Author Topic: Day 140 and counting  (Read 29574 times)

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Day 140 and counting
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2010, 12:58:00 AM »
Quote from: bmartin
Great Post - It is a fight forever. I met a guy this weekend, smoker who actually quit for 7 years. Can you believe that? Just one and he was back addicted. There can never be just 1
Bmartin,
As I learn more about what I was doing it scares the shit outta me. As one quitter I talked to said " We were messing with something we should not have been"

What a frightening thing. To think something can have that kind of control over you... scary shit.

I am done !!!

STAY QUIT

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
Quote from: kdip
Nicely done greg!!!! Thx for writing this!
Kent,
Thanks for that. I hope it helps someone !!

Offline bmartin

• Quitter
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Great Post - It is a fight forever. I met a guy this weekend, smoker who actually quit for 7 years. Can you believe that? Just one and he was back addicted. There can never be just 1

Offline Kdip

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Quitting and helping others quit, riding my motorcycle, baseball, football, old furniture restoration, junk collecting, vintage arcade machines, rafting, tubing, camping, my family and dog
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Nicely done greg!!!! Thx for writing this!

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
Welcome Newbies

Understanding your enemy.

**Portions taken from an article on Whyquit.com**

As teenagers, what most of us thought would be a brief rebellious experiment was quickly transformed into a powerful lifelong chemical addiction as daily multiple nicotine feedings quickly became mandatory. New studies confirm that for some of us it only took coughing and hacking our way through a few nicotine laden cigarettes, or a few pinches of tobacco before the shackles of slavery began to take control. Five, ten, fifteen nicotine fixes a day became the norm, our way of life- when will enough be enough became the question. "Tomorrow, tomorrow I will quit” or "I love tobacco, it helps me think" “ “It helps me remain calm”, and many other lies we told ourselves daily. Welcome to the realities of true chemical dependency. A world built upon lies; Lies sold to you by big tobacco and lies you told yourself.

Psychologists calls our lies denial. Denial is an unconscious defense mechanism - just below the surface - we use for resolving the emotional conflict and anxieties that naturally arise from living in a permanent state of self-destructive chemical bondage. Three primary areas of denial relied upon by nicotine addicts are dependency denial, cost denial and recovery denial. In each, truth is sacrificed in exchange for peace of mind while remaining hostage in an artificial world of "nicotine normal," or to justify relapse. I know I told my self hundreds of times I could quit whenever I wanted to, I just did not want to quit. Tobacco kept me calm, helped me concentrate, gave me energy.. what horseshit. I know you all used this one too “ I will quit when Skoal reaches XXX per can I will quit.” All forms of denial to help you cope with your addiction.

Most nicotine addicts are completely insulated by a thick blanket of unconscious denial rationalizations, minimizations, fault projections, escapes, intellectualizations and delusions that hide the pain of captivity or create the illusion that lifes problems are somehow being solved by using. The average addict musters the confidence to challenge their addiction about once every three years, at which time roughly 1 in 20 will succeed in breaking free for an entire year. These horrible recovery statistics evenutally result in half of us dying by our own hand, with male users losing an average of 13 years of life expectancy and females losing 14 years. Our senseless self-destruction is undeniable visible evidence of denial's depth, and the power of this addiction. The addiction insulated us from the extreme price being paid with each and every puff or pinch - a little more of life itself taken, all to line the pockets of big tobacco.

Sadly for far too many the three years between recovery attempts will be too long. According to the World Health Organization the next three years will cost 15 million of our brother and sister addicts their lives. If you are here reading this you are at a crossroads. You want to quit but are not sure you can. This is where you need to be. It will be tough, you will have to endure some pain but it can be done. As a former can to can and a half a day user I can attest to the fact that this site and the methods here do work. You have a choice to make today, another try in three years may be too late.

Make no mistakes, this is a battle for your lives. What will your decision be ?

Offline DeanTheCoot

• Quitter
  • Interests: reading, eating, walking, running, fishing, Freemasonry, coffee, pussy, hunting, motorcycles, history, badminton, trees
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Fuck yes, Greg. Looking good, brother.

Offline Smokeyg

• Quit King
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »
Beautiful.

Not willing to make a phone call? Not willing to text a quit brother? Not willing to post from the library, your friend's house?

Not prepared to accept the power of this addiction - even its existence. Not ready to quit for yourself. Not able to truly live.

I am prepared to fight the illogical fight, to reflect on external factors; to know my addiction's lies and to always follow my true internal voice.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
What are you prepared to do ?

I was sitting in chat the other night when a younger quitter came into the room and announced this would be his last night on the site. He was shutting off his cell phone, turning off his internet and basically cutting off all unnecessary expenses. His reason for doing this was to assist a friend who was fighting cancer. While this is a very noble cause and certainly to be commended I as well as others in the room cautioned against him leaving. We offered up options, such as going to a friendÂ’s house to post, go to the library, use your home phone and call a brother. All of these were met with a reason they would not work or could not be done.

I certainly hope he keeps his young quit going, but I have my doubts. Sadly we are all addicts; addicted to the perfect addictive drug. As one quitter I was talking to told me, “ man nicotine/ tobacco is dangerous stuff. We were messing with something we should not have been.” It took me awhile to be able to admit I was an addict but it is true none the less. I am, you are, we all are. For many of us this site/ community has been the one thing that has worked to keep us quit. Coming here and posting our promise, finding other addicts, listening to their stories, talking to them in chat, on the phone, developing friendships and understanding the phases you will go through all make this place the one place we can turn to and remain quit. Leaving here is never a good idea no matter what you think.

In my short time here I have seen many people cave. Some were brand new quitters that were just simply not ready, I hope they make it back. Some were very young quitters that did not use the tools provided and fell back into old habits. Others were long term quitters who allowed the lies and mind games we all tell ourselves to win. And some were Very long term quitters who thought they had the addiction beaten and wandered away from the site. Never kid yourself, nicotine is some bad ass shit..

As I was logging off for the night the quote from the Untouchables came to my mind. “ What are you prepared to do?” I thought about it and decided this was an excellent question. What are you prepared to do to keep your quit… ?

I thought about it for awhile and for me the answer to that question is very simple. I will do whatever I have to do. If I have to text a brother because I cannot get internet, I will do that. If I have to call a brother because I cannot text them, I will do that. If I have to go to a friendÂ’s house and pay them to use their internet, I will do that. If I have to walk to the library to use a computer, I will do that. If I have to post roll every day for the rest of my life, I will do that. Whatever it takesÂ….

Knowing what I know now about nicotine, tobacco, and addiction; there is no way I would go back to using. Not only does it scare the shit out of me, but I also have developed a growing hatred for the fucks that make it, market it, and sell it.

None for me; not today, not tomorrow.

So what are you prepared to do ??

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
People really become quite remarkable when they start thinking that they CAN do things. When they believe in themselves, they have the first secret of success.

Offline sensei

• Quitter
  • Interests: My hot wifeMy daughterMy sonKettlebellsKnivesMountain bikingFishingSurfingMotocrossThe Great Outdoors
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
Quote from: redyota
Quote from: Greg5280
Day 276

Many of you know I travel often for my job.  Today was one of those days.  Travel used to be a huge trigger for me.  Not anymore.  I wish I could say travel is easier now, but for those of you who do it often you know that is not true. 

I knew quitting had many advantages.  I feel better, my energy level is way up, I am as horny as a 19 year old again, and I must be one bad ass looking dude.  ( Must have been all the pushups. )  Let me explain...

As part of my trips to our locations I do a shop inspection which includes a detailed inspection of our tire program so I need to have tread depth gauges, pressure gauges etc. to do these inspections.  Well I have been carrying the same pressure gauge in my suitcase for years and nobody says a word.  Today I try to get through security and they pull me off to the side. 

TSA Dude:  Is this your bag ?
Me: Yes it is

TSA Dude: Do you mind if I look inside.
Me: Sure go ahead.

TSA Dude rummages through my shit and finds my bag of tools ( mind you none of this shit is sharp in any way shape or form.)

TSA Dude:  Hey you cannot have this in your bag ( Holding up my pressure gauge.)
Me: Really, I have traveled with it for years.

TSA Dude:  Nope can't have it could be used as a weapon.
Me:  :blink:

TSA Dude:  I am going to have to take this from you.

TSA Dude:  Hey ! Do you have someone you could give this to, or do you want to take it to your car.
Me: You seriously think I could use that as a weapon ?

TSA Dude:  Yes you could club someone with it.

So I left my pressure guage at the check station.  You would think at this point I would be furious but I instead had this overwhelming sense of badassery.  To think TSA dude thinks I am bad ass enough to overtake an entire plane of people with just a tire pressure gauge. 

Acutally I was fucking furious... but hey I am quit and the fucking plane did not crash.. so all in all it was a good day.
We must be part of the same gang. My weapon of choice is a tape measure. Several have been taken from me.

Some agents look at it suspiciously, a few even pull out all 25' to inspect the whole thing. I think that I may start carrying a 250' one too just for the entertainment value.
They wont even let me on the plane any more, since I quit they think I am a weapon.

Offline redyota

• Master of Quit
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
Day 276

Many of you know I travel often for my job.  Today was one of those days.  Travel used to be a huge trigger for me.  Not anymore.  I wish I could say travel is easier now, but for those of you who do it often you know that is not true. 

I knew quitting had many advantages.  I feel better, my energy level is way up, I am as horny as a 19 year old again, and I must be one bad ass looking dude.  ( Must have been all the pushups. )  Let me explain...

As part of my trips to our locations I do a shop inspection which includes a detailed inspection of our tire program so I need to have tread depth gauges, pressure gauges etc. to do these inspections.  Well I have been carrying the same pressure gauge in my suitcase for years and nobody says a word.  Today I try to get through security and they pull me off to the side. 

TSA Dude:  Is this your bag ?

TSA Dude rummages through my shit and finds my bag of tools ( mind you none of this shit is sharp in any way shape or form.)

TSA Dude:  Hey you cannot have this in your bag ( Holding up my pressure gauge.)

TSA Dude:  Nope can't have it could be used as a weapon.

TSA Dude:  I am going to have to take this from you.

TSA Dude:  Hey ! Do you have someone you could give this to, or do you want to take it to your car.

TSA Dude:  Yes you could club someone with it.

So I left my pressure guage at the check station.  You would think at this point I would be furious but I instead had this overwhelming sense of badassery.  To think TSA dude thinks I am bad ass enough to overtake an entire plane of people with just a tire pressure gauge. 

Acutally I was fucking furious... but hey I am quit and the fucking plane did not crash.. so all in all it was a good day.
We must be part of the same gang. My weapon of choice is a tape measure. Several have been taken from me.

Some agents look at it suspiciously, a few even pull out all 25' to inspect the whole thing. I think that I may start carrying a 250' one too just for the entertainment value.
"We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools and we will finish the job." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Not using gets much easier as time goes by, but the consequences of "just one" never lessen." - Me

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Day 276

Many of you know I travel often for my job. Today was one of those days. Travel used to be a huge trigger for me. Not anymore. I wish I could say travel is easier now, but for those of you who do it often you know that is not true.

I knew quitting had many advantages. I feel better, my energy level is way up, I am as horny as a 19 year old again, and I must be one bad ass looking dude. ( Must have been all the pushups. ) Let me explain...

As part of my trips to our locations I do a shop inspection which includes a detailed inspection of our tire program so I need to have tread depth gauges, pressure gauges etc. to do these inspections. Well I have been carrying the same pressure gauge in my suitcase for years and nobody says a word. Today I try to get through security and they pull me off to the side.

TSA Dude: Is this your bag ?

TSA Dude: Hey you cannot have this in your bag ( Holding up my pressure gauge.)

TSA Dude: Nope can't have it could be used as a weapon.
Me: :blink:

TSA Dude: I am going to have to take this from you.

TSA Dude: Hey ! Do you have someone you could give this to, or do you want to take it to your car.

TSA Dude: Yes you could club someone with it.

So I left my pressure guage at the check station. You would think at this point I would be furious but I instead had this overwhelming sense of badassery. To think TSA dude thinks I am bad ass enough to overtake an entire plane of people with just a tire pressure gauge.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
One of the major keys to success in life is perseverance. Perseverance is the steady discipline of getting back up when you have fallen and continuing on, in spite of difficulties or setbacks. We cannot control all of the results in our lives; but we can control whether or not we accept failure, or choose to be successful. That is a decision we must make alone.

Offline MikeA

• Quit Pro
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
I will be in Oklahoma City August 2nd to August 6th. If anyone Will be around on those days and would like to meet PM me so we can set something up.
I can meet for lunch on your way through.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I will be in Oklahoma City August 2nd to August 6th. If anyone Will be around on those days and would like to meet PM me so we can set something up.