Author Topic: New member - 7 days quit today  (Read 3249 times)

Offline rwcdrums

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New member - 7 days quit today
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 06:21:00 AM »
Hey guys! Day #9 quit here and feeling pretty good! I had a small test of my commitment yesterday and did great! I had to drive down to take my mother to the doctor and usually after spending time with her I get a little stressed out. My go-to stress reliever has always been to throw a dip in immediately after leaving her house, sometimes also before picking her up. Anyways, I am happy to report that between gum and mints, there was no need for anything else! I did get a little stressed but then remembered my word and my promise and how great it feels to almost be in the double digits quit! I also have noticed that my mood has improved. I find myself a lot calmer and less irritable, which I am totally digging! It feels so good to be able to take the quick route home and not the long way so that I can dip for just a few minutes longer.

Everybody stay strong and I will see you quitters tomorrow for day number 10!!! 'Cheers'
I was taught the way of progress is neither swift nor easy. -Marie Curie

Offline rwcdrums

• Quitter
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
Quote from: jswiss11
another thing i meant to comment on: you asked about "what do I look forward to?" and man, i had the exact same thought and bout of depression too really. It was a shitty realization to be like, oh what the heck do i do now. or why do i need to go to work (ha) or mow the effing lawn, when there is no reward!! i went through some lows pondering that same thing.

I will give you two answers - the first is immediate gratification, and that answer for me, at least, is/was food. knowing that i had a solid meal to look forward to, often accompanied by a dessert of some sort. do not be afraid to gain weight, a little weight. it's crazy to think that i justified my addiction by saying "well it keeps my appetite down" and "I'll quit after I lose and keep off 10-15 lbs." well that hadn't happened for years. and i've only gained like 7 lbs. after quitting, so not bad really.

the second answer - I've only had tastes of. short glimpses, but a taste of freedom nonetheless. and I think that part of breaking this addiction and habit is allowing me to notice and savor the smaller moments in life as well. ie - the smell of my wife's hair, the cool breeze in the evening. a cold beer on the patio.

don't lose hope - there will be other, much healthier things to look forward to and anticipate
Man, that is EXACTLY what I needed to hear! I'm really looking forward to all of it! (minus the weight gain. lol) Thanks man! 'Cheers'

Offline jswiss11

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2018-01-08 00:24:00
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
another thing i meant to comment on: you asked about "what do I look forward to?" and man, i had the exact same thought and bout of depression too really. It was a shitty realization to be like, oh what the heck do i do now. or why do i need to go to work (ha) or mow the effing lawn, when there is no reward!! i went through some lows pondering that same thing.

I will give you two answers - the first is immediate gratification, and that answer for me, at least, is/was food. knowing that i had a solid meal to look forward to, often accompanied by a dessert of some sort. do not be afraid to gain weight, a little weight. it's crazy to think that i justified my addiction by saying "well it keeps my appetite down" and "I'll quit after I lose and keep off 10-15 lbs." well that hadn't happened for years. and i've only gained like 7 lbs. after quitting, so not bad really.

the second answer - I've only had tastes of. short glimpses, but a taste of freedom nonetheless. and I think that part of breaking this addiction and habit is allowing me to notice and savor the smaller moments in life as well. ie - the smell of my wife's hair, the cool breeze in the evening. a cold beer on the patio.

don't lose hope - there will be other, much healthier things to look forward to and anticipate

Offline rwcdrums

• Quitter
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
Quote from: wildirish317
Quote from: rwcdrums
One thing that is quickly coming to a realization is that no nicotine means NO nicotine of any type. I used to have a cigar here and there, maybe like two a year. While they particularly never did much for me, I didn't realize that they could/would inevitably lead back to dipping. To be honest it kinda bums me out. I'm fine with quitting them too, it's just something I hadn't thought about until today. I fully understand that I'm addicted to nicotine in all forms. The good news is that I don't really hangout with people who dip or smoke cigars currently, so that should at least help.
Yeah, the cigar thing bums me out too. I used to smoke a couple per year as well. Now I'll never have a Cuban cigar. I'll just chuck that desire into the same basket as having sex with Avril Lavigne, not gonna happen.

Interesting intro. Unlike you, I started my quit with making the same promise to Mrs. Irish every morning that I post on roll: day XX, I quit today. I figured, if KTC didn't work out, Mrs. Irish would hold me to the same accountability. I was wrong on that count. Mrs. Irish will occasionally asked if I'm still quit, and I'll tell her how many days, but I don't make that promise to her first thing every morning any more. I get up and post roll while she rolls over and enjoys a few extra minutes of sleep.

Quit on, and keep posting in your intro. Turn it into your journal of quit.
Thanks for the support! I've thought about telling the wife a couple times. If nothing more than to explain the irritability and mood swings, but as long as I can keep them brief and not too frequent, I think I can wait to tell her. I know she would be extremely proud to know that I'm putting forth this much effort. Not because she doesn't think I'm capable of it, but because she doesn't know how big of an addiction this was for me and how hard it is to quit something this evil. Now while I didn't dip all day, every day, I did let it control me and make me its bitch. My hat is off to you men and women who have dipped for 30 years or more. I can only imagine how rough it has been for you. What I do know is that we're all in this together and have the power to quit! I promise to post roll on here every day. I will have to be sly around the wife though so she doesn't ask what I'm doing. At least being a "ninja" around her this time will be for the good! I am so glad I found this page. Stay strong my friends! 'Cheers'

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Past the cravings Past the drama Still an addict
  • Quit Date: 2/25/2016
  • Interests: I am the most boring person you will ever meet.
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
One thing that is quickly coming to a realization is that no nicotine means NO nicotine of any type. I used to have a cigar here and there, maybe like two a year. While they particularly never did much for me, I didn't realize that they could/would inevitably lead back to dipping. To be honest it kinda bums me out. I'm fine with quitting them too, it's just something I hadn't thought about until today. I fully understand that I'm addicted to nicotine in all forms. The good news is that I don't really hangout with people who dip or smoke cigars currently, so that should at least help.
Yeah, the cigar thing bums me out too. I used to smoke a couple per year as well. Now I'll never have a Cuban cigar. I'll just chuck that desire into the same basket as having sex with Avril Lavigne, not gonna happen.

Interesting intro. Unlike you, I started my quit with making the same promise to Mrs. Irish every morning that I post on roll: day XX, I quit today. I figured, if KTC didn't work out, Mrs. Irish would hold me to the same accountability. I was wrong on that count. Mrs. Irish will occasionally asked if I'm still quit, and I'll tell her how many days, but I don't make that promise to her first thing every morning any more. I get up and post roll while she rolls over and enjoys a few extra minutes of sleep.

Quit on, and keep posting in your intro. Turn it into your journal of quit.
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline rwcdrums

• Quitter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
Quote from: jswiss11
RWCdrums! welcome brother. great intro and congrats on marrying the "out of your league" girl you set your sights on ! that is a cool story. I commend you for waiting 30 days to tell her about your quit as well. I'm 32, dipped skoal straight since I was 15 - and am now 67 days quit. I'm finding this site is crucial to fighting through the shit of breaking this deadly habit.

I quit for myself, but also for my wife and for our future family. I knew it was a must to quit before bringing a child into the world, but so glad to be where i am now in it - free of worry about how or when i'm going to quit. also - our marriage has gotten that much better since quitting. like seriously, seems to have really lifted some heavy concern off both our shoulders. no more battles over stupid dip.

not gonna lie - this is tough. like probably the hardest thing I've ever done. but if you focus on just keeping that one promise to yourself, to your loved ones, and to your brothers and sisters on here, just one day at a time. it's not as difficult as it first seems.

looking forward to my HOF 100, but still much work to do.
Great story, man! 67 days, wow!! Very proud of you! Thanks so much for the encouraging words! I look forward to the days where things get easier. I know the wife will be ecstatic when I hit that 30 day mark and I'm seriously considering reading her my intro post on that day. We will see. Don't need to make her head swell too much with all of the "out of my league girl" stuff. lol j/k Keep up the good fight, brotha!! 'Cheers'

Offline jswiss11

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2018-01-08 00:24:00
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 12:15:00 PM »
RWCdrums! welcome brother. great intro and congrats on marrying the "out of your league" girl you set your sights on ! that is a cool story. I commend you for waiting 30 days to tell her about your quit as well. I'm 32, dipped skoal straight since I was 15 - and am now 67 days quit. I'm finding this site is crucial to fighting through the shit of breaking this deadly habit.

I quit for myself, but also for my wife and for our future family. I knew it was a must to quit before bringing a child into the world, but so glad to be where i am now in it - free of worry about how or when i'm going to quit. also - our marriage has gotten that much better since quitting. like seriously, seems to have really lifted some heavy concern off both our shoulders. no more battles over stupid dip.

not gonna lie - this is tough. like probably the hardest thing I've ever done. but if you focus on just keeping that one promise to yourself, to your loved ones, and to your brothers and sisters on here, just one day at a time. it's not as difficult as it first seems.

looking forward to my HOF 100, but still much work to do.

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
Quote from: Thumblewort
Saving your life shouldn't bum you out. Learn to HATE all forms of nicotine.

I was offered a cigar last summer, and it was the easiest thing in the world to say no to, because I posted roll that morning, and that is a promise.
You're right. I've got a few cigars at the house that I'm going to find a new home for. Piece of cake. 'Cheers'
May I suggest that your toilet be the humidor? No need to pass the cancer sticks on to others. Good job.
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline rwcdrums

• Quitter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
Quote from: Thumblewort

I was offered a cigar last summer, and it was the easiest thing in the world to say no to, because I posted roll that morning, and that is a promise.
You're right. I've got a few cigars at the house that I'm going to find a new home for. Piece of cake. 'Cheers'

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »

Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline rwcdrums

• Quitter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »

Offline rwcdrums

• Quitter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 06:19:00 AM »
Quote from: pky1520
Quote from: Bert75
Welcome RWC! Nice intro. I think there are a lot of us here that can relate to "ninja dippin" behind our wife's back.. I was certainly guilty of that myself.. No doubt it's a struggle but things get easier each day.. It's just something we Gotta Do! Hang in there buddy!!
Thanks Bert! Yeah I never enjoyed the constant sneaking around and making sure that all "paraphernalia" was put away before the wife came home. What a pain in the ass!

I just posted roll for day 8! Feeling pretty good. Still have the minor cravings here and there. Mainly when I'm doing a particular task such as driving. No worries though, I've loaded up on gum and mints and that seems to help. My main concern is how hungry I've been or how hungry I think I am? I'm sure this will pass in due time.

I've been trying to read as much as I can on the site. Something I haven't come across yet is what good side effects (for lack of a better word) have people experienced once they quit. What I mean here is whiter teeth, lower blood pressure, less moody, etc. I guess it would be mainly health benefits, but I'm curious as to what people have experienced. I'm sure I just haven't come across it yet. I do feel like my taste buds and sense of smell are more sensitive. I don't know if that's something that happens or not, but it has definitely changed.

I'm very stoked for the days ahead and hope to see more improvements in health, mood, etc. Thanks everyone for the support! And here's to 8 days quit! 'Cheers'
There are a litany of benefits and they happen to everyone.
- You'll lose 10 lbs
- Your breath will improve
- You'll shave half a second off your 40 time
- Your cock will grow an extra 1.5 inches
- Your hair will be fuller and more luminous
- Bears will be less likely to attack you
- Movie producers will stop you on the street and offer small, but memorable roles in their upcoming pictures
- Birds will no longer shit on your car
- You'll find a stranger's wallet on the street, return it and receive a $50 cash reward (that's less than was in the wallet, but at least you can feel good about doing the right thing)
- You'll live longer

Note that if you haven't yet experienced these, they're probably just one more day away, so be sure to post roll and stay quit for 24 more hours.

Haha!! Looking forward to #4!

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 2, 2016
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 06:14:00 AM »
Welcome RWC! Nice intro. I think there are a lot of us here that can relate to "ninja dippin" behind our wife's back.. I was certainly guilty of that myself.. No doubt it's a struggle but things get easier each day.. It's just something we Gotta Do! Hang in there buddy!!
Thanks Bert! Yeah I never enjoyed the constant sneaking around and making sure that all "paraphernalia" was put away before the wife came home. What a pain in the ass!

I just posted roll for day 8! Feeling pretty good. Still have the minor cravings here and there. Mainly when I'm doing a particular task such as driving. No worries though, I've loaded up on gum and mints and that seems to help. My main concern is how hungry I've been or how hungry I think I am? I'm sure this will pass in due time.

I've been trying to read as much as I can on the site. Something I haven't come across yet is what good side effects (for lack of a better word) have people experienced once they quit. What I mean here is whiter teeth, lower blood pressure, less moody, etc. I guess it would be mainly health benefits, but I'm curious as to what people have experienced. I'm sure I just haven't come across it yet. I do feel like my taste buds and sense of smell are more sensitive. I don't know if that's something that happens or not, but it has definitely changed.

I'm very stoked for the days ahead and hope to see more improvements in health, mood, etc. Thanks everyone for the support! And here's to 8 days quit! 'Cheers'
There are a litany of benefits and they happen to everyone.
- You'll lose 10 lbs
- Your breath will improve
- You'll shave half a second off your 40 time
- Your cock will grow an extra 1.5 inches
- Your hair will be fuller and more luminous
- Bears will be less likely to attack you
- Movie producers will stop you on the street and offer small, but memorable roles in their upcoming pictures
- Birds will no longer shit on your car
- You'll find a stranger's wallet on the street, return it and receive a $50 cash reward (that's less than was in the wallet, but at least you can feel good about doing the right thing)
- You'll live longer

Note that if you haven't yet experienced these, they're probably just one more day away, so be sure to post roll and stay quit for 24 more hours.

Offline rwcdrums

• Quitter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 05:33:00 AM »

Offline Bert75

• Quitter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »