Author Topic: Just Getting Started  (Read 10342 times)

Offline G

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Just Getting Started
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
I smell quit in here. At 100, My wife asked me when I was going to drop the extra lbs.

Goo to be quit with you.

Offline LLCope

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Proud to be a Quitter with you!
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can do without" HD Thoreau

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
Quote from: per034
Day 100.

yes. day 100. I want to keep typing that. day 100 day 100 day 100 day 100....

One day I'll write a HOF speech. This isn't it. I have a pretty good idea what it will be about and what I'll write. My biggest concern is leaving people out when I name names. There have been so many quitters on this site that have inspired me and made my quit tighter. I don't want to forget any one of them when it comes time to name names. But I know I will. And let me apologize ahead of time for that.

Today is my day. I knew in April that today would be special. That it would be a day for me to celebrate. As long as I was still quit when I got here, today would be a day to celebrate. I woke up early this morning and I was quit. The first thing my wife said to me wasn't "get up you fat shit" or "turn the alarm off." No - the first word out of her mouth this morning was congratulations. She had a smile on her face. She's not a morning person. But she was beaming. When my wife smiles she lights up a room. My actions made her smile like that. That makes me proud.

Yesterday one of my colleagues gave his 2-weeks notice. Today I learned that I'm taking responsibility for his team. Of all days to get that news, it's today. My Day. This is a day to celebrate.

It's raining right now, so the day isn't all rainbows and lollipops. But it's a pretty good fricken day.
That is awesome. Simple as that. That is just awesome.

Congrats brother.

Offline ninereasons

• Quitter
  • Interests: Quit
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Day 100.

One day I'll write a HOF speech. This isn't it. I have a pretty good idea what it will be about and what I'll write. My biggest concern is leaving people out when I name names. There have been so many quitters on this site that have inspired me and made my quit tighter. I don't want to forget any one of them when it comes time to name names. But I know I will. And let me apologize ahead of time for that.

Today is my day. I knew in April that today would be special. That it would be a day for me to celebrate. As long as I was still quit when I got here, today would be a day to celebrate. I woke up early this morning and I was quit. The first thing my wife said to me wasn't "get up you fat shit" or "turn the alarm off." No - the first word out of her mouth this morning was congratulations. She had a smile on her face. She's not a morning person. But she was beaming. When my wife smiles she lights up a room. My actions made her smile like that. That makes me proud.

Yesterday one of my colleagues gave his 2-weeks notice. Today I learned that I'm taking responsibility for his team. Of all days to get that news, it's today. My Day. This is a day to celebrate.

It's raining right now, so the day isn't all rainbows and lollipops. But it's a pretty good fricken day.
An inspiration. Thanks. And congratulations!

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
Day 100.

Any day that per owns per is a day to celebrate. Well done. Celebrate day 101 as well. Freedom is the shit. It is not "free" but it is worth the price.

Congrats.

Offline tazmed

• Quitter
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Day 100.

Congratulations on your HoF!!!

'clap' 'clap' 'clap' 'clap' 'clap' 'clap'

Offline per034

• Quitter
  • Interests: My family - 2 amazingly brilliant and beautiful children and an equally amazing and beautiful wife. Sports - Mets and Giants for teams, golf for weekends... Bagpipes. Been playing bagpipes longer than I've been dipping. And that's a long friggin' time.
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Day 100.

The love you get here is conditional. The condition is that you are quit.

"Every time you bump someone and dont fix it, a kitten dies" - Jost2Brown

Offline jmiah

• Quitter
  • Interests: Baseball, hiking, working out (usually), my wife, and my awesome dog, Gunner.
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2011, 03:42:00 AM »
Quote from: Souliman
Consequences...got to be thinking rationally to see them. Good stuff Per.

The more I think about that the more I feel 'duped' by the nic bitch. God I hate her.

I got a question: did you ever think at one point you were willing to pay the consequences? did you just ignore them or was it the need for the nic was just so overwhelming you didn't even see the consequences?

I'm not being a smart ass here. I'm curious what you recall.
That's a really good question. I always knew the consequences. As a younger man in my teens and early 20's, I always felt I had plenty of time to quit before the consequences caught up to me. As I got older I became very aware that I was dancing with the devil - and continually rationalized with the quitter's lament "I need to quit. I'll start tomorrow." After all those tomorrow's I'm now pushing 40.

So I always knew the consequences. I just chose to ignore them. If it weren't for KTC I'd still be ignoring them. And now that I have the clarity of 88 days quit, I have a far greater appreciation for the consequences of my addiction. Now I'm addicted to this site, and all of my consequences are positive.
Word. I knew the consequences and chose to ignore them. I figured the same thing, I'll have years until I need to worry about it. 1st quit was for my wife really, and even though it lasted almost 4 years, my wife is sadly not enough to keep me away from my addiction. Had to do it because I want a better life. I care about the consequences but I don't quit because of them as much as I quit because I'm no slave to anyone or anything. I want to control me and make healthy decisions in the process. Could I get hit by a big ass truck tomorrow? Yep. But at least I didn't lead myself slowly into a heinous death by allowing myself to be tricked that something is helping me. Thanks guys for this topic. It made me think.

Jmiah out
candor dat viribus alas
Sincerity gives wings to strength.

Offline per034

• Quitter
  • Interests: My family - 2 amazingly brilliant and beautiful children and an equally amazing and beautiful wife. Sports - Mets and Giants for teams, golf for weekends... Bagpipes. Been playing bagpipes longer than I've been dipping. And that's a long friggin' time.
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
Quote from: Souliman

The more I think about that the more I feel 'duped' by the nic bitch. God I hate her.

I got a question: did you ever think at one point you were willing to pay the consequences? did you just ignore them or was it the need for the nic was just so overwhelming you didn't even see the consequences?

That's a really good question. I always knew the consequences. As a younger man in my teens and early 20's, I always felt I had plenty of time to quit before the consequences caught up to me. As I got older I became very aware that I was dancing with the devil - and continually rationalized with the quitter's lament "I need to quit. I'll start tomorrow." After all those tomorrow's I'm now pushing 40.

So I always knew the consequences. I just chose to ignore them. If it weren't for KTC I'd still be ignoring them. And now that I have the clarity of 88 days quit, I have a far greater appreciation for the consequences of my addiction. Now I'm addicted to this site, and all of my consequences are positive.
The love you get here is conditional. The condition is that you are quit.

"Every time you bump someone and dont fix it, a kitten dies" - Jost2Brown

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »

Offline dchogs

• Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 16, 2011
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
Word.

Late night crave gone.

Neighborhood bank now less safe. :ph43r:
Quit- 5/16/2011. One day at a time.
HoF- 8/23/2011; 2nd Floor- 12/1/2011; 3rd Floor- 3/10/2012; 4th Floor- 6/18/2012; 5th Floor- 9/27/2012; 6th Floor- 1/4/2013; 7th Floor- 4/14/2013; 8th Floor- 7/23/2013; 9th Floor- 10/31/2013; 10th Floor- 2/8/2014; 11th Floor- 5/19/2014; 12th Floor- 8/27/2014; 13th Floor- 12/5/14; 14th floor- 3/15/15; 15th floor- 6/23/15; 16th floor- 10/1/15; 17th floor- 1/9/16; 18th floor- 4/18/16; 19th floor- 7/26/16; 20th floor- 11/4/16; 21st floor- 2/12/17; 22nd Floor- 5/23/17; 23rd Floor- 8/31/17; 24th Floor- 12/9/17; 25th floor- 3/19/18; 26th floor- 6/27/18; 27th floor- 10/5/18; 28th floor- 1/13/19; 29th foor- 4/22/19; 30th floor- 7/31/19; 31st floor- 11/8/19; 32nd floor- 2/17/20; 33rd floor- 5/27/20; 34th floor- 9/4/20; 35th floor- 12/13/20; 36th floor- 3/23/21; 37th floor- 7/1/21; 38th floor- 10/9/21; 39th floor- 1/17/22; 40th floor- 4/27/22; 41st floor- 8/5/22; 42nd floor- 11/12/22; 43rd floor- 2/20/23; 44th floor- 6/1/23; 45th floor- 9/9/23; 46th floor- 12/18/23; 47th floor- 3/27/24.

"He which hath no stomach to this fight let him depart. But we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers! For he today, that sheds his blood with me, shall always be my brother." (Wm. Shakespeare). For August '11.

Who dares, wins.

Stay quit... it is life or death and that is the undeniable truth.

"To be driven by our appetites alone is slavery, while to obey a law that we have imposed on ourselves is freedom." Rosseau

Offline jmiah

• Quitter
  • Interests: Baseball, hiking, working out (usually), my wife, and my awesome dog, Gunner.
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
87 days in.

I feel good. I just wish the cravings would stop. I get them all time. When I get those cravings, I really want a dip. I was thinking about a very brief conversation I had with Cronk yesterday on my way to work this morning. And I thought about why it is that we Quitheads still want to dip, despite the consequences that we all know. Then I started thinking about those consequences and the consequences of other things I'd want. I want to rob a bank because it would be nice to be obscenely wealthy. But IÂ’m not willing to pay the consequences (jail time). I want to bang Asian waitresses three at a time. But IÂ’m not willing to pay the consequences (disease, divorce). And sometimesÂ… well, yes. I want a dip. But IÂ’m not willing to pay the consequences which are undeniable. If I keep dipping, it will kill me.

If I had to rank those consequences I just listed, death is clearly the worst one. So – I guess I’m saying I’m more likely to rob a bank than to put another pinch of dip in my mouth. Every decision I make has a consequence – positive or negative. I might not even realize it. Staying up late… consequence is less sleep. Buying my son a Mets jersey at the game last night? Consequence is less money in my pocket. Playing tea party with my daughter? Consequence is that the lawn didn't get mowed Monday.

Putting a dip in my mouth? Consequence is death. Perhaps not immediate, but certainly sooner than it should come. Consequence is that my children have to watch their father die – not as the man they know today, but as a shriveled, withering mess because of what Cancer will do to him. Consequence is that my wife will suffer for the rest of her life because of my own selfishness.

No. IÂ’m not willing to pay the consequences. I will never again be willing to pay those consequences.
Thank you for this. This is real and I can relate to this. You just helped me today by being able to read your post.

Thank You
candor dat viribus alas
Sincerity gives wings to strength.

Offline dante

• Quit Pro
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Buying my son a Mets jersey at the game last night? Consequence is less money in my pocket.
Per,

When you speak...poeple need to listen. This is another example of why you and many other quitheads in August are successful. Introspection...look inside to detect what's wrong and fix it, not just "boo-hoo, poor fucking me". Your quit just made mine a little more bulletproof.

Plus you're a Mets fan...so there's that too.

Proud to be quit with you bro!

-Dante
Quit Date: May 10, 2011

Offline LLCope

• Quitter
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Per ---you rock

Just think of this----- on day 187 you may not have any urges! How do you get to day 187----You get to day 187 by quitting TODAY -----Also remember day 87 is much better than day 7(remember day 7!).

So we have a combination of both memory (remembering the pain from day 7) and hope for an even greater freedom as we rack up the days(the knowledge that day 187 is going to be better than day 87). However, the QUIT can only be accomplished today.

Memory + Hope = A good QUIT TODAY--- where the real work of quitting happens.

Fuck those urges! You got this!
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can do without" HD Thoreau

Offline _oz

• Quitter
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Keep it up brother - you help me with my quit just by reading your posts!

Do what you are doing - and when you get that urge - just remember that your consequence of caving will affect me as well - so just quit for today!
QD - 5/13/11
1 day at a time!