Author Topic: New Member  (Read 5580 times)

Offline Ron_Cross

• Quitter
  • I am quit
  • Quit Date: 8/30/2013
  • Interests: Started my own CPA firm!
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: New Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
Quote from: JayDubya
Quote from: jlud007
To clarify...I have had absolutely ZERO nicotine in my body since I spit out my last dip at 10:30 PM, Tuesday night on Sept 10, 2013.  I began counting Sept 11, 2013 as my quit date.  I still had one dip remaining and I emptied it out in the toilet first thing that morning. 

I am not interested in a gradual cessation program at all.  I think that drags it out and makes it worse. 

With the nic gum in my pocket and not using it whatsoever, it has been my final  'Finger'  to the nicotine.

I have had a TON of stressful things pressing on me outside of quitting, but I didn't let that deter me either...as in serious, life altering things...If I could stop using nicotine with those things going on, and also not use nicotine while having easy access to nic gum in my pocket, then my mindset and actions are in the right place.  My mom tried to discourage me from quitting right now, as well as a couple close friends.  (None of them have a nicotine addiction or dependency).
I don't want to discourage you man.... but you still sound like someone who hasn't quite jumped in with both feet. I'm not sure what else to say....it's pretty well laid out by the quitters who have given you advice already.
All in. Just had to survive without nicotine while having easy access. If I couldn't cold turkey it with easy access then I couldn't have done cold turkey at all. That is just me and the way my quirky mind works. If my addict mind was in control, I would have caved in already. Plenty of excuses I could use to justify it in my mind....plenty of opportunity too, but it is a breakthrough for me to not have used the nic gum.
Some oral cancer pics

Just something to think about.

Offline JayDubya

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2013-09-11
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
To clarify...I have had absolutely ZERO nicotine in my body since I spit out my last dip at 10:30 PM, Tuesday night on Sept 10, 2013.  I began counting Sept 11, 2013 as my quit date.  I still had one dip remaining and I emptied it out in the toilet first thing that morning. 

I am not interested in a gradual cessation program at all.  I think that drags it out and makes it worse. 

With the nic gum in my pocket and not using it whatsoever, it has been my final  'Finger'  to the nicotine.

I have had a TON of stressful things pressing on me outside of quitting, but I didn't let that deter me either...as in serious, life altering things...If I could stop using nicotine with those things going on, and also not use nicotine while having easy access to nic gum in my pocket, then my mindset and actions are in the right place.  My mom tried to discourage me from quitting right now, as well as a couple close friends.  (None of them have a nicotine addiction or dependency).
I don't want to discourage you man.... but you still sound like someone who hasn't quite jumped in with both feet. I'm not sure what else to say....it's pretty well laid out by the quitters who have given you advice already.
All in. Just had to survive without nicotine while having easy access. If I couldn't cold turkey it with easy access then I couldn't have done cold turkey at all. That is just me and the way my quirky mind works. If my addict mind was in control, I would have caved in already. Plenty of excuses I could use to justify it in my mind....plenty of opportunity too, but it is a breakthrough for me to not have used the nic gum.

Offline Ron_Cross

• Quitter
  • I am quit
  • Quit Date: 8/30/2013
  • Interests: Started my own CPA firm!
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »

Fuck stress. You need to make a adult decision. Quit or no quit. There is no pussy footing around with nicotine. You know what happens with Nicotine gum? Your $15/week addiction turns into a $40/week addiction. First it is gum, then it's lozonges, then it's patches. It fucking doesn't work. Drink the KTC koolaid. I want to call you a brother and welcome you with open arms but you must now make a decision. Get rid of the gum and post roll with us or don't.

Offline CaliforniaSlim

• Quitter
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
To clarify...I have had absolutely ZERO nicotine in my body since I spit out my last dip at 10:30 PM, Tuesday night on Sept 10, 2013. I began counting Sept 11, 2013 as my quit date. I still had one dip remaining and I emptied it out in the toilet first thing that morning.

I am not interested in a gradual cessation program at all. I think that drags it out and makes it worse.

With the nic gum in my pocket and not using it whatsoever, it has been my final 'Finger' to the nicotine.

I have had a TON of stressful things pressing on me outside of quitting, but I didn't let that deter me either...as in serious, life altering things...If I could stop using nicotine with those things going on, and also not use nicotine while having easy access to nic gum in my pocket, then my mindset and actions are in the right place. My mom tried to discourage me from quitting right now, as well as a couple close friends. (None of them have a nicotine addiction or dependency).
JLud007 is on point. You aren't seeing it.
You have a bunch of reasons why you need nic in your pocket, and why your own special way is better. That isn't you, that is the nicbitch talking, but you haven't been around here long enough to hear her voice yet. IT will come.
In the meantime, know this. . We are all quit because we took the advice of those that came before us on KTC. Once we truly understood it, we started passing it on ourselves.
This site has the path to quit. IF you walk it, you will be quit. IF you believe your own addict brain knows better, you probably won't be quit long.
The path... follow the path. it is well worn by 15000 KTC member and it leads directly to Quitsville.
I promise you that you are less likely to use nicotine if you have to make a conscious decision to go to the store and buy it that if you just have to reach in your pocket.
THe KTC way works... why not just trust it for a while. PM me if you need a number

Offline Jlud007

• Quitter
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
To clarify...I have had absolutely ZERO nicotine in my body since I spit out my last dip at 10:30 PM, Tuesday night on Sept 10, 2013. I began counting Sept 11, 2013 as my quit date. I still had one dip remaining and I emptied it out in the toilet first thing that morning.

I am not interested in a gradual cessation program at all. I think that drags it out and makes it worse.

With the nic gum in my pocket and not using it whatsoever, it has been my final 'Finger' to the nicotine.

I have had a TON of stressful things pressing on me outside of quitting, but I didn't let that deter me either...as in serious, life altering things...If I could stop using nicotine with those things going on, and also not use nicotine while having easy access to nic gum in my pocket, then my mindset and actions are in the right place. My mom tried to discourage me from quitting right now, as well as a couple close friends. (None of them have a nicotine addiction or dependency).

Offline JayDubya

• Quitter
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »

Offline Jlud007

• Quitter
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Quote from: billybill3934
Stress isnt a reason to start...but I was discouraged from trying to quit right now with all the things going on. I said NOPE...and quit anyway. Ive been working my way through this one day at a time. I have kept nic gum in my pocket the entire time. I even keep my breath mints and my trident gum in the same pocket as my nic gum. I have to choose not to use the nic gum every time. I  am forcing myself to choose an alternative to nic. So far it is working. Im hoping to build confidence, not arrogance. At times it has made my cravings even more intense knowing that I could reach in my pocket and satisfy it--somewhat. I just felt like I needed to do it this way so that if I was able to make it to the 3rd day and beyond with no nicotine, then I could prove to myself that I dont need to satisfy a craving at any point, especially if I can survive the days that the cravings are most intense. Hope all that makes sense?!
Well Jaydubya I commend you on taking the step into freedom. I don't know about the whole nic gum thing, personally I wouldn't quit with that temptation right there. I'm proud of you for being strong enough to resist but I think you should ditch it. You have joined a brotherhood here and all the resources you need to quit are right here at your fingertips. I am sending you a message with my number if you ever need anything.

Bill
Thanks. I don't plan on keeping the nic gum around long at all. It was mainly for the first few days.

I've used nic gum in the past and know that I can use it without dipping, but that still puts me buying expensive ass gum that has me addicted to the nicotine in it. I don't want to be addicted to the gum either. I want to be nicotine FREE. Period.

I counted up today that it has been 10 years since I have been nicotine free. The last time I went without nicotine, I was 28 years old, and that lasted for around 5 months, give or take. Since that time, I've had nicotine in my body whether through dipping, smoking a cig, or chewing gum. I'm looking forward to being nicotine free.
Ok.... I don't wanna be the asshat here but I don't think your catching on yet Jay. You posted roll with December, so you are Nicotine free already? If you aren't then you need to post Day 1 not 3. If you are Nic free great, quit jerking off about the gum, throw it out and start guzzling some KTC Kool-Aid.

Your getting some great advice thrown at you but I don't see you buying in yet.

Offline JayDubya

• Quitter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Stress isnt a reason to start...but I was discouraged from trying to quit right now with all the things going on. I said NOPE...and quit anyway. Ive been working my way through this one day at a time. I have kept nic gum in my pocket the entire time. I even keep my breath mints and my trident gum in the same pocket as my nic gum. I have to choose not to use the nic gum every time. I  am forcing myself to choose an alternative to nic. So far it is working. Im hoping to build confidence, not arrogance. At times it has made my cravings even more intense knowing that I could reach in my pocket and satisfy it--somewhat. I just felt like I needed to do it this way so that if I was able to make it to the 3rd day and beyond with no nicotine, then I could prove to myself that I dont need to satisfy a craving at any point, especially if I can survive the days that the cravings are most intense. Hope all that makes sense?!
Well Jaydubya I commend you on taking the step into freedom. I don't know about the whole nic gum thing, personally I wouldn't quit with that temptation right there. I'm proud of you for being strong enough to resist but I think you should ditch it. You have joined a brotherhood here and all the resources you need to quit are right here at your fingertips. I am sending you a message with my number if you ever need anything.

Bill
Thanks. I don't plan on keeping the nic gum around long at all. It was mainly for the first few days.

I've used nic gum in the past and know that I can use it without dipping, but that still puts me buying expensive ass gum that has me addicted to the nicotine in it. I don't want to be addicted to the gum either. I want to be nicotine FREE. Period.

I counted up today that it has been 10 years since I have been nicotine free. The last time I went without nicotine, I was 28 years old, and that lasted for around 5 months, give or take. Since that time, I've had nicotine in my body whether through dipping, smoking a cig, or chewing gum. I'm looking forward to being nicotine free.

Offline CaliforniaSlim

• Quitter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »

Bill
Ya, toss the nic gum. You wouldn't carry around the can of skoal would you? it is just a bad idea to have nic in your pocket. Nic is the drug, and the addict part of us will try to find any way to convince us to get it in our system. If it has the chance to tell you to use nic to stop nic, it will. And even though it seems ludicrous, we will believe it. Heck, you already halfway do believe it or you wouldn't have it with you.
All of us have managed, you can too.
You've got this brother.

Offline Jlud007

• Quitter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
Stress isnt a reason to start...but I was discouraged from trying to quit right now with all the things going on. I said NOPE...and quit anyway. Ive been working my way through this one day at a time. I have kept nic gum in my pocket the entire time. I even keep my breath mints and my trident gum in the same pocket as my nic gum. I have to choose not to use the nic gum every time. I am forcing myself to choose an alternative to nic. So far it is working. Im hoping to build confidence, not arrogance. At times it has made my cravings even more intense knowing that I could reach in my pocket and satisfy it--somewhat. I just felt like I needed to do it this way so that if I was able to make it to the 3rd day and beyond with no nicotine, then I could prove to myself that I dont need to satisfy a craving at any point, especially if I can survive the days that the cravings are most intense. Hope all that makes sense?!
I see you mentioned the nicotine gum again, this is a 100% nicotine free site. Posting roll means you are 100% quit of nicotine in ANY form. That's great if you have not used it but kindly THROW THAT SHIT OUT IMMEDIETELY!

We go or go home here Jay, all in, no excuses.

Offline billybill3934

• Quitter
  • Interests: My wife and 2 young children keep me happy and busy most of the time but when I get a spare moment you can catch me in a historic area or park metal detecting or up on the river sluicing for some gold or with a fishing pole in my hand. I also like hunting, hiking, and anything else exciting or outdoors. I like all sports and recently got into volleyball.
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
Stress isnt a reason to start...but I was discouraged from trying to quit right now with all the things going on. I said NOPE...and quit anyway. Ive been working my way through this one day at a time. I have kept nic gum in my pocket the entire time. I even keep my breath mints and my trident gum in the same pocket as my nic gum. I have to choose not to use the nic gum every time. I am forcing myself to choose an alternative to nic. So far it is working. Im hoping to build confidence, not arrogance. At times it has made my cravings even more intense knowing that I could reach in my pocket and satisfy it--somewhat. I just felt like I needed to do it this way so that if I was able to make it to the 3rd day and beyond with no nicotine, then I could prove to myself that I dont need to satisfy a craving at any point, especially if I can survive the days that the cravings are most intense. Hope all that makes sense?!

Bill
"I quit today until tomorrow then quit again"
29MAY2013-QUIT!
WIN THE DAY
My HOF Speech
HOF:05SEP2013
My Intro

Offline JayDubya

• Quitter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »

Offline MJSCHWARTZ

• Quitter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
Thanks, guys/gals! I will use the numbers until I can get a feel for the roll call. I haven't used any of the nicotine gum.

I'm not trying to be funny or crass, but I don't ever remember having this much gas before when I stopped using nicotine. This is like something out of a freaking ghost story!! lol Plus I've been unusually craving V8 juice. I've always liked it, but started craving it the morning I quit. I've been through 152 ounces/4.75 quarts of V8 in the last 24 hours or less.

While these physical withdrawal symptoms are running their course, I'm really thinking and planning on the future psychological withdrawals, as that's been my Achilles heel in the past, whether it was anger, hurt, disappointment, etc. I'm trying to figure out how to be a healthier "me" on the inside, so I can abstain from nicotine now and in the future.
I had so much gas my wife had to start sleeping in the guest bedroom, I my secretary kept my office door closed!!! Hang in there it gets better!!

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Quote from: Skoal
I truly appreciate all of your replies!  I will return to the favor to another person/new member when/as I can. 

I will be going back home to my parents' house this weekend.  My dad dips but he and I won't hang around that much.  Almost none of my friends dip or smoke.  I won't be around my dipping friend this weekend at all.

For me, getting through this week with all the other mountainous stressful events going on, loneliness, boredom, etc....I feel like this weekend and being around my friends and other people will help the cravings pass more gently.  There are some undercurrents that I have not aired out here in my post...when I say a mountain of stress...that's exactly what I mean.  I don't wish to go into details on such a public forum but I'll be glad to get away for a few days and get back home.  Whew. 

This does not involve me, but let's just say that I had an eye-opening experience that taught me "Addiction is just that--addiction; and, it doesn't matter what substance we choose to fill that need because it is still addiction."  I began questioning how am I different that someone addicted to ___________(fill in the blank).  My drug of choice is nicotine, while someone else's may be blah. Being an addict how am I any different than an addict for whatever their drug of choice is.  That pissed me off to no end.  Although, I wont get in a legal trouble for nicotine, my body functions the same as someone that is addicted to an illegal/unlawful substance, or a substance they lawfully obtain but unlawfully use.
Weekends can be rough at first, be sure to get as many numbers into your phone as possible. Stay close to the site and read, read, read other peoples intro threads and hall of fame speeches.
stress isnt a good enough reason to cave... stay the course Jaydub
Jaydub,

I hear you about the high stress level. But think about disfiguring jaw surgery, tounge/throat removal and feeding tubes. Think about what you might say to those who love your the most as you lay in your hospital bed and succumb to the effects of cancer. I mean, does that tend to increase or decrease your stress level?

NICOTINE will not make ANYTHING in your life better. It can only make your life exponetially worse.

YOU have made a great choice, Jaydub!!! Let's find an alternative way to deal with stress...exercise, reading, live chat, jerking off (or not...whatever...forget I mentioned that last thing).

Make sure your mindset is right...you're not quitting forever. Nobody is quitting forever. All you are doing is getting through one day nic free. Forget about tomorrow, next week, next month, or whatever. Just focus on today. Anybody can get through one day, right? That is all we ask...post roll and give your word that you won't dip today. We'll worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

YOU CAN DO THIS, BROTHER!!! YOU CAN STAY QUIT!!!

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
I truly appreciate all of your replies!  I will return to the favor to another person/new member when/as I can. 

I will be going back home to my parents' house this weekend.  My dad dips but he and I won't hang around that much.  Almost none of my friends dip or smoke.  I won't be around my dipping friend this weekend at all.

For me, getting through this week with all the other mountainous stressful events going on, loneliness, boredom, etc....I feel like this weekend and being around my friends and other people will help the cravings pass more gently.  There are some undercurrents that I have not aired out here in my post...when I say a mountain of stress...that's exactly what I mean.  I don't wish to go into details on such a public forum but I'll be glad to get away for a few days and get back home.  Whew. 

This does not involve me, but let's just say that I had an eye-opening experience that taught me "Addiction is just that--addiction; and, it doesn't matter what substance we choose to fill that need because it is still addiction."  I began questioning how am I different that someone addicted to ___________(fill in the blank).  My drug of choice is nicotine, while someone else's may be blah. Being an addict how am I any different than an addict for whatever their drug of choice is.  That pissed me off to no end.  Although, I wont get in a legal trouble for nicotine, my body functions the same as someone that is addicted to an illegal/unlawful substance, or a substance they lawfully obtain but unlawfully use.
Weekends can be rough at first, be sure to get as many numbers into your phone as possible. Stay close to the site and read, read, read other peoples intro threads and hall of fame speeches.
stress isnt a good enough reason to cave... stay the course Jaydub
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."