telling other people that they will fail then in fact they most likely will. I feel an important part of quitting is feeling proud of yourself for what you have currently done. Then there comes people that just try to beat you down. And just because some guy says "well I was just like you and I failed" does not mean another person will.
Look, mvette...congrats on your quit. Sounds like you got the nic bitch by the ass hairs. I just have one question....Why do you come to a "support" site to quit nicotine when you imply you don't need any support? You're not an internet troll, are you?? I'm not trying to be an asshole here...just wondering.

Offline mvvette97

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2009, 04:21:00 AM »

Vette, You were spitting blood when you were brushing your teeth and waking up with blood on the pillow. But you continued to dip. That doesn't sound like a habit that sounds like an addiction. Just because I am a nicotine addict doesn't mean I NEED IT to function normally. In fact it is the last thing I need. I am past the physical and mental dependance on dip or smokes. However, I still get the urge to dip. It pops up all the time. Celebration dip, bummed out dip, life sucks dip, great meal dip, long drive, short drive, wake up , shower, shave, tv, and on it goes. 23 years is a long time to undo. I failed 100 times before because I thought I could control it. I thought I could have just one. Maybe one can, maybe dip for a weekend, then BAM right back to 2 cans a day like I never stopped. I can NEVER have another dip or smoke, or cigar, or snus, or nicotine gum, or any other nicotine product. If I do I'll be back to my old tricks faster than you can say UST. Got news for ya buddy, your closer to me than you think. I know that you smoked for a long time. I know you couldn't kick it easily. I know you then chewed to quit the smokes and that you tried and failed at least once to quit that. What does that tell you? Your answer is that you weren't ready to quit right? Man, I wish it were that easy. I can remember being 15 and literally praying to God to help me stop, I can remember giving up and accepting the fact that chew would eventually kill me because I couldnt stop. I can remember telling myself it was more of a habit than an addiction. I never wanted to stop something more in my life. I was ready, I just didn't know how.

When I did quit, it was alot like you, I just stopped one day. I had dipped a log in 4 days . I set the last can down and never had another. Like you it was easy at first, but I had moments later when this place saved my ass. I'm glad your kicking its ass, but don't speculate about the nature of others addictions. You mentioned that I would be better putting it out of my life. What you don't get is that I can't do that. As soon as I forget what it took to get me to a point where I could try to quit and then what it has cost to stay quit for 315 days I will start again. You wonder why I called myself Skoal Monster? Its not because I am glamorizing my favorite chew. It's because thats what I am/was. I was a monster, I was no different than a heroin addict except my drug of choice was skoal. I would have stole from my 3 year olds piggy bank to buy a dip. I'd lie cheat or steal to satisfy my habit. I'd stay up late to dip, I'd dip at work, Id avoid dinners, or any social occasion where I couldn't dip, Dip fucked up my marriage because I put it before my wife. I'm sure it jacked up other relationships as well. I didn't care. God forbid I ran out, I could out mean just about anything on the planet when I was in withdrawl. Ealry quit attempts my wife actually begged me to start chewing again. Go figure. Thing was , ultimately I was always in withdrawl. Even 2 cans a day I was never satisfied. I would be chewing and have a craving. The dip quit working. I couldn't physically chew any more and switching to cope , kodiak, didnt help either. I was fucking miserable ALL the time because of chew. and yet I kept dipping. That was my blood on the pillow. At some point I realized that if I felt shitty and craved all the time I might as well be quit. I literally never felt different before and after physical withdrawls. Yes I had nic rage ( BAD) and I had a couple of panic attacks, one I drove to the hospital because I actually thought I was having a heart attack.
I had a hard time, but it was worth it.

Long story I know, but the point is, I see alot of my past self in your arguments about habit vs addiction, about not really considering myself an addict, about getting the substance out of my life and then being in good shape. Your walking on a razor blade and you don't even know it. I'm glad your in a posistion of strength right now, but there WILL come a time when you are sorely tempted. When will power in and of itself wont save you from yourself. I wonder what you will do. I know what I will do .

sM

Offline russjns

• Quitter
    • www.thestayathomer.com
  • Interests: raising my two sons, acting, reading, movies, internet, hiking, playing guitar/piano, hanging with my brother....oh, and quitting, staying quit, never dipping again.
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2009, 03:00:00 AM »

QD 7/22/09
I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is the victory over self.
Rise above the storm and you will find the sunshine.

Offline mvvette97

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2009, 01:47:00 AM »