Author Topic: Day 140 and counting  (Read 29581 times)

Offline Buckeye64

• Quitter
  • Interests: I love working out, smashing faces at work and being the best husband and father I can be to my gorgeous family.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Day 140 and counting
« Reply #148 on: December 25, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
Greg,

Shopping sux...especially last minute. Woman's jeans are some of the most difficult items to buy. Way to wait unit the last minute.
'na na'

Congrats on 420, you're an example for all of us newbies. Keep it up. You strengthen my quit!

Buckeye64

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #147 on: December 25, 2010, 01:17:00 AM »
Day 420

Back in Oklahoma. As usual I did no Christmas shopping prior to arriving back home so I had to head out this morning to do all of my shopping. I was prepared for a LONG day of dodging old ladies and screaming kids. To my surprise the day was un-eventful, with the exception of trying to fully understand how in the hell womens clothing is sized. Is it really necessary to have 3 fucking identifiers for the same piece of clothing ??

Mrs. Greg likes to wear Levi's. Not any Levi mind you, I was given very specific instructions on the make, model, size, etc. so here is what I was looking for. Levi's 518's, Size 9, Medium. Seems fairly simple right ? Ended up not being as simple as you might think.

I get to the jean aisle and begin my search. First of all I am not certain how many different styles of Levi's there actually are but 518's are obviously rare, I searched row after row looking for the elusive 518 model. Well finally as I am about to track down one of the sloths that work at the store I finally locate them. With hope renewed I start to scan the stacks of 518's to find the size 9's. Got em, now onto the Medium part. Well to my surprise Medium does not mean just Medium. There is Medium short, Medium Long, Medium Low rise, Medium relaxed fit, Medium boot cut. Really ?

Ok so now I am totally lost. How the hell can you have Medium short and Medium long? Where the hell are the just Medium jeans ? What kind of evil shit is this? I just want to buy my wife a pair of jeans for the love of god !! So I sort through my options and finally decide to settle on the 518, Size 9, Medium Low rise. If that is not right then I will just take my beatings and call it even. I should just give her handfulls of cash.

One item off the list!! Next item.... Bras. God help me.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
I am on my way to Cincinnati today. I should get there around 6PM. If anyone wants to meet up for a beer let me know.

I will be in the car all day and no access to the internet after this post but I will check the site when I get to the Hotel.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
I am going to be in the Morton/Peoria Illinois area plenty over the next few weeks. We are opening a shop there. I will be there tomorrow evening through Wednesday. I will be there the entire week of Jan 3-7.

If anyone wants to meet up for lunch or dinner let me know....

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
Did You Know? Every day, more than 3,500 kids in the U.S. try tobacco for the first time.....

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
The tobacco industry spends more than $12.4 billion per year - over $34.1 million a day - marketing its deadly products in the U.S. alone, much of this reaching kids.

34.1 Million dollars PER DAY !!!!! WTF ??

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Newbies,
If you are having trouble staying quit or deciding if you want to quit then read the article below.

Make sure you pay attention to the tactics used by Big Tobacco... For fuck sake sending kids ( 9, 10, 11...years old ) free cans ? Making Cherry flavored tobacco with less Nic so the kids could " get used" to the product.

Hard to believe I gave those fucks as much of my money as I did.. NEVER AGAIN FOR ANY REASON !!!

Tobacco Company Pays $5M In Groundbreaking Case

Settlement is nationÂ’s first involving smokeless product
By THOMAS B. SCHEFFEY

Kelly June Hill, Executrix, et al. v. U.S. Smokeless Tobacco: The Altria Group, successor to tobacco marketer United States Smokeless Tobacco of Greenwich, has settled for $5 million a lawsuit filed by the estate of a North Carolina man who died of tongue cancer.

The worker, Bobby Hill, initially went to an Ashville, N.C., lawyer, who referred his case to BridgeportÂ’s Koskoff, Koskoff  Bieder. Partners Antonio Ponvert III and Christopher Bernard launched a state court wrongful death action in Connecticut.
From the beginning, Ponvert said, Hill and his family wanted to draw attention to the danger of “dipping snuff” and to discourage youngsters from starting its addictive use.

“It’s the first time a plaintiff has won a wrongful death chewing tobacco verdict or settlement in the history of the industry,” said Ponvert. Altria, based in Richmond, Va., also owns Philip Morris, and has a corporate policy of not settling any individual consumer cases, he added. Altria Group spokesman Steve Callahan said, “U.S. Smokeless Tobacco is honoring an agreement it made in this case prior to its acquisition by Altria….We have no current intention to settle cases like this in the future.”

Historically, the tobacco industry has fiercely defended itself in the courts. And for decades, it denied that tobacco is addictive or a health risk. More recently, it has maintained that people know the risks of tobacco and they should take personal responsibility if they use it. In the industry, a no-settlement rule is standard.

But Bobby Hill, said Ponvert, “was an almost ideal client. Bobby Hill was 13 years old when he started using. He became addicted to this product when he was a child, long before warning labels were put on [packages] in 1987.” That fact, Ponvert said, “destroyed any personal responsibility-type defense that the industry likes to use.” The defendant retained five defense firms, including New York-based Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher  Flohm, and Winston  Strawn, with local counsel duties handled by Wiggin and Dana, in New Haven.
Attorney David S. Golub, of StamfordÂ’s Silver, Golub  Teitel, has handled other lawsuits against the tobacco industry, and was clearly impressed by the Altria settlement.

“This is unprecedented and amazing. There has never been, to my knowledge, a time when a tobacco company has settled a case. It’s fabulous lawyering, and a wonderful result,” Golub told the Law Tribune. “Every tobacco company fights tooth and nail, because they’re afraid that if they settle one case, they can never again say they won’t settle. This is groundbreaking.”

Smokeless tobacco, or snuff, comes in small cans and is sold under brand names such as Skoal or Copenhagen. It comes in a variety of “cuts,” which describe the lengths of the tobacco strands. The tobacco sits between the user’s cheek and gum. It’s different from chewing tobacco, which is a much longer cut that is literally chewed.

One previous snuff case has gone to trial. An Oklahoma plaintiff, Sean Marsee, contracted mouth cancer in the late 1980s after five years of chewing tobacco use, and USST medical experts testified that tumors caused by “dipping snuff” took 20 years to develop. The suit seeking $147 million resulted in a defense verdict for USST.

“Bobby Hill used for 20 years, so we would have been able to use their experts in the Marsee case against them here,” said Ponvert. The attorney said the needs of Hill’s widow and two children, 11 and 14, made a settlement for $5 million seem like a wiser course than holding out for more at trial – or maybe nothing. The process of reaching the settlement stage was long and rocky, requiring extensive discovery work and research.

In a 2002 deposition, USST Chairman and CEO Louis Bantle was questioned in another case, and he explained why some 12 million documents in USST files were stamped confidential. Under oath, he conceded they didn’t contain formulas or other business secrets. “A couple of years ago,” Bantle said, “a whole lot of lawyers came to company headquarters and they stamped ‘confidential’ on every single document we had in our possession, whether they were or not.” Ponvert said discovery was challenging, “for the opposite reason one would think.” The plaintiffs “got half a million pages of documents, which made searching them quite interesting. We found some stuff that was out of this world.”

Letters From Children
Some of the most significant material, said Ponvert, was in a cache of internal correspondence from young customers, aged 9 to 18, written between1978 and 1985. “We found about 50 letters from children to the company, and children’s letters would say, `I am 9 [or 10, 11, 14 or 15] years old, and have been using your product.” The kids had complaints and suggestions. “One was, ‘Please don’t raise the price on Skoal, because I only get $5 in allowance, and can’t afford the seven cans a week that I need,’” Ponvert recounted. “They’d say, ‘I really like the mint flavor, could you make it in a different cut?’

Those letters would be sent to the United States Smokeless Tobacco headquarters in Greenwich. According to the lawyers, a letter would be back to the child saying: “Thank you for your comments. We’ll consider your suggestions, and here are five free cans of Skoal.” After it became illegal to send tobacco to children in the late 1980s, the company sent young teens complimentary can openers and lids to keep their snuff moist and fresh.

Company correspondence supported a plan to introduce candy-flavored Skoal “Bandits” to hook young customers. “Bandits” are ground tobacco and flavorings placed in a tea bag-like fabric, with less nicotine so the beginner wouldn’t get too sick, Ponvert said.

“They had this very Machiavellian strategy to entice people into the market and keep them as they became more tolerant to the drug,” he said. “It’s well known that the average age for starting to use smokeless tobacco is between 9 and 11 years old. So it’s a product that’s designed for kids, and is being used by and sold to kids.”

Altria Group obtained USST in 2009. On the Altria web site, the company emphasizes its commitment to prevent underage children from purchasing tobacco products. Its charts show the use of smoking tobacco products is declining. However, smokeless tobacco products remain popular, and may be on the rise, the charts indicate.
In some quarters, smokeless tobacco is touted as a less-lethal way to consume tobacco than smoking. But, Ponvert said, young people need to comprehend fully the potentially gruesome results.

“One of our experts described dying by mouth cancer as `death by autopsy,’” Ponvert said. “Literally, over a 10- or 12-month period, your face just falls away. At first, [Hill] lost part of his tongue. Then they took his whole tongue. Then it takes part of your jaw, and your cheeks and your gums. Then the tumor wound its way around his carotid artery and he died.” •

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
Nicotine Junkie
Are you a nicotine junkie? The one attribute that shows the addictive nature of nicotine is not how hard or how easy it is to quit. The frightening true property that shows the power of this addiction is that no matter how long a person is off nicotine, one puff or one dip and the once dormant reward pathways are again awake and the addict reborn. Sadly for many this “one” throws them back into the bonds of slavery and keeps them there again for years, sometimes for life. The average addict musters the confidence to challenge their addiction about once every three years, at which time roughly 1 in 20 will succeed in breaking free for an entire year.

Don't ever try to prove to yourself that you were not addicted. You were addicted to nicotine all of the years you used it and you are addicted to it today too. The difference is as an ex-nicotine user the addiction becomes asymptomatic. The pain of quitting fades, the reward “ahs” diminish, and the body and mind move on. To keep it that way and to always stay in control of your quit, remember to NEVER re-introduce nicotine into your body in any shape or form.

There is no “one” !!

Offline brianl

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Interests: NOT DIPPING!!!!!Family, Friends, Concerts and supporting the Boston Teams!
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
Sobering.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
Cause of Death

Here is a little something I found today. It is a study of all deaths in the United States in 2006. I will let you draw your own conclusions.

2006 Deaths

AIDS - 12,113
Asthma - 3,613
Auto Accidents - 45,316
Bike Accidents - 714
Breast Cancer - 41,210
Diabetes - 72,449
Drowning - 3,579
Influenza - 849
Falls - 20,823
Fires  Burns - 3,109
Gun Accidents - 642
Hepatitis - 7,250
Illegal/Legal Drugs - 24,400
Leukemia - 21,944
Lightening - 57
Liver Disease - 27,555
Meningitis - 634
Murder - 18,573
Poisoning - 27,531
Prostate Cancer - 28,372
Shark Attacks - 1
Skin Cancer - 8,441
Snake Bites - 5
Suicide - 33,300
Syphilis - 36
Tuberculosis - 652
Ulcers - 3,323

TOTAL OF ALL OF THE ABOVE - 397,479

TOBACCO TOTAL ANNUAL U.S DEATHS - 443,000

Still think that tobacco does not kill early ? Make no mistake, tobacco shortens lives !!

Death by Tobacco
Suicide? Murder? Accident? Stupidity?

If you are already quit, hopefully this will give you reasons to remain that way. If you are a guest and looking for a reason to quit..... what better motivation could you have than LIFE ?!

Offline Nolaq

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
Quote from: Greg5280
Saw this today. Made me think...

Life

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.

2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.

3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and
parents will. Stay in touch.

5. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.

6. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.

7. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their
journey is all about.

8. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.

9. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.

10. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no
for an answer.

11. Today is special. Enjoy it. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

12. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.

13. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will
this matter?'

14. What other people think of you is none of your business.

15. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.

16. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.

17. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.

18. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.

19. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.

20. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.

21. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else, we'd
grab ours back.

22. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

23. Make a difference.

24. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift."
I think I identify with 21 the most.
What is your major malfunction?!?!?!?!

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Saw this today. Made me think...

Life

1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.

2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.

3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and
parents will. Stay in touch.

5. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.

6. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.

7. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their
journey is all about.

8. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.

9. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.

10. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no
for an answer.

11. Today is special. Enjoy it. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

12. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.

13. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will
this matter?'

14. What other people think of you is none of your business.

15. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.

16. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.

17. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.

18. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.

19. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.

20. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.

21. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else, we'd
grab ours back.

22. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

23. Make a difference.

24. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift."

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
Quote from: WAKEBRDN
Congrats on a year...thanks for all you do to help around here.
Thanks for stopping by. Just trying to help pay back what was given to me.

Without this site and the men that showed me the way I would still be piling that shit into my piehole.

Thanks to everyone here.... you keep me quit daily !!

Offline WAKEBRDN

• Quitter
  • Interests: Knowing Jesus, Loving Family, Running, Cycling
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
Congrats on a year...thanks for all you do to help around here.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

Quit Contract

If you have kids read this.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Day 364

I Have to get this written down. I have not really posted much in here lately about my quit since I have been cruising along nicely. If I said dipping never crossed my mind I would be lying; but it has very infrequent and has been more of a passing thought than any of the craves or thoughts I had early on. Last night was kinda odd and a good example of the bitch trying to sneak her way back in. Here goes:

Last night I was out running around with my daughter. We go into the grocery store to do a bit of shopping. It was around 7:30 PM so not a ton of people at the store. As we are walking out the smell of a cigar hit me. I looked around and did not see anyone ? Hmm, thatÂ’s odd I thought and it did not bother me just struck me as strange. I was never a smoker, always hated the smell.

Well we go to another store and shopped a bit more, as we were standing in line I am staring at the dip behind the counter, not really craving just looking more than I had in recent memory. My daughter even asked what I was staring at so hard. Not much I said, paid for our stuff and off we go again. As we walked out BAM the smell of a cigar again, I am looking around like WTF ?? This time my mouth started watering , my jaws hurt a bit, and my tongue started tingling. Wow….. a full on crave this late in the game ? The little voice in my head started talking “ hey go get one of those cans you have been looking at. “ “ One won’t hurt.” “ It’s been almost a year you deserve one. “

I am standing by my truck just shaking my head and chuckling a bit. My daughter asks whatÂ’s up. I told her I was craving like a big dog and started laughing. She wanted to know what I was going to do. I told her I was going home and getting on the site, I had posted my promise and there was no way I was dipping today. So we head home and I do some posting, and a bit of reading. Told my wife what had happened when she got home and how odd that was. Two times I smelled a cigar and not a fucking soul anywhere around and then a full on crave.

Anyway off to bed I go. Never was really all that concerned about caving, was not even close to that but it was a full fledge crave for sure. Well guess what happens while I am sleeping ?? You got it a dip/smoking dream. Well this was unlike the other dip/smoke dreams I have had because in this one every other person in the dream was dipping and smoking and I was not. Everyone offering me dips, smokes and I just kept saying no. I was actually handing out KTC business cards to all the NIC fiends trying to get them to join the site?!?! Crazy ass dream, but kinda cool too ! Only one in the dream that was quit !!

Not sure what all that means but I wanted to write it down since it had been awhile since I craved really. It was subtle at first but then I guess when that did not work the bitch tried to go full out on me. Guess it still is going to come from time to time. Well I slapped her ass back to where she belonged, kept on quitting ( Even in my dream ) and will hit my year tomorrow.

My promise in the morning keeps me quit; Yesterday, today, tomorrow. See you at roll call in the morning.