Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 4484 times)

Offline david.m

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-07-20
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Introduction
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
Day 35

5 weeks.

Had a great weekend at Cooperstown! At first, it felt weird to play without dip... like something was missing... but that was just a mental blip. Shook it off, loaded my mouth with seeds, and had a day. It felt great. My friends were super supportive. I can't wait to stand at the plate and take a pic with my KTC chip next year!
If you settle for nothing now, you'll settle for nothing later.
If you don't take action now, you won't take action later.

07.20.2014 - quit day
07.21.2014 - one day
10.28.2014 - H.O.F
02.05.2015 - 2nd Floor
05.16.2015 - 3rd Floor
07.20.2015 - one year
08.24.2015 - 4th Floor

Offline FMBM707

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-05-06
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
Quote from: bigreddude44
Quote from: david.m
Day 26

Some interesting research:

on Nicotine as a dopamine releasing drug, ala heroin and other opiates:

"Nicotine and opiates are very different drugs, but the endpoint, with respect to the control of dopamine signaling, is almost identical. It demonstrates the seriousness of tobacco addiction, equating its grip on the individual to that of heroin. It reinforces the fact that these addictions are very physiological in nature and that breaking away from the habit is certainly more than just mind over matter."- Daniel McGehee, University of Chicago Medical Center."The 10 Hardest Drugs to Kick"
- by Jacqueline Detwiler

The chemical makeup of drugs guarantee that certain drugs are more addictive than others. The hardest ones to kick actually train your brain to crave them. A team of researchers led by professor David Nutt of London's Imperial College recently set out to determine which drugs were most harmful based on their addictive properties. Dutch scientists replicated the London study and devised a "dependency rating" that measured addictive potency of the biggest drugs out there on a precisely calibrated scale of 0-to-3.
1. Heroin - 2.89
2. Crack Cocaine - 2.82
3. Nicotine - 2.82 (tied with Crack for second "most addictive and hardest to kick" drug!!!)
4. Methadone - 2.68
5. Crystal Meth - 2.24
6. Alcohol - 2.13
7. Cocaine - 2.13
8. Amphetamines - 1.95
9. Benzodiazepines - 1.89
10. GHB - 1.71

on the first 100 days:

"There is growing evidence that on average, it takes about 90 days for the brain to break free of the immediate effects of the drug and reset itself. Researchers at Yale University call this 90-to-100 day period the 'sleeper effect,' a time during which the brain's proper... functions gradually recover."- Tony O'Neill, in his article, "The 100-Day Hangover""Whatever substance you're detoxing from, there's always an attachment. We're talking about people who are cutting off something that has started to feel as vital to them as the air they breathe. So you inevitably go through this painful period of wrenching yourself away from it, and now you're feeling lousy. It's pretty common for many recovering addicts to ask, 'Is this the reward I get for getting clean?' Most people are led to believe that once they stop using, their life will start to get better, when in reality this next period can really suck. But it gets better."- Dr. Arnold Washton, author of Willpower is Not Enough: Recovering From Addictions of Every Kind on not replacing nicotine-addiction with other dopamine-releasing-addictions:

"If you stop using your drug of choice but continue to use alcohol or another drug, you're saying that you don't want to learn new coping skills and that you don't want to change your life. You're saying that you want to continue to rely on drugs or alcohol to escape, relax, and reward yourself. But if you don't learn those new skills, then you won't have changed, and your addiction will catch up with you all over again.- www.AddictionsAndRecovery.orgI read another article (can't find it now to post the quotes) that essentially explained that "addicts are addicts." Meaning, after nicotine has left the body, our cravings are not really cravings for nicotine... they're cravings for dopamine. After years of nicotine use we've created extra "gates" in our brain through which the excess amount of dopamine was able to get to the brain. Now that we've stopped using, those "gates" are huuuungry. We get normal-sized shots of dopamine when we eat, have sex, exercise, complete tasks, etc... but we may also find our cravings pop up soon after (like the post-meal crave)... that's because the brain is used to getting bigger drops of dopamine at a time... so the natural ways we produce it aren't equal to the unnatural/drug-induced ways. So it wants more. The brain doesn't know (or care) what source is feeding it the excessive amounts of dopamine it's used to. So, often nicotine quitters will transition to another addiction - usually alcohol - and they're not actually breaking addiction at all, only shifting it to a new dopamine-source. The article advised steering clear of all drugs/alcohol during the first 100 days of nicotine-quitting so that the brain has time to recover and re-learn proper balance.
Thanks for posting this! This is great information! I'm going to repost this to my intro because I want to remember it!
I'm going to do the same. Great stuff David! Glad to be quit with you!

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
Quote from: Tuco's
Just reading your last few entries now. Good stuff, man. The addiction/behavioral science info you posted is money. I love having data points like that to help me put things into perspective. Addiction is not some sort of nebulous abstraction that we can't explain. It's clinical and therefor something we can control.

You've got just the right mindset heading into your big weekend. Just as those blurbs you posted pointed out, your brain is still rewiring how to do things without interference from nicotine. Hitting the ballfield sounds like a big part of that process for you. The smart money says you're going to crush it this weekend. Reach out at any point if you need some support.
Knowledge and awareness you have. Essential they are. Quit is strong in this one.

Have some digits in the phone just in case.

Offline Tuco

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 7/27/2014
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
Just reading your last few entries now. Good stuff, man. The addiction/behavioral science info you posted is money. I love having data points like that to help me put things into perspective. Addiction is not some sort of nebulous abstraction that we can't explain. It's clinical and therefor something we can control.

You've got just the right mindset heading into your big weekend. Just as those blurbs you posted pointed out, your brain is still rewiring how to do things without interference from nicotine. Hitting the ballfield sounds like a big part of that process for you. The smart money says you're going to crush it this weekend. Reach out at any point if you need some support.

Offline david.m

• Quitter
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
Day 32

In the eye of the storm right now. All is peaceful. No real cravings. Hardly a thought most of the day. I see from some others' posts that it's not always going to be this way. But I'm enjoying it while it is.

Playing in a baseball tournament at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown tomorrow. I have been fearful of this looming ahead of me - afraid that it will be a huge test of my quit. But I feel strong. I'll have my seeds with me - and even some fake stuff if I need it. Actually, it's perfect that it comes during a wave of strength.

07.20.2014 - quit day
07.21.2014 - one day
10.28.2014 - H.O.F
02.05.2015 - 2nd Floor
05.16.2015 - 3rd Floor
07.20.2015 - one year
08.24.2015 - 4th Floor

Offline bigreddude44

• Quitter
    • Runks.com
  • Quit Date: 2014-07-24
  • Interests: hunting, bowhunting, outdoors, football -Dallas Cowboys, Texas Tech Red Raiders, HSU Cowboys, working out, and QUITTING!
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
Day 26

"Nicotine and opiates are very different drugs, but the endpoint, with respect to the control of dopamine signaling, is almost identical. It demonstrates the seriousness of tobacco addiction, equating its grip on the individual to that of heroin. It reinforces the fact that these addictions are very physiological in nature and that breaking away from the habit is certainly more than just mind over matter."- Daniel McGehee, University of Chicago Medical Center."The 10 Hardest Drugs to Kick"
- by Jacqueline Detwiler

The chemical makeup of drugs guarantee that certain drugs are more addictive than others. The hardest ones to kick actually train your brain to crave them. A team of researchers led by professor David Nutt of London's Imperial College recently set out to determine which drugs were most harmful based on their addictive properties. Dutch scientists replicated the London study and devised a "dependency rating" that measured addictive potency of the biggest drugs out there on a precisely calibrated scale of 0-to-3.
1. Heroin - 2.89
2. Crack Cocaine - 2.82
3. Nicotine - 2.82 (tied with Crack for second "most addictive and hardest to kick" drug!!!)
4. Methadone - 2.68
5. Crystal Meth - 2.24
6. Alcohol - 2.13
7. Cocaine - 2.13
8. Amphetamines - 1.95
10. GHB - 1.71

on the first 100 days:

"There is growing evidence that on average, it takes about 90 days for the brain to break free of the immediate effects of the drug and reset itself. Researchers at Yale University call this 90-to-100 day period the 'sleeper effect,' a time during which the brain's proper... functions gradually recover."- Tony O'Neill, in his article, "The 100-Day Hangover""Whatever substance you're detoxing from, there's always an attachment. We're talking about people who are cutting off something that has started to feel as vital to them as the air they breathe. So you inevitably go through this painful period of wrenching yourself away from it, and now you're feeling lousy. It's pretty common for many recovering addicts to ask, 'Is this the reward I get for getting clean?' Most people are led to believe that once they stop using, their life will start to get better, when in reality this next period can really suck. But it gets better."- Dr. Arnold Washton, author of Willpower is Not Enough: Recovering From Addictions of Every Kind on not replacing nicotine-addiction with other dopamine-releasing-addictions:

"If you stop using your drug of choice but continue to use alcohol or another drug, you're saying that you don't want to learn new coping skills and that you don't want to change your life. You're saying that you want to continue to rely on drugs or alcohol to escape, relax, and reward yourself. But if you don't learn those new skills, then you won't have changed, and your addiction will catch up with you all over again.- www.AddictionsAndRecovery.orgI read another article (can't find it now to post the quotes) that essentially explained that "addicts are addicts." Meaning, after nicotine has left the body, our cravings are not really cravings for nicotine... they're cravings for dopamine. After years of nicotine use we've created extra "gates" in our brain through which the excess amount of dopamine was able to get to the brain. Now that we've stopped using, those "gates" are huuuungry. We get normal-sized shots of dopamine when we eat, have sex, exercise, complete tasks, etc... but we may also find our cravings pop up soon after (like the post-meal crave)... that's because the brain is used to getting bigger drops of dopamine at a time... so the natural ways we produce it aren't equal to the unnatural/drug-induced ways. So it wants more. The brain doesn't know (or care) what source is feeding it the excessive amounts of dopamine it's used to. So, often nicotine quitters will transition to another addiction - usually alcohol - and they're not actually breaking addiction at all, only shifting it to a new dopamine-source. The article advised steering clear of all drugs/alcohol during the first 100 days of nicotine-quitting so that the brain has time to recover and re-learn proper balance.
Thanks for posting this! This is great information! I'm going to repost this to my intro because I want to remember it!
Quit date: July 24,2014
HOF date: October 31, 2014
HOF speech: You're an idiot if you still dip.

my intro

"When I am weak, He is strong!" II Corinthians 12:10

Offline david.m

• Quitter
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
Day 26

- by Jacqueline Detwiler

1. Heroin - 2.89
2. Crack Cocaine - 2.82
4. Methadone - 2.68
5. Crystal Meth - 2.24
6. Alcohol - 2.13
7. Cocaine - 2.13
8. Amphetamines - 1.95
10. GHB - 1.71

on the first 100 days:

07.20.2014 - quit day
07.21.2014 - one day
10.28.2014 - H.O.F
02.05.2015 - 2nd Floor
05.16.2015 - 3rd Floor
07.20.2015 - one year
08.24.2015 - 4th Floor

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2014, 06:56:00 AM »
Quote from: B-loMatt
David, you are on a rollercoaster ride for the next few weeks/months, it will be easy then tough again on and on... That's why we quit ODAAT, but there will come a time where quitting is easy. For me it started somewhere between 2nd and 3rd floor. No cravings no urges no wish whatsoever to ever go back to the poison... You will get there too, just keep adding the days. Fight like your life depends on staying quit. It won't be hellish forever.
Matt here is right on.

Enjoy the times when you are feeling good, as we should celebrate the freedom. But use these times to also keep learning about what we need to do when that rollercoaster drops....this up time is when we need to make those connections, reach out to say a word or two to others.

Doing great, just keep it up....

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
David, you are on a rollercoaster ride for the next few weeks/months, it will be easy then tough again on and on... That's why we quit ODAAT, but there will come a time where quitting is easy. For me it started somewhere between 2nd and 3rd floor. No cravings no urges no wish whatsoever to ever go back to the poison... You will get there too, just keep adding the days. Fight like your life depends on staying quit. It won't be hellish forever.

Offline david.m

• Quitter
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Day 25

¼ of the way to the HOF.

Cravings still hitting - but they're less frequent and shorter in length.

Yesterday, two of the times they hit I was in situations I couldn't have dipped anyway. In similar moments (before I quit), I would tell nicotine, "I'll get to you later", yesterday I told her, "I won't want you later."

The freedom is great. The feeling of power over something so powerful is even better. I highly recommend quitting addictions. It's a rush!

07.20.2014 - quit day
07.21.2014 - one day
10.28.2014 - H.O.F
02.05.2015 - 2nd Floor
05.16.2015 - 3rd Floor
07.20.2015 - one year
08.24.2015 - 4th Floor

Offline david.m

• Quitter
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Day 24

At 1:55pm today, I will be at 24 days full days (576 hours) of quit.

It takes 10,000 hours of practice to be considered an "master" at something. So that's... 416 days and 18 hours.

Mark it: I will become a Master of Quit on September 27, 2015 at 7:55am.

07.20.2014 - quit day
07.21.2014 - one day
10.28.2014 - H.O.F
02.05.2015 - 2nd Floor
05.16.2015 - 3rd Floor
07.20.2015 - one year
08.24.2015 - 4th Floor

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Quote from: slug.go
Day 22

This is the longest I have gone without nicotine in the past 16 years! 21 days and 20 hours. 524 total hours.

The wave of cravings I was feeling last week was compounded by fear that the pain wasn't ever going to let up. But the encouragement I received last week from my quit group and some OTQs - letting me know, "it does get easier" - gave me a huge psychological edge on this Quit. Removing the fear took power away from the cravings. Something switched in my mind. Quitting went from something I'm doing... to something I did. Or, really, something I am. I did quit using nicotine. I am a nicotine quitter. I'm not trying to quit anymore - I'm staying quit, ODAAT.

This weekend was a huge milestone! I chose my quit date as I did because I knew had two Sundays in a row where I didn't have to preach. (Actually, I intentionally scheduled two guests speakers in a row, because I figured I'd need at least two weeks off if I was going to stay quit.) I still had to go into the office, tasks to complete, meetings to run, classes to teach, etc. But I can do all of that in my sleep. Sermon writing (for me) takes massive amounts of time, focus, spiritual energy, and creativity. All previous aborted-quits have been due to the panic of having a sermon to complete but the lack of focus to do it - because of the quit.

So, this Sunday was the first sermon I had to preach since the quit began. (Which might've added to the stress and fear that those day 14-17 cravings were causing me last week.) I did it. It was the first sermon I've written sans nicotine in 8 years! I felt good about it. It wasn't quite as honed as I would've liked, but - based on response and feedback - it was effective. (Which is all the work of God's Spirit - using my best efforts for His purposes; I'm just glad I was able to give him something to work with.)

Accumulated hours and days aside... getting over that hurdle is the furthest I've ever gone in my quit attempts before. It feels great!
I would have really enjoyed that sermon...can you PM it to me?
Yeah, I'd like to read that too. Congrats on freeing yourself. I imagine you should find some good inspiration from what you are accomplishing.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline slug.go

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 1/23/14
  • Interests: Family, motorcycles, all sports, hunting, fishing, guns
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »
Day 22

This is the longest I have gone without nicotine in the past 16 years! 21 days and 20 hours. 524 total hours.

The wave of cravings I was feeling last week was compounded by fear that the pain wasn't ever going to let up. But the encouragement I received last week from my quit group and some OTQs - letting me know, "it does get easier" - gave me a huge psychological edge on this Quit. Removing the fear took power away from the cravings. Something switched in my mind. Quitting went from something I'm doing... to something I did. Or, really, something I am. I did quit using nicotine. I am a nicotine quitter. I'm not trying to quit anymore - I'm staying quit, ODAAT.

This weekend was a huge milestone! I chose my quit date as I did because I knew had two Sundays in a row where I didn't have to preach. (Actually, I intentionally scheduled two guests speakers in a row, because I figured I'd need at least two weeks off if I was going to stay quit.) I still had to go into the office, tasks to complete, meetings to run, classes to teach, etc. But I can do all of that in my sleep. Sermon writing (for me) takes massive amounts of time, focus, spiritual energy, and creativity. All previous aborted-quits have been due to the panic of having a sermon to complete but the lack of focus to do it - because of the quit.

So, this Sunday was the first sermon I had to preach since the quit began. (Which might've added to the stress and fear that those day 14-17 cravings were causing me last week.) I did it. It was the first sermon I've written sans nicotine in 8 years! I felt good about it. It wasn't quite as honed as I would've liked, but - based on response and feedback - it was effective. (Which is all the work of God's Spirit - using my best efforts for His purposes; I'm just glad I was able to give him something to work with.)

Accumulated hours and days aside... getting over that hurdle is the furthest I've ever gone in my quit attempts before. It feels great!
I would have really enjoyed that sermon...can you PM it to me?
Quit since 1/23/14

Offline david.m

• Quitter
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
Day 22

07.20.2014 - quit day
07.21.2014 - one day
10.28.2014 - H.O.F
02.05.2015 - 2nd Floor
05.16.2015 - 3rd Floor
07.20.2015 - one year
08.24.2015 - 4th Floor

Offline Air Force ADDICT

• Eternal Quitters
  • Quit Pro
  • Interests: Wife & kids, mountian biking/cycling, running, surfing/body surfing... Pretty much anything outdoors.
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
A worthy battle indeed! I quit w/ you bro!