Author Topic: SKOAL MONSTER  (Read 8712 times)

Offline G

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: SKOAL MONSTER
« Reply #282 on: July 18, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Congrats on 2000.

And thanks.

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #281 on: July 05, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
Quote from: Smokeyg
Quote from: Big
Quote from: derk40
Quote from: Nolaq
Quote from: Coach
Quote from: gmann
Quote from: wastepanel
Quote from: Skoal Monster
Quote from: razd611
Quote from: copingwithoutcopen
Quote from: T-Cell
Quote from: Diesel2112
Quote from: Mthomas3824
Quote from: Bradleyguy
Quote from: kdip
Quote from: brettlees
Quote from: Its_Got2Happen
Accountibility.

My battles here have all been fought, my lessons learned. I will always be an addict, that truth is burned into my addled brain. But there is no more danger of me caving. I'm past that. I'm just done, and it's ok. No fanfare, no wondering , no craves, no thoughts, no nostalgia. Just relief and regret. Sometimes victorious old warriors lay down their sword and dream of other things.

I am accountable to myself

I am accountable to my wife and kids

I am accountable to all of you that came before me and so graciously beat a path that I could follow.

I am accountable to all of you that came after me because my words still echo on these boards.

At some point , the accountability changed from you lunatics, back to me and my loved ones. In that subtle shift was the door slamming shut.

Roll call was fundamental in getting me to my feet, over a thousand days and a thousand daily promises until I learned how to keep just one promise. To stay quit, and then I did.

I haven't regularly posted roll since. I had to use the quit tracker to remember what day I was on. I check in from time to time, care about the site, the quitters, the admins, and even the window licking mods ;) . I come back for an inoculation of quit , and for the entertainment, and to see if my Syndrome decoder ring came in the mail. Sometimes I pitch in, some times I take. Don't confuse my lack of posting with a lack of credibility or integrity, perhaps I'm guilty "of a lack of recent participation" .

I am glad that the site was here for you when you needed it. Also glad that you still stop by to contribute periodically. Take what you need and leave the rest. Personally I still need roll. At 540 in I still feel like an infant in this quit. Perhaps that could change someday? I am sure it is different for everyone.
Your semi-bi annual contributions are very much appreciated. It's heartwarming to know that, somewhere over the rainbow, we too will be cured one day.

'sac' :scowick:

NOLAQ's dad used to say everything after "but" is bullshit. Good Luck.
"But there is no more danger of me caving." ????

That sentence is total BS. I get that you are in a good place... you have put in some time  have been a monster of quit. You helped me find the path too quit and I appreciate that.

However, there is always a danger for an addict. No matter how small the danger. There is no cure for being an addict. No magic pill, no time period, no nothing... it just is.

Whether you post roll or not everyday... that is your call. Just don't say "there is no more danger". The danger is always there and never totally fades.

Glad you are back posting more, you are great with words and support. And -- I have to agree with Derk and hope that those words are not a slip of the tongue revealing an achilles heel of complacency. I sort of get what you must have intended, but complacency is tricky so I question whether the words reveal a weakness. Have to say it in case you can't see it. It's called trying to have your back.
I'm far from complacent about my quit, believe me. I'm not suggesting I'm cured either. Nor am I suggesting that I roll call is not important. But the reality is that people don't stay here and post for 2,000 -3,000 days. why not? clearly they are not cured. Do they all cave? or is it something else.
My two cents on this. I am 840 days quit. I think I understand skoals point that he is still accountable and protects his quit. I don't think he was telling us what to do, he was explaining why he posts and why he doesn't. However, I can't fully understand what he means until I am at 2,002 days quit. So to the newbies on the site and anyone under 2,002 days quit, keep posting daily. When you reach 2002 days quit come back and read this post. Maybe it will make more sense. Until then, SM has been a great teacher in my quit. He knows the science behind our experiences. He is still quit and I have faith it will stay that way.
You know, mthomas...you are wise beyond your years. I've had a busy morning and have been thinking about this and came to the same conclusion.

Maybe, someday, I'll feel I have my addiction under control and won't need to post roll. But that's not important now. I need roll now, and I know that. I know that because I once had 3 years under my belt and still failed. I failed because I didn't keep my tools sharpened and ready.

I stopped posting roll the first time I was here around 150 days. It was a tumultuous time. My mom was dying from cancer. My wife and I were struggling with each other. Professionally, I had taken quite a hit to the ego and I was mulling over my next job. I got through these without failing (and roll), and I figured I had this. Time to concentrate on other things...

Every fall I put my law mower away after a season of use. It logs 3-4 hours a week summer through fall. We bought it 10 years ago and I've only had one instance that I had to send it in for repair work. It starts every time...well, except for those first few times each spring. I'm bad about starting it in the winter to assure smooth starting in the spring. I end up having to jump it, clean out the filters, change the oil, and wash off that junk I was too lazy to wash up before packing it away. In other words, my first On my way! is expletive laced and stressful. It takes me 3 times as long to get it done than normal, and my wife just sits inside shaking her head.

You never know when you're going to need your tools. I've luckily escaped so far. If I can't get it started, the shop has about a 4-5 week backlog. That means is have to beg and borrow or pay somebody $40 to mow the lawn twice a week. It won't be fun (especially of I have to wait to find out I need a new mower). I shouldn't take this chance when regular starting over the winter will alert me of issues beforehand and get it into the shop before I really need it.

Roll is the same. It's you turning the key and verifying your quit will run when you need it.

I've failed before. Never again.
Personally, I don't like the fact that this discussion is necessary. Only because new guys read it and they don't need to be thinking about any day other than right this minute. But I guess it is necessary. It's obvious that some folks stop posting daily at some point, and people question. I questioned big time. The first time I questioned was when loot announced another sabbatical from the site and I was probably at day 200 to one year. He assured me his nic quit was safe and he was fine. I knew he'd also just recently quit the booze, so I implored him to text me his roll daily and he agreed. Worked out well and that's where our friendship developed. My attitude has always been that I disagree with the decision to not post daily (or at least text it in) and do all I can to get them to reconsider. If they won't agree to be here daily, I try to get them to text me their roll call. If they don't want to do that, I figure I have done everything I can do. Can't quit for them. Can't hold them accountable when they say they don't need it or want it.

I don't think I have ever missed roll call. If I have, it was only one or two days and I thought I had posted and didn't realize until the next day that I never actually hit roll call.

Yes, the guys who have made a habit of not roll calling daily, or taken breaks, sabbaticals, whatever, have no right to come back and preach EDD to a new guy. But I don't think it makes loot or skoal monster or gaytor a hypocrite necessarily, because they needed EDD when they were a new guy and they are now passing on what they know works. I know others disagree with the hypocrite part, and that's fine. Whether it is okay to ever stop posting daily, at what point, etc., is probably better for thread other than an intro. As I said above, my preference is to not mention it at all because new guys will find it. But if there is interest, maybe someone has a good suggestion of a place to continue the discussion. I'm not saying it can't continue here, I'm just sayin...
I thought intros were the exact place to record your quit progression and thoughts.

Some think they have found peace with their quit and don't think they need this place everyday anymore. Hopefully they are right. Yet we see monthly examples of those that were wrong with a fresh Day1.

I personally need this place on a daily basis. Sm has my number. He has many. I trust he will use them if needed.
True, Razd. Can't really hide it in the end anyway.

I don't know my future, but, right now I'm QLF EDD and NAFAR and hitting roll call EDD.

Did I miss any acronyms?
Just your membership to NAMBLA.
http://blog.ung.edu/hist3220/files/2012 ... -800wi.jpg SFW
Very interesting discussion you started here SM! Have been missing your intellect lately.
Further proof of my theory that you can only run the jackhammer for so long.

sM has helped me more than he will ever know. Whether he's here every day or checks in from time to time, that will NEVER change.

Quits evolve, people evolve.

This shouldn't scare the new guys, it should inspire them.
Every fall I put my law mower away after a season of use. It logs 3-4 hours a week summer through fall. We bought it 10 years ago and I've only had one instance that I had to send it in for repair work. It starts every time...well, except for those first few times each spring. I'm bad about starting it in the winter to assure smooth starting in the spring. I end up having to jump it, clean out the filters, change the oil, and wash off that junk I was too lazy to wash up before packing it away. In other words, my first On my way! is expletive laced and stressful. It takes me 3 times as long to get it done than normal, and my wife just sits inside shaking her head.

You never know when you're going to need your tools. I've luckily escaped so far. If I can't get it started, the shop has about a 4-5 week backlog. That means is have to beg and borrow or pay somebody $40 to mow the lawn twice a week. It won't be fun (especially of I have to wait to find out I need a new mower). I shouldn't take this chance when regular starting over the winter will alert me of issues beforehand and get it into the shop before I really need it.
I really like this NolaQ, Is it possible to take home the tools and learn to fix the lawnmower in the garage? or you think I'll connect the spark hammer to the doohickey?
I connected my doohickey to a spark hammer one time. It'll make yer kids be born nekkid.
I'm a little slow on the uptake... What I see here is a who's who of members who've actually, collectively posted about 20,000 consecutive days quit in a circle jerk about whether a fucking addict to a poisonous, deadly substance should promise to quit every day or just until he doesn't feel like it anymore.

JEEzousfuckingchrist, please make it stop.

BBJ over 7000 and he's still fucking here edd
Ready well over 3000 and he's still fucking here.
There's a shit ton of folks here well over 2000.

sM 1 post in May and you're all suckin him off like he's some sort of guru. What in the fuck is going on here?

'bj' Im just saying that I can't and won't throw stones until I reach 2,000+ days quit. Some quitters are in elementary school with their quits and go to recess and couldn't imagine school without recess. Then they go to Jr High and recess doesn't matter. High School and they stay late and practice a sport, on the debate team or in a play.

The point is, a kid in recess and a kid in highschool is not the same and comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges.

Now there is some evidence that if one person can abstain nicotine for five years. They will not behave like an addict. Is that a cure? I don't know but my quit is much different at 800 than is was under 100. I once wondered, "why fight" I'm going to cave some day. Today I don't think I will cave but the program isn't broke so why try to change or fix it. I still post because it works but I don't crave, dream or think like I did under 100 days.

My thoughts differ from SM but that's because I am on floor 8 and he is on floor 20. Our views are seeing the same view with different perspectives. Maybe he is so high up, he is in the clouds and full of shit. Maybe its clear and pretty bad ass up there. I don't know but before calling him a hypocrite, get to 2,000 days. Skoal monster is a guru and I won't back away from giving him his dues. But Its true, I wont get to 2k to call bull shit or agree if I don't quit and win today. 840 to Zero with nicotine this program works and I am only worried about today.
What he said ^^^
Gotta agree with both quitters above me here. As I approach 900 days I know I am a far different quitter than I was at 100 or 200 or 300 days. I use to worry about caving, I use to crave, I went through all the phases we all went through (fog, anger, etc). That isn't part of my quit any more. I still post every day I'm on the grid (occasionally off to fish) because: 1)KTC showed me how to quit, I owe the site a huge thanks, 2)KTC members new and old continue to support and need support, I don't want to abandon that brotherhood just yet, and finally 3)it works and it continues to work.
I remember pre-100 days when I thought the HOF was a big benchmark, a graduation of sorts. I also remember being dissapointed when I realized absolutely nothing changes at that point. SM has had a huge impact on many quitters, myself included (he and WP scared the crap out of me), so I won't cast that stone either. Would love to see something slightly different for those with a lot of quit time in...
Cope , those are some good quotes from solid quitters.

You have to build accountability your right. I am not suggesting that roll call isn't a critical tool.

But you and I are having different discussions.

I'm asking what comes next? If anything?

How do any of us know that? Tomorrow I will be making my promise if I'm able. The stakes are simply too high. The folks I text and support deserve it. I'd be remiss if I let my shit slip up after only two years. I'd also argue that your wisdom would be much better spent helping us quit then to argue why you should drift away.
They are one in the same..
Not why I should drift away Cope, But why members like me are still assets.

Tricky ground I agree. My post is very similar to addict speak, even as I wrote it I had to carefully soul search.

Roll call for me was a tool that taught me accountability.

Accountability is still what keeps me quit.

But I am accountable in a different way now.

You got me here, sm.

Accountability is defined here by having each other's backs in this battle. I love that you have my back, but not all cries of help are blatant or literal. Some are simple ho-hums about philosophy here. Some are drifts. Some are flameouts.

The point is...if you are not here when I need you (and may, in fact, may not want you), how are you holding me accountable? I want to be quit and I'm willing to do anything possible.

This is a very interesting conversation, and I applaud. I am of the belief that roll is key. Every day. I may not have "needed" it today, but I believe that practicing for those bad times will allow me to lean on what I've learned when times are bad.
Listen to this guy quitters...he knows what he preaches, and he's lived it too. I also believe WP owes a debt of gratitude to the person we do not speak of who has left our presence. Roll. Call. Every. Damn. Day. Please....I beg someone to tell me I got this all wrong. The keyboard cowboy is ready to go.
We can say loot's name. He helped me for sure. But loot has not posted EDD. So if you're saying his advice is of no use because he has taken long breaks from roll call, then I disagree.

Of course, I also disagree with NOT posting EDD.

BTW, I love BBD and that quote, but he hasn't been EDD either. Just sayin.
We agree on 100% roll call.
We do. For e'ery damn body. BBJ on down.
That's a damn good start. Anyone else want to jump on this bandwagon? Neither Gmann nor myself are wearing clothes.
I'm your Huckleberry...
I'm down!
10 Sept 2006 .... I will remember that day and those who I met in a chat room that didn't know me and wouldn't believe the news I had to tell them ... it will be 8 years since that date on 10 Sept 2014 ... i will be Quit 21 years one week before that date on 03 Sept 2014 ...

I post roll to honor my brother and to honor the commitment I made to those friends and to remind myself that no amount of nicotine in any way , shape or form will change my path ... Take what you need and leave the rest ... I know when I read some of the things here it could affect me in a positive or a negative way but the one thing that remains constant is that I post Roll and I have my Brothers and sisters back whenever it is needed ... Opinions are your own and interjecting them into what is right and what is wrong is pure speculation ... there is nothing else that matters but to do what works for you ... posting Roll works for me ... period

B.ig B.rother J.ack

First, posting roll (2,236) works for me.

Second, there is always a danger of caving. However, some people may be able to find consistent accountability away from the site. I can't imagine ingesting nicotine these days, but I know the possibility is always there. My accountability to 65fl in August 2008 keeps my quit in the forefront. I have 100% confidence that Skoal Monster will keep his quit in the forefront and if/when he sees a chink in his armor, he'll know where to turn.

Third, Skoal Monster is an everlasting douchebag. His taut muscles are flabby, his aviator shades are scratched, and his fishlips are sagging, but he's still a huge fucking douchebag. Full of douchey douchebaggery. FUUF douchebag.

'Finger'
I was just re-reading my intro, and I wrote this nearly 800 days ago. I still feel the same:

Day 283

I have posted roll everyday for 283 days in October 2011. I have posted roll in multiple other groups as well. Sometimes, I was offering support. Other times, I felt obligated to.

It doesn't matter my reasons. I have done it religiously for 283 days. I have only posted my roll via text during one period of time in that 283 days: when I hopped up on painkillers after my surgery.

I post roll because it is my obligation to keep my quit strong.

Forever is a scary, appealing concept. It is scary because it entails your whole fucking life. Fuck. I'm 34. If I kept all my promises from 20 years ago, I'd be rapping astronaut (that still played Transformers).

We all change.

We put away our toys. We live in reality. We have mortgages.

Our quits have to change with us as well.

Our addicted brains will use this word "Forever" as a sword and as a weak point in our armor.

I am quit today. I am strong as hell in my quit, and I feel like I'll be quit forever. It is beautiful to wake up without sore gums. It is wonderful not have to find my can first thing in the morning because it got shoved down a couch cushion the night before. I can hold meetings without having to pre-plan beforehand, and stuff my face afterwards. I don't have to justify to myself that I should just leave the chew in during the meeting because I'll be calmer.

It's this strength that leads to this statement:

FUCK YOU, YOU NASTY ASS WHORE. YOU WILL NOT PULL A JEDI MIND TRICK ON MY ASS AND HELP ME FORGET AGAIN. I AM FUCKING QUIT. I KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO ME BEFORE AND IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN. I POST ROLL EVERYDAY TO KEEP YOUR SHIT OUT OF MY FACE. I WILL DO THIS EVERYDAY, WITHOUT EXCEPTION. IT IS MY DUTY TO MYSELF, MY FAMILY, AND ALL OF MY QUIT BROTHERS TO DO THIS. I DO THIS BECAUSE I HAVE TO. I HAVE TO REMEMBER OR ALL OF THIS IS FOR NAUGHT.

BUT GUESS THE FUCK WHAT? NOT ONLY AM I GOING TO NOT LET YOU HAVE YOUR WAY WITH ME, I WILL MAKE SURE THAT EVERY BADASS MOTHER FUCKER THAT WANTS TO STOP SEEING YOUR PATHETIC ASS IS ARMED WITH MY EXPERIENCES. I DO THIS BECAUSE I WANT TO. IT'S BECAUSE I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU. I WILL NOT LET YOU CLAIM ANOTHER THAT WANTS TO BE FREE.

SO, GO AHEAD. TELL ME HOW STRONG I AM AND THAT I WASN'T LIKE THIS WHEN WE WERE TOGETHER. IT'S BECAUSE I WASN'T. YOU HELD ME DOWN. YOU MADE ME A SNIVELING LITTLE TURD WITH TURDS STUCK IN HIS LIPS. TELL ME I'LL BE ABLE TO WALK AWAY FROM THE BOARD BECAUSE I'M STRONGER I HAVE XXX DAYS QUIT. FUCK YOU YOU LYING SACK OF SHIT.

I KNOW FUCKING BETTER.

Gentlemen,

If I ever, ever, ever say the words "I won't be posting anymore because...", I want all of you to blow up my phone. I have 60 numbers in my phone, and I want a text from everybody. I want PM's and emails shooting from my computer. I want facebook posts all over my front page asking what day I'm on. I want to have to change telephone numbers in order stick with my decision. I want you guys to be relentless in your pursuit. If I refuse to post on the board, ask for my promise via text.

I'm so tired of reading about vets that are "tired" of posting roll. We tell our new quitters they have to post everyday. Did you miss that speech? What kind of fucking examples are we when we talk about how much of a chore it is to do?

It's not a fucking chore.

It's an honor.
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline Smokeyg

• Quit King
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #280 on: July 03, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
Quote from: Big
Quote from: Skoal
Accountibility.

My battles here have all been fought, my lessons learned. I will always be an addict, that truth is burned into my addled brain. But there is no more danger of me caving. I'm past that. I'm just done, and it's ok. No fanfare, no wondering , no craves, no thoughts, no nostalgia. Just relief and regret. Sometimes victorious old warriors lay down their sword and dream of other things.

I am accountable to all of you that came before me and so graciously beat a path that I could follow.

I am accountable to all of you that came after me because my words still echo on these boards.

At some point , the accountability changed from you lunatics, back to me and my loved ones. In that subtle shift was the door slamming shut.

Roll call was fundamental in getting me to my feet, over a thousand days and a thousand daily promises until I learned how to keep just one promise. To stay quit, and then I did.

I haven't regularly posted roll since. I had to use the quit tracker to remember what day I was on. I check in from time to time, care about the site, the quitters, the admins, and even the window licking mods ;) . I come back for an inoculation of quit , and for the entertainment, and to see if my Syndrome decoder ring came in the mail. Sometimes I pitch in, some times I take. Don't confuse my lack of posting with a lack of credibility or integrity, perhaps I'm guilty "of a lack of recent participation" .

I am glad that the site was here for you when you needed it. Also glad that you still stop by to contribute periodically. Take what you need and leave the rest. Personally I still need roll. At 540 in I still feel like an infant in this quit. Perhaps that could change someday? I am sure it is different for everyone.
Your semi-bi annual contributions are very much appreciated. It's heartwarming to know that, somewhere over the rainbow, we too will be cured one day.

That sentence is total BS. I get that you are in a good place... you have put in some time  have been a monster of quit. You helped me find the path too quit and I appreciate that.

However, there is always a danger for an addict. No matter how small the danger. There is no cure for being an addict. No magic pill, no time period, no nothing... it just is.

Whether you post roll or not everyday... that is your call. Just don't say "there is no more danger". The danger is always there and never totally fades.

Glad you are back posting more, you are great with words and support. And -- I have to agree with Derk and hope that those words are not a slip of the tongue revealing an achilles heel of complacency. I sort of get what you must have intended, but complacency is tricky so I question whether the words reveal a weakness. Have to say it in case you can't see it. It's called trying to have your back.
I'm far from complacent about my quit, believe me. I'm not suggesting I'm cured either. Nor am I suggesting that I roll call is not important. But the reality is that people don't stay here and post for 2,000 -3,000 days. why not? clearly they are not cured. Do they all cave? or is it something else.
My two cents on this. I am 840 days quit. I think I understand skoals point that he is still accountable and protects his quit. I don't think he was telling us what to do, he was explaining why he posts and why he doesn't. However, I can't fully understand what he means until I am at 2,002 days quit. So to the newbies on the site and anyone under 2,002 days quit, keep posting daily. When you reach 2002 days quit come back and read this post. Maybe it will make more sense. Until then, SM has been a great teacher in my quit. He knows the science behind our experiences. He is still quit and I have faith it will stay that way.
You know, mthomas...you are wise beyond your years. I've had a busy morning and have been thinking about this and came to the same conclusion.

Maybe, someday, I'll feel I have my addiction under control and won't need to post roll. But that's not important now. I need roll now, and I know that. I know that because I once had 3 years under my belt and still failed. I failed because I didn't keep my tools sharpened and ready.

I stopped posting roll the first time I was here around 150 days. It was a tumultuous time. My mom was dying from cancer. My wife and I were struggling with each other. Professionally, I had taken quite a hit to the ego and I was mulling over my next job. I got through these without failing (and roll), and I figured I had this. Time to concentrate on other things...

Roll is the same. It's you turning the key and verifying your quit will run when you need it.

Personally, I don't like the fact that this discussion is necessary. Only because new guys read it and they don't need to be thinking about any day other than right this minute. But I guess it is necessary. It's obvious that some folks stop posting daily at some point, and people question. I questioned big time. The first time I questioned was when loot announced another sabbatical from the site and I was probably at day 200 to one year. He assured me his nic quit was safe and he was fine. I knew he'd also just recently quit the booze, so I implored him to text me his roll daily and he agreed. Worked out well and that's where our friendship developed. My attitude has always been that I disagree with the decision to not post daily (or at least text it in) and do all I can to get them to reconsider. If they won't agree to be here daily, I try to get them to text me their roll call. If they don't want to do that, I figure I have done everything I can do. Can't quit for them. Can't hold them accountable when they say they don't need it or want it.

I don't think I have ever missed roll call. If I have, it was only one or two days and I thought I had posted and didn't realize until the next day that I never actually hit roll call.

Yes, the guys who have made a habit of not roll calling daily, or taken breaks, sabbaticals, whatever, have no right to come back and preach EDD to a new guy. But I don't think it makes loot or skoal monster or gaytor a hypocrite necessarily, because they needed EDD when they were a new guy and they are now passing on what they know works. I know others disagree with the hypocrite part, and that's fine. Whether it is okay to ever stop posting daily, at what point, etc., is probably better for thread other than an intro. As I said above, my preference is to not mention it at all because new guys will find it. But if there is interest, maybe someone has a good suggestion of a place to continue the discussion. I'm not saying it can't continue here, I'm just sayin...
I thought intros were the exact place to record your quit progression and thoughts.

Some think they have found peace with their quit and don't think they need this place everyday anymore. Hopefully they are right. Yet we see monthly examples of those that were wrong with a fresh Day1.

I personally need this place on a daily basis. Sm has my number. He has many. I trust he will use them if needed.

I don't know my future, but, right now I'm QLF EDD and NAFAR and hitting roll call EDD.

Did I miss any acronyms?
Very interesting discussion you started here SM! Have been missing your intellect lately.

sM has helped me more than he will ever know. Whether he's here every day or checks in from time to time, that will NEVER change.

I really like this NolaQ, Is it possible to take home the tools and learn to fix the lawnmower in the garage? or you think I'll connect the spark hammer to the doohickey?
I connected my doohickey to a spark hammer one time. It'll make yer kids be born nekkid.
I'm a little slow on the uptake... What I see here is a who's who of members who've actually, collectively posted about 20,000 consecutive days quit in a circle jerk about whether a fucking addict to a poisonous, deadly substance should promise to quit every day or just until he doesn't feel like it anymore.

sM 1 post in May and you're all suckin him off like he's some sort of guru. What in the fuck is going on here?

'bj' Im just saying that I can't and won't throw stones until I reach 2,000+ days quit. Some quitters are in elementary school with their quits and go to recess and couldn't imagine school without recess. Then they go to Jr High and recess doesn't matter. High School and they stay late and practice a sport, on the debate team or in a play.

The point is, a kid in recess and a kid in highschool is not the same and comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges.

Now there is some evidence that if one person can abstain nicotine for five years. They will not behave like an addict. Is that a cure? I don't know but my quit is much different at 800 than is was under 100. I once wondered, "why fight" I'm going to cave some day. Today I don't think I will cave but the program isn't broke so why try to change or fix it. I still post because it works but I don't crave, dream or think like I did under 100 days.

My thoughts differ from SM but that's because I am on floor 8 and he is on floor 20. Our views are seeing the same view with different perspectives. Maybe he is so high up, he is in the clouds and full of shit. Maybe its clear and pretty bad ass up there. I don't know but before calling him a hypocrite, get to 2,000 days. Skoal monster is a guru and I won't back away from giving him his dues. But Its true, I wont get to 2k to call bull shit or agree if I don't quit and win today. 840 to Zero with nicotine this program works and I am only worried about today.
What he said ^^^
Gotta agree with both quitters above me here. As I approach 900 days I know I am a far different quitter than I was at 100 or 200 or 300 days. I use to worry about caving, I use to crave, I went through all the phases we all went through (fog, anger, etc). That isn't part of my quit any more. I still post every day I'm on the grid (occasionally off to fish) because: 1)KTC showed me how to quit, I owe the site a huge thanks, 2)KTC members new and old continue to support and need support, I don't want to abandon that brotherhood just yet, and finally 3)it works and it continues to work.
I remember pre-100 days when I thought the HOF was a big benchmark, a graduation of sorts. I also remember being dissapointed when I realized absolutely nothing changes at that point. SM has had a huge impact on many quitters, myself included (he and WP scared the crap out of me), so I won't cast that stone either. Would love to see something slightly different for those with a lot of quit time in...

You have to build accountability your right. I am not suggesting that roll call isn't a critical tool.

How do any of us know that? Tomorrow I will be making my promise if I'm able. The stakes are simply too high. The folks I text and support deserve it. I'd be remiss if I let my shit slip up after only two years. I'd also argue that your wisdom would be much better spent helping us quit then to argue why you should drift away.

Tricky ground I agree. My post is very similar to addict speak, even as I wrote it I had to carefully soul search.

You got me here, sm.

Accountability is defined here by having each other's backs in this battle. I love that you have my back, but not all cries of help are blatant or literal. Some are simple ho-hums about philosophy here. Some are drifts. Some are flameouts.

The point is...if you are not here when I need you (and may, in fact, may not want you), how are you holding me accountable? I want to be quit and I'm willing to do anything possible.

This is a very interesting conversation, and I applaud. I am of the belief that roll is key. Every day. I may not have "needed" it today, but I believe that practicing for those bad times will allow me to lean on what I've learned when times are bad.
Listen to this guy quitters...he knows what he preaches, and he's lived it too. I also believe WP owes a debt of gratitude to the person we do not speak of who has left our presence. Roll. Call. Every. Damn. Day. Please....I beg someone to tell me I got this all wrong. The keyboard cowboy is ready to go.
We can say loot's name. He helped me for sure. But loot has not posted EDD. So if you're saying his advice is of no use because he has taken long breaks from roll call, then I disagree.

That's a damn good start. Anyone else want to jump on this bandwagon? Neither Gmann nor myself are wearing clothes.
I'm your Huckleberry...
I'm down!
10 Sept 2006 .... I will remember that day and those who I met in a chat room that didn't know me and wouldn't believe the news I had to tell them ... it will be 8 years since that date on 10 Sept 2014 ... i will be Quit 21 years one week before that date on 03 Sept 2014 ...

I post roll to honor my brother and to honor the commitment I made to those friends and to remind myself that no amount of nicotine in any way , shape or form will change my path ... Take what you need and leave the rest ... I know when I read some of the things here it could affect me in a positive or a negative way but the one thing that remains constant is that I post Roll and I have my Brothers and sisters back whenever it is needed ... Opinions are your own and interjecting them into what is right and what is wrong is pure speculation ... there is nothing else that matters but to do what works for you ... posting Roll works for me ... period

B.ig B.rother J.ack

First, posting roll (2,236) works for me.

Second, there is always a danger of caving. However, some people may be able to find consistent accountability away from the site. I can't imagine ingesting nicotine these days, but I know the possibility is always there. My accountability to 65fl in August 2008 keeps my quit in the forefront. I have 100% confidence that Skoal Monster will keep his quit in the forefront and if/when he sees a chink in his armor, he'll know where to turn.

Third, Skoal Monster is an everlasting douchebag. His taut muscles are flabby, his aviator shades are scratched, and his fishlips are sagging, but he's still a huge fucking douchebag. Full of douchey douchebaggery. FUUF douchebag.

'Finger'

Offline 30isEnuff

• Quitter
  • Keeping my jaw and tongue, I like them.
    • I'm The Owner of this Place.
  • Quit Date: May 25, 2012
  • Interests: "Being Quit" Today, just Today.Moving on to more of life before the light is gone.
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #279 on: July 02, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
Quote from: SirDerek
Quote from: grizzlyhasclaws
I will not become complacent.

I will not think I ever have this beat.

I will not let myself forget the chains in which kept me constantly tied to a can.

I will not forget how bad the first few weeks sucked.

I will not forget how much healthier I feel now.

I will not forget that we are all one bad decision away from a 19 year cave.

I will not forget that I am an addict.

-bigbamadan
Bump this shit too. Everyone seems content on ignoring CWC these days.
This post makes a lot of sense to me and it is not a different conversation!
All right lets have this conversation. Number one, KTC is fantastic, the program works and I for one am posting roll every day. I have said that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Posting roll does keep you quit but it doesn't necessarily put you in recovery. Addicts have two choices, to use or to get into recovery. Recovery is much more than being quit.

Example: (This is Rhetorical because answers will be addict speak) When you quit nicotine, how many of you gained weight, how many of you found yourselves drinking more, looking at more porn, getting prescriptions, how many found that they were bigger assholes to people? You are still an addict, just switched your vice.

Anyone who has gone to AA understands the term "Dry Drunk". This site is full of dry dippers that aren't advancing past posting roll and staying quit. They aren't living life on life's terms. They're relationships are hurting but my fuck they are quit and post roll daily.

Posting roll daily is something I do and I don't plan to change it. Skoal Monster IMO was basically saying that he is still and addict but his accountability, his word, his recovery in quit is advancing. He is accountable to family. In the beginning we couldn't because we failed them so many times. Now we have put so many deposits in our quit bank, quitting and being accountable to my family is possible.

So Elementary to recovery is to quit. Then you hit the hall (Jr High). Then you get to the hurt. (High School) I am still in high school but I'm guessing SM is in College now. (Do you have these conversations on this site? "I've gained 25lbs, I am always drunk, I have so much anxiety and feel like my world is caving in but I am quit!")

I am not saying that SM is right in his explanation. I just think its rude to call someone like him a hypocrite when you guys are still drinking milk and he is eating steak in his quit. Dry dippers better start getting into recovery and meetings. Otherwise people won't care to be around your angry, fat, drunk ass. Look in the mirror dickfaces and advance your quits! Don't stay stuck in elementary. Step by step and always an addict. The goal is to always be recovering and treating your disease of addiction! Don't just change your drug of choice; be it sex, food, drugs, alcohol, or hating.

This doesn't hurt the newbies. Tell them to get to 2k days then decides where they are in their quits. There is so much more to posting roll to be in recovery. Posting roll is the beginning but you angry bastards better start reading about being in recovery from your addiction or you will lose the very relationships you wan't to stick around for.
Mthomas, wow, that is some thought provoking stuff. I am overeating and drinking more since quitting nicotine. Recovery? Where do I get recovery? Seriously.
I know I'm an addict and that I've simply switched from tobacco to food/alcohol. How do I curb the addictive personality? Or do I just channel it to good things besides food and alcohol?
MThomas just so eloquently put, well described.

This is one of the portions of which I fight with. Have documented here my weight gain from when I quit....and subsequently have lost since I replaced a little of the void with exercise (a positive influence).

As to the other end, and this is in my opinion only, I look to one of the key aspects of the site. The word Brotherhood. How much more positive can you get in replacing an addition when you add this into its place.

It is also why how many numbers do we have in our phones? I have been lax at it, but I am working on it where now I don't only want to send numbers of my quit day to others, or just text when I see someone is down. No, I need to start to incorporate this Brotherhood into life. Call and see how one is doing with their kids. Or talk about the latest trade in the NFL, or any thing other than quit. That to me is living the quit not just being quit. Replace the poison with the relationships that matter,

Now I am at 2 years. I can be slow, I can be naïve so I am still new. Am I quit, heck yea, Will I continue to post roll, heck yea, Will I 10 years from now, we will have to see as if I am alive I may, or I may have enough of the right friends that I will still give my word to daily. But that is then and this is now.

back to my castle....
The best answer is to get to eat steak but it helps to have a cold glass of milk to wash it down! Post roll, keep your word and stay quit. Then when quitting is easy, start working the 12 steps or attend meetings to learn about recovery.

Posting Roll daily and making it routine like brushing your teeth keeps you quit. (Its so easy to do and if you do it daily, you can't fail!)
Being able to be accountable to your family and add them to your roll is graduating and strengthening your quit long term.

One day, if you only quit nicotine, you will never be in recovery and you risk being addicted to something else. I hope none of us move from dipping to something else that is cancer causing, liver killing, heart hardening, or relationship destroying. Always an addict. You are either using or in recovery. (Don't just switch drug of choice and keep the behaviors of lying, denying, excusing, blaming, hating, etc.)

If SM posts daily or now and again, I will never stop posting and use him as and excuse to not post. SM is not KTC. KTC teaches us the way to quit but is up to the individual to act for themselves.

I am accountable to my quit. I have no choice and admit that I am an addict but I choose not to behave like one. If you don't post roll and blame or excuse your behavior is because of SM. You're an addict and you chose not to follow the plan. SM told his personal reasons for his actions but I never read where he gave or encouraged any other quitter to post when they feel like it. So newbies and vets, own your quits and you know what KTC expects of you. I have never regretted any day I posted roll. Well maybe that day I wanted to cave but when I woke and was still quit, I was glad I posted and didn't regret staying quit.

Addicts make excuses and recovering addicts accept and live life on life's terms.

Okay, I'm getting off my soap box. Take what you need and leave the rest.

I'm just glad to be alive and a part of KTC. I mean really, I know I would not be quit today maybe not even alive, if it weren't for all of you! SM, MT, CWOC, Diesel, Morganna, all of youse, yins, yall, vets and newbies, period. I mean just today another slave takes his life back...El Capitan. This site saves lives.
Keeping my jaw and tongue...I like them.
It's poison I tell ya, You wouldn't drink Liquid Drano, would ya?

Offline Mthomas3824

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2012-03-14
  • Interests: Living my life and never turning back to the can of lies.
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #278 on: July 02, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
Quote from: SirDerek

I will not let myself forget the chains in which kept me constantly tied to a can.

-bigbamadan
All right lets have this conversation. Number one, KTC is fantastic, the program works and I for one am posting roll every day. I have said that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Posting roll does keep you quit but it doesn't necessarily put you in recovery. Addicts have two choices, to use or to get into recovery. Recovery is much more than being quit.

Example: (This is Rhetorical because answers will be addict speak) When you quit nicotine, how many of you gained weight, how many of you found yourselves drinking more, looking at more porn, getting prescriptions, how many found that they were bigger assholes to people? You are still an addict, just switched your vice.

Anyone who has gone to AA understands the term "Dry Drunk". This site is full of dry dippers that aren't advancing past posting roll and staying quit. They aren't living life on life's terms. They're relationships are hurting but my fuck they are quit and post roll daily.

Posting roll daily is something I do and I don't plan to change it. Skoal Monster IMO was basically saying that he is still and addict but his accountability, his word, his recovery in quit is advancing. He is accountable to family. In the beginning we couldn't because we failed them so many times. Now we have put so many deposits in our quit bank, quitting and being accountable to my family is possible.

So Elementary to recovery is to quit. Then you hit the hall (Jr High). Then you get to the hurt. (High School) I am still in high school but I'm guessing SM is in College now. (Do you have these conversations on this site? "I've gained 25lbs, I am always drunk, I have so much anxiety and feel like my world is caving in but I am quit!")

I am not saying that SM is right in his explanation. I just think its rude to call someone like him a hypocrite when you guys are still drinking milk and he is eating steak in his quit. Dry dippers better start getting into recovery and meetings. Otherwise people won't care to be around your angry, fat, drunk ass. Look in the mirror dickfaces and advance your quits! Don't stay stuck in elementary. Step by step and always an addict. The goal is to always be recovering and treating your disease of addiction! Don't just change your drug of choice; be it sex, food, drugs, alcohol, or hating.

This doesn't hurt the newbies. Tell them to get to 2k days then decides where they are in their quits. There is so much more to posting roll to be in recovery. Posting roll is the beginning but you angry bastards better start reading about being in recovery from your addiction or you will lose the very relationships you wan't to stick around for.
Mthomas, wow, that is some thought provoking stuff. I am overeating and drinking more since quitting nicotine. Recovery? Where do I get recovery? Seriously.
I know I'm an addict and that I've simply switched from tobacco to food/alcohol. How do I curb the addictive personality? Or do I just channel it to good things besides food and alcohol?

This is one of the portions of which I fight with. Have documented here my weight gain from when I quit....and subsequently have lost since I replaced a little of the void with exercise (a positive influence).

As to the other end, and this is in my opinion only, I look to one of the key aspects of the site. The word Brotherhood. How much more positive can you get in replacing an addition when you add this into its place.

It is also why how many numbers do we have in our phones? I have been lax at it, but I am working on it where now I don't only want to send numbers of my quit day to others, or just text when I see someone is down. No, I need to start to incorporate this Brotherhood into life. Call and see how one is doing with their kids. Or talk about the latest trade in the NFL, or any thing other than quit. That to me is living the quit not just being quit. Replace the poison with the relationships that matter,

Now I am at 2 years. I can be slow, I can be naïve so I am still new. Am I quit, heck yea, Will I continue to post roll, heck yea, Will I 10 years from now, we will have to see as if I am alive I may, or I may have enough of the right friends that I will still give my word to daily. But that is then and this is now.

back to my castle....
The best answer is to get to eat steak but it helps to have a cold glass of milk to wash it down! Post roll, keep your word and stay quit. Then when quitting is easy, start working the 12 steps or attend meetings to learn about recovery.

Posting Roll daily and making it routine like brushing your teeth keeps you quit. (Its so easy to do and if you do it daily, you can't fail!)
Being able to be accountable to your family and add them to your roll is graduating and strengthening your quit long term.

One day, if you only quit nicotine, you will never be in recovery and you risk being addicted to something else. I hope none of us move from dipping to something else that is cancer causing, liver killing, heart hardening, or relationship destroying. Always an addict. You are either using or in recovery. (Don't just switch drug of choice and keep the behaviors of lying, denying, excusing, blaming, hating, etc.)

If SM posts daily or now and again, I will never stop posting and use him as and excuse to not post. SM is not KTC. KTC teaches us the way to quit but is up to the individual to act for themselves.

I am accountable to my quit. I have no choice and admit that I am an addict but I choose not to behave like one. If you don't post roll and blame or excuse your behavior is because of SM. You're an addict and you chose not to follow the plan. SM told his personal reasons for his actions but I never read where he gave or encouraged any other quitter to post when they feel like it. So newbies and vets, own your quits and you know what KTC expects of you. I have never regretted any day I posted roll. Well maybe that day I wanted to cave but when I woke and was still quit, I was glad I posted and didn't regret staying quit.

Addicts make excuses and recovering addicts accept and live life on life's terms.

Okay, I'm getting off my soap box. Take what you need and leave the rest.
Quit And Be Free

HOF Speech

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #277 on: July 02, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »

-bigbamadan

back to my castle....

Offline Mthomas3824

• Epic Quitter
« Reply #276 on: July 02, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »

-bigbamadan

Sent you a PM bro. There is so much help out there! You're about to have some great information and start liking yourself and be proud of your progress!
Quit And Be Free

HOF Speech

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #275 on: July 02, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »

-bigbamadan

Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #274 on: July 02, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »

-bigbamadan

Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline Mthomas3824

• Epic Quitter
« Reply #273 on: July 02, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »

-bigbamadan

Quit And Be Free

HOF Speech

Offline Done4Me

• Epic Quitter
  • Interests: Family, Beach, Fishing, BBQ
« Reply #272 on: July 01, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »
Accountibility.

Did I miss any acronyms?

What he said ^^^

You got me here, sm.

I'm your Huckleberry...
I'm down!
I'm in only because I've always wanted to go streaking. I would appreciate a 5 minute warning to trim my nut hairs.

Offline Big Brother Jack

• Quit + 1
  • Master of Quit
    • www.facebook.com
  • Quit Date: 1993-09-03
  • Interests: Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #271 on: July 01, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Accountibility.

Did I miss any acronyms?

What he said ^^^

You got me here, sm.

I'm your Huckleberry...
I'm down!

B.ig B.rother J.ack
No Chew Crue - Cliff's Big Brother Jack

B.ig B.rother J.ack

Offline Derk40

• Quit Pro
« Reply #270 on: July 01, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »

-bigbamadan
Quit date: 6/23/2013
HOF Date: 9/30/2013

HOF Speech

Offline Derk40

• Quit Pro
« Reply #269 on: July 01, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
Accountibility.

Did I miss any acronyms?

What he said ^^^

You got me here, sm.

I'm your Huckleberry...
I'm down!
Quit date: 6/23/2013
HOF Date: 9/30/2013

HOF Speech

Offline Nolaq

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #268 on: July 01, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
Accountibility.

Did I miss any acronyms?

What he said ^^^

You got me here, sm.

I'm your Huckleberry...
What is your major malfunction?!?!?!?!