• Quit Date: May 16, 2011
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: Thanks
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
Magnetic poetry from my first week that I just rediscovered:

Healthy
Blessed freedom.
Believe in myself;
Strength and courage to be worthy of you.
Look now,
I am free.

And her reply:
Celebrate with joy for my love is finally here.

This shit matters. It has been a long time since I've had quit tears, and it feels good.

Proud to be quit with y'all.
Quit- 5/16/2011. One day at a time.
HoF- 8/23/2011; 2nd Floor- 12/1/2011; 3rd Floor- 3/10/2012; 4th Floor- 6/18/2012; 5th Floor- 9/27/2012; 6th Floor- 1/4/2013; 7th Floor- 4/14/2013; 8th Floor- 7/23/2013; 9th Floor- 10/31/2013; 10th Floor- 2/8/2014; 11th Floor- 5/19/2014; 12th Floor- 8/27/2014; 13th Floor- 12/5/14; 14th floor- 3/15/15; 15th floor- 6/23/15; 16th floor- 10/1/15; 17th floor- 1/9/16; 18th floor- 4/18/16; 19th floor- 7/26/16; 20th floor- 11/4/16; 21st floor- 2/12/17; 22nd Floor- 5/23/17; 23rd Floor- 8/31/17; 24th Floor- 12/9/17; 25th floor- 3/19/18; 26th floor- 6/27/18; 27th floor- 10/5/18; 28th floor- 1/13/19; 29th foor- 4/22/19; 30th floor- 7/31/19; 31st floor- 11/8/19; 32nd floor- 2/17/20; 33rd floor- 5/27/20; 34th floor- 9/4/20; 35th floor- 12/13/20; 36th floor- 3/23/21; 37th floor- 7/1/21; 38th floor- 10/9/21; 39th floor- 1/17/22; 40th floor- 4/27/22; 41st floor- 8/5/22; 42nd floor- 11/12/22; 43rd floor- 2/20/23; 44th floor- 6/1/23; 45th floor- 9/9/23; 46th floor- 12/18/23; 47th floor- 3/27/24.

"He which hath no stomach to this fight let him depart. But we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers! For he today, that sheds his blood with me, shall always be my brother." (Wm. Shakespeare). For August '11.

Who dares, wins.

Stay quit... it is life or death and that is the undeniable truth.

"To be driven by our appetites alone is slavery, while to obey a law that we have imposed on ourselves is freedom." Rosseau

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Quote from: Dchogs
it's great revisiting this thread... a lot has changed in the last month plus. daily craves have largely gone away (for now... i'm sure the bitch'll be back), and quit life continues to be good. to those in slumps, it gets better. my worst periods was in the 80's and 160's. the nic bitch must be on an 80 day cycle...

several dipping related experiences this weekend...

1) on my way to memphis for the st. jude's marathon (and associated races), we had some veggies for the car ride. my wife, passing me the ranch, asked me if i wanted a dip. what would normally have launched a series of craves (that i couldn't satisfy in the car with the fam) and a wave of guilt actually allowed me to say, "i haven't had a dip in 200 days, but i'll take some ranch!" wife and kids gave me a round of applause (the 2nd 100 days went faster for all of us!).

2) my family spent the night in knoxville. there, tony gwynn's cancer story came on ESPN. wife and kids both just looked at me and said "we're glad you don't do that anymore." me too.

3) i'm not a runner. i run occasionally, but i'm not a runner. so while my wife and friends were doing the st. judes 1/2 marathon, i did the 5k with my kids and the pregnant women (ouch, right!?!). i'll tell you what... seeing all the families along the side of the race course with signs saying thank you, all the kids that were already cancer survivors thanks to st. jude's, and spending the weekend with a friend's little girl that's beaten her cancer twice and about to start treatment again... i'm not sure what the fuck i was thinking every time i willingly gave myself a dose of carcinogen. st. jude's, the families, and especially the kids are amazing in so many ways. i'm doing it again next year, not only to give me something to train for (at least the 1/2, maybe more) but also to give my quit that extra boost.

4) to all the new quitters out there that might give this a quick read, the most important things i did this weekend while i was away: posting roll and keeping my word.
Good stuff DC. I'm real happy for you bro. I can only imagine that feedback from the kids. Mine are a little too young to understand but I can only imagine.

Keep bringing the megaquit.

Offline miles

• Quit Pro
  • Howdy, I'm Miles and I'm Quit
  • Quit Date: 3/7/2011
  • Interests: My kids, Quitting, Hunting, fishing, motorcycles, MTB, football, racing, baseball, guitar, family, running, Clint Eastwood, Cold Beer, Floating down the river, camping. Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Falcons, Houston Oilers (RIP - Love Ya Blue!)"]["{{}}{{}}][_
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
it's great revisiting this thread... a lot has changed in the last month plus. daily craves have largely gone away (for now... i'm sure the bitch'll be back), and quit life continues to be good. to those in slumps, it gets better. my worst periods was in the 80's and 160's. the nic bitch must be on an 80 day cycle...

1) on my way to memphis for the st. jude's marathon (and associated races), we had some veggies for the car ride. my wife, passing me the ranch, asked me if i wanted a dip. what would normally have launched a series of craves (that i couldn't satisfy in the car with the fam) and a wave of guilt actually allowed me to say, "i haven't had a dip in 200 days, but i'll take some ranch!" wife and kids gave me a round of applause (the 2nd 100 days went faster for all of us!).

2) my family spent the night in knoxville. there, tony gwynn's cancer story came on ESPN. wife and kids both just looked at me and said "we're glad you don't do that anymore." me too.

3) i'm not a runner. i run occasionally, but i'm not a runner. so while my wife and friends were doing the st. judes 1/2 marathon, i did the 5k with my kids and the pregnant women (ouch, right!?!). i'll tell you what... seeing all the families along the side of the race course with signs saying thank you, all the kids that were already cancer survivors thanks to st. jude's, and spending the weekend with a friend's little girl that's beaten her cancer twice and about to start treatment again... i'm not sure what the fuck i was thinking every time i willingly gave myself a dose of carcinogen. st. jude's, the families, and especially the kids are amazing in so many ways. i'm doing it again next year, not only to give me something to train for (at least the 1/2, maybe more) but also to give my quit that extra boost.

4) to all the new quitters out there that might give this a quick read, the most important things i did this weekend while i was away: posting roll and keeping my word.
Right on Brother...item #4 is ALWAYS the most important thing.

Keep it going and congrats on that 200...I'm less than a month away from 300 and I can't believe how fast time flies.

I will never forget...I will post roll...I will hold my brothers accountable....I will expect the same in return.

Thanks for your commitment to KTC, your quit Bro's  yourself. Proud to be quit with you today DChogs!
I quit with with you all!

Offline nicofiend

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »

Read it brother! Thanks for sharing.

Offline dchogs

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »

HoF- 8/23/2011; 2nd Floor- 12/1/2011; 3rd Floor- 3/10/2012; 4th Floor- 6/18/2012; 5th Floor- 9/27/2012; 6th Floor- 1/4/2013; 7th Floor- 4/14/2013; 8th Floor- 7/23/2013; 9th Floor- 10/31/2013; 10th Floor- 2/8/2014; 11th Floor- 5/19/2014; 12th Floor- 8/27/2014; 13th Floor- 12/5/14; 14th floor- 3/15/15; 15th floor- 6/23/15; 16th floor- 10/1/15; 17th floor- 1/9/16; 18th floor- 4/18/16; 19th floor- 7/26/16; 20th floor- 11/4/16; 21st floor- 2/12/17; 22nd Floor- 5/23/17; 23rd Floor- 8/31/17; 24th Floor- 12/9/17; 25th floor- 3/19/18; 26th floor- 6/27/18; 27th floor- 10/5/18; 28th floor- 1/13/19; 29th foor- 4/22/19; 30th floor- 7/31/19; 31st floor- 11/8/19; 32nd floor- 2/17/20; 33rd floor- 5/27/20; 34th floor- 9/4/20; 35th floor- 12/13/20; 36th floor- 3/23/21; 37th floor- 7/1/21; 38th floor- 10/9/21; 39th floor- 1/17/22; 40th floor- 4/27/22; 41st floor- 8/5/22; 42nd floor- 11/12/22; 43rd floor- 2/20/23; 44th floor- 6/1/23; 45th floor- 9/9/23; 46th floor- 12/18/23; 47th floor- 3/27/24.

"He which hath no stomach to this fight let him depart. But we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers! For he today, that sheds his blood with me, shall always be my brother." (Wm. Shakespeare). For August '11.

Who dares, wins.

"To be driven by our appetites alone is slavery, while to obey a law that we have imposed on ourselves is freedom." Rosseau

Offline AgLawyer

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Travelin, hikin, liftin and quittin
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Quote from: Ready
Quote from: Aglawyer
Quote from: Souliman
Quote from: razd611
day 165

not sure how true this is, but it is something i was pondering on a long drive yesterday.

there's a certain about of shit that you have to go through in order to be quit.  it's not necessarily a set amount that's the same for everyone, but i think that a quit requires a certain amount of "skin," so to speak. 

the reason this is on my mind is that i'm STILL (on day 165) having daily craves, significant craves.  on the drive out to richmond yesterday, the fact that i posted roll was literally the only thing that kept that shit out of my mouth.  my quit is strong enough to fight these craves, but they're fucking worse than i experience in my first two weeks (at least as i remember them... the mind sometimes looks back on history too fondly).  if it wasn't for this site, i'd be using again.  guaranteed.

so, back to the "skin" thought... my early quit was pretty easy compared to what i saw other folks going through.  i didn't crave all that much, and those craves were easy for a new quitter to get through.  the other folks were freaking out... staying quit but freaking out.  they went all in early; i didn't have to.

now, i think the nic bitch is seeing how serious i really am.  she didn't test me all that much early, but she's not fucking around now.  the other folks that had to really man up early, she knows they're quit.  i'm still an unknown to her, i guess, and she wants to break me.

not sure if that's valid or if it's just me rationalizing my personal experience.  in any case, my current experience definitely highlights the need for folks to post roll after they hit the hall.  you never know when you'll need that extra something that keeping your word provides, and it's better to post roll and not need it than to skip a day and leave the door cracked open just a bit.
Never leave a crack in your fortress. Almost any enemy can find your weakness given the proper opportunity.

I was still having a pretty rough go of it about where you are. It lasted well into the two hundreds for me.

I know you hear this all them time. It will keep getting easier and much better.

I do still have an occasional crave ( once a month maybe). But they are nowhere near as strong or as long lasting as they used to be. It's more like a passing thought.

About three or four weeks ago I was watching TV with the Mrs' and one came over me and I said wow hun, I just had a feeling of wanting a dip, she looked at me and said you don't do that anymore. To which I said you are right and it was gone. Just like that.

Given enough time, it will become so for you as well. Your doing great. Hang in there and just remember..........Never Again!!!!
thanks, raz.

you're right about leaving cracks open... can't do it and stay quit. fortunately, i know i'm quit, so i look at my craves with an almost academic interest. why they're happening, why they're intensifying, etc.

even at my weakest moment now, i'm rock solid in my quit, and if i don't feel that confident, i have a plan to enact. i'm pretty sure soul, per, corn, and razz ain't going to say having one's okay. :)
YOU BET YOUR FUCKING ASS IT AIN'T OKAY.

You're a fucking gladiator of quit DC. When the coliseum of quit gets erected, there will be carvings of great battles with the nic bitch. I'm certain you'll have a few up on the wall.
For what it's worth, I haven't had a serious crave in years. A passing thought on occasion. That's about it.

It gets so much better.

I protect my quit everyday by posting roll. But it is so much easier these days. Not trying to brag, just letting you know it gets to the point where it seems natural that you are quit for good.
Not even a trigger-related fleeting crave? Nada?
The worst I get is a passing thought every several months. lasts a few seconds. I laugh at myself for even thinking about and by that time it has passed.
Nice. Look forward to those days. They are fleeting and bullshit but it will be nice - one day - to get to a point where they do not enter the ol' noggin.

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Quote from: Aglawyer
day 165

not sure how true this is, but it is something i was pondering on a long drive yesterday.

there's a certain about of shit that you have to go through in order to be quit.  it's not necessarily a set amount that's the same for everyone, but i think that a quit requires a certain amount of "skin," so to speak. 

the reason this is on my mind is that i'm STILL (on day 165) having daily craves, significant craves.  on the drive out to richmond yesterday, the fact that i posted roll was literally the only thing that kept that shit out of my mouth.  my quit is strong enough to fight these craves, but they're fucking worse than i experience in my first two weeks (at least as i remember them... the mind sometimes looks back on history too fondly).  if it wasn't for this site, i'd be using again.  guaranteed.

so, back to the "skin" thought... my early quit was pretty easy compared to what i saw other folks going through.  i didn't crave all that much, and those craves were easy for a new quitter to get through.  the other folks were freaking out... staying quit but freaking out.  they went all in early; i didn't have to.

now, i think the nic bitch is seeing how serious i really am.  she didn't test me all that much early, but she's not fucking around now.  the other folks that had to really man up early, she knows they're quit.  i'm still an unknown to her, i guess, and she wants to break me.

not sure if that's valid or if it's just me rationalizing my personal experience.  in any case, my current experience definitely highlights the need for folks to post roll after they hit the hall.  you never know when you'll need that extra something that keeping your word provides, and it's better to post roll and not need it than to skip a day and leave the door cracked open just a bit.
Never leave a crack in your fortress. Almost any enemy can find your weakness given the proper opportunity.

I was still having a pretty rough go of it about where you are. It lasted well into the two hundreds for me.

I know you hear this all them time. It will keep getting easier and much better.

I do still have an occasional crave ( once a month maybe). But they are nowhere near as strong or as long lasting as they used to be. It's more like a passing thought.

About three or four weeks ago I was watching TV with the Mrs' and one came over me and I said wow hun, I just had a feeling of wanting a dip, she looked at me and said you don't do that anymore. To which I said you are right and it was gone. Just like that.

Given enough time, it will become so for you as well. Your doing great. Hang in there and just remember..........Never Again!!!!
thanks, raz.

you're right about leaving cracks open... can't do it and stay quit. fortunately, i know i'm quit, so i look at my craves with an almost academic interest. why they're happening, why they're intensifying, etc.

even at my weakest moment now, i'm rock solid in my quit, and if i don't feel that confident, i have a plan to enact. i'm pretty sure soul, per, corn, and razz ain't going to say having one's okay. :)

You're a fucking gladiator of quit DC. When the coliseum of quit gets erected, there will be carvings of great battles with the nic bitch. I'm certain you'll have a few up on the wall.
For what it's worth, I haven't had a serious crave in years. A passing thought on occasion. That's about it.

It gets so much better.

I protect my quit everyday by posting roll. But it is so much easier these days. Not trying to brag, just letting you know it gets to the point where it seems natural that you are quit for good.
The worst I get is a passing thought every several months. lasts a few seconds. I laugh at myself for even thinking about and by that time it has passed.

Offline AgLawyer

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Travelin, hikin, liftin and quittin
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
day 165

thanks, raz.

It gets so much better.

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
day 165

thanks, raz.

It gets so much better.

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
day 165

thanks, raz.

Offline dchogs

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
day 165

thanks, raz.

Who dares, wins.

Offline RAZD611

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Untied and Unfiltered
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, Hunting, Sports.
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
day 165

there's a certain about of shit that you have to go through in order to be quit. it's not necessarily a set amount that's the same for everyone, but i think that a quit requires a certain amount of "skin," so to speak.

the reason this is on my mind is that i'm STILL (on day 165) having daily craves, significant craves. on the drive out to richmond yesterday, the fact that i posted roll was literally the only thing that kept that shit out of my mouth. my quit is strong enough to fight these craves, but they're fucking worse than i experience in my first two weeks (at least as i remember them... the mind sometimes looks back on history too fondly). if it wasn't for this site, i'd be using again. guaranteed.

so, back to the "skin" thought... my early quit was pretty easy compared to what i saw other folks going through. i didn't crave all that much, and those craves were easy for a new quitter to get through. the other folks were freaking out... staying quit but freaking out. they went all in early; i didn't have to.

now, i think the nic bitch is seeing how serious i really am. she didn't test me all that much early, but she's not fucking around now. the other folks that had to really man up early, she knows they're quit. i'm still an unknown to her, i guess, and she wants to break me.

not sure if that's valid or if it's just me rationalizing my personal experience. in any case, my current experience definitely highlights the need for folks to post roll after they hit the hall. you never know when you'll need that extra something that keeping your word provides, and it's better to post roll and not need it than to skip a day and leave the door cracked open just a bit.

Never Again For Any Reason

Hurt Feelings Report
https://ibb.co/NCwvw7t

Offline dchogs

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
day 165

there's a certain about of shit that you have to go through in order to be quit. it's not necessarily a set amount that's the same for everyone, but i think that a quit requires a certain amount of "skin," so to speak.

the reason this is on my mind is that i'm STILL (on day 165) having daily craves, significant craves. on the drive out to richmond yesterday, the fact that i posted roll was literally the only thing that kept that shit out of my mouth. my quit is strong enough to fight these craves, but they're fucking worse than i experience in my first two weeks (at least as i remember them... the mind sometimes looks back on history too fondly). if it wasn't for this site, i'd be using again. guaranteed.

so, back to the "skin" thought... my early quit was pretty easy compared to what i saw other folks going through. i didn't crave all that much, and those craves were easy for a new quitter to get through. the other folks were freaking out... staying quit but freaking out. they went all in early; i didn't have to.

now, i think the nic bitch is seeing how serious i really am. she didn't test me all that much early, but she's not fucking around now. the other folks that had to really man up early, she knows they're quit. i'm still an unknown to her, i guess, and she wants to break me.

not sure if that's valid or if it's just me rationalizing my personal experience. in any case, my current experience definitely highlights the need for folks to post roll after they hit the hall. you never know when you'll need that extra something that keeping your word provides, and it's better to post roll and not need it than to skip a day and leave the door cracked open just a bit.

Who dares, wins.

Offline dchogs

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
Rick,

Thanks so much for all of those links and suggestions. I'm traveling right now and about ready to dive into a meeting (and can't post more), but I'll be in touch via PM.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your help too, Syndrome!

Proud to be quit with you guys...

dch

Who dares, wins.

Offline Ricko

• Quitter
  • Interests: Start projects that I do not finish... Bonfires in the back yard.
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
I am so excited I have a new best friend in Quit. For what ever reason I kind of took a 50 or so day vacation from KTC, Syndrome texted me about your post and then Butch asked me to post for him and yea I am back in. So first start with what you know about what your up against. Here is your state's grade: http://www.stateoftobaccocontrol.org/st ... /virginia/

Texas is not any better.

I am a high school counselor and I was very fortunate that I could go into my office when I quit and shut the door. I chewed for 23 years and I was a complete mess. I squirreled away cans all over the place in my desk, in my file cabinets, behind bookshelves in the Library, I kept finding them.

about two weeks in I was have having a really bad day and our quarterback had come in to talk to me about college, but I basically unloaded all my grief of dipping to him. Luckily we had a great relationship and he knew that dipping sucked and could see people struggle with it so he was a great support for me and others became great support as well. I really wanted to fix every body and not let anyone dip. that part did not work out so well.

So I made it through my first year dip free and so at the beginning of last school year, I was determined to make a difference in hopefully deterring people from starting tobacco, chewing or smoking.

At first I really had no support from anyone, it was going to be another distraction from testing and curriculum stuff. (They cover it in health class and that is enough.) I signed up for a kick butts day at their website: http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/what_we_ ... butts_day/ , This has been a really helpful website for me and others. It sparked lots of interest and because the State of Texas mandated that schools start public messages against bullying, tobacco, and alcohol, I got some support because nobody else really had to do anything.

My most favorite of all clubs I have come across is the REBEL clubs of New Jersey. http://www.monroetwp.k12.nj.us/HighSchool/Clubs/REBEL/

The name is catchy, the wording is great, and the target audience are a bunch of Rebels that need a voice.

I have tried several times to form an accountability program for students in need in a group setting, but without much success, but I have found that as I have put myself out there as a person people can talk to about withdrawals and facts of tobacco I have been sought out by students.

The catchy posters that are available from state programs are very helpful. I have a couple of extra ones I do not mind sending you. my email at work is richard.armstrong@cfisd.net send me your mailing address at school and I will ship them to you.

When you let everyone around you know what your doing, then your accountability circle gets really big.

I quit because I was sick of being a slave to nic. My own kids (three daughters are my biggest cheerleaders).