Author Topic: One day at a time  (Read 19098 times)

Offline bronc

• Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 3/14/14
  • Interests: Rodeo, Hunting, Raising my daughter, Cooking and entertaining
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: One day at a time
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
Quote from: BazookaJoe
Quote from: redtrain14
Quote from: ChristopherJ
Quote from: Steakbomb18
Quote from: rdad
Quote from: 30yrAddict
Quote from: Smeds
I know what I'm about to say may be considered blasphemy by many folks on KTC but I have to get it off my chest. When someone caves in to temptation and takes a big fatty into their maw, I don't take it as an assault on me or my quit. What that dumbfuck did is not in any way gonna make me feel slighted or make me want to follow suit and start dipping again. What that dolt did for me was strengthen my quit. He gave me yet another reason to stay quit and a reminder of just how treacherous the razor's edge I walk on really is.
I work in Safety and I liken quit groups on KTC to a tightly knit crew of Ironworkers. They work together daily at heights and are required to utilize a personal fall arrest system. One day while installing some diagonal bracing at elevation 120 one of the IWs, who had gotten complacent, decided not to tie off. A few minutes later and "OH SHIT" was heard along with shrieks, hollers, mayday and man down calls moments later. The fall resulted in the loss of one Ironworker who had thought that tying off was stupid, repetitive, and useless since he worked safe for 100 days and knew all there was to know.
Will this fall related fatality cause the other Ironworkers to fall as well? NO, IT WILL NOT!!! The crew may need some time to collect themselves but the loss will strengthen their resolve and cause them to be a whole helluva lot safer at heights by ensuring that 100% tie off is utilized.
Here on KTC, posting roll, getting involved, and contacting people when you're in need is exactly like maintaining 100% tie off. If someone fails to utilize these tools and ends up falling, they get hurt...the rest of us don't.
Awesome analogy Ryan! Although unsettling to say the least to see someone you've worked with for so long fall, it's always an eye opener for the rest of the "workers". I feel it's important to yell over to those idiots who fail to tie off (whether via PM, texts, or just posts within the group) to remind them of the dangerous height they are working at. Sometimes, those yells fall of deaf ears ... and we can rest easier (even though it still sucks) knowing that we did our due diligence.

Quitting and tying off with you again today bro!
I agree Joe, every time someone caved, I thought about what it would be like to be a slave again, or to have to come back and face the music for a cave, and go through the suck again. It reminded me of past failure and current success. Each example actually strengthened my quit.

I'll have what you are having, friend.
Right on bazooka joe. You have reached the point in your quit where your quit is yours alone. A weak assed caver has no power over you! We only need to surround ourselves with strong climbers.
Smeds I know it sounds a bit morbid but in truth it didn't have to be. You see elevation 120 does not mean 120' above the ground because it's all based off of whatever grade is. If grade was at sea level the worker would be dead but where I'm at our elevation at grade is about 100' so he would have fallen ~20' and possibly survived with some broken bones. He would still be out of commission for a while and wouldn't be clambering around on the iron for quite some time. Since he survived, he will be able to face the music when he comes back because his coworkers are never going to let him forget about it.
I'm glad I elaborated on this since caving really cannot be likened to a fatal fall. True Nicotine is a poison but it's not in the same category as strychnine or cyanide since it won't kill us right away. It takes time like a series of low elevation falls from height.
I think most would agree with your post, I certainly do. There's a difference between weakening someone's cave and stabbing a guy in the back. For example, if I cave, I wouldn't expect any of you to have a weaker quit because of it. I would expect that you would all feel like I stabbed you in the back and gave very premise of our brotherhood a big FU.

I've always felt that a caver strengthen's my quit, it gives me resolve. There are some who have caved, and have come back stronger and with a vengeance. It takes a lot of soul searching to be that guy and I respect them for figuring it out. Sure that cave stabbed a lot of people in the back; they had to earn respect back, and that won't happen overnight. Then there are others who cave because they are weak, not ready, immature, or whatever. I'll just say that not a one of those guys is a stone in my foundation.
Bazooka,

That story is an awesome analogy and it just caused me to think about my quit in a whole different way. That will help it get stronger and I really appreciate that. There have been so many moments like that here at KTC where someone shares something that absolutely changes the way I think and feel about quitting and nicotine. I never thought I would personally grow from this experience the way I have.

Quit with you.

CJ
As a Construction Manager...you speak my language Joe.

Well stated!
Hey y'all, I'm glad my words resounded with you. I quit with y'all today.
I'll take those words of wisdom BJ! Thank you for your quit and your support and overall badassery. I'll quit with you every damn day. - Bronc

Offline BazookaJoe

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: August 4, 2014
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2015, 06:36:00 AM »
Quote from: redtrain14
I know what I'm about to say may be considered blasphemy by many folks on KTC but I have to get it off my chest. When someone caves in to temptation and takes a big fatty into their maw, I don't take it as an assault on me or my quit. What that dumbfuck did is not in any way gonna make me feel slighted or make me want to follow suit and start dipping again. What that dolt did for me was strengthen my quit. He gave me yet another reason to stay quit and a reminder of just how treacherous the razor's edge I walk on really is.
I work in Safety and I liken quit groups on KTC to a tightly knit crew of Ironworkers. They work together daily at heights and are required to utilize a personal fall arrest system. One day while installing some diagonal bracing at elevation 120 one of the IWs, who had gotten complacent, decided not to tie off. A few minutes later and "OH SHIT" was heard along with shrieks, hollers, mayday and man down calls moments later. The fall resulted in the loss of one Ironworker who had thought that tying off was stupid, repetitive, and useless since he worked safe for 100 days and knew all there was to know.
Will this fall related fatality cause the other Ironworkers to fall as well? NO, IT WILL NOT!!! The crew may need some time to collect themselves but the loss will strengthen their resolve and cause them to be a whole helluva lot safer at heights by ensuring that 100% tie off is utilized.
Here on KTC, posting roll, getting involved, and contacting people when you're in need is exactly like maintaining 100% tie off. If someone fails to utilize these tools and ends up falling, they get hurt...the rest of us don't.
Awesome analogy Ryan! Although unsettling to say the least to see someone you've worked with for so long fall, it's always an eye opener for the rest of the "workers". I feel it's important to yell over to those idiots who fail to tie off (whether via PM, texts, or just posts within the group) to remind them of the dangerous height they are working at. Sometimes, those yells fall of deaf ears ... and we can rest easier (even though it still sucks) knowing that we did our due diligence.

I agree Joe, every time someone caved, I thought about what it would be like to be a slave again, or to have to come back and face the music for a cave, and go through the suck again. It reminded me of past failure and current success. Each example actually strengthened my quit.

Right on bazooka joe. You have reached the point in your quit where your quit is yours alone. A weak assed caver has no power over you! We only need to surround ourselves with strong climbers.
Smeds I know it sounds a bit morbid but in truth it didn't have to be. You see elevation 120 does not mean 120' above the ground because it's all based off of whatever grade is. If grade was at sea level the worker would be dead but where I'm at our elevation at grade is about 100' so he would have fallen ~20' and possibly survived with some broken bones. He would still be out of commission for a while and wouldn't be clambering around on the iron for quite some time. Since he survived, he will be able to face the music when he comes back because his coworkers are never going to let him forget about it.
I'm glad I elaborated on this since caving really cannot be likened to a fatal fall. True Nicotine is a poison but it's not in the same category as strychnine or cyanide since it won't kill us right away. It takes time like a series of low elevation falls from height.
I think most would agree with your post, I certainly do. There's a difference between weakening someone's cave and stabbing a guy in the back. For example, if I cave, I wouldn't expect any of you to have a weaker quit because of it. I would expect that you would all feel like I stabbed you in the back and gave very premise of our brotherhood a big FU.

I've always felt that a caver strengthen's my quit, it gives me resolve. There are some who have caved, and have come back stronger and with a vengeance. It takes a lot of soul searching to be that guy and I respect them for figuring it out. Sure that cave stabbed a lot of people in the back; they had to earn respect back, and that won't happen overnight. Then there are others who cave because they are weak, not ready, immature, or whatever. I'll just say that not a one of those guys is a stone in my foundation.
Bazooka,

That story is an awesome analogy and it just caused me to think about my quit in a whole different way. That will help it get stronger and I really appreciate that. There have been so many moments like that here at KTC where someone shares something that absolutely changes the way I think and feel about quitting and nicotine. I never thought I would personally grow from this experience the way I have.

Quit with you.

CJ

Well stated!
Hey y'all, I'm glad my words resounded with you. I quit with y'all today.

Offline redtrain14

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Family, hunting, fishing, running, mountain biking, swimming, building shit, and anything else that sounds like fun.
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »

Bazooka,

Quit with you.

CJ

Well stated!

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »

Bazooka,

Quit with you.

CJ
Ditto. Thanks, that fortifies my quit big time!
This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!

Offline ChristopherJ

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: Sept 17, 2014
  • Interests: Travel, music, sports, art,
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »

Bazooka,

Quit with you.

CJ
Don't be afraid.  You are not alone.

Offline BazookaJoe

• Master of Quit
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2015, 05:55:00 AM »
Ok let's see, these are the current status (as of 1-10) of each quit I am involved in:
Alcohol - 648 days
Nicotine - 160 days
Fast Food - 34 days
Compulsive Overeating - 34 days
Soda including artificial sweeteners and large amounts of sugar - 31 days
Caffeine - 31 days.

Offline Steakbomb18

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 12/13/2013
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »

Certified Grade A Badass

Offline BazookaJoe

• Master of Quit
« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2015, 07:50:00 AM »

Offline rdad

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 11/22/13
  • Interests: All Shooting Sports, Reloading, Fly Fishing, and Music.
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2015, 12:35:00 AM »

Offline BazookaJoe

• Master of Quit
« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
Poof

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »

Offline Smeds

• Master of Quit
  • The bluebird can sing, but the crow's got the soul
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »

My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Offline BazookaJoe

• Master of Quit
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »

Offline BazookaJoe

• Master of Quit
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
Tomorrow is HOF 1.5. I'm 3/4 the way to 200 and halfway to 300. No matter what number I build up to, I'll never be cured and I'll always be an addict. Today I am free of alcohol, nicotine, soda, caffeine, fast food, and overeating. Will I be tomorrow? Probably but I need to remember that tomorrow's not guaranteed and neither are my quits. It takes daily maintenance and roll posts to make sure caves don't occur.

Offline jabr

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Agriculture, NCAAFB, Arkansas Razorbacks, STL Cardinals
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #171 on: December 28, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »
Quote from: worktowin
Quote from: jabr
Some of you may remember that I started posting roll at Day 41 which meant I would hit the hall with only 59 roll posts to my credit. Well 5 days ago I finally got to 100 posts. Achieving 100% posting status is my next goal. I was at 99.03% last time I checked the SSOA.
I remember that. It caused a stir for some reason. I had posted first on day 25, missed 26 and 27, then been 100% since. I think one of my first posts outside of roll was offering to change groups since I hadn't "started" until 25.

You have been a huge asset to Nov 14. I'm glad you're there.
I just looked at those old posts after me, you, Abbysdaddy, and Freebase joined. The day one posters really discounted us didn't they. They fucking wrote us off as second class citizens just because we joined late...hmm now look at us. We completely obliterated the idea that you had to be a Day 1 poster to be successful on KTC. I will never forget the folks that welcomed me to KTC but I will also never forget those who shunned me and they know who they are.
I joined on day 16. You and I learned the plan and follow it. Many that join late seem to show up, post and intro, and leave. That ain't us at all! Quit with you all day BazJoe!
Honestly, I really don't remember how I survived those first 24 days. I must've had some serious tobacco hate going to fly solo that long. I do remember that I was about out of gas when I found KTC. Now, I'm almost 5 months. Couldn't be more proud.