Author Topic: I"m in- just found my way  (Read 24366 times)

Offline rdad

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 11/22/13
  • Interests: All Shooting Sports, Reloading, Fly Fishing, and Music.
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: I"m in- just found my way
« Reply #345 on: October 22, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
Quote from: AppleJack
Quote from: worktowin
2 years of freedom!!!

Congratulations Brett - and thanks for all of the support along the way. You are officially FOG FREE!
Yeah, man! Congrats brother!
Oh Man Brett! This is a huge milestone. I can tell you for sure I would not be here without you trudging along one month ahead of me.
Well done Brother. Take a minute to think about where you were 2 years ago. You claimed your freedom and never looked back! 'worship'

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #344 on: October 22, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
2 years of freedom!!!

Congratulations Brett - and thanks for all of the support along the way. You are officially FOG FREE!
2 trips around the sun, nice quit brother!
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #343 on: October 22, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
2 years of freedom!!!

Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #342 on: October 22, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
2 years of freedom!!!

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #341 on: October 15, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
Monday night football- San Diego meetup- coming right up! More details to come,
But let's do it!!!!
This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »
It's been a while since i posted anything about the quit journey, but it's worth putting a couple new, recent, events here. First, a snapshot of life at 700 days, less than 10% but more than 5% of the time i spent actively addicted and using. Life is so much better now. Every little bit of struggle in the early quit, and every challenge since then, is worth it. And it wasn't easy! The fog that lasted so long i thought i had brain damage. The pain. The tests life threw my way. Not that more won't come, but man, so far so AMAZING it is to be free. I'm still struck sometimes, and grateful more often that I finally learned that in order to successfully quit, i needed to learn about the addiction i was trapped in in gory detail, and i needed a support network with daily maintenance on my part.

Now... dip dreams. They still happen. A quit-class bro of mine also said he still gets them. I had one the other night- it was crazier than ever. The dentist had me pack one in, as part of what he was doing to treat a cavity i had. I thought, in the dream, that i should ask him if there was another way since I'm a nicotine addict who is quit. And, i hoped that i wouldnt have to go through withdrawal like i did before, and that i wouldn't be hooked. I didnt get the chance to ask for the alternative, because i woke up. My friend Rdad always has a great attitude about quitting, and he points out about dip dreams is that they are great when you wake up because you realize they aren't real. That's the perspective i took on this one. That, and it was a really strange one.

And, today, at a health conference in DC, i was on the elevator with two other guys, one of whom is a doctor- as in physician. He packed in a "pinch between the cheek and gums" of my old crutch/bitch Copenhagen. Would have surprised me, but for the doctors, dentists, etc. here among us at KTC. The smell was bad, but the nicbitch also tried to whisper to me that it'd set me free to have some. I guess the claws are still in me. I'm grateful for the reminder that I still have to work against complacency, which is the main battle i see after a certain amount of time gets you to relearn old habits after beating withdrawal first.

So, i've been busy learning how to live without dip, for nearly two years, after over 30 of using, nearly 30 of being clearly addicted and helpless to quit. It's still a new way of being, and the pulls away from it still come- but the key is i know how to deal with those, and it still gets better all the time. The key at this point is keeping accountability and support maintained by regular effort on my part- regular posting, and keeping communications alive with a ragtag collection of absolute heroes i've met here at KTC that help me just by being there, sharing life as it comes and goes, and caring about each other. The connection, the relationships, really do matter the most now. And you have to work to keep them going so they are then when you might need them. And in the meantime, life is simply more rich than before.

Quit on!
If you haven't quit yet, DO IT NOW! Don't set a date! JUST DO IT! get through the hard part up front, and it just keeps getting better. The more you put in, the better it is for the long haul.
If you have a newer quit and are reading the site to help your understanding of what you are going through, and to help your sanity, HANG IN THERE! everything you have gone through, someone else has also. Read enough and youll find it all here. It helped me a lot to see my story in the stories of others, early in their quit. Drink it all in, maintain your quit, keep making friends and connections here- they will help you immeasurably in the long run.
This all works-- you just to have work it to make it happen!
This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!

Offline CavMan83

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 2014-06-10
  • Interests: Bass Fishing, music, all things motorsports, National Defense
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #339 on: September 22, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
Quote from: brettlees
Quote from: rdad
Quote from: Pinched
Quote from: B-loMatt
Quote from: ChristopherJ
Brett - Congrats on 700 brother! It's been great to have a badass quitter like you supporting me. Onward my friend!
Floor 7 is sweet. Congratulations on another big win Brett!
7th floor Kudos BadAssQuitter! 'oh yeah' Enjoy your freedom Brett!
Just another day in the life...congrats Brett on crushing yet another milestone.
Congrats Brett! Keep going, and I will keep following.
Dogpile!!

Congrats my brother! Proud to have shared in the journey with you!
You guys all rock! Thanks for the support- it makes the difference from all the failed attempts for years!
Mr. RedHorse,

Cannot tell you how many times I have directed noobs to your name SOLELY to pull the information you had contained in your signature block and read that information. You sir, are becoming legend! Quit on! Proud to be following in your wake!

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
« Reply #338 on: September 22, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
Brett - Congrats on 700 brother! It's been great to have a badass quitter like you supporting me. Onward my friend!
Just another day in the life...congrats Brett on crushing yet another milestone.
Dogpile!!

You guys all rock! Thanks for the support- it makes the difference from all the failed attempts for years!

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #337 on: September 22, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
Dogpile!!

Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline rdad

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 11/22/13
  • Interests: All Shooting Sports, Reloading, Fly Fishing, and Music.
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »

Offline Pinched

• Quit King
  • Interests: Baseball, Hunting, Trucks, Diesels, Scouting,
« Reply #335 on: September 22, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
"If you want to quit then stop talking and just QUIT. If you want to kill yourself a bullet is cheaper and faster than a tin, plus it eliminates my hearing you whine and cry like a bitch."

Best thing I have read on KTC...Submitted by tgafish on 7/3/14

Former Skoal Straight and Cope Longcut user that started at the age of 12. QUIT on 7/15/13

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
« Reply #334 on: September 22, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #333 on: September 22, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »

Offline ChristopherJ

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: Sept 17, 2014
  • Interests: Travel, music, sports, art,
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #332 on: September 22, 2015, 06:56:00 AM »
Don't be afraid.  You are not alone.

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
« Reply #331 on: June 19, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
Quote from: CBird65
Quote from: wastepanel
Quote from: sh4string
Quote from: traumagnet
Quote from: Steakbomb18
Quote from: SAM83
Quote from: Thumblewort
600!!! Man life sure is great when you are winning every day! Thanks for helping so many of us on your own journey!
Enjoy a big milestone today!
Nice 6 hundo Brett!
Congrats on 600 to my brother in quit. Thank you for making my quit better.
Congrats on 600!
Way to be Brett. I would not be here without you. Keep climbing and I'll keep following.
'Sing and Drink' 'wave' 'party' 'poledancer' 'hit it' 'do it' 'party2' 'party2' 'do it' 'hit it' 'poledancer' 'party' 'wave' 'Sing and Drink'

For all that you do and all the emoticons you post...this one's for you bud
'oh yeah' rock star man congrats on 600 thank you for being part of my quit...enjoy your day
Congrats on 600 Brett! You have been a huge part of my quit and I appreciate it! I think this warrants a celebration!
Proud to be doing this side by side bro!
Nice job Brother!!!! On to 700!!
Keep it up man. Very proud of you.
my kind of dog pile !!!

'oh yeah'
I've been busy traveling and working hard, where internet is pretty limited. Just saw this today and almost teared up from how much I appreciate the support from each and every one of you quit heroes! Thanks so much for helping me. I still fight daily with each of you, and some days you are the difference.

New quitters: build a network here. It's what finally made it possible for me to be quit this long, through some pretty tough struggles.