Author Topic: kicking it  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Jubs

• Quitter
  • Interests: Baseball, sports, food, music, and naps.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: kicking it
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Quote from: david.m
Quote from: Tuco's
No you are entirely correct, if it wasn't for my wife I would have a big ol dip in right now. Quitting is just easier than dealing with her right now.

`aRifleman2
I've read this script a million times and it always goes something like this:
Act I: You quit because you finally got sick of her berating your ass about it.
Act II: You stay quit for a few days to a few weeks, but with each successive crave that you encounter and fight off, your resentment towards her grows for "making" you do this.
Act III: She does or says something one day that just pisses you off, so you decide to cave and dip again just to "spite" her.

You've gotta want this, dude. Really, really want this for yourself above all else.

Am I gutting through this quit with you, or your wife?
Rifleman...

a.) what these guys are saying is 100% true. Trying to get your wife to "shut up" will not be a sufficient motive to keep you quit.
You WILL resent her.
You WILL deceive her.
It WILL effect other areas of your relationship.

BUT...

b.) if you ARE still quit... know that you are in the worst days of the quitting stage. And that, "if it wasn't for my wife I would have a big ol dip in right now" may NOT be true.

It may be the lack of nicotine - or "Nicki, the lying vindictive vixen whore", as I like to call it - that's producing this anger and looking for targets. But your wife is NOT the enemy. Nicotine is. Remember that. It WILL (like every addiction) drive itself between you and those who love you.

For me, on Day 2... I seriously considered leaving my wife and children - because if I didn't have them, no one would care what I was doing to myself with this garbage - and then I can do it in peace!? True story. That's not remotely rational. But it's how nicotine wrecks your mind.

Now, I'm on Day 12. It's only 10 days more - but it seems like a lifetime away.
You CAN do it.
It IS worth it.

My advice... stick with it. Fight thru it.
Make the determination right now... "Nicotine is my enemy. I'm quitting it for MY sake. Anyone who also wants me to quit is my friend."

(By the way... fake dip is total shit. In my experience, it will only drive you back to real dip because it lacks the key ingredient of nicotine. For a replacement to satisfy the oral fixation... I'd suggest sunflower seeds, coffee grinds, or gum. Those have worked for me.)
That's more opinion based, fake works for some and it doesn't work for others. It worked for me for the week I used it. Seeds, gum, and other things may not work for some, but fake may be too close to the real thing for some.

I'd say there is no harm in trying the fake (this is exactly what it's made for) but if it being too close to the real thing worries you then try a different aveune. PM a vet, PM me, PM anyone to ask for tips or what they used to get through the cravings... that's what we're here for.

P.S. I used a lot of green tea bags. Helped me a lot.

Offline david.m

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-07-20
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Quote from: Tuco's
No you are entirely correct, if it wasn't for my wife I would have a big ol dip in right now. Quitting is just easier than dealing with her right now.

`aRifleman2
Act II: You stay quit for a few days to a few weeks, but with each successive crave that you encounter and fight off, your resentment towards her grows for "making" you do this.
Act III: She does or says something one day that just pisses you off, so you decide to cave and dip again just to "spite" her.

You've gotta want this, dude. Really, really want this for yourself above all else.

Rifleman...

a.) what these guys are saying is 100% true. Trying to get your wife to "shut up" will not be a sufficient motive to keep you quit.
You WILL resent her.
You WILL deceive her.
It WILL effect other areas of your relationship.

BUT...

b.) if you ARE still quit... know that you are in the worst days of the quitting stage. And that, "if it wasn't for my wife I would have a big ol dip in right now" may NOT be true.

It may be the lack of nicotine - or "Nicki, the lying vindictive vixen whore", as I like to call it - that's producing this anger and looking for targets. But your wife is NOT the enemy. Nicotine is. Remember that. It WILL (like every addiction) drive itself between you and those who love you.

For me, on Day 2... I seriously considered leaving my wife and children - because if I didn't have them, no one would care what I was doing to myself with this garbage - and then I can do it in peace!? True story. That's not remotely rational. But it's how nicotine wrecks your mind.

Now, I'm on Day 12. It's only 10 days more - but it seems like a lifetime away.
You CAN do it.
It IS worth it.

My advice... stick with it. Fight thru it.
Make the determination right now... "Nicotine is my enemy. I'm quitting it for MY sake. Anyone who also wants me to quit is my friend."

(By the way... fake dip is total shit. In my experience, it will only drive you back to real dip because it lacks the key ingredient of nicotine. For a replacement to satisfy the oral fixation... I'd suggest sunflower seeds, coffee grinds, or gum. Those have worked for me.)
If you settle for nothing now, you'll settle for nothing later.
If you don't take action now, you won't take action later.

07.20.2014 - quit day
07.21.2014 - one day
10.28.2014 - H.O.F
02.05.2015 - 2nd Floor
05.16.2015 - 3rd Floor
07.20.2015 - one year
08.24.2015 - 4th Floor

Offline Tuco

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 7/27/2014
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »

`aRifleman2

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
Quote from: AppleJack
Quote from: aRifleman2

`aRifleman2
Don't half-ass this.
There are guys seriously fighting for their lives... Don't piss on their effort by being nonchalant about this. It boils down to this... Do you wanna quit and actually taste real freedom or... Do you just wanna get your wife off your back?

Go all in bro... You will not regret it.
Wow, so when she backs off you are going back to the can? This is a site for people that believe in "Never Again for any Reason" or NAFAR, so if you are just taking a break for your wife or waiting until the next guys night out to dip, please do it elsewhere - or convince us that you are quitting for yourself as well.
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »

`aRifleman2
Don't half-ass this.
There are guys seriously fighting for their lives... Don't piss on their effort by being nonchalant about this. It boils down to this... Do you wanna quit and actually taste real freedom or... Do you just wanna get your wife off your back?

Go all in bro... You will not regret it.
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline 30isEnuff

• Quitter
  • Keeping my jaw and tongue, I like them.
    • I'm The Owner of this Place.
  • Quit Date: May 25, 2012
  • Interests: "Being Quit" Today, just Today.Moving on to more of life before the light is gone.
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »

`aRifleman2
Eventually she will forgive you or say "do what you want"...is this what you want?

You dipped for You so Quit for You...you are worth it, whether or not you believe it.

Slavery is no way to live...freedom is yours if you rrrrreeeeeaaalllly want it. It is hard work but gets easier over time.

You can do it..one day at a time.
Keeping my jaw and tongue...I like them.
It's poison I tell ya, You wouldn't drink Liquid Drano, would ya?

Offline aRifleman2

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-07-31
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »

`aRifleman2
Not my circus, not my clowns.

Offline Dagranger

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 06-27-2013
  • Interests: I used to like playing any sport. Now I like coaching any sport. Hiking, camping, biking. I work out a lot but I hate it.
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
Quote from: AppleJack
Hello, my name is Erik and I am 35 years old. I have been dipping since I was about thirteen and was steeling tins from my older brother. I told my wife I quit when we got married but still dipped at work and claimed I only did it when hunting or fishing. I just got tired of hiding it and told her. She of course blew up but I was thinking of quitting anyways. So here I am posting and dipping this terrible fake chew, smokey mountain. Anyone know of anything that tastes similar to the griz but tobacco free?

~aRifleman2
Maybe it's just me but I feel a lot of "meh" in this post.

I need to feel some more resolve here bro... Not just a knee jerk reaction from your wife's blow up followed by a "I was thinking about quitting anyway" mindset.

You need to make this decision for you and... Own it. If you can do that nothing will stop you.
Agree with Apple Jack. It may not have been what you were intending when you wrote your intro, but I got the feel from this post that if your wife was ok with you being a dipper you'd have one in right now. Prove us wrong, but to succeed you really need to be fed up with being an addict and want to take back control in your life. Quitting is such a hard process that you can't be luke warm about your desire to be quit. Good luck Rifleman.

Offline USMCray

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Interests: Wife,kids. And work work,work!!! And watching my cowboys,spurs,and rangers!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 11:51:00 PM »
Rifle man-line the secs, minutes, hours up and KNOCK em down!! And in between read and interact.

Offline spitstickler

• Quitter
  • Interests: American History, Rifles, Reloading
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
Erik, get in here and start drinking the KTC koolaid. Mark some friends, exchange some numbers and start reading up.

The ride for the next couple of days is gonna suck, so get ready and hold on tight to this website and forum. If you need a number, shoot me a p.m.

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
Hello, my name is Erik and I am 35 years old. I have been dipping since I was about thirteen and was steeling tins from my older brother. I told my wife I quit when we got married but still dipped at work and claimed I only did it when hunting or fishing. I just got tired of hiding it and told her. She of course blew up but I was thinking of quitting anyways. So here I am posting and dipping this terrible fake chew, smokey mountain. Anyone know of anything that tastes similar to the griz but tobacco free?

~aRifleman2
Honestly, that shit in the can is just as nasty.

It just happens to carry nicotine in it so your brain associates it as a fond taste. Addicts like us didn't ruin our mouths and smokers didn't enjoy inhaling camp fires because it was appealing. No...we did it for the drug. SMS is a placebo to curb that empty lip feeling. Nothing more. You aren't addicted to the habit (dipping).

I'd try seeds, maybe break a tea bag. Fireballs are great substitues, as our cherries and peaches (especially now). Feel free to stuff your lip with anything you want to, but stay quit man. If you are looking for other brands of herbal stuff, chewie reviews them all the time. In fact, American Gladiator Hawk will be in here August 12th with the owner of Hooch. They usually give a pretty good deal for quitters here.
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
I see you posted a day 1 and you are reaching out. Gooo job. Coffee or fake dip worked for me. I grew tired of it after a while. You get bored of things that don't have nic in it. It is then you realize, you are not addicted to dipping, you are addicted to nicotine.

Any how. I am glad you are here and I am available for any assistance you might need. There are a ton of other guys that are happy to help as well. Just keep posting, reading and staying involved and the days of quit will accumulate.

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »

~aRifleman2
Maybe it's just me but I feel a lot of "meh" in this post.

I need to feel some more resolve here bro... Not just a knee jerk reaction from your wife's blow up followed by a "I was thinking about quitting anyway" mindset.

You need to make this decision for you and... Own it. If you can do that nothing will stop you.
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline Tuco

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 7/27/2014
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
I told my wife I quit when we got married but still dipped at work and claimed I only did it when hunting or fishing. I just got tired of hiding it and told her.
Boy, that's a familiar tune. Right on for making today the first day of your nic-free life. You're in good company, and I'm right there with you at barely 5 days in.

Can't speak too much to the fake chews out there other than the reviews posted elsewhere on the site. I've tried both Smokey Mountain and Hooch. The SM was decent and the hooch tasted like ground weeds.

Offline RAZD611

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Untied and Unfiltered
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, Hunting, Sports.
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
Anyone know of anything that tastes similar to the griz
A bucket of assholes.

There are several kinds of fake. Most wal marts carry some. Try till you find one you like. I could never use them though. To much like the real thing for me. but what ever it takes to keep nic out of your mouth.

Lots of seeds, gum, atomic fireballs and coffee straws helped me.
Never Again For Any Reason

Hurt Feelings Report
https://ibb.co/NCwvw7t