Author Topic: First post  (Read 8608 times)

Offline J2thaZ

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-06-01
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: First post
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Quote from: Smeds
Quote from: Doc
Just got back from spending the day fishing with my Dad. He's 80 years old, still works delivering mail 6 hours a day and very young for his age. Had a really nice day with him and caught quite a few fish.
My old man has always been a nicotine dabbler. When I was a kid I remember him smoking a pipe for a while and he quit it cold turkey. Then he smoked cigars for a while and quit them cold turkey. After I got out of high school, he began to chew leaf tobacco. He did that for around 15 years and then told me one day that he quit....cold turkey of course about 10-12 years ago. Said that he didn't like the hold it was getting on him. He's always had what seemed to me to be an insane amount of self-control. Something that I did not inherit from him. If he needed to lose weight, he quit eating breakfast. If he wanted to quit chewing, he just did. Meanwhile, I just kept chewing. He did say to me a few years after he quit that it was a lot harder to quit than anything else and he still thought about it a lot.
In 1999 he was diagnosed with a fairly advanced and aggressive form of bladder cancer. Long story short, after a scary year or two, having his urinary bladder removed and a new one made from his bowel, fast forward 15 years and he is cancer free. He just got back from his yearly visit and still a clean bill of health.
As I got in the boat with him today, I stuffed a fist full of seeds in my mouth and told him that I had finally quit chewing...130 days ago. He kind of nonchalantly said, "Oh yeah? I just started chewing again." It was like someone kicked me in the gut. I'm still kind of sick about it. He went on to say that the surgeon that did his bladder surgery said that there is a really great chance that he will never have cancer again. And, that he just has a chew every once in a while. Does that sound like addict logic or what. Now, if anyone can just occasionally have a chew, it is my dad, but I doubt it. He mentioned that the cravings never went away.
Surely, he realized that the doctor said that in regards to the cancer he removed...not in general. I don't know what to think. He's 80 and lived through a horrible ordeal with cancer. He never said anything about me chewing. I'm not sure that I wouldn't do the same thing he is if I had gone through what he did. I wouldn't now, knowing what I have learned in the last 130 days.
I'm all fucked up about this. I don't know what to think or say about it. I'm mad, disappointed, shocked...but at the same time...it's his decision. I think it is so hard for me to hear because of what I know about the addiction. I hate that the bitch is winning with Dad. I hate that, like him, we will always have this fucking addiction to deal with.
I know this is just rambling but it really fucked up my thoughts.
Regardless...I QLF...just wish my old man still was.
Thanks for sharing Doc, tough call for sure. Be thankful for the great day of fishing ... and realize you can't make him quit. You can, however let him know you love him and don't want to lose him to an insidious disease that almost took him out In the past. After that? It's on him. I support you brother, and am sorry for the shit feelings this has brought about. Don't let it affect your quit, stay strong!
Sorry to hear about this Doc. My pops smokes about a pack and a day and my family has tried to intervene with him on a couple of occasions to get him to quit with zero success. It actually almost led to him and my mom splitting up and he couldn't understand why it was such a big deal to everybody else. He'd always say it doesn't affect us it only affects him. That's b.s. on a number of levels but I'll save that for a different post. I think the message is that no matter how much you love somebody, you can't quit for them. This is a bitch of a disease and not everybody wants to put that time/effort into freedom from it. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your dad that with grace he's able to pull himself away yet again.

J2thaZ
Desire. Dedication. Discipline.

"You determine if you are going to make it, not your excuses." - flashman

"those who are truly my brothers know that I will never betray them." - LOOT

"ain't no way I'm going to lie to my Sultans....I'd rather die" - CavMan83

Offline Smeds

• Master of Quit
  • The bluebird can sing, but the crow's got the soul
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
Just got back from spending the day fishing with my Dad. He's 80 years old, still works delivering mail 6 hours a day and very young for his age. Had a really nice day with him and caught quite a few fish.
My old man has always been a nicotine dabbler. When I was a kid I remember him smoking a pipe for a while and he quit it cold turkey. Then he smoked cigars for a while and quit them cold turkey. After I got out of high school, he began to chew leaf tobacco. He did that for around 15 years and then told me one day that he quit....cold turkey of course about 10-12 years ago. Said that he didn't like the hold it was getting on him. He's always had what seemed to me to be an insane amount of self-control. Something that I did not inherit from him. If he needed to lose weight, he quit eating breakfast. If he wanted to quit chewing, he just did. Meanwhile, I just kept chewing. He did say to me a few years after he quit that it was a lot harder to quit than anything else and he still thought about it a lot.
In 1999 he was diagnosed with a fairly advanced and aggressive form of bladder cancer. Long story short, after a scary year or two, having his urinary bladder removed and a new one made from his bowel, fast forward 15 years and he is cancer free. He just got back from his yearly visit and still a clean bill of health.
As I got in the boat with him today, I stuffed a fist full of seeds in my mouth and told him that I had finally quit chewing...130 days ago. He kind of nonchalantly said, "Oh yeah? I just started chewing again." It was like someone kicked me in the gut. I'm still kind of sick about it. He went on to say that the surgeon that did his bladder surgery said that there is a really great chance that he will never have cancer again. And, that he just has a chew every once in a while. Does that sound like addict logic or what. Now, if anyone can just occasionally have a chew, it is my dad, but I doubt it. He mentioned that the cravings never went away.
Surely, he realized that the doctor said that in regards to the cancer he removed...not in general. I don't know what to think. He's 80 and lived through a horrible ordeal with cancer. He never said anything about me chewing. I'm not sure that I wouldn't do the same thing he is if I had gone through what he did. I wouldn't now, knowing what I have learned in the last 130 days.
I'm all fucked up about this. I don't know what to think or say about it. I'm mad, disappointed, shocked...but at the same time...it's his decision. I think it is so hard for me to hear because of what I know about the addiction. I hate that the bitch is winning with Dad. I hate that, like him, we will always have this fucking addiction to deal with.
Thanks for sharing Doc, tough call for sure. Be thankful for the great day of fishing ... and realize you can't make him quit. You can, however let him know you love him and don't want to lose him to an insidious disease that almost took him out In the past. After that? It's on him. I support you brother, and am sorry for the shit feelings this has brought about. Don't let it affect your quit, stay strong!
My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Offline Done4Me

• Epic Quitter
  • Interests: Family, Beach, Fishing, BBQ
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
I'm with you, that would be a kick in the nuts. I imagine you were looking for a wry smile and proud of you son retort. I'm sure you still had a good day but I'll bet his comment changed your mood the rest of the fishing trip. You still had a chance to spend time with him on father's day. And as hard as it'll be for you, it has to be his decision. You can prompt him with a support offer, " Dad if you decide to quit again I'll support you 100%" but after that it's up to him.

Offline srans

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Fishing and playing the guitar.
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »
Quote from: derk40
Quote from: Coach
Quote from: MCO
Quote from: Bronc
Proud as hell to be quit with you Doc! Congrats on the HOF and as always, FU.
I am prescribing you some titties. Great work doctor. 'boob'
Congrats Doc, you're a bad ass quitter, keep up the good work!
'BanDog'
Congrats Doc! 101 today. Well done! Quit with you all day today.
Great job. Keep going, it even gets better.
Hof date may 25, 2013
HoF Speech

The poison sucks. I hate it. I hated it this morning, I hated it at noon, I hated it at supper and I hate it tonight. I enjoy hating it so much I'm going to wake up tomorrow and start over hating it. I quit with anyone that wants to hate it with me.

Offline Doc Chewfree

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2014-02-06
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »
Brave men are honored, rich men are envied, powerful men are feared, but only a man with character is trusted
Quit on Feb. 6, 2014

Offline Mogul

• Quitter
  • Interests: Pilot
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »
Doc, Love reading your stuff. You are an inspiration to all of us. stay on the new quitters. proud to be quit with ya.

Chris

Offline Doc Chewfree

• Quit Pro
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
Quote from: sh4string
Way to go Doc!!!! On to 200!!! MiZ......
ZOU!
Brave men are honored, rich men are envied, powerful men are feared, but only a man with character is trusted
Quit on Feb. 6, 2014

Offline Sh4string

• Quitter
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 10/21/2013
  • Interests: Family, Hunting, fishing, outdoors, triathlon
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
Way to go Doc!!!! On to 200!!! MiZ......
Quitting every damn day since October 21, 2013

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
Doc, welcome to the HOF! I just read your intro thread; you are one badass quitter. +1 with you any day.

Offline Derk40

• Quit Pro
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
Quote from: Coach
'BanDog'
Congrats Doc! 101 today. Well done! Quit with you all day today.
Quit date: 6/23/2013
HOF Date: 9/30/2013

HOF Speech

Offline Coach Steve

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Being quit. Staying quit. Pretty much just quitting like fuck.
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
'BanDog'
Make Your Decision

Offline Doc Chewfree

• Quit Pro
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
Thanks for all of the support. This brotherhood is the only reason I am successful in my quit.
I quit like fuck with everyone of you! Even you gelding.
Quit on Feb. 6, 2014

Offline MCO

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-03-14
  • Interests: Shooting, hunting, fishing, videogames, women, etc.
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2014, 04:24:00 AM »
Quit: 3/14/2014
HOF: 6/21/2014
Quitting with The Saloon and The Elite 8!!
If you are reading this; I quit with you today.

Offline ERDVM

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Cold Beer, Warm Whiskey, Good Friends, Loose Women.
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »

Offline bronc

• Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 3/14/14
  • Interests: Rodeo, Hunting, Raising my daughter, Cooking and entertaining
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »