Author Topic: No looking back  (Read 16410 times)

Offline LionHeartedGirl

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: No looking back
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
Quote from: FIGHTIN-IGNORANCE
Quote from: Luby
July 10  11

Two days that were basically the same day. My wife had Sunday and Monday off so as a ninja it was easier to be a guy who uses less, since even before my monumnetal, geniuos idea to be an occasional dipper I never dipped in front of my wife. She did go workout each morning however and I managed to shove one in my face each day. Looking back what I remember most about these two days (and actually Tuesday and Wednesday of my last attempt fall into this category as well) is just how in denial I was. I had tried to quit for years and I had really built this one up in my mind, I did not even make it a week yet I was feeling no regret, no shame, and I'd been feeling ashamed for years. This time was such a colossal failure my mind wouldn't even think about it yet. Almost like I was in shock and not facing the reality of the situation.
Them damn defense mechanisms. The can block out all kinds of crap for awhile. Good for you to realize that messed up thinking though.

Bye the way LionHeartedGirl please for give me when you read my posts and they say "guys" as inclusive for all on the forum. I know there are great women out there fighting this Nic crap and giving great feedback as well. You Specifically!!!!! It is just a habit.
I don't mind. When I'm in the locker room (that's how I think of this place) I know I'm gonna be "one of the boys". :)
QUIT LIKE A GIRL!

Quit Date: 5/23/13
HOF: 8/30/13

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
July 10  11

Two days that were basically the same day. My wife had Sunday and Monday off so as a ninja it was easier to be a guy who uses less, since even before my monumnetal, geniuos idea to be an occasional dipper I never dipped in front of my wife. She did go workout each morning however and I managed to shove one in my face each day. Looking back what I remember most about these two days (and actually Tuesday and Wednesday of my last attempt fall into this category as well) is just how in denial I was. I had tried to quit for years and I had really built this one up in my mind, I did not even make it a week yet I was feeling no regret, no shame, and I'd been feeling ashamed for years. This time was such a colossal failure my mind wouldn't even think about it yet. Almost like I was in shock and not facing the reality of the situation.

Love me some Luby! Thank you, dude.
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline FIGHTIN-IGNORANCE

• Quitter
  • Interests: Studying the "Word", My Two Boys, Hunting, fishing, Softball, Roller Hockey, learning to play acoustic guitar,
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
July 10  11

Them damn defense mechanisms. The can block out all kinds of crap for awhile. Good for you to realize that messed up thinking though.

Bye the way LionHeartedGirl please for give me when you read my posts and they say "guys" as inclusive for all on the forum. I know there are great women out there fighting this Nic crap and giving great feedback as well. You Specifically!!!!! It is just a habit.
Quit Date 6/26/2013
DUCK FIP'S FOR LIFE!!
'KICKIN THE CAN' All Day Long!
Complancency sucks,one moment of it is the difference between being a user and a quitter....OIB

Someone, somewhere out there is suffering through a more intense crave than me and that person is staying quit. As will I. -JoeMellow

The connection of a common problem is strong, but the connection of a common solution is even stronger.-gorilla1

When we think we can't quit... We can... Cause ducks fly together... When the craves are to much to handle... Us ducks fly together.... When you want to cave... You won't... Because ducks fly together. Per our Jpete328
Freedom Started 06/26/2013....Freedom continues because of my choice and accountability from MY FELLOW DUCKS! QUACK ! QUACK! Thank You!

Offline LionHeartedGirl

• Quitter
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
July 10  11

Damn this is good stuff!
QUIT LIKE A GIRL!

Quit Date: 5/23/13
HOF: 8/30/13

Offline luby

• Quitting MoFo
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
July 10  11

Offline FIGHTIN-IGNORANCE

• Quitter
  • Interests: Studying the "Word", My Two Boys, Hunting, fishing, Softball, Roller Hockey, learning to play acoustic guitar,
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
Oh yeah. I am picking it up loud and clear. I am sure others are as well. I am left wondering if other fellow quitters are smiling as big as I was when reading these last comments. Not smiling because it is a joke. I am smiling because I am happy I am beginning to recognize the idiotic thinking now a I had before. I know I have to stay on top of this as I sat and still sit here fighting some of that perverse addiction thinking just a few minutes ago.

This reminiscing can be fun but us newbies need to be careful. From the addiction world this is called Euphoric Recall. That is when we reminisce of a time we used and had positive experiences with our drug of choice. It is a subconscious attempt by our addiction to get us consciously thinking about using again and only associating the positive feelings with it. That way we are more likely to cave. Boys becareful with this. Especially us newbies. You can't prevent it just make sure you get yourself out or thinking about the negative aspects as quick as possible. Basically, RIGHT NOW!!!

Man I love this site and the input guys give. This is strength that keeps me focused. It is Awesome! :D
Quit Date 6/26/2013
DUCK FIP'S FOR LIFE!!
'KICKIN THE CAN' All Day Long!
Complancency sucks,one moment of it is the difference between being a user and a quitter....OIB

Someone, somewhere out there is suffering through a more intense crave than me and that person is staying quit. As will I. -JoeMellow

The connection of a common problem is strong, but the connection of a common solution is even stronger.-gorilla1

When we think we can't quit... We can... Cause ducks fly together... When the craves are to much to handle... Us ducks fly together.... When you want to cave... You won't... Because ducks fly together. Per our Jpete328
Freedom Started 06/26/2013....Freedom continues because of my choice and accountability from MY FELLOW DUCKS! QUACK ! QUACK! Thank You!

Offline nsg4

• Quitter
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
Love the random thoughts of reminiscing! Hope the newbies are picking up on this

I am.....

Offline jake frawley

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Interests: I'm married to a beautiful lady. I like to lift weights and run. I play poker and win. I spend as much time riding as I can! I go to work every day and work too many hrs. I'm aggressive! And all of this makes me happy. I'm here to quit the one thing I hate about myself, my addiction to chew. It has ruled me and I wont be controlled anymore!
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
July 9, 2011
The perfect day to test my new way of life as someone who dips a little. I had a two hour drive to Portland so I had one dip on the way, and planned for one more on the way home. In between drives I had to work 10 hours at a Major league socce game, not my favorite sport but it still pays. This being the case there would be no reason not to leave the can in my car, I of course put it in my bag and headed to work. I was on headsets early for the game and bored so I had another one, cus you know it was a work thing, then when the game was over I had a little quick one while I took down my camera, but it was smaller so it was all good. I can honestly say I was ignoring all rational thoughts that my quitting dip had turned into me justifying 2 dips and that those 2 dips had turned into four.....
I wasn't facing reality at all but my days as an occasional dipper were off to a fairly ugly beginning.
Their is such a thing as an occasional dipper? Damn wish I knew that in my 20's. I was 2 cans a day for almost 17 years. Maybe that was occasional..... Glad to see you posted this. It's clear we cannot CONTROL our addiction. The only way it works is none at all!

Offline luby

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
July 9, 2011
The perfect day to test my new way of life as someone who dips a little. I had a two hour drive to Portland so I had one dip on the way, and planned for one more on the way home. In between drives I had to work 10 hours at a Major league socce game, not my favorite sport but it still pays. This being the case there would be no reason not to leave the can in my car, I of course put it in my bag and headed to work. I was on headsets early for the game and bored so I had another one, cus you know it was a work thing, then when the game was over I had a little quick one while I took down my camera, but it was smaller so it was all good. I can honestly say I was ignoring all rational thoughts that my quitting dip had turned into me justifying 2 dips and that those 2 dips had turned into four.....
I wasn't facing reality at all but my days as an occasional dipper were off to a fairly ugly beginning.

Offline rangy96

• Quitter
  • Interests: not dipping
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
July 8, 2011

Friday morning, I woke up had a couple cups of coffee drove to the convenience store bought a big diet coke and can of Skoal Mint, drove home and put a dip in....

It was that simple.

It was almost like I wasn't even awake, all the addict parts of my brain had shut down the reasonable, logical parts. I had no tools to deal with this and I let it happen. I was not a part of KTC then, hell looking back on it I know I wasn't quit, it was an attempt and a half assed one at that. Over the next few days I will answer the three questions.
Looking back on it the most depressing part of this failure was the incredibly depressing reasoning behind it. There was no way I was gonna be able to quit forever so why even bother trying.
But I wasn't thinking that way on this day 2 years ago, my brain wasn't allowing logic for awhile, I wasn't even enjoying the lip full of cancer it was just pure auto pilot on that first dip.
Later that afternoon I had another dip before my wife came home and that is when addict logic started to take over. I remember thinking I was now gonna become the occasional dipper! I would not chew nearly the same amount, hell I'd just gone 5 days with no trouble I would do that on a regular basis, and at work where a can was lucky to get me through a day I would just have one or two.
That is where my mind was 2 years ago today.
Ahh the occasional dipper rationalization!! One of my faves! I "only dipped occassionally" for about 10 years at the rate of roughly a can a day. What a difference 2 years make!

Stay strong Luby my man. Stay strong. Proud to be quit with you.

Rangy96.

Offline dforbes

• Quitter
    • theratsnake.com
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Love the random thoughts of reminiscing! Hope the newbies are picking up on this
Don't be a pussy....just for TODAY.
"the only thing dip does for you is relieve the symptoms of not having any" - theo
Follow some of by BS at Quit4Today Blog
To my dear friend Ken.....I miss you man. Only Way One Should Live
The Rat Snake - A Tribute Race

Offline luby

• Quitting MoFo
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
July 8, 2011

Friday morning, I woke up had a couple cups of coffee drove to the convenience store bought a big diet coke and can of Skoal Mint, drove home and put a dip in....

It was that simple.

It was almost like I wasn't even awake, all the addict parts of my brain had shut down the reasonable, logical parts. I had no tools to deal with this and I let it happen. I was not a part of KTC then, hell looking back on it I know I wasn't quit, it was an attempt and a half assed one at that. Over the next few days I will answer the three questions.
Looking back on it the most depressing part of this failure was the incredibly depressing reasoning behind it. There was no way I was gonna be able to quit forever so why even bother trying.
But I wasn't thinking that way on this day 2 years ago, my brain wasn't allowing logic for awhile, I wasn't even enjoying the lip full of cancer it was just pure auto pilot on that first dip.
Later that afternoon I had another dip before my wife came home and that is when addict logic started to take over. I remember thinking I was now gonna become the occasional dipper! I would not chew nearly the same amount, hell I'd just gone 5 days with no trouble I would do that on a regular basis, and at work where a can was lucky to get me through a day I would just have one or two.
That is where my mind was 2 years ago today.

Offline jbradley

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
Quote from: Tiburonbob
Quote from: wastepanel
July 7, 2011
I don't remember the specifics of this Thursday but I do know that today is when things started to go wrong, I didn't have any good reasons, other than the fact I am an addict, nor did I have any tools to deal with it, but "forever" was starting to look way too big. I also remember thinking in these early days of my last attempt that I wish one of my dipping friends was quitting as well so at least I had somebody to talk to, my most successful attempt up to this point me and a work buddy quit at the same time, that one lasted a couple months, this one was completely on my own, and it was getting really shakey, really quick.
'Popcorn'

Loving this.
This so cool. What a great idea. Leave it to Lubes to think of something like this.
'Popcorn'

Offline Tiburonbob

• Quitter
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Quote from: wastepanel
July 7, 2011
I don't remember the specifics of this Thursday but I do know that today is when things started to go wrong, I didn't have any good reasons, other than the fact I am an addict, nor did I have any tools to deal with it, but "forever" was starting to look way too big. I also remember thinking in these early days of my last attempt that I wish one of my dipping friends was quitting as well so at least I had somebody to talk to, my most successful attempt up to this point me and a work buddy quit at the same time, that one lasted a couple months, this one was completely on my own, and it was getting really shakey, really quick.
'Popcorn'

Loving this.
This so cool. What a great idea. Leave it to Lubes to think of something like this.

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
July 7, 2011
'Popcorn'

Loving this.
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021