Author Topic: Time to Make a Change  (Read 5173 times)

Offline dgreak

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Time to Make a Change
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
I have kind of let this thread get dusty so I thought I would clean it off with an update. Man these have been the best few days I have had in a long time. I know I'm just 12 days in but this time it has been real different. I honestly have not had any cravings that seem like they are too much, I have not once been tempted to go grab a can. I have drank and hung out with my dipping buddies this weekend without any problems, and I thought that would be impossible. And, honestly I am not on edge near as much without it as I have been with it. The fog lifted and things look bright. There are only 2 things I am doing different this time than the last time, a few years back, I am using KTC and I really want to quit.

This site works, and I proud to say that I am part of it. I appreciate the guys that have reached out, and I can't wait on a daily basis to post roll.

Quit on August 2013

Offline nebraskadad58

• Quitter
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
Quote from: Erussell
Quote from: dgreak
Erussell you better get "chance" out of your vocabulary when you talk about your quit before you get crucified (just kidding).  I just went back and read some of the intros and started with yours, and I have to say you got balls if you have your FIL in your house and dipping while you stay quit.  I've been avoiding my friends that do, and I probably will for the next few weeks.  I don't feel tempted, but I don't want to be somewhere I can be tempted.  You my friend are tougher than nails, and I have no doubt you got this whipped.  See you at the end in August!
Yea Ive seen what can happen if you use sheepish words like maybe, try, hope, or chance. LMFAO I,m just glad i saw before all you cats! Ha ha

Its my brother in law that lives with us, he dipps constantly. Not that tough on me though. its when my father in law (who also dipps constantly) visits that is such a bad trigger. Go figure?
An AA brother told me of a guy back home who in the process of dying from dip. he's been at it for 30 years, so far, jaw and lip are gone. they are giving him about 6 months.

We all thought about the proverbial how do we answer questions IF.. Frankly i don't hope I ever have to answer that question. I was using dip for 10 years off and on, and feeling anger, fear, guilt, shame, I am 8 days into this adventure and I am at a point where i can say regardless, i don't want that crap back.
Quit Day - May 6 2013
Sobriety Date: January 6, 1986

Offline omahaflyer

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 3 Jan 2013
  • Interests: fish golf baseball
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Erussell you better get "chance" out of your vocabulary when you talk about your quit before you get crucified (just kidding). I just went back and read some of the intros and started with yours, and I have to say you got balls if you have your FIL in your house and dipping while you stay quit. I've been avoiding my friends that do, and I probably will for the next few weeks. I don't feel tempted, but I don't want to be somewhere I can be tempted. You my friend are tougher than nails, and I have no doubt you got this whipped. See you at the end in August!
Removing those words helps set and maintain the mindset that we are quit, period end of discussion. After the physical withdraws are over the rest is mind over matter. For me it helped to remove the hopeful type words.
Memorial Stadium

Southeast: "In Commemoration of the men of Nebraska who served and fell in the Nation's Wars."
Southwest: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."
Northwest: "Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."
Northeast: "Their Lives they held their country's trust; They kept its faith; They died its heroes."

Offline Erussell

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2013-04-30
  • Interests: Time with daughter. Anything outdoors.
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
Erussell you better get "chance" out of your vocabulary when you talk about your quit before you get crucified (just kidding). I just went back and read some of the intros and started with yours, and I have to say you got balls if you have your FIL in your house and dipping while you stay quit. I've been avoiding my friends that do, and I probably will for the next few weeks. I don't feel tempted, but I don't want to be somewhere I can be tempted. You my friend are tougher than nails, and I have no doubt you got this whipped. See you at the end in August!
Yea Ive seen what can happen if you use sheepish words like maybe, try, hope, or chance. LMFAO I,m just glad i saw before all you cats! Ha ha

Its my brother in law that lives with us, he dipps constantly. Not that tough on me though. its when my father in law (who also dipps constantly) visits that is such a bad trigger. Go figure?
I would rather lose to a cheater than win as a cheater.

Offline dgreak

• Quitter
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »

Offline Erussell

• Quit Pro
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
Quote from: Erussell
There was never a real trigger that made me start again.  I have acid reflux, a minor case, but when it would flare it was painful, and the doctor told me I had to quit snuff, alchohol, and a bunch of other stuff.  Long story short after the medicine started working and I felt better I started dipping again.

I have quit, sorry stopped, several times, but I have never wanted to quit until now. You are correct you can't do this recreationally, that is how I started back a few times.

Wt57--I appreciate all the support you guys are giving me here, and I will do my best to repay all of you in the same way.  I will never be the guy that is posting allot on this board, or being a ton involved, just not my personality, but I will be around.  If I need or support, or see somebody that needs support, I will be the first to act.  So, if you don't see me allot it doesn't mean I don't care, it's just the way I am.
Tks for the insight. Just stay quit man, I plan to b involved as I think it strengthens the chance of my quit. Just post roll continue the promise and reach out if you need help again thanks for letting me in you past. It boils down to do you want to quit or is this another get me through the moment. You can do this for good if you want it. You know acid reflux is dangerous as hell. Quit dude. Quit for good! I quit with you.
Did I say chance???? I meant efficiency! Yea that's right it strengthens the efficiency of my quit.

Offline Erussell

• Quit Pro
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
There was never a real trigger that made me start again. I have acid reflux, a minor case, but when it would flare it was painful, and the doctor told me I had to quit snuff, alchohol, and a bunch of other stuff. Long story short after the medicine started working and I felt better I started dipping again.

I have quit, sorry stopped, several times, but I have never wanted to quit until now. You are correct you can't do this recreationally, that is how I started back a few times.

Wt57--I appreciate all the support you guys are giving me here, and I will do my best to repay all of you in the same way. I will never be the guy that is posting allot on this board, or being a ton involved, just not my personality, but I will be around. If I need or support, or see somebody that needs support, I will be the first to act. So, if you don't see me allot it doesn't mean I don't care, it's just the way I am.
Tks for the insight. Just stay quit man, I plan to b involved as I think it strengthens the chance of my quit. Just post roll continue the promise and reach out if you need help again thanks for letting me in you past. It boils down to do you want to quit or is this another get me through the moment. You can do this for good if you want it. You know acid reflux is dangerous as hell. Quit dude. Quit for good! I quit with you.

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
There was never a real trigger that made me start again. I have acid reflux, a minor case, but when it would flare it was painful, and the doctor told me I had to quit snuff, alchohol, and a bunch of other stuff. Long story short after the medicine started working and I felt better I started dipping again.

Wt57--I appreciate all the support you guys are giving me here, and I will do my best to repay all of you in the same way. I will never be the guy that is posting allot on this board, or being a ton involved, just not my personality, but I will be around. If I need or support, or see somebody that needs support, I will be the first to act. So, if you don't see me allot it doesn't mean I don't care, it's just the way I am.
Great job. One day at a time is all it takes. I believe in you. PM if you need some help. :)

Offline dgreak

• Quitter
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 01:42:00 AM »
I see some real positive quitting here and I support you but as the weeks past without support and activity staying positive and quit becomes difficult.
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline Erussell

• Quit Pro
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Man I have gone as much as 5 months, but I was never ready to quit. That's the difference now, I'm done.
Dgreak what was the trigger(s) that caused you to fail after six months? How often did you quit for such length of time? I only quit one time. It was for over a year. I had no support or education to tell me that I could b a recreational dipper, I. Thought I was superman lmao. That was 8 years ago.

Offline srans

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Fishing and playing the guitar.
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
Quote from: jake
Man I have gone as much as 5 months, but I was never ready to quit. That's the difference now, I'm done.
Damn. Its funny that we have all quit before and failed. Its not till that one time that we KNOW this is it, that it becomes real!
Good job greak. In 25 + years of dipping I never even was able to make it one day,, shit, I don't think I even made it a half day. But the fact is none of us quit until we really want to . I MEAN REALLY WANT TO. Glad to be quit with you greak.
Hof date may 25, 2013
HoF Speech

The poison sucks. I hate it. I hated it this morning, I hated it at noon, I hated it at supper and I hate it tonight. I enjoy hating it so much I'm going to wake up tomorrow and start over hating it. I quit with anyone that wants to hate it with me.

Offline jake frawley

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Interests: I'm married to a beautiful lady. I like to lift weights and run. I play poker and win. I spend as much time riding as I can! I go to work every day and work too many hrs. I'm aggressive! And all of this makes me happy. I'm here to quit the one thing I hate about myself, my addiction to chew. It has ruled me and I wont be controlled anymore!
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Damn. Its funny that we have all quit before and failed. Its not till that one time that we KNOW this is it, that it becomes real!

Offline dgreak

• Quitter
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »

Offline jake frawley

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Interests: I'm married to a beautiful lady. I like to lift weights and run. I play poker and win. I spend as much time riding as I can! I go to work every day and work too many hrs. I'm aggressive! And all of this makes me happy. I'm here to quit the one thing I hate about myself, my addiction to chew. It has ruled me and I wont be controlled anymore!
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
You are the man! Glad I saw you at roll call this morning! Have you ever gone 3 days before?