Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 3690 times)

Offline gottadoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit King
  • Quit Date: 5/5/2017
  • Likes Given: 248
Re: Introduction
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 01:53:00 PM »
poof
"Get Busy Quittin' or Get Busy Dying"

My Introduction

My HOF Speech

Offline David S

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 12:23:00 PM »
Poof

Offline David S

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
Quote from: Bulldog0311
Quote from: David
Wanted to share an addict experience this AM. I'll preface by saying at no time was I considering caving or anything else. Also, I need to let you know that my #1 tool is Smokey Mountain wintergreen. I know there are mixed feelings on using fake etc. but I do. Anyway, I realize around 9:30 this AM that I was "dipping" my last Smokey Mountain that I had. Panic set in...Suddenly, job/tasks weren't important, all that mattered was that I find some Smokey Mountain. being that Walmart is the only store near me (that I know of) that carries it, I went to the one near my office (leaving work to run this errand and this errand only)...that walmart was out of wintergreen...I lost it...I flew to the walmart across town (10 minutes or so) calling them while on the way asking if they had it IN STOCK -- all they would tell me is that they carry it....I already knew that. So I pull in and go to the tobacco counter because they're where they sell the SM, and she said "we only have classic....then she reached further back, oh, here's a whole box (10 cans) -- I'll take the whole box please. Walking out there was immediate relaxation knowing that "major problem" had been solved. It hit me like a ton of bricks as I was walking out the door....I even texted FF at this time...this is addiction..it was a vivid flashback to when I dipped tobacco/nicotine and that's EXACTLY how I'd react if I ran out at an inconvenient time. I probably would have driven 30+ miles if needed to find smokey mountain if I had to. In hindsight, it worries me that I may be creating a dependency of sorts on SM but I still think that's better than the real cat poo. I'll just try to minimize consumption and hope that, like others, the need/desire for it just goes away one day.
Hi David,

Once again I find remarkable similarity in your story. I too used Smokey mountain. I had a particular fondness for peach. In my journal I dedicate a post in the beginning, exactly as you wrote, to the joy of smokey mountain and the freedom it brings. Later I realize that it's a crutch and I lament ever using it.
There's only one right answer here and you touched on it in your post. It doesn't matter how you stay clean and free of nicotine...just that you stay free of it.
It will require you to at some point to let go if the crutch. It just doesn't go away on its own in my experience. You kind of have to decide to let it go. It's somewhat like the analogy of ripping the bandage off all at once or slowly peeling it away. At some point it's got to cone off. The important thing is that your quit of nicotine. The rest will happen on its own.

Stay strong brother. Just stay quit.
This addiction never ceases to blow my mind by how damn consuming it was/is.

My weigh in here won't matter much because I decided from the get go... no fake for me. Straight up cold turkey... let come what may. The reason?... exactly what you have described in your post bro. It was just too damn close to the real thing. I was afraid the remove from actual dip wasn't far enough.

That being said... I'd say don't sweat it. Not even a little bit. The first thing I see here, the most important thing I see here... a dude owning his Quit. Protecting it with a tool he knows to work.

That's badass.
Real badass.

I'm sitting at 1,529 days today and all those things you hope when you first Quit (will the cravings fade... will this get easier... will you ever NOT think about it) have all come to pass. I never think about a dip anymore. Cravings are squashed in a mere thought. I am no longer tethered to the Quitting process... I'm Quit. It'll happen, man. Just ride it out and do what you're doing. Rewriting your addict brain will take time... this is you healing.

This is the path to freedom and it's so damn cool.
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline Bulldog0311

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 12/02/13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 11:45:00 PM »
Wanted to share an addict experience this AM. I'll preface by saying at no time was I considering caving or anything else. Also, I need to let you know that my #1 tool is Smokey Mountain wintergreen. I know there are mixed feelings on using fake etc. but I do. Anyway, I realize around 9:30 this AM that I was "dipping" my last Smokey Mountain that I had. Panic set in...Suddenly, job/tasks weren't important, all that mattered was that I find some Smokey Mountain. being that Walmart is the only store near me (that I know of) that carries it, I went to the one near my office (leaving work to run this errand and this errand only)...that walmart was out of wintergreen...I lost it...I flew to the walmart across town (10 minutes or so) calling them while on the way asking if they had it IN STOCK -- all they would tell me is that they carry it....I already knew that. So I pull in and go to the tobacco counter because they're where they sell the SM, and she said "we only have classic....then she reached further back, oh, here's a whole box (10 cans) -- I'll take the whole box please. Walking out there was immediate relaxation knowing that "major problem" had been solved. It hit me like a ton of bricks as I was walking out the door....I even texted FF at this time...this is addiction..it was a vivid flashback to when I dipped tobacco/nicotine and that's EXACTLY how I'd react if I ran out at an inconvenient time. I probably would have driven 30+ miles if needed to find smokey mountain if I had to. In hindsight, it worries me that I may be creating a dependency of sorts on SM but I still think that's better than the real cat poo. I'll just try to minimize consumption and hope that, like others, the need/desire for it just goes away one day.
Hi David,

Once again I find remarkable similarity in your story. I too used Smokey mountain. I had a particular fondness for peach. In my journal I dedicate a post in the beginning, exactly as you wrote, to the joy of smokey mountain and the freedom it brings. Later I realize that it's a crutch and I lament ever using it.
There's only one right answer here and you touched on it in your post. It doesn't matter how you stay clean and free of nicotine...just that you stay free of it.
It will require you to at some point to let go if the crutch. It just doesn't go away on its own in my experience. You kind of have to decide to let it go. It's somewhat like the analogy of ripping the bandage off all at once or slowly peeling it away. At some point it's got to cone off. The important thing is that your quit of nicotine. The rest will happen on its own.

Stay strong brother. Just stay quit.

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 248
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 11:43:00 PM »
A continuation of yesterdays' story --

so today (fully stocked on Smokey Mountain) I've been trying to withhold my urges for a fake dip. at 9:30 I almost put one in...pretty much every 30-45 minutes I've thought about taking one, etc...funny thing is...I keep forgetting to. Like I'll be in the back office, thought crosses, can is up in my office, and then I forgot....now, 53 days ago, I would have jumped out the window of a 2 story building without a parachute or a safety net if that was the only possible way I could have got a dip....so I count this as a victory within a victory...victory#1 because I'm quit as hell on this Day 52 and victory#2 I'm thinking I'm not as dependent on the SM as I thought I was....
It really does take our brains a long time to adjust to life without nicotine and the delivery system(s) that we used. I'm almost 2 years quit and sometimes my brain still tries to tell me that I need some sort of fix. For me the daily promise here is crucial to maintain my quit.

My advice is to keep posting roll every day and keep this journal going. I think all of us benefit when someone shares a victory here. :)

Offline Nate1974

• Quitter
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 11:42:00 PM »
Dave - hang in there. I'm at day 60 and today was my worst yet. Today I realized I'm addicted to nicotine...my physical withdrawals are intense. It's a day by day struggle. Your not alone in the fight against chewie...

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
Every day your quit is a victory my friend! ODAAT that's the way, ask anyone at day 100, 300, 500 or 5000 they will tell you same thing because it works! Keep doing what your doing, it obviously works. Damn proud to be quitting with you today!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline David S

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »

Offline David S

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »

Offline David S

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »

Offline David S

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »

Offline David S

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 02:04:00 PM »

Offline Bulldog0311

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 12/02/13
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
Hi David. I read your intro. I understand a lot of your feelings. I think we all do. I definitely used the intro page as a journal. I just went back and read it after 3 years. I've forgotten a lot of those things. I'm glad I put them down because I don't ever want to forget. I highly recommend you do it.
It was really hard to accept that I was an addict. It was embarrassing to realize, as you described, living your life around that next chew. I cannot tell you what a wonderful feeling it is to forget about it. You have to live this one day at a time and you have to stay vigilant every day but there does come a day when you turn around and realize you haven't thought about chew in days. It's incredible to be off the leash man. You don't even realize how bad it was until you get loose. I couldn't have done it without what I learned here.
You stick to items stay strong. It gets easier. It's gets better.
One thing that Really helped on the bad days was phone numbers. Every once in a while one of my quit group buddies would text me...just checking in. One time Sand Fleas texted me to check on me and I was in the parking lot of a 7-11 fighting it hard. After his text I drove away still quit. Get those numbers man. Seems weird at first but they are a life line.

Offline David S

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »