Author Topic: Day 140 and counting  (Read 29573 times)

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Day 140 and counting
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
The Real You

**Portions taken from an article on Why Quit.com**

Try to remember if you can, what it was like being you? Not the chemically dependant you, the REAL you. What was it like to function every morning without nicotine? To finish a meal, travel, talk on the phone, have a disagreement, start a project or take a break without putting nicotine into your body? What was it like before nicotine took control? What was it like residing inside a mind that did not crave for nicotine? Can you remember? For most of us our addiction has controlled us so long we cannot remember the “real” us. I know I cannot.

One of the most terrifying aspects of drug addiction is just how quickly nearly all remaining memory of life without the external chemical are buried by high definition dopamine induced memories generated by using it. It's a common thread among all drug addicts. And make no mistakes, you are an addict, admitting that is the first step to recovery.

We became slaves to the world of "nicotine normal," and by doing so we were each provided a new identity. The nicotine dependant, addict. The junkie worrying about the next fix. The captive brain dopamine pathways did their designed job and did it well. They left us convinced that our next nicotine fix was central to survival, as important as drinking water or eating food. How many of you passed up food to buy a can? How many times did you skip time with family to feed your addiction ? Dig through the trash to find a few grains to hold you over until you got to the store?

Why do we fear quitting? Such thinking can unconsciously tease and play upon old nicotine use memories, making us feel as though we've left something of tremendous value behind. If allowed, it can tease and inflame false fears, fears born of nicotine urge and replenishment memories, strong vivid memories whose purpose were to convince us that nicotine is vital to survival, memories that should never have been present in the first place, memories only made possible because a poison substance entered the brain and was able to disrupt your normal thought processes.

When you think about "quitting" I hope you stop and realize when the real "quitting" took place. You quit being you the first moment nicotine entered your bloodstream. Quitting nicotine is about recognizing and embracing the truth but be prepared; learning that for years we fooled ourselves and lived a lie can invoke a host of emotions including depression, apathy, confusion and anger. Start your journey with baby steps, patience, honesty and you too will soon be entirely comfortable again engaging all aspects of life without nicotine. Contrary to deeply held beliefs that were pounded into your brain by an endless cycle of urges and rewards, and lies pumped into you by Big Tobacco, you are leaving absolutely nothing of value behind.

Is there really anything to fear? Why be afraid of returning to a calm and quiet place where you no longer crave a chemical that today and every day for as long as you can remember you cannot seem to get off your mind, a chemical that is a mandatory part of every day's plan? Is freedom of thought and action a good thing or bad? If good, then why fear life without a chemical that is controlling you? A chemical that is killing you.

How wonderful would it be to again live inside an undisturbed, non-poisoned mind where addiction chatter gradually becomes infrequent, then rare? Again, I ask you, "What was it like being you?"

Quit today and start finding out...

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
New foggy quitters,

I have a suggestion for all of you and I have found it to be helpful more than once during my quit. Starting today get a journal and keep track of your quit each day. How you feel, the struggles you are having, the night sweats, loss of appetite etc. Write it all down in vivid detail. When you want to rage get the journal out and write it all down. Even the days when you are so foggy you cannot get a clear thought need to be written in the journal. Hold nothing back. Why you say ?

Here is why; believe it or not there will be a day in the not too distant future, when you will be far removed from the NIC bitches recovery effects. A day when the pain of quitting has faded, you feel great. A day when the fear of physical damages done have subsided. A day when the reasons you quit are not so clear anymore. A day when the whisper of " I have this beaten, I deserve just one" starts playing in your head. "I have this thing licked, I do not need to post anymore" will be your next thought. " I no longer need the site or my brothers" and you wander away and eventually find yourself back in the arms of the bitch.

When those days arrive, and they will, go get your journal out and in your own words read about the misery you endured to get to where you are. Remember every miserable second of it, then get your asses lined back out, get in here and post your promise and stay quit. Always remember you are an addict and you are NEVER cured.

STAY QUIT
Greg

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
I spend time learning about the tobacco industry and their tactics as I find doing so helps me stay focused and stay quit. If the message below does not help you get pissed off at the people who produce, market and sell tobacco I am not sure anything will.

Lies and decpetion

For years, the tobacco industry has known of the health consequences of
tobacco and its addictive component, nicotine. In 1954, tobacco researchers commented,
“It’s fortunate for us that tobacco is a habit consumers can’t break.”

In 1964,an internal British American Tobacco document discussed the issue of nicotine and
addiction, “There seems no doubt that the ‘kick’ of tobacco is due to the concentration
of nicotine in the bloodstream which it achieves, and this is a product
of the quantity of nicotine in the tobacco and the speed of transfer of that nicotine
into the bloodstream.”

In 1969, a Philip Morris researcher bluntly stated, “We have, then, as our first premise, that the primary motivation for tobacco use is to obtain the pharmacological effect of nicotine.” Philip Morris researchers
also concluded: “The cigarette should be conceived not as a product but as a package. The
product is nicotine. The cigarette is but one of many package layers. There
is the carton, which contains the pack, which contains the cigarette, which
contains the smoke. The smoker must strip off all these package layers to get
to that which he seeks Â… Think of a cigarette pack as a storage container for
a dayÂ’s supply of nicotine Â… Think of a cigarette as a dispenser for a dose
unit of nicotine … Think of a puff of smoke as the vehicle of nicotine …”

For Big Tobacco, failure to win the debate over regulating nicotine in tobacco
threatened its existence as an industry. In a 1972 internal memorandum the director
of research for R.J. Reynolds wrote, “If, as proposed above, nicotine is the sine qua non of tobacco use, and if we meekly accept the allegations of our critics and move toward reduction or
elimination of nicotine from our products, then we shall eventually liquidate
our business. If we intend to remain in business and our business is
the manufacture and sale of dosage forms of nicotine, then at some point
we must make a stand.”

For Big Tobacco researchers, the evidence of the addictiveness of nicotine kept
piling up. In a 1983 internal Brown  Williamson memorandum, the message was
clear “Nicotine is the addicting agent in tobacco.”

On April 14, 1994, the CEOs of the seven leading tobacco companies testified
under oath in a hearing held by the U.S. Congress House of Representatives
Committee on Energy and Commerce, Subcommittee on Health and the
Environment. Despite extensive internal research on the issue of nicotine and addiction,
Big TobaccoÂ’s executives testified that they believed that nicotine was not
addictive. Below is the transcript of the relevant exchange on that issue:

Rep. Ron Wyden (D-OR): Thank you, Mr. Chairman Â… Let me begin my questioning
on the matter of whether or not nicotine is addictive. Let me ask you first,
and IÂ’d like to just go down the row, whether each of you believes that nicotine is
not addictive. I heard virtually all of you touch on it. Just yes or no. Do you believe
nicotine is not addictive?

Mr. Campbell (President and CEO, Philip Morris, USA): I believe nicotine is not
addictive, yes.

Rep. Wyden: Mr. Johnston?

Mr. Johnston (Chairman and CEO, RJR Tobacco Co.): Congressman, cigarettes
and nicotine clearly do not meet the classic definitions of addiction. There is no
intoxication.

Rep. Wyden: We’ll take that as a no and, again, time is short. If you can just — I
think each of you believe nicotine is not addictive. We just would like to have this
for the record.

Mr. Taddeo (President, US Tobacco Co.): I donÂ’t believe that nicotine or our products
are addictive.

Mr. Horrigan (Chairman and CEO, Liggett Group): I believe nicotine is not
addictive.

Mr. Tisch (Chairman and CEO, Lorillard Tobacco Co.): I believe that nicotine is
not addictive.

Mr. Sandefur (Chairman and CEO, Brown  Williamson Tobacco Corp.): I
believe that nicotine is not addictive.

Mr. Donald Johnston (President and CEO, American Tobacco Co.): And I, too,
believe that nicotine is not addictive.

As pressure in the U.S. has increased to curb its marketing to children, Big
Tobacco has focused more of its advertising in developing nations. A World Health
Organization (WHO)-Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study
found that 11 percent of children in Latin America and the Caribbean were offered
tobacco by company representatives in 1999 and 2000. In Russia, nearly 17
percent said they were given free tobacco products. In Jordan, it was a whopping 25 percent!

These efforts are found all over the world. According to Vera da Costa e Silva,
director of the WHOÂ’s tobacco program, Big Tobacco is making a big move to hook
children outside of the United States:

“This is the right time for the tobacco industry to seduce children overseas.
They are looking to increase the number of users in developing countries
and elsewhere abroad because in the United States they are losing their market shares.

Tobacco kills an estimated four million people around the globe each year.
Because of growing international sales, experts believe that by the year 2020, one in
three adult deaths in the world will be caused by smoking and other tobacco use.
And these experts believe that by the year 2030, over ten million deaths worldwide
will be caused each year by tobacco use. Tobacco is expected to be the leading cause
of death worldwide in less than thirty years; 70 percent of these deaths will occur in
developing countries.

Other global practices by Big Tobacco have come under fire:

• 520,000 children work on tobacco farms in Brazil, and a third of them
are under the age of 14 years old.

• Children in southern Brazil are removed from classes before the end of
the school year to help with the harvest the tobacco crop.

• The average monthly income for a tobacco-growing family in Brazil is
334 Reals, the equivalent of $137.

Understand that to Big tobacco you are nothing more than “a percentage of market share” the pain and suffering of you and your lost family members means nothing to these death dealers. They have knowingly marketed and produced a product that when used as directed will result in early death for the people who use it. If you ever think you miss this shit, read some of the tactics they have used over the years and it should help keep you quit. As I have said before, I will set my money on fire before I ever give these people one cent of it.

NEVER AGAIN

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
For anyone wanting a good reason to quit think about this one.

The products sold by Big Tobacco kill someone every 6.5 seconds.

Good enough for me !!

Stay Quit
Greg

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Quote from: BlahBlah
Awesome page, Greg. Thanks for all the killer info. Makes staying quit much easier.

Bruce
Glad it helps ! That is why I started it.

Offline BlahBlah

• Quitter
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Awesome page, Greg. Thanks for all the killer info. Makes staying quit much easier.

Bruce

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
I am going to be driving through Kansas City Oct 8th time frame. I know there are plenty of quitters in the KC area and I want to plan a meet. We can do breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever works best for the majority. Let me know !!

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Imagine three jumbo jets filled to capacity crashing in the United States every single day, 365 days a year, killing everyone on board. Horrific to think about, but this example represents the number of precious lives lost to tobacco day in and day out in the United States alone. No other product on the market today would be allowed to have this mortality rate and still be sold. Tobacco use still tops the list as the most preventable cause of death in the United States today, accounting for 438,000+ deaths annually.

Estimates from the Centers for Disease Control tell us that 20.8% of the U.S. adult population, or 45.3 million people, currently use tobacco. Why given numbers of deaths as dramatic as these would anyone allow this toxic substance into their bodies? The simple answer to that is addiction! Nicotine is highly addictive; sometimes referred to as the perfect drug of addiction. Many of us were hooked the first time we used. If you think you are not addicted think again.

Statistics show that only small percentages (approximately 5-7%) of people who try to quit nicotine without support are still tobacco free a year later. However, those with a quit program in place that includes education about nicotine addiction and a solid support group, do much better.

Good news is you have found the place to finally cast aside the chains of addiction and gain control of your life. Question is will you use the tools offered here? Will you fight and beat this addiction? Or will you allow big tobacco and Nicotine to rob you of the most important thing you ownÂ… your life.

Choice is yoursÂ…..

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Day 300

300 Days Nicotine free !! The third floor !! I would have never believed it was possible. I started this quit by accident and expected it to go like most other attempts. I would give it a “good try” this time though; I mean a “really good try.” And it started; I really rocked along pretty good for the first 14 days or so. Very few problems, I thought this quitting shit was pretty easy. Then I woke up one day and saw some strange sores in my mouth, immediately knew they were cancer and the anxiety express was off and running. On day 15 I was a basket case. I could not sleep, anxiety was out of control, depressed, convinced I was dying and stumbled onto this website and found this crazy band of quitters.

I read a couple of things on the home page and then found the “what to expect” article. I read it a few times and suddenly some of what I was going through made sense. Hey maybe I was not dying after all. I spent the rest of the day reading everything I could without joining. You see all those people on the site were serious quitters and I, well I was just a guy trying to save some sanity, I could not quit. I finally joined and my quit education began.

For me the hardest part of all of this was to admit that I was actually an addict. I mean addicts are those people you see downtown begging for change for their next fix right? That cannot be me, I have a good job, an education, a family. I canÂ’t be an addict I told myself. I tried to justify my addiction with the same bullshit excuses everyone else did and it was this site that finally got me to look at this as an addiction and something I really needed to get out of my life.

It is difficult for me to believe now that I ever dipped. I see people doing it all the time and it disgusts me. The fat lips, the dip particles in their teeth, the nasty ass spit bottles, trying to talk with a mouth full of spit. Wow what a dipshit I was. I let that shit steal time from my children, my wife, my family, and my friends? Yes I am an addict and it is still very sad but I now know that I am stronger than this addiction, and I gain more strength each day.

I owe this site and the people here more than you know. Without the accountability and education here I am certain I would have gone back to the can. Every person here in some way or another has helped get me to 300 and for that I thank you. 300 is a bad ass number but I have no illusions that I am cured. I have figured out this is a daily battle and the people I see here that are successful post roll daily still so I plan to do the same.
I also plan to continue helping whoever listens to my ramblings.

Still hard to imagine but here I sit at 300. Newbies if you are reading this I am here to tell you the fight is WORTH it. I feel better today than I have in a long time. You CAN quit this shit, You CAN live your life without tobacco, You CAN become a better person
and you CAN be around for your family. You just have to join this site, believe in the methods used here, get your mind right and free yourself from the deadly toxin you have been stuffing in your face. Life dip free is paradise !!

Thanks again to everyone !!! I will see you at roll call tomorrowÂ… and thatÂ’s a promise !!

STAY QUIT
Greg

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
I am hitting the trail again. I will be in OKC August 30 to September 3. If you are around and want to meet up PM me.

Offline mitch

• Quitter
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Quote from: Seth
I'm pretty sure that is about heroin. But works for us as well.
I thought it was coke ("Chop your b-fast on a mirror"), but I agree...relevant to any addict either way. This is one of a few CD's that I would listen to while driving to hockey games...hearing this song in particular always made me reflect on my nic addiction.
Quit 02/13/2010
HOF 05/23/2010
2nd 08/31/2010
3rd 12/09/2010
1YR 02/12/2011
Stay Quit! It gets better!!!

Offline Seth

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure that is about heroin. But works for us as well.
The product is worth the process.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
Yeah I am a big Metallica fan just happened to hear the other one on the way home Wednesday and I guess listened to the words for the first time.

STAY QUIT

Offline Fort

• Quitter
  • Interests: Hockey, golf, football, baseball, fishing and being a great dad and husband.
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Not sure if anyone has ever posted this song but it it fitting for all of us as well;

Master of Puppets, Metallica:

End of passion play, crumbling away
I'm your source of self-destruction
Veins that pump with fear, sucking dark is clear
Leading on your deaths construction

Taste me you will see
More is all you need
Dedicated to
How I'm killing you

Come crawling faster
Obey your Master
Your life burns faster
Obey your Master
Master

Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams
Blinded by me, you can't see a thing
Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream
Master
Master
Master
Master

Needlework the way, never you betray
Life of death becoming clearer
Pain monopoly, ritual misery
Chop your breakfast on a mirror

Taste me you will see
More is all you need
Dedicated to
How I'm killing you

Come crawling faster
Obey your Master
Your life burns faster
Obey your Master
Master

Master
Master
Master
Master

Master, Master, where's the dreams that I've been after?
Master, Master, you promised only lies
Laughter, Laughter, all I hear or see is laughter
Laughter, Laughter, laughing at my cries
Hell is worth all that, natural habitat
Just a rhyme without a reason
Neverending maze, drift on numbered days
now your life is out of season
I will occupy
I will help you die
I will run through you
Now I rule you too

Come crawling faster
Obey your Master
Your life burns faster
Obey your Master
Master

Master
Master
Master
Master
Fuck em all and fucking no regrets.

Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for.
- Socrates

Quit Date - 8/16/2010
HOF - 11/23/2010
1 YR - 8/15/2011
2 YR - 8/15/2012
9th Floor - 1/31/2013

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
I heard this song on my way home tonight. I have heard it a hundred times but I never really listened to the lyrics. I thought it fit well to the bitch we fight every day. We thought we loved it, we thought we needed it and it was all a bunch of lies. The last verse gave me chills this time. Funny what you hear and see when you are looking at things differently.

Thank you to all the bad ass quitters that help me fight this shit every day !! Thank you KTC...

My Mistress

I stand on the brink of your mind
Living inside a nightmare from which
I just cannot awaken
Stand on the edge of your life
Just give me another moment
From which I will never awaken

Stand on the brink of my own demise
Fallen again for another
Mistress of burden
To idolize
Hoping that one of them will decide