Author Topic: Finally going to do this...  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Finally going to do this...
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
Quote from: Smokeyg
I wrote a HOF speech. Posted it just minutes after midnight. I go back and reread it every now and then and realize how far I've grown from then to the present. I updte my membership in the HOF Hotel. I've written many things that I consider WAY more powerful than my HOF speech in the days between 101 and 1789. However, I wouldn't take back my HOF speech for anything. I gave props to the people important to me at the time and cited Vanilla Ice. If nothing else, it serves as a source of accomplishment and evidence of my need for continued reflection.

Celebrate the milestones. ButÂ…realize you're still a dipshit. Like me.
x2

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
Dlee, I'll throw my 2 cents in. HOF is a milestone, another day. HOF speech is a tool, an opportunity for you to express your thoughts, appreciation, struggles or whatever. This tool is a brief snapshot of what to expect available to those who haven't yet quit and are browsing. If it weren't for that my introduction would cover just about everything that I want to remember from my quit experience. I look at the HOF speech as an opportunity for me to pay forward. If my words spark a thought in the mind of one addict to consider quitting I would consider that worth it. Everything we do here ultimately comes Down to 'take and use and do what you need and leave the rest'. Personally I'm not sure I need your HOF speech, not because it wouldn't be inspiring but because I've followed your quit closely for the 100 days and know your story and am inspired by all of your posts. For newbies or others who may not know you might get that special lift they need by reading whatever you might have to say. Reading your entire intro from the beginning would inspire anyone who reads it, but they may not do that unless their curiosity is sparked by a HOF speech that sparks the curiosity to find out more about you. May you, your quit and 'the kid' continue to be blessed.
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline Tsmith17

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Life is good when you're quit.
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2013, 04:26:00 AM »
Quote from: Dlee3
This topic might have been addressed at some point prior to my arrival, but I wanted some feedback. The topic is HOF speeches. My question is whether or not I should feel obligated to post one at or near day 100. And I bring this up not to belittle the speeches or question their worthiness. I already know, after reading so many, how valuable they are to our quits. But this has been eating at me as I near 100 days quit.

To me, Hall of Fame means a career of superiority. It means you are or were the best at your chosen field or profession. It means you weren't just rewarded for a "hot streak" but rather a long procession of winning seasons. I am not at all trying to buck this ridiculously awesome KTC staple or those that choose to post their HOF speech at day 100. Instead, I was looking for personal feelings toward this practice for those of us that don't want to do it so soon.

One day, maybe at day 100 but probably not, I WILL write a HOF speech. But what if I don't feel ready to do so at day 100? What if I don't yet feel worthy of HOF at day 100?

This site has been my lifeline. It probably even saved my life. I know I'm now quit. I know the bitch will enter my thoughts but never my body again. But I relish the thought of writing that speech. I relish, as I recently posted, crying my damn eyes out while putting into words taking my damn life back and all that it means to me. But after 16 years, 100 days was basically yesterday. I want to one day, but I'm not ready to write all of that down yet.

I would love to have your thoughts on that.
I actually felt a lot of pressure to write a HOF speech as I neared 100 days quit. It was aggravating me. It made me feel nervous. It stressed me out. It was and is a big deal to me. In a way, I felt like my HOF speech was going to a bit of a validation that this quit was real and I was really do this. I was in uncharted waters in a sense because the longest I had ever gone "stopping" before was less than two weeks. By writing a HOF speech I felt that there was no going back, if that makes sense. That seems silly to even think about now, but hey, I was struggling a bit back then.

When I finally did sit down to write it, I found it to be VERY therapeutic. There is something about writing down your story. I think it helps you come to terms with periods longer than 100 days quit and how 100 days really only the beginning. I found that writing the HOF speech coincided with a changing mindset when it came to my quit. It was no longer a "sprint" to 100 days. My quit had now become a marathon.

Really, I wrote my HOF speech for me as much as I wrote it to help others. I am glad I wrote it when I did (day 100) because it captured how I was feeling at that point in time. That is something I love to go back and look at whenever I am struggling. That being said, you do what you want brother. You write your speech when you want to. It's YOUR speech. Be selfish if you want. Take your time if you need to. I can tell you that I look forward to reading about your journey though, whenever that may be. Stay quit brother.

Offline Smokeyg

• Quit King
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2013, 03:17:00 AM »
I wrote a HOF speech. Posted it just minutes after midnight. I go back and reread it every now and then and realize how far I've grown from then to the present. I updte my membership in the HOF Hotel. I've written many things that I consider WAY more powerful than my HOF speech in the days between 101 and 1789. However, I wouldn't take back my HOF speech for anything. I gave props to the people important to me at the time and cited Vanilla Ice. If nothing else, it serves as a source of accomplishment and evidence of my need for continued reflection.

Celebrate the milestones. ButÂ…realize you're still a dipshit. Like me.

Offline Diesel2112

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2013, 02:32:00 AM »
Quote from: Diesel2112
This topic might have been addressed at some point prior to my arrival, but I wanted some feedback.  The topic is HOF speeches.  My question is whether or not I should feel obligated to post one at or near day 100.  And I bring this up not to belittle the speeches or question their worthiness.  I already know, after reading so many, how valuable they are to our quits.  But this has been eating at me as I near 100 days quit.

To me, Hall of Fame means a career of superiority.  It means you are or were the best at your chosen field or profession.  It means you weren't just rewarded for a "hot streak" but rather a long procession of winning seasons.  I am not at all trying to buck this ridiculously awesome KTC staple or those that choose to post their HOF speech at day 100.  Instead, I was looking for personal feelings toward this practice for those of us that don't want to do it so soon.

One day, maybe at day 100 but probably not, I WILL write a HOF speech.  But what if I don't feel ready to do so at day 100?  What if I don't yet feel worthy of HOF at day 100? 

This site has been my lifeline.  It probably even saved my life.  I know I'm now quit.  I know the bitch will enter my thoughts but never my body again.  But I relish the thought of writing that speech.  I relish, as I recently posted, crying my damn eyes out while putting into words taking my damn life back and all that it means to me.  But after 16 years, 100 days was basically yesterday.  I want to one day, but I'm not ready to write all of that down yet.

You're over thinking it.

Write one when you feel like it. This isn't major league baseball, where a group of sports writers and media members are going vote you in and there's some ceremony where your old coach or son gives a speech about you, before you take the Mic.

The only criteria for our Hall of Fame is to make it 100 days nic free. You do it, you're in. And, in my eyes, you deserve to be. Theres no illusions that after 100 days your "done". Infact its all over the site that nothing ends at 100 days.

Personally I think 100 days is almost like a goal or checkpoint in a LIFETIME of quit. When I first quit I thought 100 days was an impossibility. Fuck, 100 days seemed like 100 years. It was nice that after being told to just "quit for today" that their was always that nice round number of 100 and the hof to look forward too. Nobody said you had to have to make it 100 days AND be some kind of quit legend where everyone looked at you as "one of the best" in the quit field. Who is to judge that anyway? A guy makes it 100 days he's in. He's done something to be hella proud of. Who the fuck would tell him otherwise? You want to write a speech sucking your own dick a little bit and thanking all that have helped you to get to 100 days the minute the counter flips 100 days or whenever you feel like it...it doesn't matter. People are going to read it, dig it, support and congratulate you regardless.

This isn't a "career" where you one day hang up your quit and everyone judges how great your quit was. You're quits over when you fucking die. You wanna write a speech go ahead, who gives a flying fuck when. You don't want to write a speech, again, who gives a fuck. And I personally do feel you are belittling the process. Using the term "hot streak" implies that those who write one often fail, or aren't worthy? I don't get that.

Just keep that cancerous, addicting, controlling, and nasty shit out of your mother fucking mouth.

That's all that really matters. IMHO
Nope, not belittling the practice of speeches. LOVE IT, in fact. Been working towards it for 88 days. Can't wait to write one. I'm just not ready. The problem I have with your reply is the whole "who gives a fuck" angle. I believe this is individual to the quitter. I'm not disagreeing with your position, only offering a rebuttal. We're both offering opinions, after all.

If I wrote a HOF speech in a few days with a "who gives a fuck if anybody reads this" mindset, wouldn't I be saying that I don't really give a fuck about this quit or anybody that reads my ramblings? With that question, I'm also completely agreeing with you that I am HIGHLY overthinking this HOF speech. But so are you.

These speeches are personal yet public to our community. I do give a fuck what it says (when I'm ready to say it,) because what if my speech is the speech that saves somebody's life? I'm capable of writing something compelling enough to do just that. We all are.

I read a post just yesterday or the day before from a KTC quitter that was over 500 days quit and craving, and more than anything, I questioned how powerful my speech needed to be for ME to stay quit. In that moment, I didn't think about saving somebody, I thought about clicking on my own HOF speech when craving, sucking in a lot of air, and trying to remember the time when I wanted to quit that badly. Over 500 days!! I haven't had a crave bad enough to send packing in weeks and this guy nearly had to send out an SOS at over 500 days.

Now that I'm nearly 100 days, I don't ever think I'll earn the title of MVP, but I hope that HOF speech, whenever I write it, helps somebody save their own life. That's why it means a hell of a lot to me.
What? I never said ANYTHING about "who gives a fuck if anybody reads it". I said who gives a fuck WHEN you write it. In fact I said no matter WHEN you write it people will read it, dig it, support and congratulate you regardless.

Do what ever you feel is right. Whenever you feel like it. There's no protocol for when to write a hof speech. Hell...there probably tons of people who never even wrote one.

Ive read every one, and only once was I like, wtf was that dude thinking and I pm'd and asked him. I go back and read mine now and it its weird because I've been been quit twice as long as from the time I wrote it , but its cool to recall that raw emotion that I felt having freshly crossed the hof finish line.
That's my problem right now, Diesel. EMOTION!! It's controlled me the last few days. It will, as evidenced, probably consume me for the next twelve. 100 days just feels superficial to me right now and I'm not sure why. I guess I want 100 to mean more to more people than me. At 100, I guess I want it to mean something to people new to quit who resemble me but to whom I'm not yet worthy enough to give advice. Heck, it's a HOF speech. It will be viewable for months or years on this site.

I respect your thoughts on how you viewed your HOF speech weeks or months after writing it. That raw emotion, etc. That reply was what I was looking for with my initial question. You said it was "cool to recall that raw emotion" from the day you wrote it. That's what I was getting at with my question.

Why, in other words, is it important to write it at 100 days as opposed to 158 or 787? This helps.
For ME it was important to do at 100 simply because of the structure of this site.

I joined the site and read and read about 100 dates, the hof, the different "floors", etc...I dug it. I love adding the floors and dates to my signature. I get off on it a little bit.

Aside from that, take a look at the top of the screen........what do you see? Dudes holding their hof coins. The first 100 days is significant. The coins are a reminder of that. For me I felt compelled to get my thoughts down right after crossing the 100 day mark because it was something I really looked forward to and a goal. To me, what better time to reflect on th path to a goal then right after you get there?

Like I said earlier, the goal of ktc is not to quit for 100 days but to quit for life. I knew my journey wasn't over, in fact far from it, but Damn you have to have SOME measurables and I personally like to push my chest out every 100 days. Nothing wrong with breaking shit down into little chunks.

Your words are confusing to me. I really don't get your point. You seems to be all over the place. Are you scared that before you write your speech you should somehow be "cured" first? That shit ain't gonna happen.

Quit worrying so much about other people and trying to be a martyr.

You had a lot of help along the way but ultimately it is YOU who have remained quit. Take pride in that and type out your journey to the hof for all to see..whenever you want. We aren't going anywhere.
Quit 06/04/12
HOF 9/11/12
2nd floor 12/20/12
3rd floor 03/30/13
4th floor 07/08/13
5th floor 10/16/13
6th floor 01/24/14
7th floor 05/04/14
8th floor 08/12/14
9th floor 10/20/14
Comma 02/28/15
11th floor 06/08/15
12th floor 09/16/15
13th floor 12/25/15
14th floor 04/03/16
15th floor 7/11/16
16th floor 10/20/16
17th floor 01/27/17
18th floor 05/08/17
19th floor 08/14/17
20th floor 11/27/17
21st floor 03/11/18

"Celebrate the moment as it turns into one more"..
"You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win, win without a fight".
"Onion rings...funyons. A connection? Yeah. I fucking think so."
"Honest Abe had a fake jaw".
"In a world that seems so small, I can't stop thinking big"
"Someone set a bad example. Made surrender seem all right
The act of a noble warrior. Who lost the will to fight."

Offline Dlee3

• Quitter
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2013, 01:51:00 AM »
This topic might have been addressed at some point prior to my arrival, but I wanted some feedback.  The topic is HOF speeches.  My question is whether or not I should feel obligated to post one at or near day 100.  And I bring this up not to belittle the speeches or question their worthiness.  I already know, after reading so many, how valuable they are to our quits.  But this has been eating at me as I near 100 days quit.

To me, Hall of Fame means a career of superiority.  It means you are or were the best at your chosen field or profession.  It means you weren't just rewarded for a "hot streak" but rather a long procession of winning seasons.  I am not at all trying to buck this ridiculously awesome KTC staple or those that choose to post their HOF speech at day 100.  Instead, I was looking for personal feelings toward this practice for those of us that don't want to do it so soon.

One day, maybe at day 100 but probably not, I WILL write a HOF speech.  But what if I don't feel ready to do so at day 100?  What if I don't yet feel worthy of HOF at day 100? 

This site has been my lifeline.  It probably even saved my life.  I know I'm now quit.  I know the bitch will enter my thoughts but never my body again.  But I relish the thought of writing that speech.  I relish, as I recently posted, crying my damn eyes out while putting into words taking my damn life back and all that it means to me.  But after 16 years, 100 days was basically yesterday.  I want to one day, but I'm not ready to write all of that down yet.

You're over thinking it.

Write one when you feel like it. This isn't major league baseball, where a group of sports writers and media members are going vote you in and there's some ceremony where your old coach or son gives a speech about you, before you take the Mic.

The only criteria for our Hall of Fame is to make it 100 days nic free. You do it, you're in. And, in my eyes, you deserve to be. Theres no illusions that after 100 days your "done". Infact its all over the site that nothing ends at 100 days.

Personally I think 100 days is almost like a goal or checkpoint in a LIFETIME of quit. When I first quit I thought 100 days was an impossibility. Fuck, 100 days seemed like 100 years. It was nice that after being told to just "quit for today" that their was always that nice round number of 100 and the hof to look forward too. Nobody said you had to have to make it 100 days AND be some kind of quit legend where everyone looked at you as "one of the best" in the quit field. Who is to judge that anyway? A guy makes it 100 days he's in. He's done something to be hella proud of. Who the fuck would tell him otherwise? You want to write a speech sucking your own dick a little bit and thanking all that have helped you to get to 100 days the minute the counter flips 100 days or whenever you feel like it...it doesn't matter. People are going to read it, dig it, support and congratulate you regardless.

This isn't a "career" where you one day hang up your quit and everyone judges how great your quit was. You're quits over when you fucking die. You wanna write a speech go ahead, who gives a flying fuck when. You don't want to write a speech, again, who gives a fuck. And I personally do feel you are belittling the process. Using the term "hot streak" implies that those who write one often fail, or aren't worthy? I don't get that.

Just keep that cancerous, addicting, controlling, and nasty shit out of your mother fucking mouth.

Nope, not belittling the practice of speeches. LOVE IT, in fact. Been working towards it for 88 days. Can't wait to write one. I'm just not ready. The problem I have with your reply is the whole "who gives a fuck" angle. I believe this is individual to the quitter. I'm not disagreeing with your position, only offering a rebuttal. We're both offering opinions, after all.

If I wrote a HOF speech in a few days with a "who gives a fuck if anybody reads this" mindset, wouldn't I be saying that I don't really give a fuck about this quit or anybody that reads my ramblings? With that question, I'm also completely agreeing with you that I am HIGHLY overthinking this HOF speech. But so are you.

These speeches are personal yet public to our community. I do give a fuck what it says (when I'm ready to say it,) because what if my speech is the speech that saves somebody's life? I'm capable of writing something compelling enough to do just that. We all are.

I read a post just yesterday or the day before from a KTC quitter that was over 500 days quit and craving, and more than anything, I questioned how powerful my speech needed to be for ME to stay quit. In that moment, I didn't think about saving somebody, I thought about clicking on my own HOF speech when craving, sucking in a lot of air, and trying to remember the time when I wanted to quit that badly. Over 500 days!! I haven't had a crave bad enough to send packing in weeks and this guy nearly had to send out an SOS at over 500 days.

Now that I'm nearly 100 days, I don't ever think I'll earn the title of MVP, but I hope that HOF speech, whenever I write it, helps somebody save their own life. That's why it means a hell of a lot to me.
What? I never said ANYTHING about "who gives a fuck if anybody reads it". I said who gives a fuck WHEN you write it. In fact I said no matter WHEN you write it people will read it, dig it, support and congratulate you regardless.

Do what ever you feel is right. Whenever you feel like it. There's no protocol for when to write a hof speech. Hell...there probably tons of people who never even wrote one.

Ive read every one, and only once was I like, wtf was that dude thinking and I pm'd and asked him. I go back and read mine now and it its weird because I've been been quit twice as long as from the time I wrote it , but its cool to recall that raw emotion that I felt having freshly crossed the hof finish line.
That's my problem right now, Diesel. EMOTION!! It's controlled me the last few days. It will, as evidenced, probably consume me for the next twelve. 100 days just feels superficial to me right now and I'm not sure why. I guess I want 100 to mean more to more people than me. At 100, I guess I want it to mean something to people new to quit who resemble me but to whom I'm not yet worthy enough to give advice. Heck, it's a HOF speech. It will be viewable for months or years on this site.

I respect your thoughts on how you viewed your HOF speech weeks or months after writing it. That raw emotion, etc. That reply was what I was looking for with my initial question. You said it was "cool to recall that raw emotion" from the day you wrote it. That's what I was getting at with my question.

Why, in other words, is it important to write it at 100 days as opposed to 158 or 787? This helps.

Offline jbradley

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2013, 01:45:00 AM »

You're over thinking it.

For me it was a reflection of my quit and it was for "me." Why did I put that in quotes, because I posted it to a public area of the site for others to read. For me it was and is a emotional tie to the journey of being quit. Hopefully someone will read that and maybe see the struggle, joy, blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into this quit. I wrote it for me, for others to read. If you do not want to do it then don't. When you are ready everyone here will read it and probably pull at least one thing out of it that they will take to heart.

When you are ready, I will be honored to read it.

Offline Diesel2112

• Quitter
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2013, 01:09:00 AM »

You're over thinking it.

Quit 06/04/12
HOF 9/11/12
2nd floor 12/20/12
3rd floor 03/30/13
4th floor 07/08/13
5th floor 10/16/13
6th floor 01/24/14
7th floor 05/04/14
8th floor 08/12/14
9th floor 10/20/14
Comma 02/28/15
11th floor 06/08/15
12th floor 09/16/15
13th floor 12/25/15
14th floor 04/03/16
15th floor 7/11/16
16th floor 10/20/16
17th floor 01/27/17
18th floor 05/08/17
19th floor 08/14/17
20th floor 11/27/17
21st floor 03/11/18

Offline Dlee3

• Quitter
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »

You're over thinking it.

Offline Diesel2112

• Quitter
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »

You're over thinking it.

Quit 06/04/12
HOF 9/11/12
2nd floor 12/20/12
3rd floor 03/30/13
4th floor 07/08/13
5th floor 10/16/13
6th floor 01/24/14
7th floor 05/04/14
8th floor 08/12/14
9th floor 10/20/14
Comma 02/28/15
11th floor 06/08/15
12th floor 09/16/15
13th floor 12/25/15
14th floor 04/03/16
15th floor 7/11/16
16th floor 10/20/16
17th floor 01/27/17
18th floor 05/08/17
19th floor 08/14/17
20th floor 11/27/17
21st floor 03/11/18

Offline Dlee3

• Quitter
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
This topic might have been addressed at some point prior to my arrival, but I wanted some feedback. The topic is HOF speeches. My question is whether or not I should feel obligated to post one at or near day 100. And I bring this up not to belittle the speeches or question their worthiness. I already know, after reading so many, how valuable they are to our quits. But this has been eating at me as I near 100 days quit.

To me, Hall of Fame means a career of superiority. It means you are or were the best at your chosen field or profession. It means you weren't just rewarded for a "hot streak" but rather a long procession of winning seasons. I am not at all trying to buck this ridiculously awesome KTC staple or those that choose to post their HOF speech at day 100. Instead, I was looking for personal feelings toward this practice for those of us that don't want to do it so soon.

One day, maybe at day 100 but probably not, I WILL write a HOF speech. But what if I don't feel ready to do so at day 100? What if I don't yet feel worthy of HOF at day 100?

This site has been my lifeline. It probably even saved my life. I know I'm now quit. I know the bitch will enter my thoughts but never my body again. But I relish the thought of writing that speech. I relish, as I recently posted, crying my damn eyes out while putting into words taking my damn life back and all that it means to me. But after 16 years, 100 days was basically yesterday. I want to one day, but I'm not ready to write all of that down yet.

Offline Phil16

• Quitter
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
Quote from: tsmith17
Quote from: Evil_Won
Quote from: Kubrick
Quote from: Wt57
It might have been obvious during my first 86 days of quit, but I am an emotional guy and completely unashamed by it.  I turned on the television a few minutes ago and watched Bubba Watson (reigning Masters champ) cry his damn eyeballs out talking about wrapping the green jacket around his newly adopted son soon after winning last years Masters.  Naturally, I cried, too.  And then I couldn't stop crying.  Crying doesn't bother me as a man.  It cleanses me.  It lets me know my heart exists even when it doesn't feel like it.

So I'm sitting here on the couch in tears and it had nothing to do with Bubba Watson or his adopted son.  Like most thoughts of the past three months, it all came back to this fucking disease we call addiction.  My daughter will be eight years old in five days and I've never wrapped her up in something as meaningful as my quit.  Bubba's got his green jacket; I have quit.  I think mine's more valuable.  For eighty-six days, even though she has no idea she's engulfed in the love that exists with my quit, she has been wrapped up in it.  I quit for me, but as I look back, I'm not the most meaningful recipient of my quit.  Humility gives that advantage to her.

Damn, I love fatherhood.  And I love being quit.  First time in sixteen years I've known what integrity actually feels like.  I kinda like it, even if I have to cry.
Damn man, your posts always get my attention because I've admired the way you talk about 'the kid' since day one. I'm kinda emotional too and your comparison of your quit to the green jacket made my eyes blur. Fatherhood is great! I wish I'd gone threw those early years nic free but I am enjoying being a grandfather nicotine free. One of my motivations to quit was when my 4 year old grandson asked me what I was eating while riding in the tractor. Dang I'm glad he hasn't had the opportunity to ask me again. Can't believe your HOF is just around the corner.
I can't believe it either, WT. Actually, I can, but it sounds better to say I can't believe it. Thank YOU for being there for me from day one.
Great stuff! Proud to be quit with you today
awesome as always Dlee.
Integrity. I like that. You sir, have integrity in spades. Keep it up man.
Incredible moment. Thank you for sharing it. Integrity does have a great feel, feels like love.
"That's really tough man, but it doesn't sound like a very compelling reason to stick cancer in your face." j2b

Copenhagen, you have chosen the wrong home. Your death will be slow and painful.

Quit: 12/26/2012
HOF: 4/4/2013

Offline Tsmith17

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Life is good when you're quit.
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2013, 04:26:00 AM »
Quote from: Evil_Won
It might have been obvious during my first 86 days of quit, but I am an emotional guy and completely unashamed by it.  I turned on the television a few minutes ago and watched Bubba Watson (reigning Masters champ) cry his damn eyeballs out talking about wrapping the green jacket around his newly adopted son soon after winning last years Masters.  Naturally, I cried, too.  And then I couldn't stop crying.  Crying doesn't bother me as a man.  It cleanses me.  It lets me know my heart exists even when it doesn't feel like it.

So I'm sitting here on the couch in tears and it had nothing to do with Bubba Watson or his adopted son.  Like most thoughts of the past three months, it all came back to this fucking disease we call addiction.  My daughter will be eight years old in five days and I've never wrapped her up in something as meaningful as my quit.  Bubba's got his green jacket; I have quit.  I think mine's more valuable.  For eighty-six days, even though she has no idea she's engulfed in the love that exists with my quit, she has been wrapped up in it.  I quit for me, but as I look back, I'm not the most meaningful recipient of my quit.  Humility gives that advantage to her.

Damn, I love fatherhood.  And I love being quit.  First time in sixteen years I've known what integrity actually feels like.  I kinda like it, even if I have to cry.
Damn man, your posts always get my attention because I've admired the way you talk about 'the kid' since day one. I'm kinda emotional too and your comparison of your quit to the green jacket made my eyes blur. Fatherhood is great! I wish I'd gone threw those early years nic free but I am enjoying being a grandfather nicotine free. One of my motivations to quit was when my 4 year old grandson asked me what I was eating while riding in the tractor. Dang I'm glad he hasn't had the opportunity to ask me again. Can't believe your HOF is just around the corner.
I can't believe it either, WT. Actually, I can, but it sounds better to say I can't believe it. Thank YOU for being there for me from day one.
awesome as always Dlee.
Integrity. I like that. You sir, have integrity in spades. Keep it up man.

Offline Evil_Won

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: none
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »

awesome as always Dlee.
"Dunno about you HP, but LOOT doesn't like getting assfucked, by anyone....and certainly won't chalk it up to 'shit happens'."

Offline Kubrick

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 3/24/2012
  • Interests: Guiar, bass guitar, Flyfishing, shooting, photography
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »

Quit date 03/24/2012
HOF date 07/01/2012

"The only regret I ever see on this site is from those who fail..." - Sac

My Intro