Author Topic: One day at a time  (Read 19103 times)

Offline BazookaJoe

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: August 4, 2014
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: One day at a time
« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
Misfire

Offline Derk40

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Quote from: Dagranger
Quote from: brettlees
Quote from: Thumblewort
Quote from: rdad
Quote from: wastepanel
Quote from: BazookaJoe
As I sit here on day 172 of my quit, I look back on my life and realize this is the second time that I was off nicotine for this amount of time. You see back in 2002, I used the patches to stop dipping and smoking but upon reaching 6 months, I caved miserably. This time, I can honestly say, I am quit and I will be tomorrow, on day 180, and forward into the wild blue yonder because I have powerful allies known as brotherhood and accountability aiding me in the fight against the Nic Bitch.
'oh yeah'

Proud to be quit with you man.
Right on Bazooka Joe. x2 here on what Waste wrote. 'oh yeah' 'oh yeah'
When I quit dip in March, and had these other quitters tell me I wasn't quit yet because I had a patch on, I was so pissed. WTF do they know? 294 days later I get it, and am so happy for their brotherhood to kick me in the junk and tell me the truth. Happy to be quit with you today BazJoe!
Isn't it great to feel like you can actually stay quit if you just use the tools? So much better than the uncertainty from all the failed attempts before. Keep it up man!
Amen Bazooka! We've all had some success without dip at one time or another, but it was never QUIT. But thanks to this site and the support I get here I am really fucking free of the leash that is my addiction. I know I'm still addicted, and I will not attempt to prove I am not. FYI, keep up,your strong work around here.
Nice job! You should be proud of yourself today! I'm proud to be quit with you!
Quit date: 6/23/2013
HOF Date: 9/30/2013

HOF Speech

Offline Dagranger

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 06-27-2013
  • Interests: I used to like playing any sport. Now I like coaching any sport. Hiking, camping, biking. I work out a lot but I hate it.
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #198 on: January 24, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
Quote from: brettlees
As I sit here on day 172 of my quit, I look back on my life and realize this is the second time that I was off nicotine for this amount of time. You see back in 2002, I used the patches to stop dipping and smoking but upon reaching 6 months, I caved miserably. This time, I can honestly say, I am quit and I will be tomorrow, on day 180, and forward into the wild blue yonder because I have powerful allies known as brotherhood and accountability aiding me in the fight against the Nic Bitch.
'oh yeah'

When I quit dip in March, and had these other quitters tell me I wasn't quit yet because I had a patch on, I was so pissed. WTF do they know? 294 days later I get it, and am so happy for their brotherhood to kick me in the junk and tell me the truth. Happy to be quit with you today BazJoe!
Isn't it great to feel like you can actually stay quit if you just use the tools? So much better than the uncertainty from all the failed attempts before. Keep it up man!
Amen Bazooka! We've all had some success without dip at one time or another, but it was never QUIT. But thanks to this site and the support I get here I am really fucking free of the leash that is my addiction. I know I'm still addicted, and I will not attempt to prove I am not. FYI, keep up,your strong work around here.

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
'oh yeah'

This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
'oh yeah'

Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline rdad

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 11/22/13
  • Interests: All Shooting Sports, Reloading, Fly Fishing, and Music.
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #195 on: January 22, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
'oh yeah'

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
'oh yeah'

In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline BazookaJoe

• Master of Quit
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2015, 11:12:00 AM »

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
Quote from: Scowick65
I just counted all my offline KTC contacts. I got 37 and I'm getting more daily. This is theoffline support network everyone needs. If you've been here for 100 days and don't have at least one KTC quit brother's or sister's number.....you're a special butterfly that's stronger than I'll ever hope to be. If you just got here a few days ago, reach out to anyone and I can guarantee you that you'll have digits the next day.
Great job!

Everyone should go to a quit meet. Meeting others in person strengthens the bond.
This is how you do it!!
This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
I just counted all my offline KTC contacts. I got 37 and I'm getting more daily. This is theoffline support network everyone needs. If you've been here for 100 days and don't have at least one KTC quit brother's or sister's number.....you're a special butterfly that's stronger than I'll ever hope to be. If you just got here a few days ago, reach out to anyone and I can guarantee you that you'll have digits the next day.
Great job!

Everyone should go to a quit meet. Meeting others in person strengthens the bond.

Offline BazookaJoe

• Master of Quit
« Reply #190 on: January 19, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »

Offline rdad

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 11/22/13
  • Interests: All Shooting Sports, Reloading, Fly Fishing, and Music.
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
Man this fucking cold, flu, or whatever disease I have sucks. It's the first time since I quit dipping that I've fallen this ill so as my body cooled back down, I found myself in a new world. In a semi conscious post fever state, I had a dip and drink dream that was about as real I want to get. I was actually rationalizing my dual cave because I survived such an arduous trip through hell.
This goes to show that no matter how far we get away from our quit dates we always need to be on our toes because the Nic and Alc bitch will always be there waiting for their chance to get back in our lives.
I stayed grounded in my quits because of this site and the countless folks that I've befriended since I joined. Letting all those folks down for a cheap thrill would have been an act of cowardice and something I could not bear. I am 166 days quit on Nic and 654 days on Alc, tomorrow, by the grace of God, will be +1 on both.
Great post Joe! I have no worries about you. You got this. Theres nothing a 454 casull cant handle! Feel better soon bro!

Offline BazookaJoe

• Master of Quit
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
Man this fucking cold, flu, or whatever disease I have sucks. It's the first time since I quit dipping that I've fallen this ill so as my body cooled back down, I found myself in a new world. In a semi conscious post fever state, I had a dip and drink dream that was about as real I want to get. I was actually rationalizing my dual cave because I survived such an arduous trip through hell.
This goes to show that no matter how far we get away from our quit dates we always need to be on our toes because the Nic and Alc bitch will always be there waiting for their chance to get back in our lives.
I stayed grounded in my quits because of this site and the countless folks that I've befriended since I joined. Letting all those folks down for a cheap thrill would have been an act of cowardice and something I could not bear. I am 166 days quit on Nic and 654 days on Alc, tomorrow, by the grace of God, will be +1 on both.

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
  • Interests: Baseball, Hunting, Trucks, Diesels, Scouting,
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
Quote from: Scowick65
Quote from: Bronc
Quote from: redtrain14
Quote from: ChristopherJ
Quote from: Steakbomb18
Quote from: 30yrAddict
Quote from: Smeds
I know what I'm about to say may be considered blasphemy by many folks on KTC but I have to get it off my chest. When someone caves in to temptation and takes a big fatty into their maw, I don't take it as an assault on me or my quit. What that dumbfuck did is not in any way gonna make me feel slighted or make me want to follow suit and start dipping again. What that dolt did for me was strengthen my quit. He gave me yet another reason to stay quit and a reminder of just how treacherous the razor's edge I walk on really is.
I work in Safety and I liken quit groups on KTC to a tightly knit crew of Ironworkers. They work together daily at heights and are required to utilize a personal fall arrest system. One day while installing some diagonal bracing at elevation 120 one of the IWs, who had gotten complacent, decided not to tie off. A few minutes later and "OH SHIT" was heard along with shrieks, hollers, mayday and man down calls moments later. The fall resulted in the loss of one Ironworker who had thought that tying off was stupid, repetitive, and useless since he worked safe for 100 days and knew all there was to know.
Will this fall related fatality cause the other Ironworkers to fall as well? NO, IT WILL NOT!!! The crew may need some time to collect themselves but the loss will strengthen their resolve and cause them to be a whole helluva lot safer at heights by ensuring that 100% tie off is utilized.
Here on KTC, posting roll, getting involved, and contacting people when you're in need is exactly like maintaining 100% tie off. If someone fails to utilize these tools and ends up falling, they get hurt...the rest of us don't.
Awesome analogy Ryan! Although unsettling to say the least to see someone you've worked with for so long fall, it's always an eye opener for the rest of the "workers". I feel it's important to yell over to those idiots who fail to tie off (whether via PM, texts, or just posts within the group) to remind them of the dangerous height they are working at. Sometimes, those yells fall of deaf ears ... and we can rest easier (even though it still sucks) knowing that we did our due diligence.

Quitting and tying off with you again today bro!
I agree Joe, every time someone caved, I thought about what it would be like to be a slave again, or to have to come back and face the music for a cave, and go through the suck again. It reminded me of past failure and current success. Each example actually strengthened my quit.

I'll have what you are having, friend.
Right on bazooka joe. You have reached the point in your quit where your quit is yours alone. A weak assed caver has no power over you! We only need to surround ourselves with strong climbers.
Smeds I know it sounds a bit morbid but in truth it didn't have to be. You see elevation 120 does not mean 120' above the ground because it's all based off of whatever grade is. If grade was at sea level the worker would be dead but where I'm at our elevation at grade is about 100' so he would have fallen ~20' and possibly survived with some broken bones. He would still be out of commission for a while and wouldn't be clambering around on the iron for quite some time. Since he survived, he will be able to face the music when he comes back because his coworkers are never going to let him forget about it.
I'm glad I elaborated on this since caving really cannot be likened to a fatal fall. True Nicotine is a poison but it's not in the same category as strychnine or cyanide since it won't kill us right away. It takes time like a series of low elevation falls from height.
I think most would agree with your post, I certainly do. There's a difference between weakening someone's cave and stabbing a guy in the back. For example, if I cave, I wouldn't expect any of you to have a weaker quit because of it. I would expect that you would all feel like I stabbed you in the back and gave very premise of our brotherhood a big FU.

I've always felt that a caver strengthen's my quit, it gives me resolve. There are some who have caved, and have come back stronger and with a vengeance. It takes a lot of soul searching to be that guy and I respect them for figuring it out. Sure that cave stabbed a lot of people in the back; they had to earn respect back, and that won't happen overnight. Then there are others who cave because they are weak, not ready, immature, or whatever. I'll just say that not a one of those guys is a stone in my foundation.
Bazooka,

That story is an awesome analogy and it just caused me to think about my quit in a whole different way. That will help it get stronger and I really appreciate that. There have been so many moments like that here at KTC where someone shares something that absolutely changes the way I think and feel about quitting and nicotine. I never thought I would personally grow from this experience the way I have.

Quit with you.

CJ
As a Construction Manager...you speak my language Joe.

Well stated!
Hey y'all, I'm glad my words resounded with you. I quit with y'all today.
I'll take those words of wisdom BJ! Thank you for your quit and your support and overall badassery. I'll quit with you every damn day. - Bronc
You are spot on. I feel the same way. The nic bitch hunts every day. She waits patiently. She knows weakness. She will thin The Herd.

She will never, ever beat me. Ever. Period.
Well said BJ! I too now manage construction projects and I see complacency every day. It drives me just as crazy as some assclown spitting in stud tracks. Between the ignorance of leaving debris on a roof, food remnants on the starts or in the break room or just plane failing to have on Safety Glasses, Vest, Hardhat or boots; You can't make a horse drink but as a very bright man once told me "You can either change the man or you can change the man".

My quit has not been as filled with my 100% commitment to KTC due to major work stress over having to eliminate two employees and do their jobs over the holidays but I continued posting roll daily and now I am starting to climb out from under this huge rock called work for a little bit.

Continue your profound words and maintaining your quit by identifying it with real life. I love comparing and contrasting.
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Best thing I have read on KTC...Submitted by tgafish on 7/3/14

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Quote from: Bronc
Quote from: redtrain14
Quote from: ChristopherJ
Quote from: Steakbomb18
Quote from: 30yrAddict
Quote from: Smeds
I know what I'm about to say may be considered blasphemy by many folks on KTC but I have to get it off my chest. When someone caves in to temptation and takes a big fatty into their maw, I don't take it as an assault on me or my quit. What that dumbfuck did is not in any way gonna make me feel slighted or make me want to follow suit and start dipping again. What that dolt did for me was strengthen my quit. He gave me yet another reason to stay quit and a reminder of just how treacherous the razor's edge I walk on really is.
I work in Safety and I liken quit groups on KTC to a tightly knit crew of Ironworkers. They work together daily at heights and are required to utilize a personal fall arrest system. One day while installing some diagonal bracing at elevation 120 one of the IWs, who had gotten complacent, decided not to tie off. A few minutes later and "OH SHIT" was heard along with shrieks, hollers, mayday and man down calls moments later. The fall resulted in the loss of one Ironworker who had thought that tying off was stupid, repetitive, and useless since he worked safe for 100 days and knew all there was to know.
Will this fall related fatality cause the other Ironworkers to fall as well? NO, IT WILL NOT!!! The crew may need some time to collect themselves but the loss will strengthen their resolve and cause them to be a whole helluva lot safer at heights by ensuring that 100% tie off is utilized.
Here on KTC, posting roll, getting involved, and contacting people when you're in need is exactly like maintaining 100% tie off. If someone fails to utilize these tools and ends up falling, they get hurt...the rest of us don't.
Awesome analogy Ryan! Although unsettling to say the least to see someone you've worked with for so long fall, it's always an eye opener for the rest of the "workers". I feel it's important to yell over to those idiots who fail to tie off (whether via PM, texts, or just posts within the group) to remind them of the dangerous height they are working at. Sometimes, those yells fall of deaf ears ... and we can rest easier (even though it still sucks) knowing that we did our due diligence.

Quitting and tying off with you again today bro!
I agree Joe, every time someone caved, I thought about what it would be like to be a slave again, or to have to come back and face the music for a cave, and go through the suck again. It reminded me of past failure and current success. Each example actually strengthened my quit.

I'll have what you are having, friend.
Right on bazooka joe. You have reached the point in your quit where your quit is yours alone. A weak assed caver has no power over you! We only need to surround ourselves with strong climbers.
Smeds I know it sounds a bit morbid but in truth it didn't have to be. You see elevation 120 does not mean 120' above the ground because it's all based off of whatever grade is. If grade was at sea level the worker would be dead but where I'm at our elevation at grade is about 100' so he would have fallen ~20' and possibly survived with some broken bones. He would still be out of commission for a while and wouldn't be clambering around on the iron for quite some time. Since he survived, he will be able to face the music when he comes back because his coworkers are never going to let him forget about it.
I'm glad I elaborated on this since caving really cannot be likened to a fatal fall. True Nicotine is a poison but it's not in the same category as strychnine or cyanide since it won't kill us right away. It takes time like a series of low elevation falls from height.
I think most would agree with your post, I certainly do. There's a difference between weakening someone's cave and stabbing a guy in the back. For example, if I cave, I wouldn't expect any of you to have a weaker quit because of it. I would expect that you would all feel like I stabbed you in the back and gave very premise of our brotherhood a big FU.

I've always felt that a caver strengthen's my quit, it gives me resolve. There are some who have caved, and have come back stronger and with a vengeance. It takes a lot of soul searching to be that guy and I respect them for figuring it out. Sure that cave stabbed a lot of people in the back; they had to earn respect back, and that won't happen overnight. Then there are others who cave because they are weak, not ready, immature, or whatever. I'll just say that not a one of those guys is a stone in my foundation.
Bazooka,

That story is an awesome analogy and it just caused me to think about my quit in a whole different way. That will help it get stronger and I really appreciate that. There have been so many moments like that here at KTC where someone shares something that absolutely changes the way I think and feel about quitting and nicotine. I never thought I would personally grow from this experience the way I have.

Quit with you.

CJ
As a Construction Manager...you speak my language Joe.

Well stated!
Hey y'all, I'm glad my words resounded with you. I quit with y'all today.
I'll take those words of wisdom BJ! Thank you for your quit and your support and overall badassery. I'll quit with you every damn day. - Bronc
You are spot on. I feel the same way. The nic bitch hunts every day. She waits patiently. She knows weakness. She will thin The Herd.

She will never, ever beat me. Ever. Period.