Author Topic: Just Quit! Help?1?  (Read 5409 times)

Offline slug.go

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 1/23/14
  • Interests: Family, motorcycles, all sports, hunting, fishing, guns
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Just Quit! Help?1?
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
Quote from: grizzlyhasclaws
Quote from: Ginet
Quote from: jdubthe2nd
I've been having a fairly rough week. Sitting through this military to civilian transition class. All I can t think about is how I might not be able to find a job. How I don't even know what kind of discharge I will be getting is. How I don't even know what the fuck I want to do. Will I have my GI bill? Will I have to apply for student aid? Do I want to pursue an apprenticeship? or just randomly fill out job applications. I know a couple of you have talked to me before, but I'm just feeling fucked up. This shit still stings, and on top of it, the cravings which I haven't really had in a couple of weeks have come back with intensity. I keep visualizing putting a fat pinch in my lip and packing that can. I want it, but I don't! I talked to my wife about everything I'm feeling lately, but she just doesn't understand. She doesn't understand the military life, and how it feels to be getting out, especially under the circumstances I am. When I voice my concerns, she's just dismissing them with simple answers. To be honest, I'm scared. I know I have the tools and ability, I just can't seem to find where to look, or what I should. What if I fuck it up? How will I support my wife? I don't really like to play the "woe is me" card, I just feel trapped right now, and the nic bitch is fucking screaming in my ear.
Hi.
So let's start with this. Nicotine cannot make anything better. Ever. In any way.

She will scream and sometimes, even whisper your name just to get your attention. When she does, she will not let up easily. This will never stop.

Understand that the cravings will become less, but it takes time. You can't solve all of this right now in this very instant, so just deal with today. You are making yourself stress out, understandably so with what seems to be a lot on your plate, but.......you are going to be just fine.

Breathe.......that sneaky bitch knows just when to creep in. Fight thru it. You got this!
If you could pick any career what would it be? List off the top 10 career choices for you. Cross off the unrealistic ones. The focus in on the ones you want.

If I were your age I'd get into underwater welding. I think those dudes make some good dough.

That's my advice. Go and get it, the world is your oyster and you're not burdened by nicotine. Don't you dare let it back in!
Humans tend to 'awfulize' things. There is positive in your life. You're focusing on the negatives. Make a plan. Grizz had some good advice. You know you'll probably get an OTH. You're not the first, nor the last. You didn't break any laws, just rules. Be honest with yourself. I consulted in the oil business. Roughnecks in the field are working 14 on/14 off and bringing home $75k+. Lots of them have prison time. It's tough work for tough men. Opportunities are out there. Tackle your challenges, get moving. Get busy living or lie down and take it. Find your strengths and focus on them. I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees. You can't fuck something up if you don't do it.
Quit since 1/23/14

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
  • Interests: Baseball, Hunting, Trucks, Diesels, Scouting,
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
Quote from: grizzlyhasclaws
I've been having a fairly rough week. Sitting through this military to civilian transition class. All I can t think about is how I might not be able to find a job. How I don't even know what kind of discharge I will be getting is. How I don't even know what the fuck I want to do. Will I have my GI bill? Will I have to apply for student aid? Do I want to pursue an apprenticeship? or just randomly fill out job applications. I know a couple of you have talked to me before, but I'm just feeling fucked up. This shit still stings, and on top of it, the cravings which I haven't really had in a couple of weeks have come back with intensity. I keep visualizing putting a fat pinch in my lip and packing that can. I want it, but I don't! I talked to my wife about everything I'm feeling lately, but she just doesn't understand. She doesn't understand the military life, and how it feels to be getting out, especially under the circumstances I am. When I voice my concerns, she's just dismissing them with simple answers. To be honest, I'm scared. I know I have the tools and ability, I just can't seem to find where to look, or what I should. What if I fuck it up? How will I support my wife? I don't really like to play the "woe is me" card, I just feel trapped right now, and the nic bitch is fucking screaming in my ear.
Hi.
So let's start with this. Nicotine cannot make anything better. Ever. In any way.

She will scream and sometimes, even whisper your name just to get your attention. When she does, she will not let up easily. This will never stop.

Understand that the cravings will become less, but it takes time. You can't solve all of this right now in this very instant, so just deal with today. You are making yourself stress out, understandably so with what seems to be a lot on your plate, but.......you are going to be just fine.

Breathe.......that sneaky bitch knows just when to creep in. Fight thru it. You got this!
If you could pick any career what would it be? List off the top 10 career choices for you. Cross off the unrealistic ones. The focus in on the ones you want.

If I were your age I'd get into underwater welding. I think those dudes make some good dough.

That's my advice. Go and get it, the world is your oyster and you're not burdened by nicotine. Don't you dare let it back in!
That transition is not by any means easy, but the ideals taught and learned from the Marine Corps. actually give you a jump start ahead of most civilians. You need to make some choices about what kind of career path you wish to follow. Then use the same tenacity that you used to get through phases 1-3. Then nut up[ and tackle that job no matter what it is full steam ahead.

The one thing that you have is Marine tenacity above all. Just like when you made decisions about what MOS you wanted and how you mapped out how to get it do just that.

Civilian life is way different, just be prepared for the velvet hammers, as post USMC I notice that very few people are direct, most are backstabbing bitches. In civilian life no one will get in your face with a full brimmed hat and scream at you to do your daily routine.

Damn, I can't believe that I miss that some times.
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Best thing I have read on KTC...Submitted by tgafish on 7/3/14

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
Hi.

Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline Ginet

• Quitter
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
Hi.

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. ~ Chinese Proverb
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply. ~ Stephen R. Covey

QD 12/29/13
April 2014 Resolute

Offline jdubthe2nd

• Quitter
  • Interests: God, Guitars, and Games
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
"Never tell me the odds!" - Han Solo

HOF 2/27/2014

Offline jdubthe2nd

• Quitter
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
Hey guys, wondering if there is anyone in North Carolina or nearby that would like to meet up at some point. Also, I need to begin networking, I have a little time before I get out of the corps and I don't know many people. I'll be having to look for a job and am pretty nervous, I am not even sure about what I will be trying to go into. If you have any thoughts, or recommendations let me know. I'm kinda lost in the sauce here.

HOF 2/27/2014

Offline Dave1903

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2013-10-25
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2013, 05:43:00 AM »
Quote from: Pinched
Gents,

A confusing and hurtful time has come my way. I will be facing artice 15 tomorrow (non judicial punishment) as well as administrative separation from the corps. I'm being charged with testing positive for anti depressants on a urinalysis. I won't sit here and try to convince any one person that I am innocent, I feel like it is a waste of my time, being that nobody believes anyway. I need no legal counsel, I've had plenty of it, and accepting this is the best route. I do not understand how this has come to be, or why. I know that this is not the end, and that I still have a future ahead of me. While I am concerned with providing for my wife, I know we will make it through. What hurts the most, is that I may not have been the fastest/strongest marine, but I did my job and well. I will be losing all the benefits I have earned and worked so hard for. Honestly, nicotine is very appealing, but I know that it could only cause more problems, especially financially. Depending on the punishment given tomorrow, I may not be able to post roll for up to 45 days. With that being said, if that is the case, then i will write my roll call in a logbook and have another marine sign and date it. Hopefully that is not the case, but we will see.

'Finger'  'Finger'  'Finger'  'Finger'  cowboy  cowboy  cowboy  'Crazy'  'Crazy'  'Crazy'  'bang head'  'bang head'  'bang head'  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(
Josh,
Stay the course. Do what you can to explain and let things be what they will be. I hated seeing your message yesterday and today. I wish you open minds and listening ears because luck is a crock of shit.

Pinched
Hey I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you also remember everything is done for.a reason to make us stronger keep your head up and keep on quitting brother one day at a time
The nic is a bitch, but it's gone one day at a time.

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
  • Interests: Baseball, Hunting, Trucks, Diesels, Scouting,
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
Gents,

A confusing and hurtful time has come my way. I will be facing artice 15 tomorrow (non judicial punishment) as well as administrative separation from the corps. I'm being charged with testing positive for anti depressants on a urinalysis. I won't sit here and try to convince any one person that I am innocent, I feel like it is a waste of my time, being that nobody believes anyway. I need no legal counsel, I've had plenty of it, and accepting this is the best route. I do not understand how this has come to be, or why. I know that this is not the end, and that I still have a future ahead of me. While I am concerned with providing for my wife, I know we will make it through. What hurts the most, is that I may not have been the fastest/strongest marine, but I did my job and well. I will be losing all the benefits I have earned and worked so hard for. Honestly, nicotine is very appealing, but I know that it could only cause more problems, especially financially. Depending on the punishment given tomorrow, I may not be able to post roll for up to 45 days. With that being said, if that is the case, then i will write my roll call in a logbook and have another marine sign and date it. Hopefully that is not the case, but we will see.

'Finger' 'Finger' 'Finger' 'Finger' cowboy cowboy cowboy 'Crazy' 'Crazy' 'Crazy' 'bang head' 'bang head' 'bang head' :( :( :( :( :( :(
Josh,
Stay the course. Do what you can to explain and let things be what they will be. I hated seeing your message yesterday and today. I wish you open minds and listening ears because luck is a crock of shit.

Pinched
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Best thing I have read on KTC...Submitted by tgafish on 7/3/14

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline jdubthe2nd

• Quitter
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Gents,

'Finger' 'Finger' 'Finger' 'Finger' cowboy cowboy cowboy 'Crazy' 'Crazy' 'Crazy' 'bang head' 'bang head' 'bang head' :( :( :( :( :( :(

HOF 2/27/2014

Offline Bulldog0311

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 12/02/13
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Just wanted to say, and have everyone remember, that today is Dec 7, the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Gents, lets all take a moment today, whether you're like Pinched, Bulldog, Neonpanther, Mogul, or myself being active/former military or just been a civilian all your life, remember the lives lost there and what happened as a result. Our involvement In WW2, which my grandfathers proudly fought in, and captured a few flags that i still cherish today.

Remember that they did not relent in the time of war against evil, the pressed on, knowing that they had each other to count on, and thats all that mattered really. keeping one another alive and safe. Make that your purpose here, keeping one another quit as much as you have the power to. Let us not relent in our battle against nicotine, because all of us military gents know, what a waste it would be to die to nicotine...instead of a real war that you could be proud of and be honored.

Don't forget our heroes today. Thank you
Cpl West, 2171, USMC/ Active.
Oohrah!!! Never forget those in whose footsteps we tread, whether that's the men and women who fought and died for our freedom or those brothers and sisters who have walked this path of quit we are on now and left the roadmap to guide us home. Semper Fidelis.

USMC ( Uncle Sam's Misguided Children)
0311 rifleman
Bravo 1/4 1989 to 1993

Offline Derk40

• Quit Pro
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Just wanted to say, and have everyone remember, that today is Dec 7, the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Gents, lets all take a moment today, whether you're like Pinched, Bulldog, Neonpanther, Mogul, or myself being active/former military or just been a civilian all your life, remember the lives lost there and what happened as a result. Our involvement In WW2, which my grandfathers proudly fought in, and captured a few flags that i still cherish today.

Remember that they did not relent in the time of war against evil, the pressed on, knowing that they had each other to count on, and thats all that mattered really. keeping one another alive and safe. Make that your purpose here, keeping one another quit as much as you have the power to. Let us not relent in our battle against nicotine, because all of us military gents know, what a waste it would be to die to nicotine...instead of a real war that you could be proud of and be honored.

Semper Fi! Thanks for the reminder bro. An important day in our history and one that will never be forgotten. Proud to be quit with you today!
Quit date: 6/23/2013
HOF Date: 9/30/2013

HOF Speech

Offline jdubthe2nd

• Quitter
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »

HOF 2/27/2014

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
jdubsII, it is great to see you working the intro threads. Get that accountability up there by knowing others are looking at you to lead the way. You are winning. Learn it, live it love it.

Offline SirDerek

• Quit Pro
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Quote from: midwest04z

Josh,
Do what works for you.  I swore by the fake dip because it helped me.  I have had a sealed can of it in my pocket every day for the last four weeks, just in case.  Unfortunately the real shit is so easy to come by that I prepare for a craving.

Cinnamon candies are my new bitch.  I am here with you brother, you get pissed and want to vent call me up I love a quit ass chewing contest.
Yea, I know it's my decision. and many people are telling me what i expected, 2 different things lol. some say it makes em wanna cave, some swear by it. my wife seems more apprehensive about it than i, but i do wonder. i reckon i'll pick up some cinnamon candies as well. i'm gonna give the smokey mountain a try....if i dont like it, then i wont use it, if i do i guess thats good too. I just hope it doesn't make me crave for dip any more than usual. I like gum and peppermints as well. but i end up eating a lot of em...was thinkin maybe the fake shit would last a bit...and maybe it would taste bad and make me not wanna dip lol. I guess i'll just have to see for myself. And Corey, man, i don't say this lightly, you've been a huge inspiration for me to keep going, every post i throw up, you've got something to say, something positive. You were the first one to really reach out to me, and I count on you to stay quit so i know we can all do it. not just a few. all of us, if we put forth the effort.

Unfortunately for you, Im not the typical marine, I'm a lover and a mediator most times. But...maybe, just maybe, the rage will get me in the mood one day, and we'll have a good laugh.

J - I feel you on the fake stuff. I debated using it for awhile, but in the end, based on advice from the vets around here, I picked some up. Here's my thoughts on it: It helps me in the moments where I could otherwise easily cave. Example: Band practice with my buds that all chew. Have a few beers, cans of chew every where - easy situation to be tempted to cave. If I get a bad crave, I know I have an emergency outlet (the fake). Normally I will pull out the 120 day old Kern story from my wallet, or my contract to cave and reread...but sometimes, 5 minutes with a fake chew makes the crave subside. Do what works for you, but in my opinion, every tool you carry in your quit tool box is another layer of protection to your quit. Proud to be quit with you today!
you have to watch pinched and those ass chewing contests..... 'crackup'

anyway, I used the fake brand called Hooch that I had to order online. It was more like the fine cut that I had used for 23 years. It helped me through the first 2 months. It got me through the cravings and what I did was use less and less at a time (about the size of a pea). That way it 'felt' different from when I had used. But it still gave me the flavor and the knowledge that something was in my lip.

But then after 2 months since there was no chemical dependence to the fake, it sort of just 'went away' to where I did not need it anymore. I actually still have about 6 cans in my desk. And in the past 6 months I may have used it twice (the once during what was my biggest trigger and that was coaching tournament baseball at the 11 year old level).

But like a lot of what you see and read, it is just another tool that you can use if you decide to do so.

You got this Josh, you can and will keep this quit strong.

Offline midwest04z

• Quitter
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »

Josh,
Do what works for you.  I swore by the fake dip because it helped me.  I have had a sealed can of it in my pocket every day for the last four weeks, just in case.  Unfortunately the real shit is so easy to come by that I prepare for a craving.

Cinnamon candies are my new bitch.  I am here with you brother, you get pissed and want to vent call me up I love a quit ass chewing contest.
Yea, I know it's my decision. and many people are telling me what i expected, 2 different things lol. some say it makes em wanna cave, some swear by it. my wife seems more apprehensive about it than i, but i do wonder. i reckon i'll pick up some cinnamon candies as well. i'm gonna give the smokey mountain a try....if i dont like it, then i wont use it, if i do i guess thats good too. I just hope it doesn't make me crave for dip any more than usual. I like gum and peppermints as well. but i end up eating a lot of em...was thinkin maybe the fake shit would last a bit...and maybe it would taste bad and make me not wanna dip lol. I guess i'll just have to see for myself. And Corey, man, i don't say this lightly, you've been a huge inspiration for me to keep going, every post i throw up, you've got something to say, something positive. You were the first one to really reach out to me, and I count on you to stay quit so i know we can all do it. not just a few. all of us, if we put forth the effort.

Unfortunately for you, Im not the typical marine, I'm a lover and a mediator most times. But...maybe, just maybe, the rage will get me in the mood one day, and we'll have a good laugh.

J - I feel you on the fake stuff. I debated using it for awhile, but in the end, based on advice from the vets around here, I picked some up. Here's my thoughts on it: It helps me in the moments where I could otherwise easily cave. Example: Band practice with my buds that all chew. Have a few beers, cans of chew every where - easy situation to be tempted to cave. If I get a bad crave, I know I have an emergency outlet (the fake). Normally I will pull out the 120 day old Kern story from my wallet, or my contract to cave and reread...but sometimes, 5 minutes with a fake chew makes the crave subside. Do what works for you, but in my opinion, every tool you carry in your quit tool box is another layer of protection to your quit. Proud to be quit with you today!
Quit Date: 8-9-13
HOF Date: 11-16-13 Proud NOV '13 Skydiver

Caving is not an option - Do something else!