Author Topic: rtpope intro  (Read 11175 times)

Offline Doc Chewfree

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2014-02-06
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: rtpope intro
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Quote from: Krusty
Quote from: rtpope
Day 42 - Six Weeks!!!!!!  In school, 6 weeks was the grading period.  So far I'm at 100% on posting roll.  I only average 2 posts/day which is probably a C.  I am inconsistent in live chat.  I read intros at least 2 and more like 5 times/day.  Overall, I'm quitting with everything I have, but the grade sheet probably doesn't reflect that.  I don't know if it does or not....

I was in chat tonight and sow as Chewie.  Of course I feel like I'm in the presence of a rock star.  There was a guy in there who caved after 10 hours.  We were all encouraging him to do better.  I said "I can't cave today, I promised my quit group I wouldn't use today."  Chewie then quoted me and called me a FUCKING STUD. 

I know that as a website dominated by men it is more likely that we get tough love instead of encouragement.  I am more likely to give tough words and Sarcasm instead of encouragement.  Chewie made my night.  I feel like I'm getting what the point of this site is and am taking my life back ODAAT by making my promise to the Mayhem every morning. 

I'm the weird guy that has to create a ritual out of things.  I do not like to do things just out of routine without thinking about why I'm doing it.  Every morning I shower before posting roll.  While I'm showering, I think about whether or not I'm going to commit to not using today.  Because I've given my commitment thought, I know the answer to my craves when they come throughout the day.

Take away points:  Vets, be encouraging - it makes an impact.  New guys - think about the commitment you are making when you post roll.
I'm inclined to side with the respected vet on this one, RT -- you ARE a stud. You're owning this quit, but not to the point of losing your perspective about the challenges of it, particularly if you were to go it alone.

Don't look now, but it seems as though you've cleanly swapped out one daily routine (that happened to be toxic) for a new one that gets you thinking about your quit from the outset of each day. Between that, your 100% posting "grade", the occasional trip to chat room, the accountability group, and your regular quit journal entries, I'd submit that you've gleaned some valuable info from the guys that came long before us. Well done, RT -- keep it up, and see you on roll in the AM!
Way to go Pope. You are winning!
Dude, if you keep your word and continue to post...you are the stud of all studs.
Quit with you.
Brave men are honored, rich men are envied, powerful men are feared, but only a man with character is trusted
Quit on Feb. 6, 2014

Offline Krusty

• Quitter
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2014, 04:29:00 AM »
Day 42 - Six Weeks!!!!!! In school, 6 weeks was the grading period. So far I'm at 100% on posting roll. I only average 2 posts/day which is probably a C. I am inconsistent in live chat. I read intros at least 2 and more like 5 times/day. Overall, I'm quitting with everything I have, but the grade sheet probably doesn't reflect that. I don't know if it does or not....

I was in chat tonight and sow as Chewie. Of course I feel like I'm in the presence of a rock star. There was a guy in there who caved after 10 hours. We were all encouraging him to do better. I said "I can't cave today, I promised my quit group I wouldn't use today." Chewie then quoted me and called me a FUCKING STUD.

I know that as a website dominated by men it is more likely that we get tough love instead of encouragement. I am more likely to give tough words and Sarcasm instead of encouragement. Chewie made my night. I feel like I'm getting what the point of this site is and am taking my life back ODAAT by making my promise to the Mayhem every morning.

I'm the weird guy that has to create a ritual out of things. I do not like to do things just out of routine without thinking about why I'm doing it. Every morning I shower before posting roll. While I'm showering, I think about whether or not I'm going to commit to not using today. Because I've given my commitment thought, I know the answer to my craves when they come throughout the day.

Take away points: Vets, be encouraging - it makes an impact. New guys - think about the commitment you are making when you post roll.
I'm inclined to side with the respected vet on this one, RT -- you ARE a stud. You're owning this quit, but not to the point of losing your perspective about the challenges of it, particularly if you were to go it alone.

Don't look now, but it seems as though you've cleanly swapped out one daily routine (that happened to be toxic) for a new one that gets you thinking about your quit from the outset of each day. Between that, your 100% posting "grade", the occasional trip to chat room, the accountability group, and your regular quit journal entries, I'd submit that you've gleaned some valuable info from the guys that came long before us. Well done, RT -- keep it up, and see you on roll in the AM!

Offline rtpope

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Umpiring baseball, hunting, fishing, college baskeball, NFL, basically sports in general....
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
Day 42 - Six Weeks!!!!!! In school, 6 weeks was the grading period. So far I'm at 100% on posting roll. I only average 2 posts/day which is probably a C. I am inconsistent in live chat. I read intros at least 2 and more like 5 times/day. Overall, I'm quitting with everything I have, but the grade sheet probably doesn't reflect that. I don't know if it does or not....

I was in chat tonight and sow as Chewie. Of course I feel like I'm in the presence of a rock star. There was a guy in there who caved after 10 hours. We were all encouraging him to do better. I said "I can't cave today, I promised my quit group I wouldn't use today." Chewie then quoted me and called me a FUCKING STUD.

I know that as a website dominated by men it is more likely that we get tough love instead of encouragement. I am more likely to give tough words and Sarcasm instead of encouragement. Chewie made my night. I feel like I'm getting what the point of this site is and am taking my life back ODAAT by making my promise to the Mayhem every morning.

I'm the weird guy that has to create a ritual out of things. I do not like to do things just out of routine without thinking about why I'm doing it. Every morning I shower before posting roll. While I'm showering, I think about whether or not I'm going to commit to not using today. Because I've given my commitment thought, I know the answer to my craves when they come throughout the day.

Take away points: Vets, be encouraging - it makes an impact. New guys - think about the commitment you are making when you post roll.

Offline MonsterMedic

• Master of Quit
  • Proud member of the June 2014 Quit Saloon
  • Quit Date: 03.02.14
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Day 35 - Five weeks!!! People used to ask me if I ever wanted to quit dipping or if I ever going to quit. These two questions are vastly different. I wanted to quit, but didn't feel like I could. I did not think I would ever quit dipping. As I've said before, I'm a newly wed and a Certified Financial Planner (work as a Trust officer for a bank). Soon after my wedding, I wanted to take out a life insurance policy from my buddy so that if I died, my wife would be provided for. He asked me if I could go 4 days without dip so I could get a non-tobacco rate. My response was "if I could go 4 days I would never go back...hell if I could go 4 hours I would be pumped." That is how I remember thinking about dip. I did just have to have it, I would not be able to live without it. I remember being drunk and sticking a can in the pocket of a chair and not remembering where I put my almost full can before I went to bed. I was too drunk to drive to the store to get another and was too paranoid to go to bed without having my Cope on the nightstand waiting for me when the alarm went off...how freaking sad is that??

Lately I've been having some really weird thoughts. I think about dip and at times still want that shit. My mind races to taking a pinch, the smell, the texture, the feeling on my finger.... I then think "well I can't do it now, I've come too far and I couldn't tell my group I failed in my quit." So then my brain says "well, it will happen again...." The messed up part is I consciously think "I can't do it today because I posted roll." I hope I live another 60 years (87 is a long life..) and it seems I will have to post roll another 60 years at this point.

I hope at some point....and hopefully soon...the thought of a dip makes my stomach turn and disgusts me. For the time being, I will continue to give you my word EDD and QLF so that I can keep it. I no longer lie to myself. I no longer shy away from being an addict; I embrace it. I have to focus on today and just win the day. There is no tomorrow without today - just win the day.
You put it perfectly. People who have made it to your point and beyond are an inspiration to people like me who are on day 13.
"Frank Pierce: Saving someone's life is like falling in love. The best drug in the world." - Bringing Out The Dead

Quit Date: 03-02-2014
HOF: 06-09-2014
3K and counting

Offline slug.go

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 1/23/14
  • Interests: Family, motorcycles, all sports, hunting, fishing, guns
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
Day 35 - Five weeks!!! People used to ask me if I ever wanted to quit dipping or if I ever going to quit. These two questions are vastly different. I wanted to quit, but didn't feel like I could. I did not think I would ever quit dipping. As I've said before, I'm a newly wed and a Certified Financial Planner (work as a Trust officer for a bank). Soon after my wedding, I wanted to take out a life insurance policy from my buddy so that if I died, my wife would be provided for. He asked me if I could go 4 days without dip so I could get a non-tobacco rate. My response was "if I could go 4 days I would never go back...hell if I could go 4 hours I would be pumped." That is how I remember thinking about dip. I did just have to have it, I would not be able to live without it. I remember being drunk and sticking a can in the pocket of a chair and not remembering where I put my almost full can before I went to bed. I was too drunk to drive to the store to get another and was too paranoid to go to bed without having my Cope on the nightstand waiting for me when the alarm went off...how freaking sad is that??

Lately I've been having some really weird thoughts. I think about dip and at times still want that shit. My mind races to taking a pinch, the smell, the texture, the feeling on my finger.... I then think "well I can't do it now, I've come too far and I couldn't tell my group I failed in my quit." So then my brain says "well, it will happen again...." The messed up part is I consciously think "I can't do it today because I posted roll." I hope I live another 60 years (87 is a long life..) and it seems I will have to post roll another 60 years at this point.

I hope at some point....and hopefully soon...the thought of a dip makes my stomach turn and disgusts me. For the time being, I will continue to give you my word EDD and QLF so that I can keep it. I no longer lie to myself. I no longer shy away from being an addict; I embrace it. I have to focus on today and just win the day. There is no tomorrow without today - just win the day.
powerful words, RT.
Quit since 1/23/14

Offline rtpope

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Umpiring baseball, hunting, fishing, college baskeball, NFL, basically sports in general....
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »

Offline rtpope

• Quit Pro
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
Time for another update. Not too much going on these days in that quitting has become part of my every day routine. It is weird to stand in line at the c store, staring at the can of poison and think "I can't believe I'm not buying one or five of those cans." Quitting has taken over a lot of my energy, which is good, I remain focused.

The not so good part at day 27 is I'm starting to get the sores in my mouth. I've noticed that when I wake up in the morning, there is less dead skin inside my lip, but I've got like 5 or 6 little ulcers coming in. The next few days with these things is going to suck. I'm embracing how much this sucks as my mouth is healing. I read somewhere that as your mouth heals, your taste buds can change, waiting for that to happen.

Keep on quitting fellow quitters. I'm with you ODAAT.

Offline Mogul

• Quitter
  • Interests: Pilot
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
I'm am idiot. When I decided to quit, I did not go through every possible place where I may have put a can of poison to make sure I threw it all out. I usually enjoy the majority of my lunch break in my car this time of year so that I can listen to sports radio talking about NC State/ACC basketball (ACC basketball is better than any other conference - we have 60 yrs of kicking your ass if we you want to argue). Yesterday, while listening to the analysis of my alma mater, NCSCU, losing by 1 in OT to our arch nemesis, UNC-CHeat, I found an old can of Skoal Mint Xtra in my center console. This can was at least 6 months old. I put it back as soon as I found it. When I got in the car after work and started driving home, I immediately thought about it. After a couple minutes thinking about how I could dip this dry, old dip to convince myself I didn't like it anymore, I finally decided that slug.go, Krusty, Grizclaws, RaliPaul  Aggie would not accept that explanation for my use of dip and poured the can into an old drink cup (filled with water).

I was proud of myself for putting the dip into the cup of water so that it was unusable . I was even prouder for thinking beyond the pinch. I have read enough to know that a pinch at this point will not taste good, will produce feelings of guilt, shame and embarrassment and depression. I'm not going to beckon those negative consequences for something that I do not need. Fuck you nicotine, I'll continue to put you in irretrievable places. I'll flush the fuck out of you. I'll dump you in a heart beat. I'll spit upon you nic bitch. Fuck You, I don't need you. I am starting to hate you. Not quite to the level of srans, but getting there. I'm starting to understand how much you lied to me and how much you have cost me. I missed 4-5 min of my Grandfather's funeral so that I could slip out to the bathroom and put in a dip. Fuck you nic bitch. My grandfather was the best man that ever walked this earth (argue with me, I dare you, I'll fight you) and during the remembrance of his life, I was stuffing my face with poison.....FUCK....no longer will I be that shitty of a person.
'worship' 'worship' 'worship'.

Excellent. I read this 3 times I liked it so much.

Offline jake frawley

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Interests: I'm married to a beautiful lady. I like to lift weights and run. I play poker and win. I spend as much time riding as I can! I go to work every day and work too many hrs. I'm aggressive! And all of this makes me happy. I'm here to quit the one thing I hate about myself, my addiction to chew. It has ruled me and I wont be controlled anymore!
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Quote from: T-Cell
Quote from: derk40
Quote from: slug.go
Quote from: Evil_Won
I'm am idiot.  When I decided to quit, I did not go through every possible place where I may have put a can of poison to make sure I threw it all out.  I usually enjoy the majority of my lunch break in my car this time of year so that I can listen to sports radio talking about NC State/ACC basketball (ACC basketball is better than any other conference - we have 60 yrs of kicking your ass if we you want to argue).  Yesterday, while listening to the analysis of my alma mater, NCSCU, losing by 1 in OT to our arch nemesis, UNC-CHeat, I found an old can of Skoal Mint Xtra in my center console.  This can was at least 6 months old.  I put it back as soon as I found it.  When I got in the car after work and started driving home, I immediately thought about it.  After a couple minutes thinking about how I could dip this dry, old dip to convince myself I didn't like it anymore, I finally decided that slug.go, Krusty, Grizclaws, RaliPaul  Aggie would not accept that explanation for my use of dip and poured the can into an old drink cup (filled with water). 

I was proud of myself for putting the dip into the cup of water so that it was unusable .  I was even prouder for thinking beyond the pinch.  I have read enough to know that a pinch at this point will not taste good, will produce feelings of guilt, shame and embarrassment and depression.  I'm not going to beckon those negative consequences for something that I do not need.  Fuck you nicotine, I'll continue to put you in irretrievable places.  I'll flush the fuck out of you.  I'll dump you in a heart beat.  I'll spit upon you nic bitch.  Fuck You, I don't need you.  I am starting to hate you.  Not quite to the level of srans, but getting there.  I'm starting to understand how much you lied to me and how much you have cost me.  I missed 4-5 min of my Grandfather's funeral so that I could slip out to the bathroom and put in a dip.  Fuck you nic bitch.  My grandfather was the best man that ever walked this earth (argue with me, I dare you, I'll fight you) and during the remembrance of his life, I was stuffing my face with poison.....FUCK....no longer will I be that shitty of a person.
Hate will take you far. Never forget your loses due to the Bitch. Good post.
Proud of you RT! Thanks for saving me a 5 hour drive just so I could kick you in the nuts. :D
Well done RT. I think I found an old tin of copenhagen about 60 days in... felt the blood leave my face and got a knot in my gut. I went straight to the head and flushed it. Just like you did.

That is how you do it! Big victory for you. Keep at it today. Quit!
Nice job. Every time you slam a door an angel gets its wings...
Keep slamming them on the nic bitch.
Very good! Hate for the chew will help a lot! That's a good victory there!

Offline T-Cell

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2012-02-10
  • Interests: Flyfishing, ice hockey (go Avs, go Pioneers!).Wife Sandra, 2 adult kids.
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
Quote from: derk40
I'm am idiot.  When I decided to quit, I did not go through every possible place where I may have put a can of poison to make sure I threw it all out.  I usually enjoy the majority of my lunch break in my car this time of year so that I can listen to sports radio talking about NC State/ACC basketball (ACC basketball is better than any other conference - we have 60 yrs of kicking your ass if we you want to argue).  Yesterday, while listening to the analysis of my alma mater, NCSCU, losing by 1 in OT to our arch nemesis, UNC-CHeat, I found an old can of Skoal Mint Xtra in my center console.  This can was at least 6 months old.  I put it back as soon as I found it.  When I got in the car after work and started driving home, I immediately thought about it.  After a couple minutes thinking about how I could dip this dry, old dip to convince myself I didn't like it anymore, I finally decided that slug.go, Krusty, Grizclaws, RaliPaul  Aggie would not accept that explanation for my use of dip and poured the can into an old drink cup (filled with water). 

I was proud of myself for putting the dip into the cup of water so that it was unusable .  I was even prouder for thinking beyond the pinch.  I have read enough to know that a pinch at this point will not taste good, will produce feelings of guilt, shame and embarrassment and depression.  I'm not going to beckon those negative consequences for something that I do not need.  Fuck you nicotine, I'll continue to put you in irretrievable places.  I'll flush the fuck out of you.  I'll dump you in a heart beat.  I'll spit upon you nic bitch.  Fuck You, I don't need you.  I am starting to hate you.  Not quite to the level of srans, but getting there.  I'm starting to understand how much you lied to me and how much you have cost me.  I missed 4-5 min of my Grandfather's funeral so that I could slip out to the bathroom and put in a dip.  Fuck you nic bitch.  My grandfather was the best man that ever walked this earth (argue with me, I dare you, I'll fight you) and during the remembrance of his life, I was stuffing my face with poison.....FUCK....no longer will I be that shitty of a person.
Proud of you RT! Thanks for saving me a 5 hour drive just so I could kick you in the nuts. :D
Well done RT. I think I found an old tin of copenhagen about 60 days in... felt the blood leave my face and got a knot in my gut. I went straight to the head and flushed it. Just like you did.

Nice job. Every time you slam a door an angel gets its wings...
Keep slamming them on the nic bitch.
Fish, eat, sleep. Repeat.
quit date 2/10/12
HOF date 5/19/12
1 Year 2/10/13
2 Years 2/10/14
8th Floor 4/19/14

Offline Derk40

• Quit Pro
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »

Quit date: 6/23/2013
HOF Date: 9/30/2013

HOF Speech

Offline slug.go

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 1/23/14
  • Interests: Family, motorcycles, all sports, hunting, fishing, guns
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »

Quit since 1/23/14

Offline Evil_Won

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: none
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2014, 01:06:00 AM »
I'm am idiot. When I decided to quit, I did not go through every possible place where I may have put a can of poison to make sure I threw it all out. I usually enjoy the majority of my lunch break in my car this time of year so that I can listen to sports radio talking about NC State/ACC basketball (ACC basketball is better than any other conference - we have 60 yrs of kicking your ass if we you want to argue). Yesterday, while listening to the analysis of my alma mater, NCSCU, losing by 1 in OT to our arch nemesis, UNC-CHeat, I found an old can of Skoal Mint Xtra in my center console. This can was at least 6 months old. I put it back as soon as I found it. When I got in the car after work and started driving home, I immediately thought about it. After a couple minutes thinking about how I could dip this dry, old dip to convince myself I didn't like it anymore, I finally decided that slug.go, Krusty, Grizclaws, RaliPaul  Aggie would not accept that explanation for my use of dip and poured the can into an old drink cup (filled with water).

I was proud of myself for putting the dip into the cup of water so that it was unusable . I was even prouder for thinking beyond the pinch. I have read enough to know that a pinch at this point will not taste good, will produce feelings of guilt, shame and embarrassment and depression. I'm not going to beckon those negative consequences for something that I do not need. Fuck you nicotine, I'll continue to put you in irretrievable places. I'll flush the fuck out of you. I'll dump you in a heart beat. I'll spit upon you nic bitch. Fuck You, I don't need you. I am starting to hate you. Not quite to the level of srans, but getting there. I'm starting to understand how much you lied to me and how much you have cost me. I missed 4-5 min of my Grandfather's funeral so that I could slip out to the bathroom and put in a dip. Fuck you nic bitch. My grandfather was the best man that ever walked this earth (argue with me, I dare you, I'll fight you) and during the remembrance of his life, I was stuffing my face with poison.....FUCK....no longer will I be that shitty of a person.
"Dunno about you HP, but LOOT doesn't like getting assfucked, by anyone....and certainly won't chalk it up to 'shit happens'."

Offline rtpope

• Quit Pro
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »
I'm am idiot. When I decided to quit, I did not go through every possible place where I may have put a can of poison to make sure I threw it all out. I usually enjoy the majority of my lunch break in my car this time of year so that I can listen to sports radio talking about NC State/ACC basketball (ACC basketball is better than any other conference - we have 60 yrs of kicking your ass if we you want to argue). Yesterday, while listening to the analysis of my alma mater, NCSCU, losing by 1 in OT to our arch nemesis, UNC-CHeat, I found an old can of Skoal Mint Xtra in my center console. This can was at least 6 months old.  I put it back as soon as I found it. When I got in the car after work and started driving home, I immediately thought about it. After a couple minutes thinking about how I could dip this dry, old dip to convince myself I didn't like it anymore, I finally decided that slug.go, Krusty, Grizclaws, RaliPaul  Aggie would not accept that explanation for my use of dip and poured the can into an old drink cup (filled with water).

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »
This shaping up to be a good quit you have going on here- nice victories and approach! Keep logging it so you have a record of what you go thru, the brain tends to forget discomfort after a while and you never want to go through some of this again. At the same time tho, pay attention to the victories and share them and celebrate them with all of us- your wins make all of our quits stronger! Glad to be quitting with you!
This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!