Author Topic: Quitting while I am still young  (Read 3093 times)

Offline shanelax22

• Quitter
  • Interests: College Lacrosse player, fishing, running, biking, hiking, shooting, golf
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Quitting while I am still young
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
You all are right, saving my life is my number one goal and the friends I chose are a big part of a successful quit. I am going to work hard at it, because quitting is my number one focus.

Offline ktb1764

• Quitter
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
Shane -

As soon as you drag your butt out of bed, post roll. It only takes a minute - one minute a day to save your life -- sounds like a hell of a deal to me.

You really need to think about your choice of friends. These guys apparently have no respect whatsoever for your decision. As others have said, they are actually scared to death of your quit.

You're out here swimming for your life; you don't need any friends who are tossing anchors to you. You need people like those around here who really give a damn about your quit. That's right, even though we've never set eyes on you and may never do so, we care more about your quit and your future than your "friends." Sit them all down, when they are sober, and tell them (1) I am quit (2) Don't offer me any of that shit you are thowing in your face (3) Respect my decision. If they can't agree to those simple rules, walk away. - they're not worth your time.

Proud to be quit with you.
Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Your roll post should be the first thing you do every morning !! Nothing is more important than your quit right now. NOTHING!

If you want to post daily you can. I have stories from quitters here that post from anywhere you can imagine. If you make it your priority to post, you will.

As far as your friends offering you a dip. Here is how I would address that situation:

1. When said dip is offered say "sure"
2. Take the can, pack it up nicely
3. Take the lid off
4. Dump the shit on the ground
5. Hand empty can back to your "friend" and follow up with.

I told you I am quit, now stop fucking with me. When you grow a pair you will quit too. Until then never offer that shit to me again. Walk away knowing you are a bad ass quitter...

Greg

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Shane...Don't ever back yourself into the corner. Protect your quit. Have a plan. Post roll first thing.

You just learned something- that you cannot trust your friends. They feel inadequate because of your quit, they want you back on their level. My advice is to stay away from them...make some new KTC friends.

Offline shanelax22

• Quitter
  • Interests: College Lacrosse player, fishing, running, biking, hiking, shooting, golf
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Everyone,

Thank you for your reply and helping me get through this. I know I am being a big fucking vagina about this, but it really was just a tough situation. I was not drinking last night, and I knew very well what exactly was going to happen. My friends tried the whole you have only been quit for 20 days, just take a dip with me and I didn't do it, I told them I quit and just one would turn into one all fucking day again. I am sorry I haven't made many posts on this site and I am sorry I have missed some role calls. It was fucking stupid of me, and there really is no excuse. My mind still is in the right place and I AM quit. I understand why most of you were harsh and I deserve all of it. 'Although I do not post as much as I would like to because I am not by my computer much and I do not have a smart phone, I do think about the site ass the time and I do read and use the sources. Thanks again and sorry for being an ignorant fuck. I just want you all to know I am still quit.

Offline kd5fic

• Quitter
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Shane,

Why are we even having this problem...You are quit, dammit! Never Again! Your quit is too new to deal with that kind of pressure...Tell your friends to FUCK THE FUCK OFF for now!

I hope this is not foreshadowing of a planned cave! You are stronger than this shit, now just prove it!
13th Floor 07/23/2014
12th Floor 04/14/2014
11th floor 01/04/2014
3 years - 12/31/2013
The COMMA - 10th floor 09/26/2013
9 th floor 06/18/2013
8th Floor 03/10/2013
2 years 12/31/2012
7th Floor 11/30/12
6th Floor 8/22/12
5th Floor 5/14/12
4th Floor 2/4/12
1 year - 12/31/2011
3rd floor 10/27/2011
2nd floor 07/19/2011
HOF: 04/10/2011
QD: 01/01/2011
HOF Speech

Offline dogbreath

• Quitter
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing, professional HVAC installations. Riding horses, shoeing horses and bordercollies.
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Shane I started dipping when I was 16 and quit cold turkey when I was 21. I went over 11 years with very little if any dip. I met up with one of my old friends when I was 34 and he offered me dip. I dipped for 4 more years. I am here now on day 37. I am just saying that one leads to another then another.
Quit-August 11, 2012

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Shane,

The questions that come to mind are numerous...21 days...28 posts...Only 15 posts in March 2012, 3 missed roll calls not including today, A failure to have a plan for winter break, a desperate post at 3am- which did not include a roll call post and I wonder if you even had any numbers? And if you had numbers did you use them? Did you spend any time reading here? Were you drinking with your buddies when you posted that? If you were drinking, did you not see the numerous warnings that were posted here? Did you get involved with the people here- the people that could influence you to stay quit?

You don't want this bad enough. _

PS...you remember THIS post from your other intro? You knew this was going to be a problem. And yet you put yourself in harms way. A failure to plan is to plan to fail.
Quote from: 30yrAddict
Quote from: 30yrAddict
Quote from: shanelax22
I just picked up a couple cans of smokey mountain so hopefully this helps out a little bit.  Okay so I will be going back home for winter break from college and most of my friends back home still chew.  They will be chewing all the time around me.  Any suggestions on what to do there besides not chew?
Take some smokey mountain....maybe even be a "quit evangelist" ;) Bring your cell phone....if you are struggling- use your numbers! Tell your friends about your quit and ask that they don't offer you one. Stare at them spitting in their spitters, drooling on their chins...look at how silly they look with a wad in...and revel in the fact that you have the biggest balls in the group!
and DONT GET DRUNK WITH THEM! too early in your quit for that bro....

Offline dogbreath

• Quitter
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing, professional HVAC installations. Riding horses, shoeing horses and bordercollies.
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Shane we talked here close to 20 days ago. Don't let them talk you into dipping. I know how stubborn these North Carolina people can be. I have actually got two of my coworkers who I never dreamed would stop to talk about quitting. Just do a search of the ingredients of smokeless and see if you want to put nuclear waste or uranium 235 used to make nuclear weapons between your cheek and gum.
Quit-August 11, 2012

Offline leeron

• Master of Quit
  • I Quit Like A Maniac Today
  • Quit Date: 11/28/2011
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
I told my friends who dip this:
If I try to bum a dip from you, kick me in balls as hard as you can.
If you try to wave that shit in my face to mess with me, I will kick you in the balls as hard as I can.

Shake on it!

Shane, don't throw this away man. Our group is stronger if you stay. If you throw this away the next time you think about quitting may be when your dentists discovers a suspicious sore in your mouth. Make your choice.
Tomorrow marks the 9 year anniversary of you being gone. I can't believe all that has happened since you have been gone, 3 of the 4 have graduated high school, 2 of the 4 graduated college, 1 had a baby, we all have jobs, we all got our licenses. I honestly never thought I would make it this far. I so wish that you could be here with me, Alexa, Connor, and Tori. Seeing all of the things we have accomlished...and everything that we still have yet to accomplish. Graduating high school, moving in at college, graduating college, having kids, buying a house, baseball games, first jobs, first girlfriends/boyfriends. I know that you are proud of each and everyone of us, but I/we need to hear it from you. We want you to be here to tell us "Nice pitch", "Congratulations on graduating", "Have I told you I loved you yet today?" (which Kenra and I try to do everyday now :)) It is sometimes just hard to get through the day. And to think...all this over a stupid dip...who would have thought?

Kenzi Kern (from 06/11/2013, 9 years after her father died from this horrible addiction)

Tom Kern CaringBridge Guestbook

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
The average addict musters the confidence to challenge their addiction about once every three years, at which time roughly 1 in 20 will succeed in breaking free for an entire year due to thoughts just like yours. " I can have one" I can dip just for the weekend"" I can quit whenever I want to." These horrible recovery statistics evenutally result in half of us dying by our own hand, with male users losing an average of 13 years of life expectancy and females losing 14 years. Our senseless self-destruction is undeniable visible evidence of denial's depth, and the power of this addiction. The addiction insulated us from the extreme price being paid with each and every puff or pinch - a little more of life itself taken.

Sadly for far too many the three years between recovery attempts will be too long. According to the World Health Organization the next three years will cost 15 million of our brother and sister addicts their lives. This is where you need to be ! It will be tough, you will have to endure some pain but it can be done. You have stopped today, do not make the mistake of re-starting. Who knows when you will get another chance. As a former can to can and a half a day user I can attest to the fact that this site and the methods here do work. You have a choice to make today, another try in three years may be too late.

Offline dforbes

• Quitter
    • theratsnake.com
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
Hang tough...your FRIENDS should all understand. Make sure you tell them that you are quit. Be quit. Stay quit. Think about how hard it will be to start all over again, 3 weeks down the fucking toilet. Your reward for being quit is freedom, not to dip over break because you can't stand up to FRIENDS. HTFU and keep your promise.
Don't be a pussy....just for TODAY.
"the only thing dip does for you is relieve the symptoms of not having any" - theo
Follow some of by BS at Quit4Today Blog
To my dear friend Ken.....I miss you man. Only Way One Should Live
The Rat Snake - A Tribute Race

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
30 is right on. Your addicted self is telling you to dip. Read this, it is called the law of addiction. It is as true as the law of gravity. http://www.killthecan.org/robs/law.asp

My experience has been that all users deep down envy quitters. Your brain is saying take one, their brain is saying Damn, I wished is was quit. Just watch. Let your quit grow. Once your friends know you are serious they very well may say something to you. I have a friend that uses and would love to quit. He just does not have the courage yet.

Stay quit friend.

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
So many have gone down that road to the slaughter...your addict mind is telling you the lie that you can always quit again. The truth of the matter is: every time I relapsed it took years to "try again". Shane- there is no more just one. You are quit. You are going to do whatever it takes to stay that way. If that means going without the friends that dip over the next month, then that is what it is. You will have your whole life to hang out with friends. Don't shorten that life with cancer.

Offline Frazzled

• Eternal Quitters
  • Master of Quit
  • 1/3/2011
  • Quit Date: 1/3/2011
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
Quote from: shanelax22
Coming home for winter break from college is probably one of the hardest parts of my quit.  All of my friends back home dip and I am the only one who has decided to quit.  Every second of every day I have been constantly thinking about chew and each second has been a complete struggle.  One side of me keeps saying, just dip with your friends over break and then you can quit as soon as you head back to school.  The other side doesn't want to lose the three weeks of hell I have gone through to get this far.
Being quit does not take Christmas break. You are either quit or not.

Kill the can means to murder it for today. Kill it today, remain quit, and then rinse and repeat tomorrow. If your friends don't care about your decision, then what kind of friends are they?

Sorry to sound harsh, but think about how quickly this shit can kill you. Are you willing to let it seep back into your life and hold you in chains again, or are you going to be free as you are today?

Better yet, tell your friends about this site and get them to quit, or tell them to pound sand.

Use your numbers, look at the contract to give up being quit, use Chat, do whatever you have to do to keep from falling. You can do this. Need a number? PM me and it is yours.

~Frazz
Quit Date 1/3/11
Floor 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37