Author Topic: Quitting  (Read 10288 times)

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Quitting
« Reply #285 on: May 15, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »
Quote from: danojeno
Quote from: Thumblewort
Does KTC even do the 3 questions for cavers anymore, or is that a thing of the past? I'D LOVE it a mod chimed in on this.............

FMBM, you started out so well, and we had each others backs, what happened? You have my digits, never heard a word about your cave, or your new quit. Answer the tough questions and get on board man.
The 3 questions are a practice in this community, not a requirement. I can't think of anyone offhand who didn't answer them, but I can think of many who threw out half ass responses and needed "encouragement" to offer answers that matter. FMBM's initial answer to question number 3 as I recall was lacking. The usual answer to this question is "get more involved" as it seems the majority of cavers aren't involved pre-cave. It can't be said in this case because by pretty much all accounts Steve was involved, though I think it waned toward the end. I can't speak for him, but it seems that at some point, he was overcome with quit malaise, a very dangerous form of fuck-its.
Thank you Dano, I just wanted to make sure they got asked, I couldn't see where or if they were. It seems like the importance of those questions has waned, especially on a person who threw away nearly a year of stoppage for nothing. Anyone over 2 years agree with that?
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline Doc2quit4good

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quitting since 9/18/13!!!!
  • Quit Date: 9/18/13
  • Interests: Non motorized biking, Geetar, Jazz Music(Not Jazz Flute), Quitting Skoal Forever!
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #284 on: May 15, 2016, 06:33:00 AM »
When any of us learns that all of a sudden we can't quit for one damn day no matter how long they have been quit it is a bad day for all of us. We are all addicts here. Noone can decide one day that they are not. I think I speak for most here when I say this site is meant for zero tolerance, period. That is how so many are still posting another day and not day ones... After a long time here now there still isn't one damn day that goes by that I don't think about my addiction so I will be back here every damn day!!!
NO MO SKOAL!!! I MEAN NEVER AGAIN!!!
Real Quit Day 9/18/2013 8th Floor 11/26/15
HOF day: 12/26/2013. 9th Floor 3/5/16
2nd Floor: 4/5/14 Comma Day 6/13/16!!!
3rd Floor 7/14/2014. 3 Years 9/18/6!!!
1 Year 9/17/2014. 11th Floor 9/21/16
4th Floor 10/22/14. 12th Floor 12/30/16
Half Comma 1/30/15. 13th Floor 4/8/17
6th Floor 5/10/15 4 Years 9/18/17!!!
7th Floor 8/18/15. 15th Floor 10/26/17
2 Years 9/17/15 16th Floor 2/3/18
5 Years 9/18/18  17th Floor 5/14/18
18th Floor 08/22/2018  19th Floor 11/30/18

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 2, 2016
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #283 on: May 14, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »
Poof

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #282 on: May 14, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »
And guys, I want to clarify - I'm not trying to excuse his cave. It's not acceptable and it deserves to be called out. Any cave weakens the support network on this board, and anyone who breaks their word needs to go through a reckoning if they want to rebuild trust. My point is that I respect the courage it takes to admit a mistake, come back and start from scratch. I think FM has experience and value to add to our quit group and its my hope that he does his best to rebuild that trust in the August group.

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #281 on: May 14, 2016, 11:29:00 PM »
Hey man, wanted to reach out to you because I just spent the last hour reading about your journey with KTC and your cave. First of all, I don't judge you for the cave. After reading your intro, and then seeing the fallout, I'm sure you judge yourself plenty.

Honestly, I have a huge amount of respect for the fact that you could come back, post a day one, join a newb group and ask for help. I truly don't know if I could handle myself like that after a cave.

Protocol at this site seems to be to tear down and shame - and I get that. There is value to the whole in terms of setting an example, but I don't think it does anything for an individual. That you were able to man up, take the lumps and start fresh shows fortitude and a serious commitment to the quit that should be supported and emulated, rather than disparaged.

As a member of August, my hope is that you will take both your successes and failures and help our group become more aware of the pitfalls that await us. You have obviously learned a lot from your previous attempt and I hope that you can use those lessons to help us all reach 100 and then 1 year and then the comma together. I quit with you today, I'll quit with you tomrrow. Keep focused and stay quit.

Offline danojeno

• Quit Date March 2, 2015
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #280 on: May 14, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
Quote from: Thumblewort
Does KTC even do the 3 questions for cavers anymore, or is that a thing of the past? I'D LOVE it a mod chimed in on this.............

FMBM, you started out so well, and we had each others backs, what happened? You have my digits, never heard a word about your cave, or your new quit. Answer the tough questions and get on board man.
The 3 questions are a practice in this community, not a requirement. I can't think of anyone offhand who didn't answer them, but I can think of many who threw out half ass responses and needed "encouragement" to offer answers that matter. FMBM's initial answer to question number 3 as I recall was lacking. The usual answer to this question is "get more involved" as it seems the majority of cavers aren't involved pre-cave. It can't be said in this case because by pretty much all accounts Steve was involved, though I think it waned toward the end. I can't speak for him, but it seems that at some point, he was overcome with quit malaise, a very dangerous form of fuck-its.

Offline Dagranger

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 06-27-2013
  • Interests: I used to like playing any sport. Now I like coaching any sport. Hiking, camping, biking. I work out a lot but I hate it.
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #279 on: May 14, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
I'm not a ball buster about the three questions....but I personally feel I put in a lot of time reading and responding to a lot of your posts...and you involved so many people in your quit, you owe it to all of us who gave a shit about you to explain yourself.

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
« Reply #278 on: May 14, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »

Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline danojeno

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
Quote from: FMBM707
I'm not one of those guys that believes everything happens for a reason. Sometimes we just fuck ourselves on purpose. I don't know why you fucked yourself, but the only thing keeping you from un-fucking it is you. We are all here doing it one day at a time and so can you. In my own case, after returning, I felt like shit every day rehashing everything. Slowly, day by day, that negativity turned positive as I built a foundation and formed a brotherhood with my group. Somehow, the trust in me returned and coming here became a source of energy. I hope you take the time to read back through this intro...it's the reason I joined this site.
Thanks Dano. I appreciate your support and continued effort with me. It hasn't gone unnoticed and I value your opinion. I've been on KTC everyday since posting my promise and I'm not as active as I was the first time around with regards to posting but I'm still reading a lot and finding my way. It's great to hear that others were helped even though I ultimately failed.

As for reading back through this intro, there will be the right time to do it and I know it's going to be of value when it's needed.

The only promise right now is the daily promise.

Don't give up on me yet Dano- I've still got some fight left and hopefully I can provide some support and/or inspiration along the way
I know it's awkward for a bit, but each day stoke that fire just a little bit more. Twigs and leaves at first but after awhile, it will rage. You have lots of guys pulling for you big time.

Offline FMBM707

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-05-06
« Reply #276 on: May 14, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Steve. Read the first page of your intro last night and decided to join. Read the rest now and much of it seems like it could have been written by me. Last time I thought I was dying back in 07 I went to ENT and all came back clean. I don't know how long it took, but after a clean bill of health I started again. I'm a genius. From what I've read, you are better than that. I quit.
Apparently I'm not.

Offline FMBM707

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-05-06
« Reply #275 on: May 12, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
I'm not one of those guys that believes everything happens for a reason. Sometimes we just fuck ourselves on purpose. I don't know why you fucked yourself, but the only thing keeping you from un-fucking it is you. We are all here doing it one day at a time and so can you. In my own case, after returning, I felt like shit every day rehashing everything. Slowly, day by day, that negativity turned positive as I built a foundation and formed a brotherhood with my group. Somehow, the trust in me returned and coming here became a source of energy. I hope you take the time to read back through this intro...it's the reason I joined this site.
Thanks Dano. I appreciate your support and continued effort with me. It hasn't gone unnoticed and I value your opinion. I've been on KTC everyday since posting my promise and I'm not as active as I was the first time around with regards to posting but I'm still reading a lot and finding my way. It's great to hear that others were helped even though I ultimately failed.

As for reading back through this intro, there will be the right time to do it and I know it's going to be of value when it's needed.

The only promise right now is the daily promise.

Don't give up on me yet Dano- I've still got some fight left and hopefully I can provide some support and/or inspiration along the way

Offline danojeno

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #274 on: May 10, 2016, 11:13:00 PM »

Offline Tuco

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 7/27/2014
« Reply #273 on: June 24, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
Quote from: Steakbomb18
I was traveling yesterday and just hit up the intro board. Not wanting to believe what Diesel and Griz wrote, I went to Oct 2014's page. Man, was that a punch in my face and kick to the nuts. Sure, I ain't an October Titan, but I sure as hell have been quitting day in and day out with you since your first weeks.

I'm pretty F'n pissed and now I have an idea about how much you valued your quit brothers; people like myself and those in your Quit group. And to that I say, so be it. I don't need nor want decrepit stones in my castle of quit.
Leave it to Steak to find the words that I could not.

Two fucking weeks shy of hitting a year, and this is allowed to happen. Unreal.

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
« Reply #272 on: June 23, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
While I am saddened by this cave, it only makes my quit stronger. I hope you find what you are looking for FMBM.

Offline rdad

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 11/22/13
  • Interests: All Shooting Sports, Reloading, Fly Fishing, and Music.
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #271 on: June 23, 2015, 02:22:00 PM »
Quote from: Steakbomb18
I don't need nor want decrepit stones in my castle of quit.
Amen Steak, Amen