Author Topic: Thanks  (Read 5531 times)

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Thanks
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
Quote from: AppleJack
Quote from: worktowin
2 commas are even sexier than one! Congrats on 2K sir, and thanks for the support. Live it up and celebrate today!
Out-freaking-standing!
Wow! Yes they are, w2w! And just perusing this, I saw some challenges near one comma that reminded me of some craves at 998 or so and dreams in the 990s too! Strange how this stuff works in us! Big congrats Hogs!
This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2016, 08:56:00 AM »
Quote from: worktowin
2 commas are even sexier than one! Congrats on 2K sir, and thanks for the support. Live it up and celebrate today!
Out-freaking-standing!
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Online worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2016, 07:40:00 AM »

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
Quote from: B-loMatt
Quote from: SirDerek
Quote from: Dchogs
Looked for a good place to put this, and this seemed as inspired as any other...

I had a double dip dream the night before 1000.  Dip dream, wake up in panic, back to sleep, re-dream the cave, wake up absolutely convinced...

To me, this is a beautiful comma gift from the nic bitch.  It just reminds me that this fight is never over; that I'm one dip away from rock bottom; that my strength and will (thanks in massive part to KTC) keep me on the right side of the knife edge of survival.

It is easy to forget, but I have been blessed with a long memory with dip.  I still feel the gentle pull late at night, when work stress is high, or when shit gets real.  This is not a sob story, but rather the purest form of a success story.  With help and the meaningful promise of my word, I stare the beast in the eye EVERY DAY and tell it to fuck off.  Some days it is easy, others, hard.  KTC and the members that make it real are the sole constant companion to my resolve.

To the vets, stay strong and stay active.  One word can ma e the difference in a single quit... Can save a life.  Be the hammer, be the supportive shoulder, be the one role model that makes a difference.

To the newly quit:  this place works.  Period.  Buy into the program, be a man (or woman) of honor, post roll every day, resist complacency, and get involved.  It is so simple it is almost easy, but it will be the hardest thing that you do.  Lean on your family, your quit group, your friends, and your god... Each will play a significant role in helping you make it.

This is the battle that must be won.  It IS life and death.  Drink the koolaide and embrace freedom, my friends.  It has worked before, and if you let it, it will work for you.

I'll see you all tomorrow.

dc
a huge congrats and thanks for your support in Oct 12

thank you.
Well said, and awesome comma! Dip dreams are a gift for sure. Wow 1,000 days of freedom!
Great post hogs. Good reminder not to get complacent.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
Quote from: SirDerek
Looked for a good place to put this, and this seemed as inspired as any other...

I had a double dip dream the night before 1000.  Dip dream, wake up in panic, back to sleep, re-dream the cave, wake up absolutely convinced...

To me, this is a beautiful comma gift from the nic bitch.  It just reminds me that this fight is never over; that I'm one dip away from rock bottom; that my strength and will (thanks in massive part to KTC) keep me on the right side of the knife edge of survival.

It is easy to forget, but I have been blessed with a long memory with dip.  I still feel the gentle pull late at night, when work stress is high, or when shit gets real.  This is not a sob story, but rather the purest form of a success story.  With help and the meaningful promise of my word, I stare the beast in the eye EVERY DAY and tell it to fuck off.  Some days it is easy, others, hard.  KTC and the members that make it real are the sole constant companion to my resolve.

To the vets, stay strong and stay active.  One word can ma e the difference in a single quit... Can save a life.  Be the hammer, be the supportive shoulder, be the one role model that makes a difference.

To the newly quit:  this place works.  Period.  Buy into the program, be a man (or woman) of honor, post roll every day, resist complacency, and get involved.  It is so simple it is almost easy, but it will be the hardest thing that you do.  Lean on your family, your quit group, your friends, and your god... Each will play a significant role in helping you make it.

This is the battle that must be won.  It IS life and death.  Drink the koolaide and embrace freedom, my friends.  It has worked before, and if you let it, it will work for you.

dc

thank you.
Well said, and awesome comma! Dip dreams are a gift for sure. Wow 1,000 days of freedom!

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »

I had a double dip dream the night before 1000. Dip dream, wake up in panic, back to sleep, re-dream the cave, wake up absolutely convinced...

To me, this is a beautiful comma gift from the nic bitch. It just reminds me that this fight is never over; that I'm one dip away from rock bottom; that my strength and will (thanks in massive part to KTC) keep me on the right side of the knife edge of survival.

It is easy to forget, but I have been blessed with a long memory with dip. I still feel the gentle pull late at night, when work stress is high, or when shit gets real. This is not a sob story, but rather the purest form of a success story. With help and the meaningful promise of my word, I stare the beast in the eye EVERY DAY and tell it to fuck off. Some days it is easy, others, hard. KTC and the members that make it real are the sole constant companion to my resolve.

To the vets, stay strong and stay active. One word can ma e the difference in a single quit... Can save a life. Be the hammer, be the supportive shoulder, be the one role model that makes a difference.

To the newly quit: this place works. Period. Buy into the program, be a man (or woman) of honor, post roll every day, resist complacency, and get involved. It is so simple it is almost easy, but it will be the hardest thing that you do. Lean on your family, your quit group, your friends, and your god... Each will play a significant role in helping you make it.

This is the battle that must be won. It IS life and death. Drink the koolaide and embrace freedom, my friends. It has worked before, and if you let it, it will work for you.

dc

thank you.

Offline dchogs

• Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 16, 2011
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2014, 12:54:00 AM »

I had a double dip dream the night before 1000. Dip dream, wake up in panic, back to sleep, re-dream the cave, wake up absolutely convinced...

To me, this is a beautiful comma gift from the nic bitch. It just reminds me that this fight is never over; that I'm one dip away from rock bottom; that my strength and will (thanks in massive part to KTC) keep me on the right side of the knife edge of survival.

It is easy to forget, but I have been blessed with a long memory with dip. I still feel the gentle pull late at night, when work stress is high, or when shit gets real. This is not a sob story, but rather the purest form of a success story. With help and the meaningful promise of my word, I stare the beast in the eye EVERY DAY and tell it to fuck off. Some days it is easy, others, hard. KTC and the members that make it real are the sole constant companion to my resolve.

To the vets, stay strong and stay active. One word can ma e the difference in a single quit... Can save a life. Be the hammer, be the supportive shoulder, be the one role model that makes a difference.

To the newly quit: this place works. Period. Buy into the program, be a man (or woman) of honor, post roll every day, resist complacency, and get involved. It is so simple it is almost easy, but it will be the hardest thing that you do. Lean on your family, your quit group, your friends, and your god... Each will play a significant role in helping you make it.

This is the battle that must be won. It IS life and death. Drink the koolaide and embrace freedom, my friends. It has worked before, and if you let it, it will work for you.

dc
Quit- 5/16/2011. One day at a time.
HoF- 8/23/2011; 2nd Floor- 12/1/2011; 3rd Floor- 3/10/2012; 4th Floor- 6/18/2012; 5th Floor- 9/27/2012; 6th Floor- 1/4/2013; 7th Floor- 4/14/2013; 8th Floor- 7/23/2013; 9th Floor- 10/31/2013; 10th Floor- 2/8/2014; 11th Floor- 5/19/2014; 12th Floor- 8/27/2014; 13th Floor- 12/5/14; 14th floor- 3/15/15; 15th floor- 6/23/15; 16th floor- 10/1/15; 17th floor- 1/9/16; 18th floor- 4/18/16; 19th floor- 7/26/16; 20th floor- 11/4/16; 21st floor- 2/12/17; 22nd Floor- 5/23/17; 23rd Floor- 8/31/17; 24th Floor- 12/9/17; 25th floor- 3/19/18; 26th floor- 6/27/18; 27th floor- 10/5/18; 28th floor- 1/13/19; 29th foor- 4/22/19; 30th floor- 7/31/19; 31st floor- 11/8/19; 32nd floor- 2/17/20; 33rd floor- 5/27/20; 34th floor- 9/4/20; 35th floor- 12/13/20; 36th floor- 3/23/21; 37th floor- 7/1/21; 38th floor- 10/9/21; 39th floor- 1/17/22; 40th floor- 4/27/22; 41st floor- 8/5/22; 42nd floor- 11/12/22; 43rd floor- 2/20/23; 44th floor- 6/1/23; 45th floor- 9/9/23; 46th floor- 12/18/23; 47th floor- 3/27/24.

"He which hath no stomach to this fight let him depart. But we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers! For he today, that sheds his blood with me, shall always be my brother." (Wm. Shakespeare). For August '11.

Who dares, wins.

Stay quit... it is life or death and that is the undeniable truth.

"To be driven by our appetites alone is slavery, while to obey a law that we have imposed on ourselves is freedom." Rosseau

Offline kkljinc

• Quitter
  • Interests: I love to workout, RUN, and Weights. Hunter and a Fisherman. Golf is my passion.Wife and kids keep me busy.
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Today, I am two years quit.

I donÂ’t say that with any intention to brag on what a badass I am or how much I have this addiction thing figured out; I start with that simply to give the rest of this message some context. I never wrote a HOF speech, and IÂ’d hesitate to even label this as such because it almost implies that I think I know my shit, but IÂ’m guessing itÂ’s about as close as IÂ’ll come to ever writing one (or knowing my shit for that matter).

So, with that housekeeping out of the way, what the fuck have I learned in the last 732 days? I have learned that it is possible to quit chewing tobacco. IÂ’ve learned that it takes laser-like focus and that you have to stay focused for a hell of a lot longer than you think you need to. IÂ’ve learned that quitting gets harder, then easier, than harder, then easier, then so easy you donÂ’t think about it, then so hard it hurts, then easier, then harder, then easier.

ThereÂ’s a rhythm to quitting that is almost like a metronome ticking away on top of a piano. TickÂ… this is easy; tickÂ… holy shit IÂ’m going to kill someone; tickÂ… IÂ’ve got this figured out; tickÂ… IÂ’m sure I could have just one; tickÂ… I canÂ’t believe I almost threw away my quit; tickÂ…

For the first couple of months, the rhythm of quitting is very regular- like a pendulum. The funks are almost laughably predictable (especially to the vets), though that doesnÂ’t make them any easier to avoid or get through. You have the highest highs on one side where you almost forget youÂ’ve ever dipped, followed by a period of focused quit Zen, followed by the back end of the pendulum arc that has the most extreme stress on your quit, followed by that Zen again- rinse repeat. I see it clearly in my headÂ… the top of the arcs are the danger zones, you feel way too good or way too bad. ThatÂ’s when you are most likely to fuck up and dip. The quit Zen, when youÂ’re focused on your quit even though itÂ’s not that hard, is right at the very bottom of that arc.

As you gain a greater volume of days under your quit-belt, the super-regular tick-tick of the quit metronome starts to slow down. Like any pendulum on this good planet, friction starts to slow down the pendulum arm. The highest highs and the lowest lows just arenÂ’t quite so good or so bad. The cycle slows down and you have increasingly more time between your craves, rages, or funks. Eventually, that quit pendulum comes to rest in its natural stateÂ… hanging straight down in that beautiful zone of Zen.

In the last handful of days, IÂ’ve learned that my pendulum is still swinging and that IÂ’m not quit at rest in Zen. Walking home across campus, I noticed the grounds crew mowing the expansive lawns of my school, and I had a beautiful fleeting thought of how awesome it would be to shed the stress of my job for the (seeming) simplicity of mowing grass for a living. Funny thing is that my mind, after almost 2 years of being quit, immediately jumped to me dipping while I engaged in my new imaginary profession. Two years. T-W-O motherfucking Y-E-A-R-S.

So, to those of you that are just now quitting, way to go; this is the best decision you’ve made in a long time. What seems impossible, isn’t. You’ll have your good days and bad, but as the pendulum slows, the time between your funks will gradually increase. At the same time, you’ll feel like a million fucking dollars after 14 days. “I’ve beat this bitch,” you’ll think. I did, and you’ll be just as wrong as I was in thinking that. I’m two years in and can’t declare any kind of victory. Stay vigilant when you feel great, stay strong when you feel like shit. The beauty of the quit pendulum is that you know things will change and that you’ll eventually come to rest in that happy little zone where you don’t have to remind yourself and you don’t have to fight yourself. You’ll just be quit.

Since this is a quasi-HOF-speech, I suppose I'll end it with some gratitude. Of course, my August 11 Quitheads stand front and center at the vanguard of my quit. Each of you have helped me along the way at one time or another, and I honestly couldn't have done it without the Monks of Quit. I'd also like to thank the folks that have let me be their mentor along the way... specifically Jonbags of September 11's pirate horde and Per of October 12's madmen. You, gentlemen, have helped keep me focused during the good times and bad. I'd also like to apologize for slacking in my support of you here; I'm with you both whether I'm posting roll with you or not. Equally important to me are the good folks that were my quit-heros in the early days: 30, Scowick, Razz, Cancrusher, gmann, chewie, NOLAQ, syndrome, rebel, 9, and Souliman. You have no idea how much you've helped me become a better person, father, and husband. And that leads me to the final group to thank, my family. My wife found KTC for me, my kids helped by asking me my quit number at all the right times, and their support, along with everyone else's, has made this quit a continued exercise in success.

See you tomorrow for 733.
Great read, and your a quit bad-ass

Offline dchogs

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
Today, I am two years quit.

I donÂ’t say that with any intention to brag on what a badass I am or how much I have this addiction thing figured out; I start with that simply to give the rest of this message some context. I never wrote a HOF speech, and IÂ’d hesitate to even label this as such because it almost implies that I think I know my shit, but IÂ’m guessing itÂ’s about as close as IÂ’ll come to ever writing one (or knowing my shit for that matter).

So, with that housekeeping out of the way, what the fuck have I learned in the last 732 days? I have learned that it is possible to quit chewing tobacco. IÂ’ve learned that it takes laser-like focus and that you have to stay focused for a hell of a lot longer than you think you need to. IÂ’ve learned that quitting gets harder, then easier, than harder, then easier, then so easy you donÂ’t think about it, then so hard it hurts, then easier, then harder, then easier.

ThereÂ’s a rhythm to quitting that is almost like a metronome ticking away on top of a piano. TickÂ… this is easy; tickÂ… holy shit IÂ’m going to kill someone; tickÂ… IÂ’ve got this figured out; tickÂ… IÂ’m sure I could have just one; tickÂ… I canÂ’t believe I almost threw away my quit; tickÂ…

For the first couple of months, the rhythm of quitting is very regular- like a pendulum. The funks are almost laughably predictable (especially to the vets), though that doesnÂ’t make them any easier to avoid or get through. You have the highest highs on one side where you almost forget youÂ’ve ever dipped, followed by a period of focused quit Zen, followed by the back end of the pendulum arc that has the most extreme stress on your quit, followed by that Zen again- rinse repeat. I see it clearly in my headÂ… the top of the arcs are the danger zones, you feel way too good or way too bad. ThatÂ’s when you are most likely to fuck up and dip. The quit Zen, when youÂ’re focused on your quit even though itÂ’s not that hard, is right at the very bottom of that arc.

As you gain a greater volume of days under your quit-belt, the super-regular tick-tick of the quit metronome starts to slow down. Like any pendulum on this good planet, friction starts to slow down the pendulum arm. The highest highs and the lowest lows just arenÂ’t quite so good or so bad. The cycle slows down and you have increasingly more time between your craves, rages, or funks. Eventually, that quit pendulum comes to rest in its natural stateÂ… hanging straight down in that beautiful zone of Zen.

In the last handful of days, IÂ’ve learned that my pendulum is still swinging and that IÂ’m not quit at rest in Zen. Walking home across campus, I noticed the grounds crew mowing the expansive lawns of my school, and I had a beautiful fleeting thought of how awesome it would be to shed the stress of my job for the (seeming) simplicity of mowing grass for a living. Funny thing is that my mind, after almost 2 years of being quit, immediately jumped to me dipping while I engaged in my new imaginary profession. Two years. T-W-O motherfucking Y-E-A-R-S.

So, to those of you that are just now quitting, way to go; this is the best decision you’ve made in a long time. What seems impossible, isn’t. You’ll have your good days and bad, but as the pendulum slows, the time between your funks will gradually increase. At the same time, you’ll feel like a million fucking dollars after 14 days. “I’ve beat this bitch,” you’ll think. I did, and you’ll be just as wrong as I was in thinking that. I’m two years in and can’t declare any kind of victory. Stay vigilant when you feel great, stay strong when you feel like shit. The beauty of the quit pendulum is that you know things will change and that you’ll eventually come to rest in that happy little zone where you don’t have to remind yourself and you don’t have to fight yourself. You’ll just be quit.

Since this is a quasi-HOF-speech, I suppose I'll end it with some gratitude. Of course, my August 11 Quitheads stand front and center at the vanguard of my quit. Each of you have helped me along the way at one time or another, and I honestly couldn't have done it without the Monks of Quit. I'd also like to thank the folks that have let me be their mentor along the way... specifically Jonbags of September 11's pirate horde and Per of October 12's madmen. You, gentlemen, have helped keep me focused during the good times and bad. I'd also like to apologize for slacking in my support of you here; I'm with you both whether I'm posting roll with you or not. Equally important to me are the good folks that were my quit-heros in the early days: 30, Scowick, Razz, Cancrusher, gmann, chewie, NOLAQ, syndrome, rebel, 9, and Souliman. You have no idea how much you've helped me become a better person, father, and husband. And that leads me to the final group to thank, my family. My wife found KTC for me, my kids helped by asking me my quit number at all the right times, and their support, along with everyone else's, has made this quit a continued exercise in success.

See you tomorrow for 733.
HoF- 8/23/2011; 2nd Floor- 12/1/2011; 3rd Floor- 3/10/2012; 4th Floor- 6/18/2012; 5th Floor- 9/27/2012; 6th Floor- 1/4/2013; 7th Floor- 4/14/2013; 8th Floor- 7/23/2013; 9th Floor- 10/31/2013; 10th Floor- 2/8/2014; 11th Floor- 5/19/2014; 12th Floor- 8/27/2014; 13th Floor- 12/5/14; 14th floor- 3/15/15; 15th floor- 6/23/15; 16th floor- 10/1/15; 17th floor- 1/9/16; 18th floor- 4/18/16; 19th floor- 7/26/16; 20th floor- 11/4/16; 21st floor- 2/12/17; 22nd Floor- 5/23/17; 23rd Floor- 8/31/17; 24th Floor- 12/9/17; 25th floor- 3/19/18; 26th floor- 6/27/18; 27th floor- 10/5/18; 28th floor- 1/13/19; 29th foor- 4/22/19; 30th floor- 7/31/19; 31st floor- 11/8/19; 32nd floor- 2/17/20; 33rd floor- 5/27/20; 34th floor- 9/4/20; 35th floor- 12/13/20; 36th floor- 3/23/21; 37th floor- 7/1/21; 38th floor- 10/9/21; 39th floor- 1/17/22; 40th floor- 4/27/22; 41st floor- 8/5/22; 42nd floor- 11/12/22; 43rd floor- 2/20/23; 44th floor- 6/1/23; 45th floor- 9/9/23; 46th floor- 12/18/23; 47th floor- 3/27/24.

"He which hath no stomach to this fight let him depart. But we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers! For he today, that sheds his blood with me, shall always be my brother." (Wm. Shakespeare). For August '11.

Who dares, wins.

"To be driven by our appetites alone is slavery, while to obey a law that we have imposed on ourselves is freedom." Rosseau

Offline tazmed

• Quitter
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
Quote from: Souliman
Quote from: tazmed
Quote from: magnum9
I don't want to be a doosh or anything and take away from your post but my sick mind read vagina quitters.  :blink:

I was then shocked that Gmann had not found his way in yet.
I figured Gmann hadn't been in a vagina since the day he was born. 'crackup'

Sorry, couldn't let that one pass without comment. B)
Jesus...every time I read this line I laugh out loud. Thank you Taz for being spot on bro.
Glad I could help... 'winker'

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
Quote from: tazmed
I don't want to be a doosh or anything and take away from your post but my sick mind read vagina quitters.  :blink:

Jesus...every time I read this line I laugh out loud. Thank you Taz for being spot on bro.

Offline tazmed

• Quitter
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »

Offline dchogs

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
I don't want to be a doosh or anything and take away from your post but my sick mind read vagina quitters. :blink:

shit. i totally misspelled vagina in my title. good catch magnum.

(and i think we all know why gmann isn't in a thread about vaginas)

Who dares, wins.

Offline magnum9

• Quit Pro
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
I don't want to be a doosh or anything and take away from your post but my sick mind read vagina quitters. :blink:

Offline dchogs

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
Folks in the Virginia area...

Any interest in getting together? Sloop and I will be getting together in the relatively near future (no specific date, but I'm not letting him off the hook), and I'd like to make it a bigger event if possible.

So, if you're a quitter in the greater DC, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia area, give a shout out. Let's sign up below, roll call style, and make it happen. Days don't matter, just gotta be quit...

dchogs... Charlottesville

Who dares, wins.