Author Topic: Struggling to continue  (Read 14474 times)

Offline Gromo

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2018-01-16
  • Interests: I'm James I like Football, Baseball, Rock Concerts, Fixing up my house/yard, Hunting, Drinking high quality whiskey and wine, writing and of course spending time with my wife.
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Struggling to continue
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 07:45:00 PM »
I wanted to thank you guys for making me see the light and join a group.

'boob'

Heres some tits to show my appreciation.

If anyone ever needs to talk through shit or just wants to bullshit, I'll always respond to my inbox.

Offline Dundippin

• Quitter
  • Shift your focus so you do not think about it
    • Recovery Meeting Place
  • Quit Date: 9/15/2015
  • Interests: Web development, database design, management, weightlifting, bike riding, gardening and watching the Baltimore Ravens.
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
JGROMO,

Great advice you have gotten here.

Remember no backsliding.

The main way to be successful is to just decide that you have quit. Once you stop the negotiating in your head as to whether you will do one more or not the rest becomes far more simple.

Next, you will learn to distract your attention from your desire for a dip to anything else that interests you. This ability to change your focus will guarantee your success and make your quit that much easier.

When you place a dip in your mouth, your brain releases sugars. Well, those sugars are now going to be gone.

However, you can replace them with OJ or other fruit juices with sugar. This will provide some comfort, especially in your initial quit days.

Make sure to exercise with weights and cardio when you feel that nagging tension in your muscles, you feel that rage, when you can not sleep and when you can not focus. Exercise really helps.

Here is one that most people overlook. Get at least 3 square meals a day. Hunger can really bring on those urges so squash those urges before they come. Eat full healthy meals and do not let yourself get excessively hungry. You will see this helps a great deal.

I waited until I was 59 quit after using tobacco for 40 years. You are wise to quit now.

I quit with you today.

Dundippin day 868

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 11:24:00 PM »
Quote from: worktowin
Hi bro.

Does it get better? IÂ’m on day 1,860. And IÂ’ve never, ever been happier. Nicotine fucks with your head. It messes with dopamine, hormones, blood sugar...it is a major drug. Every time you use it you reset those effects... you need to stop playing with Fire. And it sounds like you have. Im posting because your intro sounds like the words of a winner (in training), and I love winning... so hereÂ’s my input...

You have been trying to quit alone. Your wife doesnÂ’t get this. How could she? Few girls spit in bottles and have lips shoved full of tobacco. Very few. So she doesnÂ’t understand that a can of dip has as much nicotine as 3 packs of smokes. 3 packs. That, sir, is fucked up. Your friends are still dipping, so they donÂ’t get it.

We get it. HereÂ’s some truths... in order to succeed, you have to quit. Not halfway quit. You have to quit. Everyday you have to promise yourself that for the day you will be clean. And you have to mean it. You need some contacts. Guys that are new that are in you shoes (like skolviking) and guys that have been in your shoes in the past that know the freedom that is ahead. Exercise helps a ton - getting on a treadmill and sweating up a storm helps you forget the pain that today might be. But... ultimately winning at this, and it might take some time, requires a major change to your thought process. In every war there are periods of exhaustion. Depression. Desperation. But at some point winning becomes paramount. You know and feel and can see that you are getting closer. Are there still bad days? Yeah. ItÂ’s like doing 500# leg presses. For a few days your legs hurt so bad... but they hurt so good. You are probably thinking IÂ’m crazy. ThatÂ’s ok dude. I love winning. And once you start changing your mindset and accept and celebrate your victory, this will get easier.

Shoot me a pm if I can help. IÂ’d be happy to share a phone number.

You can do this. Winning together is so much easier and more fun than struggling alone.
^^^ Badass free advice from a major winner here. I'm closing in on 900 days of winning after 35 years of losing. You can do this!

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 10:14:00 PM »
Hi bro.

Does it get better? IÂ’m on day 1,860. And IÂ’ve never, ever been happier. Nicotine fucks with your head. It messes with dopamine, hormones, blood sugar...it is a major drug. Every time you use it you reset those effects... you need to stop playing with Fire. And it sounds like you have. Im posting because your intro sounds like the words of a winner (in training), and I love winning... so hereÂ’s my input...

You have been trying to quit alone. Your wife doesnÂ’t get this. How could she? Few girls spit in bottles and have lips shoved full of tobacco. Very few. So she doesnÂ’t understand that a can of dip has as much nicotine as 3 packs of smokes. 3 packs. That, sir, is fucked up. Your friends are still dipping, so they donÂ’t get it.

We get it. HereÂ’s some truths... in order to succeed, you have to quit. Not halfway quit. You have to quit. Everyday you have to promise yourself that for the day you will be clean. And you have to mean it. You need some contacts. Guys that are new that are in you shoes (like skolviking) and guys that have been in your shoes in the past that know the freedom that is ahead. Exercise helps a ton - getting on a treadmill and sweating up a storm helps you forget the pain that today might be. But... ultimately winning at this, and it might take some time, requires a major change to your thought process. In every war there are periods of exhaustion. Depression. Desperation. But at some point winning becomes paramount. You know and feel and can see that you are getting closer. Are there still bad days? Yeah. ItÂ’s like doing 500# leg presses. For a few days your legs hurt so bad... but they hurt so good. You are probably thinking IÂ’m crazy. ThatÂ’s ok dude. I love winning. And once you start changing your mindset and accept and celebrate your victory, this will get easier.

Shoot me a pm if I can help. IÂ’d be happy to share a phone number.

You can do this. Winning together is so much easier and more fun than struggling alone.

Offline Gerard1

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-12-30
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »
sorry for the double post , no fucking delete button . lame

Offline Gerard1

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-12-30
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 07:55:00 PM »
Hey James welcome to April!,

I feel ya ! In fact there hasn't been an intro Ive read on here that doesn't sound like I wrote at least part of it.

Alcohol decreases inhibition , if there's something that you wanna do but really shouldn't it will take alot less effort to talk yourself into doing it , shit with enough alcohol you might even be able to convince yourself it's necessary. It works like that on everybody and the more you crave the less alcohol you're going to need to cave.

and about being fat (your words not mine) and it killing you , it might and that sucks but it wont kill you TODAY and guess what, that's all anybody is gonna hold you to around here.

put the QUIT in front for now , learn how to be QUIT and stay that way then work on the other things.

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1616
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 06:12:00 PM »
Quote from: JGromo
Quote from: chris2alaska
Hi, I'm James and plain and simple its been a struggle. I quit after 13 years going from a pinch from cans hidden in the bathroom during showers, so my parents couldn't catch me. to a can a day. to I couldn't even tell you because I'd just keep 2-5 logs in the freezer at all times. I hit 26 years old and realized I had been dipping for as many years as I had not. Granted there were a lot of quit attempts, making it a week, making it a month, switching from cope to days of work for almost 6 months. I told my then fiance that I was quitting after the wedding....great idea btw...nothing like putting them through the ringer with that "for better or worse" line right off the bat. But it was worth it. At least I ended up smartening up and waited until after the honeymoon. Didn't wanna ruin Italy with my miserable withdrawal period.

The first few months sucked. Everyone knows that. But even after it got better some days really still feel like those first few. I know its a bitch to kick the habit but you would think after a year and 3 months I'd be free and clear of the urges.

The problem is there are a lot of things I blame on quitting. I never experienced the bad effects of chew personally and I didn't want to quit for strong reasons I wanted to quit because I knew it was only a matter of time. Now for me I had used nicotine as a way to avoid learning how to handle stress and anxiety during my teen years. About 6 months after quitting I had a severe mental breakdown and had to switch to a new more Dr approved drug to use daily. at least its cheaper. I've also put on about 90 lbs since I quit, pure fat. I hate everything about quitting still. I still dunno what to do with myself on long drives. i still crave it insanely badly at Giants games. Some days it almost feels like I am hoping for a disease with an expiration date attached so I can just say "Fuck it I'm gonna die anyway, might as well go down with a dip in my lip"

Let me apologize now, that is insensitive to people that actually have that. No I'm not suicidal. I just want an excuse to start again very badly and that has been one of many thoughts my brain throws out to get me to start. It's an agreement I have with myself that if I get diagnosed with a certain amount of years I'm going back to chew. I've also had some small backslides, occasionally when drunk I've had the "Well Red Man isn't really chew" or "It's snuss/cigerettes/cigars not dip, doesn't count"

Anyway, just don't have many people to talk about this with because honestly I'm the only one of my friends that has made it passed the fabled 100 days mark. Anyone out there with a few years experience does this shit get better? LOL Do many of you backslide when you are drunk? Has anyone found a good way to get around the getting fat issue, cause if I get any fatter it's gonna kill me faster than the chew would have anyway, and diets are having less effect now it seems like. Mostly just thank you for having an outlet to rant in because my wife does not understand how I still have urges after so long, and doesn't understand the strength of these urges.
Hi James,

I'm Chris. I chewed 3 cans a day for over 30 years. I am on day 8 of my quit. My favorite saying about excuses is, "Excuses are like ass holes, everyone has one and they ALL stink".

This site has helped and is helping so many people stay quit from chew. It is the promise that you make every day to yourself and to everyone on this site when post Roll in the morning.

Is November 2016 the last time you had nicotine? when ever the last time was that you ingested nicotine in any form, that is your true quit date. Everything before was just a break.

Use this sites many resources, get phone numbers from other members that you can reach out to if are struggling. I will PM mine to you when I'm done writing. Find out what your Roll group is and post roll every damn day.

I know there are guys here that have been off nicotine for years but still get urges occasionally. It is something we will all have to live with for the rest of our lives I'm afraid to say.

As for the weight gain, join a gym. If you were talking Giants baseball, then you live somewhere in the bay area I assume? Weather there is compatible for walking outside. Take your wife on evening walks for a couple miles three or four times a week and you will see the weight come down. Change your snacks to more healthy options. I used to have a 3 pound bag of peanut MM's next to my couch to help with cravings. After the first 3 days, I switched that to trail mix. I gained like 4 pounds just from the MM's.

It's all about choices, what you choose to eat, how you choose exercise, etc. The only thing that is not a choice is NICOTINE. You are NOT allowed to even look at a can of chew.

Alright, enough of that. I'm very glad you have chosen to quit. It is the right decision. Like I said before, post Roll every day, make that promise to NOT use nicotine every morning when you get up. If you need support, call someone, me included, or come on to this site and post something that says you need help. Someone will help you.

Okay, I'm done. I'll PM you my digits. Call or text anytime.

Chris
Technically then my quit date was not that long ago. Smoked cigars with my brother-in-law on their pregnancy announcement and again on my dad's birthday. cigarettes at the Christmas party as well as a half dozen times last year. I have updated my profile with the true last time I ingested nicotine.

Thank you. For the PM and especially for calling me on my shit.
All righty then,

You are in the April 2018 HOF Roll Group, same as me. Do you know how to post Roll?

If not, let me know and I will be happy to walk you through it.

DPTBQWYT (Damn Proud to be quit with You Today)

Donkey supplied the link in the post above.
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

Offline DonkeyMN

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 01-31-2017
  • Likes Given: 586
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 06:11:00 PM »
April Quit Group

Post your promise with the people quitting at the same time as you.
To remain quit requires focus
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Gromo

• Quitter
  • Interests: I'm James I like Football, Baseball, Rock Concerts, Fixing up my house/yard, Hunting, Drinking high quality whiskey and wine, writing and of course spending time with my wife.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 05:55:00 PM »
Quote from: DonkeyMN
^^^ Thats pretty badass for someone who just started here to be extending a lifeline.

Like Spuds said, that is alot to take in... what the heck is a "backslide"? That is what we call a cave around here. You either ingest nicotine, or you don't. Suck it up brother, it's as simple as that. What is your true quit date?

As far as your weight gain, it is normal to put on pounds. But you gotta be in the mindset to get a handle on one addiction before you move to another. Baby steps... get that mindset of being a badass, and NEVER going back to nicotine. Once you have that steel resolve, turn that badass motivation to something else like working out.

These halls are littered with people. We are all addicts like you. And it has been tough for most of us. But I wouldn't trade my 361 days free for nuthin.

You can do this. One Day At A Time
True quit date is a whole lot more recent than november of 2016 then. I've corrected it. Once its been pointed out as a cave its blatantly obvious to me that it was not just a backslide but falling into a pattern. Once I was made to think of when I caved I realized that they had been growing in amount over the last year, from nothing for probably 6 months, to once, to once a month, to once every few weeks, so thank you and Chris for that wake up. Guess I'm on day 10 not year 2.

Offline Gromo

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 05:48:00 PM »
Quote from: chris2alaska
Hi, I'm James and plain and simple its been a struggle. I quit after 13 years going from a pinch from cans hidden in the bathroom during showers, so my parents couldn't catch me. to a can a day. to I couldn't even tell you because I'd just keep 2-5 logs in the freezer at all times. I hit 26 years old and realized I had been dipping for as many years as I had not. Granted there were a lot of quit attempts, making it a week, making it a month, switching from cope to days of work for almost 6 months. I told my then fiance that I was quitting after the wedding....great idea btw...nothing like putting them through the ringer with that "for better or worse" line right off the bat. But it was worth it. At least I ended up smartening up and waited until after the honeymoon. Didn't wanna ruin Italy with my miserable withdrawal period.

The first few months sucked. Everyone knows that. But even after it got better some days really still feel like those first few. I know its a bitch to kick the habit but you would think after a year and 3 months I'd be free and clear of the urges.

The problem is there are a lot of things I blame on quitting. I never experienced the bad effects of chew personally and I didn't want to quit for strong reasons I wanted to quit because I knew it was only a matter of time. Now for me I had used nicotine as a way to avoid learning how to handle stress and anxiety during my teen years. About 6 months after quitting I had a severe mental breakdown and had to switch to a new more Dr approved drug to use daily. at least its cheaper. I've also put on about 90 lbs since I quit, pure fat. I hate everything about quitting still. I still dunno what to do with myself on long drives. i still crave it insanely badly at Giants games. Some days it almost feels like I am hoping for a disease with an expiration date attached so I can just say "Fuck it I'm gonna die anyway, might as well go down with a dip in my lip"

Let me apologize now, that is insensitive to people that actually have that. No I'm not suicidal. I just want an excuse to start again very badly and that has been one of many thoughts my brain throws out to get me to start. It's an agreement I have with myself that if I get diagnosed with a certain amount of years I'm going back to chew. I've also had some small backslides, occasionally when drunk I've had the "Well Red Man isn't really chew" or "It's snuss/cigerettes/cigars not dip, doesn't count"

Anyway, just don't have many people to talk about this with because honestly I'm the only one of my friends that has made it passed the fabled 100 days mark. Anyone out there with a few years experience does this shit get better? LOL Do many of you backslide when you are drunk? Has anyone found a good way to get around the getting fat issue, cause if I get any fatter it's gonna kill me faster than the chew would have anyway, and diets are having less effect now it seems like. Mostly just thank you for having an outlet to rant in because my wife does not understand how I still have urges after so long, and doesn't understand the strength of these urges.
Hi James,

I'm Chris. I chewed 3 cans a day for over 30 years. I am on day 8 of my quit. My favorite saying about excuses is, "Excuses are like ass holes, everyone has one and they ALL stink".

This site has helped and is helping so many people stay quit from chew. It is the promise that you make every day to yourself and to everyone on this site when post Roll in the morning.

Is November 2016 the last time you had nicotine? when ever the last time was that you ingested nicotine in any form, that is your true quit date. Everything before was just a break.

Use this sites many resources, get phone numbers from other members that you can reach out to if are struggling. I will PM mine to you when I'm done writing. Find out what your Roll group is and post roll every damn day.

I know there are guys here that have been off nicotine for years but still get urges occasionally. It is something we will all have to live with for the rest of our lives I'm afraid to say.

As for the weight gain, join a gym. If you were talking Giants baseball, then you live somewhere in the bay area I assume? Weather there is compatible for walking outside. Take your wife on evening walks for a couple miles three or four times a week and you will see the weight come down. Change your snacks to more healthy options. I used to have a 3 pound bag of peanut MM's next to my couch to help with cravings. After the first 3 days, I switched that to trail mix. I gained like 4 pounds just from the MM's.

It's all about choices, what you choose to eat, how you choose exercise, etc. The only thing that is not a choice is NICOTINE. You are NOT allowed to even look at a can of chew.

Alright, enough of that. I'm very glad you have chosen to quit. It is the right decision. Like I said before, post Roll every day, make that promise to NOT use nicotine every morning when you get up. If you need support, call someone, me included, or come on to this site and post something that says you need help. Someone will help you.

Chris
Technically then my quit date was not that long ago. Smoked cigars with my brother-in-law on their pregnancy announcement and again on my dad's birthday. cigarettes at the Christmas party as well as a half dozen times last year. I have updated my profile with the true last time I ingested nicotine.

Thank you. For the PM and especially for calling me on my shit.

Offline Gromo

• Quitter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 05:40:00 PM »
Quote from: Idaho

JGromo, a lot to take in there, let me do my best, first time on KTC?
1. you passed the 100 days without posting every day on KTC, that is badass, however, I would find your group and start posting, why? see no 2.
2. We are all addicts here and we will self-sabotage and convince ourselves that we can only have just one??? but KTC provides a community and support group to hold each other accountable, I am 1,258 days quit I post every day.
3. read up and on all the stories here, chances are that someone has had a similar story or journey.
4. Chewing and nicotine, hide underlying issues and now your brain is rewiring and that will cause a lot of anxiety and issues to arise, work through them and get all the expert help you need. exercise and improve yourself
5. Nicotine will try to convince you that it would be better with a chew, remember the good old days of chewing... BS, you were controlled by nicotine and a poison, who wants that.
6. it gets tons better, each day and month it is easier and craving subside. You learn you don't need to chew to have fun normal things, like driving, fishing, golfing, etc.

you have quit for 100+ days but chewed for 13 years? be patient and invest in your quit
Yeah first time posting on KTC, been obsessed with doing everything myself initially and it has definitely gotten to the point where I am clearly not able to.
Hell I still have a hard time admitting to myself that I was addicted. I even mention smoking cigarettes occasionally lightly as a "backslide". I also let me trick myself into believing I can be a social cigar smoker without effecting my addiction to chew.

Offline DonkeyMN

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 01-31-2017
  • Likes Given: 586
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 05:33:00 PM »
^^^ Thats pretty badass for someone who just started here to be extending a lifeline.

Like Spuds said, that is alot to take in... what the heck is a "backslide"? That is what we call a cave around here. You either ingest nicotine, or you don't. Suck it up brother, it's as simple as that. What is your true quit date?

As far as your weight gain, it is normal to put on pounds. But you gotta be in the mindset to get a handle on one addiction before you move to another. Baby steps... get that mindset of being a badass, and NEVER going back to nicotine. Once you have that steel resolve, turn that badass motivation to something else like working out.

These halls are littered with people. We are all addicts like you. And it has been tough for most of us. But I wouldn't trade my 361 days free for nuthin.

You can do this. One Day At A Time
To remain quit requires focus

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »
Quote from: Idaho

1. you passed the 100 days without posting every day on KTC, that is badass, however, I would find your group and start posting, why? see no 2.
2. We are all addicts here and we will self-sabotage and convince ourselves that we can only have just one??? but KTC provides a community and support group to hold each other accountable, I am 1,258 days quit I post every day.
3. read up and on all the stories here, chances are that someone has had a similar story or journey.
4. Chewing and nicotine, hide underlying issues and now your brain is rewiring and that will cause a lot of anxiety and issues to arise, work through them and get all the expert help you need. exercise and improve yourself
5. Nicotine will try to convince you that it would be better with a chew, remember the good old days of chewing... BS, you were controlled by nicotine and a poison, who wants that.
6. it gets tons better, each day and month it is easier and craving subside. You learn you don't need to chew to have fun normal things, like driving, fishing, golfing, etc.

you have quit for 100+ days but chewed for 13 years? be patient and invest in your quit
And what Spuds said is good too :D
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

chris2alaska

Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:25:00 PM »

Hi James,

Chris

Brian Dive

Roy T. Bennett

wastepanel

chris2alaska

Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

Offline Idaho Spuds

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: August 18, 2014
  • Interests: Family, Soccer, fishing, hunting, camping
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 05:22:00 PM »