Author Topic: Day 140 and counting  (Read 29565 times)

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Day 140 and counting
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Day 171

The last few days have been good ones. Typical of how my quit has been, come off a funk and have some of the best days of quitting. I am a little on the pissed off side of things right now though and I will explain why.

To be honest with everyone I have avoided C stores like the plague, and if I did have to go into one I would not let my eyes stray to the tobacco layout behind the counter. I was not sure how I would handle seeing rows of my chosen poison, so I chose to stay away. Something for you newbs to think about and add to your plan.

Well I was feeling pretty damn good yesterday morning. Had a great day and evening on Saturday and was feeling bulletproof. So I headed too my old stomping ground to see my favorite girl, that I had not seen since I quit. I walked in and grabbed my OJ and proceeded to check out. There it was, right in front of me.. rows and rows of tobacco. Funny thing is I did not get a bad ass craving, I really felt more disgusted by it.

Sadly I have never spent much time looking at all the choices there were these days. I knew my particular brand and was not that concerned about the rest. Looking at the display started pissing me off. ( Now remember when I started this shit there were two choices Skoal fine cut and Copenhagen unless you wanted to chew or snort.) It was almost mind numbing the choices and flavors Grape, Apple, Cherry, Long Cut, Pouches, Snus, I got dizzy trying to see all the different choices. Why so many ?? Simple, to addict as many people as possible.

These fuckers are making and selling the perfect addictive drug and are marketing it to every sector of society, especially kids. If you think I am full of shit who would dip apple flavored pouches ?? To think I supported the tobacco industry for as long as I did nauseates me.

So I get up this morning still pissed about what I had seen at the store yesterday. I get on the site and see a story posted about Nicotine candy, Nicotine toothpicks, Nicotine breath strips.. WTF ?? This has gotten to new lows!! For those of you that may have missed it I will add it to this post but for FUCK sake what will they think of next. The only way to get them hooked any younger would be adding Nicotine to baby formulaÂ… Wow.

For those of you that are just starting your quit and are thinking you miss how good it was read the story below. The people at BIG TOBACCO are death dealers and will stop at nothing to have a new generation of ‘addicts” to line their pockets with cash. If you are reading this and have not chosen to stop yet, dump your shit and get to quitting. Stop giving your money to these fucks….. I am so glad I am QUIT. Seeing shit like this just makes my resolve that much stronger.

Nicotine Candy

(Health.com)
-- A new generation of smokeless, flavored tobacco products that look like breath mints or breath-freshening strips may be life-threatening for children who mistake them for candy, according to researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
"Nicotine is a poison, and now we're seeing smokeless tobacco products that look like Tic Tacs or MM's, which parents can leave on the counter and children can be attracted to," says Greg N. Connolly, D.M.D., the director of the Tobacco Control Research Group at the Harvard School of Public Health, in Boston, Massachusetts.
Connolly led a research team that found that smokeless tobacco products are the second most common cause of nicotine poisoning in children, after cigarettes. The researchers reviewed data from 61 poison control centers and identified 13,705 cases of tobacco ingestion between 2006 and 2008, the vast majority of which were in infants. Smokeless tobacco was involved in 1,768 of the cases.
The new products -- currently being test-marketed in three cities -- include Camel Orbs, which resemble breath mints; Camel Sticks, which are about the size of a toothpick and dissolve in the mouth; and Camel Strips, which are similar to breath-freshening strips. Small, teabag-like "snus" -- pouches filled with tobacco that are placed between the upper lip and gum -- are also a potential hazard, according to the study, which appears in the journal Pediatrics.
These products are not smoking cessation aids; rather, they are marketed as a nicotine alternative in places where smoking isn't allowed.

Although children in the study were most often poisoned from eating cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products in general, the researchers single out the new, dissolvable products -- especially Camel Orbs -- as a "major concern." Orbs are available in cinnamon and mint flavors and could easily be mistaken for candy, the researchers say."The candy form can only mean trouble, particularly for children and infants," says Connolly. "And snus are attractive, flavorful, and easily ingested by an infant or child."
R.J. Reynolds spokesman David Howard says that the packaging of Camel Orbs and the other dissolvable products is "100 percent child-resistant in accordance with Consumer Product Safety Commission standards" and bears a label that says "Keep Out of Reach of Children." Adults, he adds, should ensure that "children do not have access to any tobacco products -- including dissolvable tobacco products."
Still, the researchers say, the pellets could find their way into children's mouths. Nicotine poisoning can cause nausea or vomiting, and severe cases can result in convulsions, respiratory failure, and even death. Just under 0.5 milligrams of nicotine per pound of body weight is the minimum lethal dose for children, according to Connolly.

A chemical analysis conducted by Connolly and his colleagues found that Camel Orbs contain an average of 0.83 milligrams of nicotine in each pellet. Some of the nicotine is "un-ionized," which allows for more rapid absorption and may be more toxic than other forms of the drug, they write.
"A small pellet with a rapid release of nicotine and a young child with a low body weight can be a very serious problem," Connolly says. "We have to look at high-risk groups who may ingest these thinking that they are candy and be very cautious about dispensing them and not leaving them around."
Regulators, he adds, "must ask tough questions about who is at risk from these products, and who we are trying to help with them."
To focus on the poison risk of Camel Orbs and dissolvable nicotine products is "remarkably selective," Howard says. He points out that Connolly and his colleagues make no mention of nicotine gums and lozenges used in smoking cessation, which are also available in a range of flavors and resemble candy and gum.

In a commentary accompanying the study, officials from the Center for Tobacco Products at the Food and Drug Administration write that dissolvable tobacco products "pose unique concerns for public health authorities." Dr. Marisa Cruz, M.D., and Dr. Lawrence Deyton, M.D., write that the FDA has requested research on the products from tobacco companies and will hold a series of public meetings to help develop a regulatory policy.
The FDA has broad authority to regulate tobacco products under the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, which was signed into law last June. Later that fall, the agency banned the sale of candy- and fruit-flavored cigarettes.
"I would feel safer if the FDA...looked at the packaging [of these products] as well as their safety," says Dr. Jonathan P. Winickoff, M.D., an assistant professor of pediatrics at Harvard Medical School.
Health.com: How to buy the right air cleaner
While accidental infant poisonings are certainly cause for concern, purposeful ingestion of smokeless tobacco products by kids and teens may be a larger problem, Winickoff points out. As the study notes, the use of smokeless tobacco products among adolescents increased 6 percent per year from 2002 to 2006."An adolescent thinks this is harmless because it looks harmless, but they're exposing their brain to nicotine, and there's a chance that they would be primed to develop a nicotine addiction," says Winickoff, who was not involved in the study. "If teens ended up using smokeless product because they are attracted to candy flavors and they end up getting addicted to nicotine, the public health benefit of smokeless tobacco is neutralized."

One of the study authors, Terry F. Pechacek, Ph.D., the associate director for science at the CDC's Office on Smoking and Health in Atlanta said that more than half of people who use smokeless tobacco are underage.

Products such as Camel Orbs, he says, "look like candy, are more easily concealed, and can be used at school or in front of parents. That raises even greater concerns."

Offline mustangs21089

• Quitter
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2010, 02:45:00 AM »
Quote from: Greg5280
Quote from: mustangs21089
Quote from: Ready
Day 168

The last couple of days were strange.  If it was a funk then it was different than any of the funks I have had before. It was more like a blah, fukit, kinda feeling.   I think it was just another lame ass attempt by the NIC bitch  to wiggle her way back into my life.   Kind of hard to explain, I was not really craving but the thought of dipping was on my mind more than it had been in recent memory, and my mood was a little down.  I had even watched some of the smokers today at work and did not feel the disgust I typically do.   I posted roll in my group only to find many of them talking about the same sorts of things so maybe it was a funk, whatever it was I kicked that shit to the curb. 

Today has been much better.  I am feeling like I have been.  I have to laugh now when shit like the last couple of days happens.  No way I am sticking that shit in my face again, at some point I am hoping the NIC bitch figures that out and leaves me alone.  But if she decides she needs to come fuck with me every month or so.. so be it.  I guess I earned that. 

However NIC bitch when you do come to see me the answer is going to be the same as the last time you visitedÂ…..

Fuck off !  I don’t do that shit anymore….
Gives me wood!

'clap' 'clap' 'clap'
you inspire me man! i start day 1 tomorrow! thank you for the inspiration!
Mustang,
I hope you mean what you posted. I post my quit hoping it does help others. The vets here have helped me achieve something I have not been able to do on my own, and I feel a huge obligation to help others.

Quitting is hard work, I will help you in whatever way I can. Be serious about your quit, if you are you will get all the support you need. All I ask is do not come into this with a weak ass resolve, post your promise and keep your word. It really is that simple... not easy, but simple.
i mean what i post and i will keep posting and posting roll and i will keep my word! I just threw out all my empty cans and spitters and had a half can of grizz mint and flushed it down the toilet! it's on. I'm gettin quit my man!!!
!!!!CRaViN bUt I AiNt CaVin!!!!

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
Quote from: bmartin
Day 160

Another good day in the books and one more day away from the NIC bitch.  I took the day off with the plan of golfing in the morning, going to get some wings and beer and watch the Masters in the afternoon.  The weather did not allow any golfing today, cold, windy.  I did get to watch the Masters however.  But what I really did was spend a ton of time on the site today reading and I have to say I am not happy, so this post is for the newbies.

Newbies; I lived on this site for the first 100 days or more of my quit.  I logged in at work, read, posted, read some more.  I learned what makes this place work, and what is expected of me to be a member of this community.  Not sure how I got any work done really with the amount of time I spent here, but I did manage to keep my job.  This site was the one thing I could rely on each day.  My moods were all over the place, I slept like shit off and on, my appetite was all over the place, but this place was constant there was going to be something said that I needed to hear to push me to the next day, so I read, read, read, posted my own two cents, basically leaned on my brothers and this site to keep me going and I could always be found in the live chat at night.  I have been spending less time during the day on here, which is probably good for me keeping my job, but I still post my promise every morning, and I am still active on here at night.

I have to say I do not believe you are reading enough on this site.  You log in post your promise and “hope” you can quit.  That my dear newbie is not going to get it done.  You need to read what is expected on this site.  You cannot post your promise and then dip; that is not how this works.  Our word to each other is what keeps us quit, at least for me it has been the ONLY thing that has, the first 160 days clean in the past 23+ years of my life.  I see way too many people taking roll call for granted and it is pissing me off.  Posting roll is the cornerstone of this site, stop shitting on it !!

Quitting is hard, the hardest thing I have ever done, but also one of the most rewarding.  Yes I still have “ off “ days that I did not have when I was dipping all the time, but my life is much better now than before.  All I ask of you is to read what is expected from you and live up to that.  If you cannot keep your promise when you post roll  then you are not ready to quit. 

I hope all of you reading this have made your decision and are ready to quit and post your promise.  If so we will welcome you and help you any way we can.  Post your promise and dip… well that is another story.
Great Post - I know as a newbie (9 days) reading everything on this site has helped me immensley.
BMartin,
Thanks for stopping by. I hope my ramblings help others. Know this is hard work, but it can be done. Wake up each day and post your promise, keep your word and you will be quit.

I will help you however I can, PM me if you need to. You got this.....

Offline bmartin

• Quitter
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
Day 160

Another good day in the books and one more day away from the NIC bitch. I took the day off with the plan of golfing in the morning, going to get some wings and beer and watch the Masters in the afternoon. The weather did not allow any golfing today, cold, windy. I did get to watch the Masters however. But what I really did was spend a ton of time on the site today reading and I have to say I am not happy, so this post is for the newbies.

Newbies; I lived on this site for the first 100 days or more of my quit. I logged in at work, read, posted, read some more. I learned what makes this place work, and what is expected of me to be a member of this community. Not sure how I got any work done really with the amount of time I spent here, but I did manage to keep my job. This site was the one thing I could rely on each day. My moods were all over the place, I slept like shit off and on, my appetite was all over the place, but this place was constant there was going to be something said that I needed to hear to push me to the next day, so I read, read, read, posted my own two cents, basically leaned on my brothers and this site to keep me going and I could always be found in the live chat at night. I have been spending less time during the day on here, which is probably good for me keeping my job, but I still post my promise every morning, and I am still active on here at night.

I have to say I do not believe you are reading enough on this site. You log in post your promise and “hope” you can quit. That my dear newbie is not going to get it done. You need to read what is expected on this site. You cannot post your promise and then dip; that is not how this works. Our word to each other is what keeps us quit, at least for me it has been the ONLY thing that has, the first 160 days clean in the past 23+ years of my life. I see way too many people taking roll call for granted and it is pissing me off. Posting roll is the cornerstone of this site, stop shitting on it !!

Quitting is hard, the hardest thing I have ever done, but also one of the most rewarding. Yes I still have “ off “ days that I did not have when I was dipping all the time, but my life is much better now than before. All I ask of you is to read what is expected from you and live up to that. If you cannot keep your promise when you post roll then you are not ready to quit.

I hope all of you reading this have made your decision and are ready to quit and post your promise. If so we will welcome you and help you any way we can. Post your promise and dipÂ… well that is another story.
Great Post - I know as a newbie (9 days) reading everything on this site has helped me immensley.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
Quote from: mustangs21089
Day 168

The last couple of days were strange.  If it was a funk then it was different than any of the funks I have had before. It was more like a blah, fukit, kinda feeling.   I think it was just another lame ass attempt by the NIC bitch  to wiggle her way back into my life.   Kind of hard to explain, I was not really craving but the thought of dipping was on my mind more than it had been in recent memory, and my mood was a little down.  I had even watched some of the smokers today at work and did not feel the disgust I typically do.   I posted roll in my group only to find many of them talking about the same sorts of things so maybe it was a funk, whatever it was I kicked that shit to the curb. 

Today has been much better.  I am feeling like I have been.  I have to laugh now when shit like the last couple of days happens.  No way I am sticking that shit in my face again, at some point I am hoping the NIC bitch figures that out and leaves me alone.  But if she decides she needs to come fuck with me every month or so.. so be it.  I guess I earned that. 

However NIC bitch when you do come to see me the answer is going to be the same as the last time you visitedÂ…..

Gives me wood!

'clap' 'clap' 'clap'
Mustang,
I hope you mean what you posted. I post my quit hoping it does help others. The vets here have helped me achieve something I have not been able to do on my own, and I feel a huge obligation to help others.

Quitting is hard work, I will help you in whatever way I can. Be serious about your quit, if you are you will get all the support you need. All I ask is do not come into this with a weak ass resolve, post your promise and keep your word. It really is that simple... not easy, but simple.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
Day 168

The last couple of days were strange.  If it was a funk then it was different than any of the funks I have had before. It was more like a blah, fukit, kinda feeling.  I think it was just another lame ass attempt by the NIC bitch  to wiggle her way back into my life.  Kind of hard to explain, I was not really craving but the thought of dipping was on my mind more than it had been in recent memory, and my mood was a little down.  I had even watched some of the smokers today at work and did not feel the disgust I typically do.  I posted roll in my group only to find many of them talking about the same sorts of things so maybe it was a funk, whatever it was I kicked that shit to the curb. 

Gives me wood!

'clap' 'clap' 'clap'
Thanks Ready ! You have inspired my quit. Some day I will be a quit stud like you !!

One day at a time !!

Offline mustangs21089

• Quitter
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Day 168

The last couple of days were strange.  If it was a funk then it was different than any of the funks I have had before. It was more like a blah, fukit, kinda feeling.  I think it was just another lame ass attempt by the NIC bitch  to wiggle her way back into my life.  Kind of hard to explain, I was not really craving but the thought of dipping was on my mind more than it had been in recent memory, and my mood was a little down.  I had even watched some of the smokers today at work and did not feel the disgust I typically do.  I posted roll in my group only to find many of them talking about the same sorts of things so maybe it was a funk, whatever it was I kicked that shit to the curb. 

Gives me wood!

'clap' 'clap' 'clap'
!!!!CRaViN bUt I AiNt CaVin!!!!

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Day 168

The last couple of days were strange. If it was a funk then it was different than any of the funks I have had before. It was more like a blah, fukit, kinda feeling. I think it was just another lame ass attempt by the NIC bitch to wiggle her way back into my life. Kind of hard to explain, I was not really craving but the thought of dipping was on my mind more than it had been in recent memory, and my mood was a little down. I had even watched some of the smokers today at work and did not feel the disgust I typically do. I posted roll in my group only to find many of them talking about the same sorts of things so maybe it was a funk, whatever it was I kicked that shit to the curb.

Today has been much better. I am feeling like I have been. I have to laugh now when shit like the last couple of days happens. No way I am sticking that shit in my face again, at some point I am hoping the NIC bitch figures that out and leaves me alone. But if she decides she needs to come fuck with me every month or so.. so be it. I guess I earned that.

Fuck off ! I donÂ’t do that shit anymoreÂ….
Gives me wood!

'clap' 'clap' 'clap'

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Day 168

The last couple of days were strange. If it was a funk then it was different than any of the funks I have had before. It was more like a blah, fukit, kinda feeling. I think it was just another lame ass attempt by the NIC bitch to wiggle her way back into my life. Kind of hard to explain, I was not really craving but the thought of dipping was on my mind more than it had been in recent memory, and my mood was a little down. I had even watched some of the smokers today at work and did not feel the disgust I typically do. I posted roll in my group only to find many of them talking about the same sorts of things so maybe it was a funk, whatever it was I kicked that shit to the curb.

Today has been much better. I am feeling like I have been. I have to laugh now when shit like the last couple of days happens. No way I am sticking that shit in my face again, at some point I am hoping the NIC bitch figures that out and leaves me alone. But if she decides she needs to come fuck with me every month or so.. so be it. I guess I earned that.

Fuck off ! I donÂ’t do that shit anymoreÂ….

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
Day 160

Another good day in the books and one more day away from the NIC bitch. I took the day off with the plan of golfing in the morning, going to get some wings and beer and watch the Masters in the afternoon. The weather did not allow any golfing today, cold, windy. I did get to watch the Masters however. But what I really did was spend a ton of time on the site today reading and I have to say I am not happy, so this post is for the newbies.

Newbies; I lived on this site for the first 100 days or more of my quit. I logged in at work, read, posted, read some more. I learned what makes this place work, and what is expected of me to be a member of this community. Not sure how I got any work done really with the amount of time I spent here, but I did manage to keep my job. This site was the one thing I could rely on each day. My moods were all over the place, I slept like shit off and on, my appetite was all over the place, but this place was constant there was going to be something said that I needed to hear to push me to the next day, so I read, read, read, posted my own two cents, basically leaned on my brothers and this site to keep me going and I could always be found in the live chat at night. I have been spending less time during the day on here, which is probably good for me keeping my job, but I still post my promise every morning, and I am still active on here at night.

I have to say I do not believe you are reading enough on this site. You log in post your promise and “hope” you can quit. That my dear newbie is not going to get it done. You need to read what is expected on this site. You cannot post your promise and then dip; that is not how this works. Our word to each other is what keeps us quit, at least for me it has been the ONLY thing that has, the first 160 days clean in the past 23+ years of my life. I see way too many people taking roll call for granted and it is pissing me off. Posting roll is the cornerstone of this site, stop shitting on it !!

Quitting is hard, the hardest thing I have ever done, but also one of the most rewarding. Yes I still have “ off “ days that I did not have when I was dipping all the time, but my life is much better now than before. All I ask of you is to read what is expected from you and live up to that. If you cannot keep your promise when you post roll then you are not ready to quit.

I hope all of you reading this have made your decision and are ready to quit and post your promise. If so we will welcome you and help you any way we can. Post your promise and dipÂ… well that is another story.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
I am happier on most days. I still have days that suck ass, but for the most part I am happier. I am nicer to people, I let people out in traffic, I spend more time with my wife and daughter so whatever is causing that then I am all for it.

Now I just need to figure out a way to get rid of the "off" days. Guess that comes with more time.

Offline Mjollnir

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
On the subject of chemical control of dopamine, I agree completely. This may sound strange, but to you I'm sure it doesn't. I am much happier since I quit. It took a while but its true. Not the kinda instant happy that goes away fast, but the deep seated joy of living. I've enjoyed this Spring greatly, Work is interesting and enjoyable, I am happy to be with my family after work and on the weekends.

Because of this, other people around me are happier. Letting someone in in traffic, positive reinforcement of a coworker's work, etc.

It has been interesting and I'm glad I broke through the initial fog and waited.

Thanks for your commitment Greg.

Offline teamgreen

• Quitter
  • Interests: Kicking the nic bitch in the taint.
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
Nicotine and dipping facts

For those of you that might still be reminiscing about how "good" it was to dip or how "fun" it was take a look at a few facts I pulled off some different web sites today. The good news is we are all quit so this does not apply to us any longer. Newbies, if you have not quit yet maybe this will kick you in the ass and get you motivated to quit.

Nicotine was first isolated from the tobacco plant in 1828 by German chemists Posselt  Reimann, who considered it a poison

It functions as an antiherbivore chemical with particular specificity to insects; therefore nicotine was widely used as an insecticide in the past

There are growing concerns that long-term nicotine use may actually be eating away and destroying the brain.

Recent studies suggest that it is irrelevant if nicotine is administrated by cigarettes, chewing gum, or oral tobacco products. The effects on the body are the same.

Nicotine is a super toxin. Drop for drop it is deadlier than diamondback rattlesnake venom, more lethal than strychnine and three times deadlier than arsenic

A natural insecticide, it has no business inside the human mouth, bloodstream or brain.

According to the American Heart Association, the "nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break."

Chemical dependency upon nicotine is every bit as real, deep and permanent as alcoholism, crystal meth, or heroin addiction.

As with other drugs of addiction, an external chemical has taken the smokeless tobacco user's brain dopamine reward pathways hostage, quickly burying almost all memory of what life without nicotine was like.

Dipping 8 to 10 times a day can bring as much nicotine into the body as smoking 30-40 cigarettes

Chewing tobacco contains 28 carcinogens, including tobacco-specific nitrosamines. Other cancer-causing substances include formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, crotonaldeyde, hydrazine, arsenic, nickel, cadmium, benzopyrene and polonium (which gives off radiation).

Dependency researchers tell us that nicotine may be the most perfectly designed drug of addiction. It not only causes the release of dopamine but shuts off flow of the chemical assigned to clean-up dopamine once released (MAO B, also known as the killjoy enzyme). This allows adjoining brain cells to remain under the influence of dopamine longer.

Encountering a trigger cannot trigger relapse unless you take a dip. But take heart. Most triggers are reconditioned and extinguished by a single encounter during which the subconscious mind fails to receive the expected result - nicotine.

None of this shit sounds very good to me except the last part about kicking Nicotines ass and re-wiring my brain. Good thing I am QUIT !!
Very interesting stuff, Greg. The last part about breaking the reward system rings true to me. I definitely feel that once I beat a particular trigger once, it is much easier after that. Thanks for collecting all that.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Nicotine and dipping facts

For those of you that might still be reminiscing about how "good" it was to dip or how "fun" it was take a look at a few facts I pulled off some different web sites today. The good news is we are all quit so this does not apply to us any longer. Newbies, if you have not quit yet maybe this will kick you in the ass and get you motivated to quit.

Nicotine was first isolated from the tobacco plant in 1828 by German chemists Posselt  Reimann, who considered it a poison

It functions as an antiherbivore chemical with particular specificity to insects; therefore nicotine was widely used as an insecticide in the past

There are growing concerns that long-term nicotine use may actually be eating away and destroying the brain.

Recent studies suggest that it is irrelevant if nicotine is administrated by cigarettes, chewing gum, or oral tobacco products. The effects on the body are the same.

Nicotine is a super toxin. Drop for drop it is deadlier than diamondback rattlesnake venom, more lethal than strychnine and three times deadlier than arsenic

A natural insecticide, it has no business inside the human mouth, bloodstream or brain.

According to the American Heart Association, the "nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break."

Chemical dependency upon nicotine is every bit as real, deep and permanent as alcoholism, crystal meth, or heroin addiction.

As with other drugs of addiction, an external chemical has taken the smokeless tobacco user's brain dopamine reward pathways hostage, quickly burying almost all memory of what life without nicotine was like.

Dipping 8 to 10 times a day can bring as much nicotine into the body as smoking 30-40 cigarettes

Chewing tobacco contains 28 carcinogens, including tobacco-specific nitrosamines. Other cancer-causing substances include formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, crotonaldeyde, hydrazine, arsenic, nickel, cadmium, benzopyrene and polonium (which gives off radiation).

Dependency researchers tell us that nicotine may be the most perfectly designed drug of addiction. It not only causes the release of dopamine but shuts off flow of the chemical assigned to clean-up dopamine once released (MAO B, also known as the killjoy enzyme). This allows adjoining brain cells to remain under the influence of dopamine longer.

Encountering a trigger cannot trigger relapse unless you take a dip. But take heart. Most triggers are reconditioned and extinguished by a single encounter during which the subconscious mind fails to receive the expected result - nicotine.

None of this shit sounds very good to me except the last part about kicking Nicotines ass and re-wiring my brain. Good thing I am QUIT !!

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Helping others

It still amazes me how many people on this site are willing to drop what they are doing and will help you with whatever problem you may be having. While this is a nicotine cessation site it goes far beyond that. This site is the way things should be. You see a brother/sister struggling and you immediately rush to help them. Imagine what it would be like if the world was like this place.

I know for certain I am going out of my way now to help people when I see they need it. For me that is a new experience. I would have to admit I was somewhat of a dick prior to my quit. I spent my days worrying just about myself, never spent much time looking to see if anyone around me needed help. How sad; I wasted thousands of chances to make a difference in someone elseÂ’s day/life. This quit has forced me to look differently at myself and to be honest I did not like what I saw. I am changing that daily.

Newbies, the reason for this post is for you to understand how this place works. In the beginning of my quit I was not comfortable giving my number out over the internet, I simply posted my number and logged off the site. I really believe I did not want others to be able to get in touch with me, I wanted an out if I needed one. Ask yourself, if you could do this on your own why are you here? You are here to get the support this place offers so make sure you are using the site the way it is meant to be used. Let people get to know you and reach out if you need help.

Get numbers and give yours out freely, get to know people on here and plan to meet some face to face. It has power you cannot imagine. I have had the unique opportunity to talk to numerous people from this site. I now have friends all over the country and I plan to meet as many as I can. My phone now has 40+ numbers in it and I have given mine out more than a two dollar hooker. The point is I am now willing to help others, and I WANT to help others.

I have had the privilege of helping three different quitters through rough times and helping them keep their quits ! Each time I got off the phone I felt like such a bad ass it is hard to explain. Helping others has a power you cannot believe and will make your quit that much stronger.