Author Topic: Finally going to do this...  (Read 6471 times)

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Finally going to do this...
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
Quote from: Dlee3
Ya'll help me out with something.  I'm one of those people that analyzes the hell out of thoughts, ideas, basically stuff that I have not considered before.  That's my disclosure in this question, because it might seem like nothing, but this has been bugging the shit out of me.  It started early last week when it was obviously going to be a shitty week between work, grad school, and realizing each night that there are simply not enough hours in the day.  So here goes the thought that has been basically raping my mind:

"I am making a huge sacrifice by quitting."

That's it.  That's the thought.  Every day it's that or an inbred cousin of that thought.  It might be something like, "Is this sacrifice worth it," but I am stuck with the word "sacrifice."  I'm better than a month in and I'm 100% in committing to my quit, but that thought feels really, really wrong and selfish.  And yet I can't shake it. 

But I'm smart enough to know where to come for advice.  Somebody please tell me how wrong that thought process is so sacrifice can stop gang-raping my noggin.  Thanks!!
D, everything we do is a sacrifice! My hell, look at all the sacrifices you make for 'the kid'! Are they worth it? Is the sacrifice of grad school worth it? I guess it comes down to you asking yourself, why am I making this sacrifice? If your reason is right the sacrifice is worth it! I could come on here and give you tons of reasons I see my sacrifice is worth it. But those are my reasons. You've been here long enough to see what happens when addicts attempt to quit for the wrong reason. The sacrifice isn't worth it and they cave!

Another way I'd rather look at quitting is: Is the freedom and the satisfaction of quitting worth it? I believe I looked at quitting as a sacrifice for awhile but now I don't! Quitting is a blessing in my life that ranks among the most important events of my life. As a old bastard that is past the child raising years (empty nesters for 13 years), well into having fun with grandkids and well into middle age I can say looking back "I wish like hell I had made the 'sacrifice' when I was your age."
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline Dlee3

• Quitter
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
Ya'll help me out with something. I'm one of those people that analyzes the hell out of thoughts, ideas, basically stuff that I have not considered before. That's my disclosure in this question, because it might seem like nothing, but this has been bugging the shit out of me. It started early last week when it was obviously going to be a shitty week between work, grad school, and realizing each night that there are simply not enough hours in the day. So here goes the thought that has been basically raping my mind:

"I am making a huge sacrifice by quitting."

That's it. That's the thought. Every day it's that or an inbred cousin of that thought. It might be something like, "Is this sacrifice worth it," but I am stuck with the word "sacrifice." I'm better than a month in and I'm 100% in committing to my quit, but that thought feels really, really wrong and selfish. And yet I can't shake it.

But I'm smart enough to know where to come for advice. Somebody please tell me how wrong that thought process is so sacrifice can stop gang-raping my noggin. Thanks!!

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
Quote from: jost2brown
Quote from: irish62
Two questions from a stupid noob: 

First, and don't take this to mean I'm ready to pound my fingers into a can of Kodiak after 24 days, but I'm wondering if a particular problem hit a lot of you.  Are you (or were you in the beginning) just sad for absolutely no reason?  Over the past week or so, I just get depressed even when nothing bad happens in my daily life.  I don't know how to describe it really.  I would just call it a deep, deep sadness, almost like grief and maybe worse than grief.  Not boohoo crying grief, but wanting to stick your head under a pillow and not come out for three days grief.  I know a little something about that, and this rates right up there.

Second question:  Anybody get dull headaches behind the eyes that last all day, almost like sinus headaches but without the inability to breathe through your nose?  It's the kind of headache that only really makes sense because of withdrawal.  Again, just curious.  I know the cure for such a headache and I ain't going there.  Thanks guys.
A resounding yes to both. I'm twenty days out from the HOF and i still get some lingering 'blues." Breathe deep, pray, exercise, whatever just keep moving forward and keep your daily promise. The headache was another annoying part for me too, but it too will go away, i promise. Just stay with us, fight hard, dig deep and wake up every morning with that tenacious attitude thats gotten you this far. Proud of you man.
Brain chemistry / dopamine receptor recovery is probably the root cause of a lot of the funks, fogs, etc that happen when we quit.

I went through a lot of that kind of shit through the first 100-150 days - the time between will get longer and the duration will get shorter, but a word of caution that some of them can be very intense even though the duration is pretty short lived

The recommendation of water, exercise, and sleep are good ones; if it gets really bad or becomes a bigger concern, please seek medical attention. While we are all big, bad ass quitters very very few of us are medical professionals and none of us are qualified to treat you over the internet. The point of quitting is to save your life, so dont risk it on something like depression or whatnot
Neurotoxic, pesticide, will do nasty things to a fellas brain when used over a long period.

Nicotine rewires your brain and your ability to regulate endorphins, adrenaline, and dopamine. It literally hijacks your body's chemical reward system. It steals your ability to feel good without it.

When you are recovering from being held chemically hostage things are gonna get a bit wonky. Can't sleep, then sleep all the time. Can't concentrate. Psychotic rage for no apparent reason, then cry at an episode of Full House. Can't motivate to change the channel, then have enough energy to paint the house. Sound familiar?

Totally normal. Your nicotine soaked brain is just trying to figure shit out. The body will heal itself but right now your like Bambi on ice. You are going to need to be patient with yourself and allow your brain to rewire. As the nicotine receptors die off and new neural pathways form , you'll feel better. Be patient.

The headaches are simpler. It is literally caused by MORE oxygen getting to the brain than your used to. That's a good thing, may make you smarter. They usually pass pretty quickly as your noggin adapts. When you used nicotine it constricted you blood vessels, without it your BP is probably lower and your circulation has improved.

Best thing you can do to keep from acting like a Hells Angel with PMS is to exercise. Even a walk around the block a few times a day will do it. Studies have shown that exercise will reduce both the duration and frequency of craves. It will also help regulate your emotions. I literally would leave the office and walk around the building a few times a day.

One day at a time

sm

LINK TO NICOTINE ADDICTION 101

http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/112/Nicotine- ... RVo8qXho08
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline J2b

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
    • May 11
  • Quit Date: 01/23/2011
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 12:12:00 AM »
Quote from: irish62

First, and don't take this to mean I'm ready to pound my fingers into a can of Kodiak after 24 days, but I'm wondering if a particular problem hit a lot of you.  Are you (or were you in the beginning) just sad for absolutely no reason?  Over the past week or so, I just get depressed even when nothing bad happens in my daily life.  I don't know how to describe it really.  I would just call it a deep, deep sadness, almost like grief and maybe worse than grief.  Not boohoo crying grief, but wanting to stick your head under a pillow and not come out for three days grief.  I know a little something about that, and this rates right up there.

Second question:  Anybody get dull headaches behind the eyes that last all day, almost like sinus headaches but without the inability to breathe through your nose?  It's the kind of headache that only really makes sense because of withdrawal.  Again, just curious.  I know the cure for such a headache and I ain't going there.  Thanks guys.
A resounding yes to both. I'm twenty days out from the HOF and i still get some lingering 'blues." Breathe deep, pray, exercise, whatever just keep moving forward and keep your daily promise. The headache was another annoying part for me too, but it too will go away, i promise. Just stay with us, fight hard, dig deep and wake up every morning with that tenacious attitude thats gotten you this far. Proud of you man.
Brain chemistry / dopamine receptor recovery is probably the root cause of a lot of the funks, fogs, etc that happen when we quit.

I went through a lot of that kind of shit through the first 100-150 days - the time between will get longer and the duration will get shorter, but a word of caution that some of them can be very intense even though the duration is pretty short lived

The recommendation of water, exercise, and sleep are good ones; if it gets really bad or becomes a bigger concern, please seek medical attention. While we are all big, bad ass quitters very very few of us are medical professionals and none of us are qualified to treat you over the internet. The point of quitting is to save your life, so dont risk it on something like depression or whatnot
The problem is not the problem.  The problem is your attitude about the problem.  Do you understand?

Draw Fire

If its too much trouble to post roll call, you could always fuck off.

Quit Group: May 11 3 Balled Quitters

• Quit: 01/23/11

Offline irish62

• Quitter
  • Interests: My family and the Law.
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »

First, and don't take this to mean I'm ready to pound my fingers into a can of Kodiak after 24 days, but I'm wondering if a particular problem hit a lot of you. Are you (or were you in the beginning) just sad for absolutely no reason? Over the past week or so, I just get depressed even when nothing bad happens in my daily life. I don't know how to describe it really. I would just call it a deep, deep sadness, almost like grief and maybe worse than grief. Not boohoo crying grief, but wanting to stick your head under a pillow and not come out for three days grief. I know a little something about that, and this rates right up there.

Second question: Anybody get dull headaches behind the eyes that last all day, almost like sinus headaches but without the inability to breathe through your nose? It's the kind of headache that only really makes sense because of withdrawal. Again, just curious. I know the cure for such a headache and I ain't going there. Thanks guys.
We don't accomplish anything in this world alone... and whatever happens is the result of the whole tapestry of one's life and all the weavings of individual threads from one to another that creates something. Sandra Day O'Connor.

Offline Dlee3

• Quitter
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »

First, and don't take this to mean I'm ready to pound my fingers into a can of Kodiak after 24 days, but I'm wondering if a particular problem hit a lot of you. Are you (or were you in the beginning) just sad for absolutely no reason? Over the past week or so, I just get depressed even when nothing bad happens in my daily life. I don't know how to describe it really. I would just call it a deep, deep sadness, almost like grief and maybe worse than grief. Not boohoo crying grief, but wanting to stick your head under a pillow and not come out for three days grief. I know a little something about that, and this rates right up there.

Second question: Anybody get dull headaches behind the eyes that last all day, almost like sinus headaches but without the inability to breathe through your nose? It's the kind of headache that only really makes sense because of withdrawal. Again, just curious. I know the cure for such a headache and I ain't going there. Thanks guys.

Offline J2b

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
    • May 11
  • Quit Date: 01/23/2011
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
That was friggin' hilarious, dude. You have one hell of an imagination. Either that or you are more than a little loco. Thanks for the laugh.
Door #2, alex. SM is a friggin lunatic quitter.
The problem is not the problem.  The problem is your attitude about the problem.  Do you understand?

Draw Fire

If its too much trouble to post roll call, you could always fuck off.

Quit Group: May 11 3 Balled Quitters

• Quit: 01/23/11

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Quote from: cdaniels
Quote from: Skoal
Quote from: Wt57
Quote from: Diesel2112
BTW, I've been religious to this damn website for nearly two weeks and I keep noticing how most of you vets have green squares under your name.  What do they signify and when/how do I get my green squares?  Just curious.

And wt57, I have never met Diesel and, though I'm sure his yeast infections are world class infections, I would prefer to get a yeast infection from a woman.  I would prefer not to get one at all, but given an option, her handle would probably not reference petroleum.  :)  Thanks for the laugh, WT.
I believe you get a little green square for every 100 posts you make. I just noticed I have 6 squares now and just clipped the 600 post mark. Seems like a lot until I look at other guys who have thousands of posts. A lot of people doing work to help others remain quit in here. You can't get that kind of support from a titanium jock strap but you could get a yeast infection.
Some days all we can do is quit and laugh! How does that saying go? Laughter is chicken soup for the soul Funny I've never noticed the green squares, are you sure that its not the times you have pissed off a mod or admin. lol
Green Squares are awarded for the following achievements

Square One

You have to spend 10 minutes in the closet with Gmann. a case of lukewarm enchiladas, and a animatronic donkey.

Square Two

Go to the local 7-11 wearing only a ballerina tutu a raccoon hat and clown shoes that honk when you walk. When anyone comes in you must tell them " this is what happens when you chew tobacco" While river dancing.

Square Three

Find a Jehovah witness church and proceed to loudly interrupt all their functions by barging in and asking if they would like to talk about the Gospel of Quit according to Loot. Extra points for offering them the Enchilladas from the closet and wearing the raccoon hat.

Square Four

You must master the art of juggling monkeys. Live monkeys. Bonus points if the monkeys or you are on fire during the activity.

Square Five

Mail all the burnt monkeys from your previous endeavor to the C.E.O. of U.S Tobacco, demand a formal apology letter from him for being a drug dealing, lying, douche nozzle. If his attorney responds negatively you may at your option, shit in the raccoon hat and mail it to the attorney postage due.

Square 6

If offered a dip at any point in your quit you are required to take the can. Place it on the ground. Stomp the shit out of it with your honking clown shoes, while giggling like a window licking half wit. If the owner of the can takes offense you may punch him in the windpipe with the force of Chuck Norris on steroids. When the cops come you can explain that you were defending yourself from attempted murder. Bonus points if your acquitted.

Square 7

You must wear a bra and outrageously huge fake boobs to the local pharmacy. When ever anyone tries to by nicorette or the patch, you should point to your boobs and exclaim " side effects" Then picket the pharmacy counter until they admit that NRT doesn't work. Extra points for flatulence that clears the whole store.

Square 8

Enter the gas station of your choice with a mouth full of Oreo's and slightly curdled buttermilk. When the clerk asks what you would like. Sneeze on the tobacco rack.
Say nothing.

Square 9

Help a fellow quitter make it through the day. By writing a preposterous post.

Square 10

Stay quit.
hahahahahaha that was good
Wish I could have skipped that 1st square! But 10 is great!!

Offline Dlee3

• Quitter
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
That was friggin' hilarious, dude. You have one hell of an imagination. Either that or you are more than a little loco. Thanks for the laugh.

Offline cdaniels

• Quitter
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Quote from: Skoal
BTW, I've been religious to this damn website for nearly two weeks and I keep noticing how most of you vets have green squares under your name.  What do they signify and when/how do I get my green squares?  Just curious.

And wt57, I have never met Diesel and, though I'm sure his yeast infections are world class infections, I would prefer to get a yeast infection from a woman.  I would prefer not to get one at all, but given an option, her handle would probably not reference petroleum.  :)  Thanks for the laugh, WT.
I believe you get a little green square for every 100 posts you make. I just noticed I have 6 squares now and just clipped the 600 post mark. Seems like a lot until I look at other guys who have thousands of posts. A lot of people doing work to help others remain quit in here. You can't get that kind of support from a titanium jock strap but you could get a yeast infection.
Some days all we can do is quit and laugh! How does that saying go? Laughter is chicken soup for the soul Funny I've never noticed the green squares, are you sure that its not the times you have pissed off a mod or admin. lol

Square One

You have to spend 10 minutes in the closet with Gmann. a case of lukewarm enchiladas, and a animatronic donkey.

Square Two

Go to the local 7-11 wearing only a ballerina tutu a raccoon hat and clown shoes that honk when you walk. When anyone comes in you must tell them " this is what happens when you chew tobacco" While river dancing.

Square Three

Find a Jehovah witness church and proceed to loudly interrupt all their functions by barging in and asking if they would like to talk about the Gospel of Quit according to Loot. Extra points for offering them the Enchilladas from the closet and wearing the raccoon hat.

Square Four

You must master the art of juggling monkeys. Live monkeys. Bonus points if the monkeys or you are on fire during the activity.

Square Five

Mail all the burnt monkeys from your previous endeavor to the C.E.O. of U.S Tobacco, demand a formal apology letter from him for being a drug dealing, lying, douche nozzle. If his attorney responds negatively you may at your option, shit in the raccoon hat and mail it to the attorney postage due.

Square 6

If offered a dip at any point in your quit you are required to take the can. Place it on the ground. Stomp the shit out of it with your honking clown shoes, while giggling like a window licking half wit. If the owner of the can takes offense you may punch him in the windpipe with the force of Chuck Norris on steroids. When the cops come you can explain that you were defending yourself from attempted murder. Bonus points if your acquitted.

Square 7

You must wear a bra and outrageously huge fake boobs to the local pharmacy. When ever anyone tries to by nicorette or the patch, you should point to your boobs and exclaim " side effects" Then picket the pharmacy counter until they admit that NRT doesn't work. Extra points for flatulence that clears the whole store.

Square 8

Enter the gas station of your choice with a mouth full of Oreo's and slightly curdled buttermilk. When the clerk asks what you would like. Sneeze on the tobacco rack.
Say nothing.

Square 9

Square 10

Stay quit.
hahahahahaha that was good
Quit date 11-20-12
Never again for any reason. I quit for today. Today I live.
http://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?showtopic=7796
http://www.killthecan.org/facts/contract.asp

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »

Square One

Square Two

Square Three

Square Four

Square Five

Square 6

Square 7

Square 8

Say nothing.

Square 9

Square 10

Stay quit.
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 05:37:00 AM »

Offline Diesel2112

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
BTW, I've been religious to this damn website for nearly two weeks and I keep noticing how most of you vets have green squares under your name. What do they signify and when/how do I get my green squares? Just curious.

And wt57, I have never met Diesel and, though I'm sure his yeast infections are world class infections, I would prefer to get a yeast infection from a woman. I would prefer not to get one at all, but given an option, her handle would probably not reference petroleum. :) Thanks for the laugh, WT.
Quit 06/04/12
HOF 9/11/12
2nd floor 12/20/12
3rd floor 03/30/13
4th floor 07/08/13
5th floor 10/16/13
6th floor 01/24/14
7th floor 05/04/14
8th floor 08/12/14
9th floor 10/20/14
Comma 02/28/15
11th floor 06/08/15
12th floor 09/16/15
13th floor 12/25/15
14th floor 04/03/16
15th floor 7/11/16
16th floor 10/20/16
17th floor 01/27/17
18th floor 05/08/17
19th floor 08/14/17
20th floor 11/27/17
21st floor 03/11/18

"Celebrate the moment as it turns into one more"..
"You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win, win without a fight".
"Onion rings...funyons. A connection? Yeah. I fucking think so."
"Honest Abe had a fake jaw".
"In a world that seems so small, I can't stop thinking big"
"Someone set a bad example. Made surrender seem all right
The act of a noble warrior. Who lost the will to fight."

Offline Diesel2112

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
It was fake rage.  Never knew this shit could actually be a little bit fun.  Noticed last night that my entire tongue was even completely pink again.  Need to go get me a yeast infection!!  :P
Diesel is always ready!! Unless he is space docking with DAG!
I am always ready for action...
Quit 06/04/12
HOF 9/11/12
2nd floor 12/20/12
3rd floor 03/30/13
4th floor 07/08/13
5th floor 10/16/13
6th floor 01/24/14
7th floor 05/04/14
8th floor 08/12/14
9th floor 10/20/14
Comma 02/28/15
11th floor 06/08/15
12th floor 09/16/15
13th floor 12/25/15
14th floor 04/03/16
15th floor 7/11/16
16th floor 10/20/16
17th floor 01/27/17
18th floor 05/08/17
19th floor 08/14/17
20th floor 11/27/17
21st floor 03/11/18

"Celebrate the moment as it turns into one more"..
"You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win, win without a fight".
"Onion rings...funyons. A connection? Yeah. I fucking think so."
"Honest Abe had a fake jaw".
"In a world that seems so small, I can't stop thinking big"
"Someone set a bad example. Made surrender seem all right
The act of a noble warrior. Who lost the will to fight."

Offline Dlee3

• Quitter
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
BTW, I've been religious to this damn website for nearly two weeks and I keep noticing how most of you vets have green squares under your name. What do they signify and when/how do I get my green squares? Just curious.

And wt57, I have never met Diesel and, though I'm sure his yeast infections are world class infections, I would prefer to get a yeast infection from a woman. I would prefer not to get one at all, but given an option, her handle would probably not reference petroleum. :) Thanks for the laugh, WT.